Turkey - anyone worried?

It all bears watching. We have two port stops, Istanbul and Kusadasi, in October and have set private tours in both. Feel comfortable with our own guide to rely on and hopefully things will be fine. IF they are not, then we depend on the cruise line's discretion and our own common sense. These days seems like there are problems in a lot of places in Europe, so you hope for the best and adjust your plans if needed.

Well, maybe for starters avoid police stations and US embassies! The radical terrorist faction of Kurds seems to be very political with their targets and do not seem to inflict indiscriminate mayhem as is the IS playbook. I am still thinking it should be safe enough in the major tourist areas but everyone should be vigilent and cautious. Of course I would expect the cruiseline to change itinerary if necessary.

Ya'all might want to check the latest news reports on Istanbul. No bueno

No kidding! They just attacked the US consulate which is a few kilometers away from the cruise port in Istanbul. Wonderful. I was initially concerned about this upcoming, and seemingly doomed cruise, due to the economic meltdown in Greece as it includes four ports there. Well, I guess the mess in Greece is small potatoes compared to the goings on at our departure port, Istanbul. Like many on this cruise next month, we have flights and hotels booked in Istanbul along with tours before our embarkation so if the cruise line decides to move the embarkation to some other hot spot in the region, (as they all seem to be hotspots at the moment), that will not really be helpful.

They just attacked the US consulate which is a few kilometers away from the cruise port in Istanbul.
It's about 10 kilometers away, halfway to the Black Sea, and really nowhere near any typical tourist areas.

I'm not saying that today's news was "bueno", but it does not indicate a change in operations for this terror group. They hate the US government (and their own government), so they attack symbols of these powers, not (for now) tourists and ordinary civilians.

Ceasefire with PKK is now off. The Kurd population inside Turkey is pissed. ISIS is officially at war with Turkey. Many Turks are pro Hamas and openly dislike US and Israel. There are a lot of tensions and troubles bubbling just under the surface inside Turkey right now. This can turn ugly pretty quick.

The current warnings for Istanbul from the 29th of July from some countries, including Germany and Sweden, are related intelligence based on 'chatter' about planned attacks on bus stops and metro stations in central Istanbul.

http://national.bgnnews.com/police-issue-memo-warning-officers-of-terrorist-attacks-in-taksim-istanbul-haberi/8028

The IRA constantly bombed London throughout the 70s. I don't know any other Londoner who was the slightest apprehensive about going out. Live carries on as normal.

I think I would be just as unsure of being shot by the police in the U.S. By what I see on the news lately.

The IRA constantly bombed London throughout the 70s. I don't know any other Londoner who was the slightest apprehensive about going out. Live carries on as normal.

I think I would be just as unsure of being shot by the police in the U.S. By what I see on the news lately.

I totally agree.

Much the same as 9/11 in New York, locals got on with life. But those events did put off a lot of visitors to both cities.

And during the Iraq/Kuwait war, trans-Atlantic flights were shunned - presumably by those who can't read a map!!

Some folk are more insular & risk-averse than others, and don't seem to have a sense of proportion.

Their loss :rolleyes:

JB :)

I totally agree.

Much the same as 9/11 in New York, locals got on with life. But those events did put off a lot of visitors to both cities.

And during the Iraq/Kuwait war, trans-Atlantic flights were shunned - presumably by those who can't read a map!!

Some folk are more insular & risk-averse than others, and don't seem to have a sense of proportion.

Their loss :rolleyes:

JB :)

John,

Talk about reading a map! I find and many young persons today have an abysmal knowledge of World geography.

I am 67 and during the 1950s we had World Geography in the 6th grade. We learned all the countries in the World (there were a lot fewer then) and identified them on a World map with only the borders outlined.

When I worked in Saudi Arabia in the 80s, I would get letters from young family members that were worried about terrorist attacks or fighting that was taking place over 1000 miles from us.

The travel advisory from Department of Foreign Affairs Canada for Turkey says to exercise a high degree of caution when visiting all parts of the country "due to the threat of terrorist attacks and ongoing demonstrations throughout the country". For 8 provinces in the area toward the Syrian border, they advise against all non-essential travel. This was upgraded two weeks ago. There could be another change after the events yesterday in Istanbul.

There could be another change after the events yesterday in Istanbul.
It specifically says that the advice about Turkey is still valid as of "August 11, 2015", so there are no additional alerts/warnings in response to yesterday's events (link). The US Consulate is open for all normal services today, although I still wouldn't put it high on my sightseeing list.

It's good to keep an eye on the news, but there will be no headlines on the front page today reading "No terrorist attacks in Istanbul today; 100,000 tourists visit palaces, museums, and markets — all survive". And no one will come running to be the first to post this on CC, either.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Evangeline

The British government already this morning had commented on yesterday's events, but are not advising against travel, but just be cautious. Yes, there are some places they advise not to visit which is obviously with the border with Syria.

Turkey is a huge country and avoiding the whole country because of an isolated incident hundreds of miles away is silly. It's like not visiting Denver because something has happened in Miami.

Thousands of Europeans visit every summer and still do. My own family and friends go.

Due to "port congestion" our itinerary was changed & we will be porting in Istanbul 9/24/15 the first day of Eid-ul-Adha. Grand Bazaar/spice market will be closed as well as many other places. Museums & such will be open 1/2 day starting at 1pm. :(

So, for us, this presents (in my mind) a greater risk of unrest by ISIS. Obviously we're not canceling our trip, we might cancel our excursion and in the event that it's not safe, I'm sure Princess will have an alternate port.

