Norwegian Cruise Line Boss Hints at Asia Move; Insists a la Carte Dining is Here to S

LauraS

<sarcasm alert>

NCL is becoming more health-conscious.:rolleyes:

They are dissuading the gluttons from ordering multiple 'this-that-and-the-other' and then leaving most of it or scoffing the lot.

A-la-carte prices might make people consider a bit more, what they are piling on their plates.

Maybe all of the posts about doing two speciality restaurants in one evening sparked off this change?

If people want a gluttony-fest they can go to the buffet and fill their wheelbarrow.

Didn't the news announcement said that some of appretizers are starting at $4.99 to $7.99 and the main entrees are $12.99 to $25.99? Isn't the a la carte pricing come out alot better for those that just want salad, soup, appretizers with or without main entree?

Regarding dining plan, paying $70 per person for 3 days is cheaper than paying a la carte for full 3 course meal for one person for 2 days. Another, reason why the complaining is not making sense when it comes down to money.

My point is I want to go ONCE to the specialty restaurants! Also now a $7.99 app and an $25.99 entrée is more than the original cover charge-forget adding a salad and dessert.

Couldn't they give us a choice at the restaurant-would you like a la carte or regular menu???

I'll politely disagree with you. I don't think it has a THING to do with food waste but rather REVENUE. I for one have never ordered anything at the specialty offerings while leaving significant portions uneaten on my plate. 12 cruises on NCL so far and I've never witnessed a table being left with gross amounts of uneaten food. Just my observation and opinions of course

I agree with you 100%. I also have never left anything uneaten on my plate at a specialty restaurant. Wait, once in a while I eat just 1/2 my dessert! So sue me!

Edited by boopsahoy

""The new policy is first being introduced to Norwegian Escape, before being rolled out to the rest of the fleet next year.

Stuart added: "We can tell that there a few that don't like it, but it hasn't had a terrible reaction.""

Two statements that remind me of two things:

1. The NEW COKE

2. Royal Caribbean's Dynamic Dining.

bosco

Do you look at drink prices at the bar? Wine prices from the wine list?

Spa prices at the spa? Salon prices at the salon?

Gift prices in the gift shop? Gold by the inch prices in the atrium?

There are prices ALL OVER the ship.... why should the specialty restaurant be any different.

Heck, there already WERE differing prices - and some optional add-ons once you were inside.

There's really not all that much different, EXCEPT that people might think twice about "sample" ordering things that they didn't finish, which used to result in food waste.

All-in-all, it makes sense to me. I like it. It might even discourage me from having dessert, which isn't a bad thing.

Stephen

I don't have a problem with the change. I don't see a net cost increase. Yes, perhaps I will skip dessert as well.

""The new policy is first being introduced to Norwegian Escape, before being rolled out to the rest of the fleet next year.

Stuart added: "We can tell that there a few that don't like it, but it hasn't had a terrible reaction.""

Two statements that remind me of two things:

1. The NEW COKE

2. Royal Caribbean's Dynamic Dining.

bosco

"Not terrible" = NCL's new slogan?

This reminds me of "Freestyle 2.0" circa 2008. I sincerely hope it works for them, personally I have my doubts. I find myself crunching more numbers and comparing other cruise lines now. Not so much for the $$$ but for the ease of estimating a vacation cost at other cruise lines. Doesn't seem to be a quality move just a "make more $$$'s move".

Cheers.

...There's really not all that much different, EXCEPT that people might think twice about "sample" ordering things that they didn't finish, which used to result in food waste...

That is what I loved about the specialty restaurants, if I wanted to try something I would. In 2016 if I order something a la carte and it isn't up to my expectations I will really be ticked off. Where in the past (ribs in Cagney's w/UDP), I would let it go.

I've been fine with most of the recent announcements, even the ridiculous not bringing food back to the room. But this is the dumbest one and the one that will make me consider cruising other lines, even if it involves me flying to the port.

My own opinion is that NCL recognizes that most people are unwilling to pay for al a carte, and does not expect to make more money on the al a carte itself. Rather it expects that the al a carte pricing will drive many more people to purchase the UDP, which will increase revenue. And, of course, some people will not care at all about al a carte pricing and will pay for whatever they want to eat.

My own guess is that it will be a successful strategy. Folks who used to buy one or two specialty dinners now will say, oh, it is a much better value if I but the 3 dinner plan.... We never purchased the full week plan because we get two platinum dinners, but we often purchased an additional 2 or so on each cruise, depending on port intensity and where we were. Now, there is little doubt that we will buy at least some package, because my husband likes 2 or 3 apps, then soup, then salad, then an entree, and often dessert as well. I usually get an app, a salad, an entree and dessert. Al a carte would kill people like us. Thus, they have converted an occasional specialty user to a more frequent one, and I suspect many others will be converted as well.

Terry

That is what I loved about the specialty restaurants, if I wanted to try something I would. In 2016 if I order something a la carte and it isn't up to my expectations I will really be ticked off. Where in the past (ribs in Cagney's w/UDP), I would let it go.

I've been fine with most of the recent announcements, even the ridiculous not bringing food back to the room. But this is the dumbest one and the one that will make me consider cruising other lines, even if it involves me flying to the port.

If you take a bite of something and you don't like it, ask if you can substitute something else, I'm sure they will be agreeable unless you have eaten half of it or the whole thing. Edited by NLH Arizona

Everyone doesn't like the same things. I think the a la carte pricing is great, especially for those that don't want to eat a big meal. If you go to the restaurants and you don't want the a la carte pricing, you can always purchase a UDP/SDP for 3 days or for the whole cruise.

