Turkey - anyone worried?

Istanbul was the embarkation port for some of the Costa cruises when the Turkey ports were cancelled. If you go on the Costa forums, there were posters trying to figure out how to change their airfare from Istanbul to Athens. One whose cruise is in November just decided to just go to Istanbul as planned, then add a flight to Athens to board the ship.

That is why I suggested that the issues become significant.

We just changed our Choice Air flights and transfers into Istanbul so as to place the responsibility on the cruise line to resolve any issues.

That being said, I think it's an overreaction on our part.

It seems Celebrity is concerned enough to cancel the port stop at Istanbul for next week's Reflection cruise.

And the following week, our Celebrity cruise departs from Istanbul, overnights there, then returns there at the end of the cruise and none of that has been changed. Not that I think is needs to be changed.

It seems Celebrity is concerned enough to cancel the port stop at Istanbul for next week's Reflection cruise.

And, so far only the Aug 31 Reflection cruise has Istanbul cancelled. The Sept 21 & Oct 12 Reflection sailings still have Istanbul listed and we have not been notified of any change yet.

Edited by ecslady

That's odd. Only the Reflection port stop is cancelled yet other Celebrity ships will continue to call on Istanbul? What is the official reason for The Reflection itinerary change?
They posted this in a thread on the Celebrity board:
We want to let guests know that we have been closely monitoring the security situation in Istanbul, Turkey, and have decided, in an abundance of caution, to cancel Celebrity Reflection’s overnight call to Istanbul on Saturday, September 4 and Sunday, September 5.
It's not much of a reason, and it leaves passengers booked on other upcoming sailings completely in the dark.

Hope you guys did not see the heartbreaking pictures of a migrant toddler who died alongside his brother and mother on the perilous journey across the Mediterranean. The horrific picture was take on the Bodrum beach this morning.

In some 3 weeks I will be exactly there with Azamara. But today, I am very disturbed. I don't think I won to see that lovely beach anymore and, actually, I am not sure about all those ports of call in that part of the world because the Syrian migrants crise :(

Edited by LEMPEREUR

Hope you guys did not see the heartbreaking pictures of a migrant toddler who died alongside his brother and mother on the perilous journey across the Mediterranean. The horrific picture was take on the Bodrum beach this morning.

In some 3 weeks I will be exactly there with Azamara. But today, I am very disturbed. I don't think I won to see that lovely beach anymore and, actually, I am not sure about all those ports of call in that part of the world because the Syrian migrants crise :(

Sadly, I did see the pictures on the news. It is disturbing and heartbreaking. I booked my cruise back in February for May, 2016. Thankfully, we did purchase CFAR insurance for this cruise. Right now I must be honest and admit I wouldn't be disappointed if the cruise was cancelled or the ports of call changed. Still a long time till next May. We shall see what happens and make a decision next spring.

Celebrity has cancelled all Istanbul overnights for remaining of the year. I am on the 9/21 and they dropped Istanbul completely and we are instead visiting Rhodes and Crete. I am fine with this as I would not feel safe at this time. (Love Istanbul and the people... been there a couple times) I believe the ships the leave from there are still leaving from Istanbul but leaving the first day so no overnight. Watch your email boxes or call your travel agent.

Celebrity has cancelled all Istanbul overnights for remaining of the year. I am on the 9/21 and they dropped Istanbul completely and we are instead visiting Rhodes and Crete. I am fine with this as I would not feel safe at this time. (Love Istanbul and the people... been there a couple times) I believe the ships the leave from there are still leaving from Istanbul but leaving the first day so no overnight. Watch your email boxes or call your travel agent.

Where did you read that about Celebrity? We are embarking Istanbul on 10/23 and have not been told of any changes.

• 3 weeks later...

Not correct. I am presently in Istanbul for a business trip. Equinox was in Istanbul overnight on Friday. I have pictures.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Not correct. I am presently in Istanbul for a business trip. Equinox was in Istanbul overnight on Friday. I have pictures.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Are you sure she was there overnight? Or just there late?

