Upset by P & O!!!

tps

Thanks for posting this - it has made me aware and I'll now keep a close eye on the bank transactions when our payment is due. I'm sure others will be grateful for the heads up too.

Hopefully P&O will sort this problem out asap so others won't suffer the same inconvenience and worry and I trust your situation will be remedied very quickly to your satisfaction tps - also widdo. Good luck.

He's a good chap. Had very good experience with him. I always use a cc - there is no extra charge on P&O for this.

Yes P&O change 1.5% for CC on bookings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jason12

Not sure where you have read there is a charge for settling onboard account, I have never been charged. They ask you to register your credit card at checkin for onboard purchases although you can register a debit card instead.

Think there might be a mutiny if they then charge you a fee for using the credit card to settle the bill at the end of your cruise 😧

They definitely do not charge for your credit card used to settle the onboard account.

Yes - our experience too. I wonder why they then choose to adopt a different policy and apply a % charge to pay for your cruise.

There must be some rationale behind it....... hope you will spend more freely on board if it can go on a CC? Assume if you have decided to go on holiday and spend quite a lot of money, a small surcharge is hardly noticed? I'm sure there's some psychology at play here - at least in their minds. They wouldn't pass up the opportunity to put an extra charge on the obs unless they thought the concession was worth it. Or am I being too cynical?

Edited by kruzseeka

Yes - our experience too. I wonder why they then choose to adopt a different policy and apply a % charge to pay for your cruise.

There must be some rationale behind it....... hope you will spend more freely on board if it can go on a CC? Assume if you have decided to go on holiday and spend quite a lot of money, a small surcharge is hardly noticed? I'm sure there's some psychology at play here - at least in their minds. They wouldn't pass up the opportunity to put an extra charge on the obs unless they thought the concession was worth it. Or am I being too cynical?

They add cc charges at 1.5% on bookings and dont include it in the initial price of the cruise to keep headline prices as low as possible.

I suspect the main reason is because the profit margin on the cruise price, especially saver fares will be quite low, whereas the profit margin on your on board spend, for drinks, shore excursion or shopping is probably astronomical.

They certainly don't put cc charge on the on board account. The charge for the cruise booking is applied when booking "off the ship", waived for bookings made aboard. Of course you don't have to pay by cc, we always use a debit card and avoid the charge. Not sure if this still applies, but with the initial deposit payment they would accept cc without a charge.

We get a 1% cash back on our cc so, "every little helps"

David

Can't remember seeing it on the CP but it is definitely itemised on our 'Booking Confirmation' documentation we received from P&O. They also sent an updated one after we had further credit added showing the revised amount.

I suspect the main reason is because the profit margin on the cruise price, especially saver fares will be quite low, whereas the profit margin on your on board spend, for drinks, shore excursion or shopping is probably astronomical.

That makes a lot of sense.

We always take a CC and Debit card and confirm whether CCs incur a charge before registering a card since, as already mentioned, different cruise lines vary in their policy on this.

Just out of interest... Should On Board Credit show up somewhere in your cruise personaliser? I was given some with my booking but can see it mentioned anywhere.

Should look something like this.e2213ccf486e675dbf247a3a49cc9103.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crikey - £1240 OBC???????? I wouldn't be able to spend all that.

Haha its 24 nights so £240 is for tips, plus my wife likes the shops if there is any left. :)

Edited by Jason12

Hope this gets sorted quickly for you, i always pay by credit card in case something like this happens, can't have my mortgage payment bounced!!

Fab1, I don't think the Obc does show on your personaliser. I could see mine on my email booking confirmation.

Just to go back to the original post regarding being charged twice for your cruise balance. I've just booked our first two P and O cruises and used our usual travel agent, so I pay them and not P and O directly by doing this it should stop the chance of this happening. I checked the cruises price on the website for booking direct with P and O and there was no difference and I still got the OBC . We have a fabulous lady at our travel agent who sorts everything out, even a pretty hefty complaint I had on our last cruise which she sorted with the cruise line to a very satisfactory conclusion. My advice for what it's worth, use a travel agent let them sort the problems out

Glyn

Hi P&O SUE

Dont think I said OBC shows on personaliser it only shows on your booking confirmation, although it was Canuguess who asked the question. Dont recall mentioning OBC 😕

Just to go back to the original post regarding being charged twice for your cruise balance. I've just booked our first two P and O cruises and used our usual travel agent, so I pay them and not P and O directly by doing this it should stop the chance of this happening. I checked the cruises price on the website for booking direct with P and O and there was no difference and I still got the OBC . We have a fabulous lady at our travel agent who sorts everything out, even a pretty hefty complaint I had on our last cruise which she sorted with the cruise line to a very satisfactory conclusion. My advice for what it's worth, use a travel agent let them sort the problems out

Glyn

My travel agent gives 7% discount off the P&O website price...you should be getting some sort of discount if using a TA..