I agree. In the end, it's not so different than buying the UBP or choosing to buy drinks a la carte. If you don't want to worry, get the Specialty Dining Package or Ultimate Dining Package. And remember that while they did opt to change to a la carte pricing, they also introduced the 3 day Specialty Dining Package in addition to the Ultimate Dining Package. Despite the negativity on this board, I do feel like NCL is TRYING to stay true to the idea of Freestyle Cruising: offering choices.

The a la carte dining in the specialty restaurants isn't a bad idea. Stuart had a very valid point.

BUT (and there's always a but), the implementation of this is key. For instance, if you can get a an app, salad, ribeye, and desert at Cagney's for around $35-$40, it equals out to what the cover is now.

But if NCL jacks up the prices on everything so you can't get out of Cagney's for under $60+ I don't think too many people will be dining there. We ate at Cagney's 3 times on our last cruise and it's good, but not great like a Morton's.

Only time will tell with how they price items in the individual specialty restaurants.

Their new dining package that just started is all inclusive isn't it? So either they're now offering an all inclusive speciality dining package that you can customize, and an a la carte option or is the dining package going to soon only include the main dish? Kind of like the dining package had no gratuities, then it had gratuities added, but gratuities included if you had the dining package, then gratuities extra when you had dining package.

Kind of ironic that about a year ago the big package offered was AI because that's how NCL freestyles, per Kevin Sheehan, and now it's al la carte because that's how NCL freestyles. bTW that AI package was a really great deal for those who booked a suite, usually free with the 10%off fare and a really poor deal for those in the cheapest rooms. I like the idea that you can do AI meal if desired or pay less if desired which seems to be the case unless the new specialty dining package has been scrapped. The new USD package that can be customized is a great idea too as long as it's AI.

Edited by littlelulu01

My own opinion is that NCL recognizes that most people are unwilling to pay for al a carte, and does not expect to make more money on the al a carte itself. Rather it expects that the al a carte pricing will drive many more people to purchase the UDP, which will increase revenue. And, of course, some people will not care at all about al a carte pricing and will pay for whatever they want to eat.

My own guess is that it will be a successful strategy. Folks who used to buy one or two specialty dinners now will say, oh, it is a much better value if I but the 3 dinner plan.... We never purchased the full week plan because we get two platinum dinners, but we often purchased an additional 2 or so on each cruise, depending on port intensity and where we were. Now, there is little doubt that we will buy at least some package, because my husband likes 2 or 3 apps, then soup, then salad, then an entree, and often dessert as well. I usually get an app, a salad, an entree and dessert. Al a carte would kill people like us. Thus, they have converted an occasional specialty user to a more frequent one, and I suspect many others will be converted as well.

Terry

Agree. This sounds like the most plausible explanation.

Some hints at pricing from NCL:

At Cagney's Steakhouse, starters on the new à la carte menu range from $4.99 to $7.95 and main courses from $17.99 to $29.99, featuring Certified Angus Beef[emoji768] brand steaks, the world's leading Angus brand and consumers' top choice for premium beef. At Le Bistro, guests will find delicious new main courses in addition to traditional French favorites, including Bouillabaisse, Pan-Seared Jumbo Bay Scallops and Veal Medallions with Sauce Morrel, starting at $15.99. And guests looking to find a taste of "la dolce vita" will be transported to the Mediterranean when they choose from an expanded menu at La Cucina, featuring antipasti, pasta, risotto and traditional secondi courses starting at $12.99 including Osso Buco alla Milanese, Free-Range Chicken with Prosciutto or Pan-Seared Sea Bass Filet.

Moderno Churrascaria and Teppanyaki will remain at a cover charge of $19.95 and $29.95 respectively, as will entertainment dining including Wine Lovers The Musical and For The Record?: The Brat Pack.

Guests who purchase a Norwegian Specialty Dining Package have the freedom to indulge as they wish, as Specialty Dining Packages will allow guests to enjoy La Cucina, Le Bistro and Cagney's Steakhouse at no additional charge. Guests with a Specialty Dining Package can dine in Bayamo by Jose Garces for an additional fee of $15.

So you're at $23 at cagneys with JUST the cheapest app and main, which I am guessing is not actually a steak, no mention of soup/salad/side/dessert etc.

Edited by perditax

Eh on getting into the Asian market. Doesn't interest me at all. While I am sure a few Americans are interested, this is more a ploy to take advance of a huge Asian gambling market, I'm sure.

I will bet they do away with a la carte dining within 90 days. They aren't thinking through the groups that will take up a big table and just order appetizers or couples that will split an entree. It will create a scheduling nightmare.

Edited by conandrob240

Eh on getting into the Asian market. Doesn't interest me at all. While I am sure a few Americans are interested, this is more a ploy to take advance of a huge Asian gambling market, I'm sure.

I will bet they do away with a la carte dining within 90 days. They aren't thinking through the groups that will take up a big table and just order appetizers or couples that will split an entree. It will create a scheduling nightmare.

Yes but the Disney dining packages are wildly popular even though a la carte for those who don't eat much or split plate costs a fraction. The difference though is that Disney can accommodate a lot more in their restaurants vs a ship with very little room and so Disney can absorb the diners who pay a fraction of what the package person is paying.

I really like him.

If I ever get to go to Asia, I'm sure I'd make it a land trip instead of a cruise, but I still think this is great for NCL to open up new departure points.

I hope you don't like him solely based on the decision for NCL to venture into the Asian market. This was already in the works when Kevin Sheehan was still there. He (Mr. Sheehan) attended our M&G on the NCL Sun in 2014 and mentioned this and Australia as two future NCL destinations.