Yes definitely, things happen at "home". I was on flights that were high jacked to Cuba - back in the day! :eek: I saw (from a distance) the second plane hit the WTC and saw the towers fall. Being close to NYC - what a chilling/scary day and aftermath that was. We just need to be vigil.

Evangeline

The British government already this morning had commented on yesterday's events, but are not advising against travel, but just be cautious. Yes, there are some places they advise not to visit which is obviously with the border with Syria.

Turkey is a huge country and avoiding the whole country because of an isolated incident hundreds of miles away is silly. It's like not visiting Denver because something has happened in Miami.

Thousands of Europeans visit every summer and still do. My own family and friends go.

I don't need to be patronized here. I was just passing along information. Clearly foreign affairs feels there is a need to warn travelers. I recognize that people like to pretend nothing is wrong when it is. I get that, but the analogy of Denver to Miami does not make sense. The attacks are now in Istanbul. We are talking about staying in Istanbul. I am not saying that I won't go on this stupid trip. I will, but there is little point is pretending that everything is fine. It is not. And we need to accept the prospect that it might get worse.

I don't need to be patronized here. I was just passing along information. Clearly foreign affairs feels there is a need to warn travelers. I recognize that people like to pretend nothing is wrong when it is. I get that, but the analogy of Denver to Miami does not make sense. The attacks are now in Istanbul. We are talking about staying in Istanbul. I am not saying that I won't go on this stupid trip. I will, but there is little point is pretending that everything is fine. It is not. And we need to accept the prospect that it might get worse.

I think the point being made is: Where in the world are things "fine"?

It does not appear anyone is targeting tourists in Istanbul. The places attacked are not places were cruise tourists generally go, nor are they particularly close to the ship.

Exercising caution is useful everywhere. But I like to think of things in a relative way. I'd probably not advise people to visit Tunis just now, but I would still feel few qualms about visiting Istanbul.

They just upgraded the travel advisory for Turkey on the Canadian Foreign Affairs website to include the response to yesterday's attacks in Istanbul which is what I thought they would do.

It now warns that targets frequented by foreigners are vulnerable and are targets for terrorism. It goes on to say there are heightened security measures throughout the country, but to be especially vigilant in areas "where foreigners congregate". Specific examples included hotels, public transit stations and open bazaars.

Just got back from our favorite port in Kusadasi! It was beautiful and very welcoming! As a mother travelling with my 10 year old daughter it was very safe and the people are so kind and helpful! We took a private tour with Ephesus deluxe dot com and was given the most amazing day! You must see Ephesus, have a Turkish lunch, shop, and experience the shops and culture!! One of the most beautiful places on earth!!!:)

It now warns that targets frequented by foreigners are vulnerable and are targets for terrorism. It goes on to say there are heightened security measures throughout the country, but to be especially vigilant in areas "where foreigners congregate". Specific examples included hotels, public transit stations and open bazaars.

It already said that before yesterday's attacks. That exact text has been there since at least 2012. Things have been like this in Istanbul for a long time. The attacks are not "now in Istanbul"; there were much worse terrorist bombings in 1999, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2010, …

Nobody in this thread is "pretending" that nothing is wrong and everything is fine in Turkey. They are simply measuring their own understanding/perception of the risks against their own desire to visit Turkey, and arriving at a personal decision that may differ from yours. Although in your case, given that you have fears concerning the current situation and apparently no particular desire to visit Istanbul, I'm not sure why you have decided not to cancel "this stupid trip". Maybe it's just because you can't get your money back at this point, but that is a pretty poor justification for putting yourself in harm's way.

If I didn't feel comfortable going somewhere, then it is simple, I wouldn't go. We went to Luxor two consecutive years and loved it. I would go back, but OH doesn't want to. Easy, there are plenty of other places to visit, which is what we do. However, I wouldn't cancel a trip to Istanbul at the moment.

If I didn't feel comfortable going somewhere, then it is simple, I wouldn't go. We went to Luxor two consecutive years and loved it. I would go back, but OH doesn't want to. Easy, there are plenty of other places to visit, which is what we do. However, I wouldn't cancel a trip to Istanbul at the moment.

I concur, I would feel comfortable going back to Istanbul.

I lived and worked in the Middle East for five years and am familiar with the culture and Islamic faith.

Turkey borders on the Middle East and currently has over a million refugees from Syria, Iraq and other countries that are in serious trouble these days.

My concern for Turkey is that President Edrogen is destroying the secular legacy of Ataturk. He is a proponent of the Turkish equivalent of the Muslim Brotherhood. Turkey is moving toward becoming an Islamic state similar to where Egypt was before the Military took over.

However, this change is happening slowly and there is a lot of resistance to this change. We shall see how it works out.

Egypt is a wonderful place to visit and I wanted to take my DW there, since she has never been there. Conditions regarding security have improved greatly, but I am still not convinced that we are ready to go there.

It wasn't long ago that the Muslim Brotherhood terrorists were specifically targeting foreign tourists. I suspect that they may still be doing that, but the security forces have a better handle on things. Also, the people were put off by the Muslim Brotherhood government and are generally supporting the Military.