Updated Lido Marketplace - deli no longer custom-made sandwiches?

sppunk

We cruised with Celebrity last winter, and loved the overall experience as much as HAL, but the biggest disappointment was their lack of good deli meat to make ruebens etc. They had on display these gross looking pressed meats like meatloaf, bologna etc. I swear if I looked closer I'd find a macaroni and cheese loaf or something equally unappealing. We both kept commenting - "can't beat HAL's wonderful deli and made to order sandwiches"! This is a sad day. My dear husband will be very disappointed. We're on the Nieuw Amsterdam in February. I hope something drastic happens and it comes back before then.

We totally agree. As long time Celebrity cruisers we still think this is the best of the mass market lines. But when it comes to their sandwich bar (in the Lido) the meats are awful cheap luncheon meats. I wouldn't buy that stuff at home, and seldom eat it on the ship. Every line has their pros and cons and we always found the made-to-order sandwiches a big pro for HAL. If they do totally eliminate that option it is just one more reason (among many) for us to continue avoiding HAL. At this time, other then their great itineraries we cannot find a reason to go back on HAL.

Hank

We totally agree. As long time Celebrity cruisers we still think this is the best of the mass market lines. But when it comes to their sandwich bar (in the Lido) the meats are awful cheap luncheon meats. I wouldn't buy that stuff at home, and seldom eat it on the ship. Every line has their pros and cons and we always found the made-to-order sandwiches a big pro for HAL. If they do totally eliminate that option it is just one more reason (among many) for us to continue avoiding HAL. At this time, other then their great itineraries we cannot find a reason to go back on HAL.

Hank

Earlier in this thread you mentioned celebrity and princess had much better lido offerings. It's sounds as though you've changed your mind. I was curious what you liked about these lines over Hal as I've found the offerings on both those lines to be inferior in the lido.

We are 3 star on HAL and have been on a total of about 24 cruises since 2006..................

I don't remember EVER having a sandwich in the Lido on ANY of these cruises.

I can have a sandwich at home.........why have one on a ship when there are so many other choices?

We rarely have sandwiches at home as DH and I don't always eat the same foods.

Therefore I look forward to some in a while having a sandwich on a ship made just the way I want it. And DH can choose what he wants.

We are not big lunch eaters.

I've read several posts on this thread wondering why anyone would eat a sandwich on a cruise, and/or actually putting others down for doing so. What the heck is that about? Are we now into approving or otherwise what food others eat, just like what clothes they wear on formal night? Sheesh.:(

I've read several posts on this thread wondering why anyone would eat a sandwich on a cruise, and/or actually putting others down for doing so. What the heck is that about? Are we now into approving or otherwise what food others eat,:(

Amazingly, I agree with you on this. A well made sandwich (and we aren't talking Subway here) can be a culinary delight. ;)

Amazingly, I agree with you on this. A well made sandwich (and we aren't talking Subway here) can be a culinary delight. ;)

yup :) the other thing about a sandwich is that it is easy to take back to your room and avoid all the crowds if you just want a bite ;)

I made one comment saying that I don't remember that I have gotten a sandwich on a cruise because there are so many other choices. If you are referring that as "putting down" others who like sandwiches it was not meant that way and only referred to my preferences.

You are a very sensitive person and I respect your sandwich priorities and will not get in your way in the line at the Lido.

I've read several posts on this thread wondering why anyone would eat a sandwich on a cruise, and/or actually putting others down for doing so. What the heck is that about? Are we now into approving or otherwise what food others eat, just like what clothes they wear on formal night? Sheesh.:(

While we are not sandwich eaters on cruises, I lament the loss of any feature or benefit. :(

You are "spot on" as they say.

This is the real important point to this loss.

Another cut back:(:(

I haven't seen anyone put down on this thread. People have a difference of opinion. I believe it's ok to express that.

Great! I totally agree that everyone should be able to express opinions ! Glad to hear you don't think it's a put down. ;)

I haven't seen anyone put down on this thread. People have a difference of opinion. I believe it's ok to express that.