Since Celebrity changed their plans, their ships arriving on turnaround days have been staying until quite late in the evening in order to give all passengers (many flying in that day) a chance to get to the ship. Departures have been 10pm or, some have reported, later....

Are you sure she was there overnight? Or just there late?

Since Celebrity changed their plans, their ships arriving on turnaround days have been staying until quite late in the evening in order to give all passengers (many flying in that day) a chance to get to the ship. Departures have been 10pm or, some have reported, later....

She was in port overnight, I saw her there both Friday evening and Saturday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Based on the bombing of 10/9 in Ankara there is continued warnings about further terrorists activity in Istanbul and Ankara.

Regent has not cancelled its current cruises to Istanbul despite US State Dept, British gov't and canadian government warnings about tourist sites and crowds.

Is this determination by Cruise lines justified or should they be more concerned about passenger safety? Sites and excursions are to places of concern.

Based on the bombing of 10/9 in Ankara there is continued warnings about further terrorists activity in Istanbul and Ankara.

Regent has not cancelled its current cruises to Istanbul despite US State Dept, British gov't and canadian government warnings about tourist sites and crowds.

Is this determination by Cruise lines justified or should they be more concerned about passenger safety? Sites and excursions are to places of concern.

Can you point us to the warnings you are referring to?

I just looked at the US State Dept site where travel warnings and alerts are posted, and the only thing I saw for Turkey was posted Sept 3 and had no relevance to Istanbul.

Similarly, the British State Department information on Turkey (updated after the Oct 10th bombing) only mentions avoiding central Ankara and, of course, staying away from the Syria/Turkey border.

It also says "Over 2,500,000 British nationals visit Turkey every year. Most visits are trouble-free."

I would not worry unduly about visiting Istanbul.

Perhaps peolple should consider if cruise ships should visit the US given the amount of gun crime there and the reluctance of the population to get guns off the streets.

Recent troubles in Turkey were well away from tourist sites.

Edited by tring

Perhaps peolple should consider if cruise ships should visit the US given the amount of gun crime there and the reluctance of the population to get guns off the streets.

Recent troubles in Turkey were well away from tourist sites.

What an absurd comment. There are places in the USA that I would not visit due to gangs, but the places that tourist go in the USA are safe.

The question of safety in Turkey is a valid issue for these boards without posting a semi-political comment.

Our constitution preserves the right to bear arms, since our country sought for to avoid the British professional army with mercenaries that oppressed us.

Having been to Turkey, latest September/October 2013, we found Istanbul to be very safe, if you avoided certain areas (just like in my country).

Events have transpired to degrade the situation and Celebrity has eliminated the additional overnight in Istanbul.

The latest issue, which probably will not affect tourist is the report of Turkey shooting down a Russian aircraft. Not sure where that is going, but President Edrogen is sympathetic with the Muslim Brotherhood and supports elements of the Syrian Rebels, some of which could be called terrorists.

When we were in Istanbul, we were told that there were over a million Syrian refuges in Turkey, many in Istanbul. It is right to pay attention to what is going on and seek guidance.

What an absurd comment. There are places in the USA that I would not visit due to gangs, but the places that tourist go in the USA are safe.

The question of safety in Turkey is a valid issue for these boards without posting a semi-political comment.

Our constitution preserves the right to bear arms, since our country sought for to avoid the British professional army with mercenaries that oppressed us.

Having been to Turkey, latest September/October 2013, we found Istanbul to be very safe, if you avoided certain areas (just like in my country).

Events have transpired to degrade the situation and Celebrity has eliminated the additional overnight in Istanbul.

The latest issue, which probably will not affect tourist is the report of Turkey shooting down a Russian aircraft. Not sure where that is going, but President Edrogen is sympathetic with the Muslim Brotherhood and supports elements of the Syrian Rebels, some of which could be called terrorists.

When we were in Istanbul, we were told that there were over a million Syrian refuges in Turkey, many in Istanbul. It is right to pay attention to what is going on and seek guidance.

I am not sure I understand the logic of your comment.

Why is it okay for US travelers to discuss safety concerns about traveling to other countries, but somehow it is "not allowed" for people from other countries to discuss safety concerns about coming to the US? :confused:

I am not sure I understand the logic of your comment.

Why is it okay for US travelers to discuss safety concerns about traveling to other countries, but somehow it is "not allowed" for people from other countries to discuss safety concerns about coming to the US? :confused:

I am not opposed to a real discussion about the safety concerns of visitors to the USA.

The post that I objected made a semi-political statement about US gun laws and a causal connection to unsafe areas in the USA.

Further, that statement compared a country with over a million refuges and are nearby war to the USA, stating that in Turkey

"Recent troubles in Turkey were well away from tourist sites."

The implication was that visiting the USA was unsafe while Turkey was safe in the tourist areas.

In fact, the vast majority of violent crime in the USA is in high crime areas that are not visited by tourists.

I am not opposed to a real discussion about the safety concerns of visitors to the USA.

The post that I objected made a semi-political statement about US gun laws and a causal connection to unsafe areas in the USA.

Further, that statement compared a country with over a million refuges and are nearby war to the USA, stating that in Turkey

"Recent troubles in Turkey were well away from tourist sites."

The implication was that visiting the USA was unsafe while Turkey was safe in the tourist areas.

In fact, the vast majority of violent crime in the USA is in high crime areas that are not visited by tourists.

I agree with you about 90%. The post was definitely 100% a political statement. Here in North Texas we have a lot of visitors from the UK. They seem to enjoy themselves during their visit to the wild, wild west.:) Heck, some even state that they wouldn't mind living here. The poster has expressed similar sentiments about the USA on another post. perhaps we should invite him/her over for a visit. Anyway, people should use their own good judgement when travelling and seek as much pertinent info as possible.

Well, as a visitor to New York a few times……. I am not sure that I would have wanted to be a tourist visiting the World Trade Center on 9/11.

As for tourist sites being safe - seems that there are numerous articles about "long wolf" attacks AT U.S. TOURIST SITES……. I know I would think twice about visiting Times Square if I were to go to NY again soon.

It is more than a casual concern for me since I was on a high speed train in France just weeks before the recent incident.

And as for violent crimes taking place in high crime areas…… seems that a college campus or a movie theater or a mall should be considered safe and not a high crime area and yet……. ?

I feel that with the growing threat of terrorism/crime in all areas, anyone traveling anywhere should be concerned and fully aware of what is going in.

We just returned from Istanbul. At the last minute our cruise line Celebrity cancelled the overnight there but retained it as an embarkation port, likely due to cost of changing it. The silliest part, though, is that they called all the passengers and told us not to go into Istanbul and even claimed this was the advise of the US state Department which was not true.

Like many we had booked a couple of nights in Istanbul in advance of our cruise and did so with the cruise lines travel agency Choice Air. I called Choice air to change the flights and they did not support this advisory from Celebrity at all. They said there was no reason not to go into Istanbul and it was only a personal choice that we would pay for if we decided to change our flights.

When we arrived in Istanbul, it was teaming with tourists and everyone was going about their business. No one, be it Turkish citizens or tourists including those from other cruise lines, felt there was any issue. Sure there can be terrorist attacks anywhere in that entire part of the world, but there is nothing specific to Istanbul that would warrant avoiding it. As others have pointed out, the specific advisories are in other regions of Turkey. Turkey is a very large country. There are 19 cruise line continuing to call on Istanbul.

Additionally, we did not see any refugee situation in Istanbul. Costa cancelled ports of call in Izmir due to refugee problems there and they do exist there.