Great! I totally agree that everyone should be able to express opinions ! Glad to hear you don't think it's a put down. ;)

Good advice, ladies :) Sharing differing opinions is an important part of CC, and should be encouraged. I'd hate to think that anyone would think my differing opinion was a put-down :(

As for sandwiches, I'm in the "can't remember ever having a sandwich on a cruise" camp, but hate to hear that this choice might be taken away. As another poster mentioned, any loss is another loss and diminishes the experience for some cruisers.

Sorry to hear that sandwiches made to order are being eliminated.

When is this happening?

Very often on a longer cruise, I crave food that we have readily available shoreside. Nothing quite like a really good BLT, for example.

Are you folks saying sandwiches like this will no longer be available?

If so, shoot me now! ;-)

Six pages about sandwiches - or lack thereof - by folks that haven't been on a ship with the new concept. Please, hope to put this thread to bed and stop all the negativity about cutbacks etc. The new concept is great improvement and has all the usual stuff - just in a newer format. Only real change I saw was switch in tea brands and the new brand was okay for me, as I just drink tea in the evening, peppermint, and it was good - and fewer choices in ice cream flavors - a first world problem for sure.

Was on Rotterdam in early July. Sandwich station has ready-made selections in bags for quick grabbing and a station to make sandwiches to order as before - paninis etc. We had delayed boarding due to Dutch Princess being a day guest for lunch. They were passing those sandwiches out in the waiting hall and folks were chowing them down like there would be no food on the ship, so they must have been good.

The whole concept is better - stations where they are making the dishes fresh in front of you and served to you. Much more sanitary! The salad bar is not self-serve so no more folks munching on stuff as they go thru the line and putting stuff on their plate and then putting it back, and using the tongs and salad dressing bottles. All is behind a screen and the waiter builds your salad to your specs - type of lettuce, add-ins, how much of each, adds dressing etc. All in a beautiful, large bowl. All is replenished constantly so is really fresh. 2 servers, so line is not too long and all the stuff you could ever want on a salad.

Asian station is fantastic. All cooked in a wok right there and when gone, a new wok cooked - very fresh - no sitting around. Different theme each day - Indian, Chinese, Indonesian, etc and nan bread, rice, noodles.

Only thing self-serve is the sweet station on the end - the usual desserts and bread pudding. This same area is about the only self-serve for breakfast and has the pastries, cheese, yogurt, etc.

Lido itself is improved - waiters tripping over each other getting drinks, clearing tables, helping you find a seat, etc. No staff cutback here.

The appearance is very much like the pics of the new ship, so appears it will be uniform fleet-wide as each ship is redone in its drydock period. Lines are less as the stations are separated - even cooked to order egg area in the morning was not much of a line and there is an omelet station in a separate area and a fruit station.

All in all, a good concept and all the foods you are used to are still there - just a different presentation. No need for Code Orange as most is served to you - I love that - so much better. Only the kids were still putting their grubby paws on the cookies instead of using tongs - never will be able to get around that.

One more thing - there was no dessert extravaganza. So I guess that is a cutback - but it was always such a waste of food - pretty to look at, but lots of work for the cook staff. And folks just had dessert at dinner. Was better when it was all chocolate!

They still had the late night snack listed on the program, but I never went, so can't comment - seemed to be a different theme each night.

And still had tea in the MDR at 3pm each day. I went once, to Indonesian - tea was good but food so-so.

Hot appies in the Crows Nest at cocktail time. Exploration Cafe was busy all the time for the coffee drinks and snacks. Still had the good chocolates in the area when the Adagio was playing. Noticed no cutbacks in bar staff in Mix or Crows Nest - all great service.

I have to bite my tongue as I thought all the comments on this thread were interesting. Folks who won't sail HAL if they can't have their sandwiches, etc. - all before actually experiencing the new concept. No one ever really came on and answered the OP definitively - I guess because the Rotterdam is most Dutch folks and not a lot on CC. My bad for not chiming in sooner and trying to keep folks from getting in a tizzy over nothing - there is still a sandwich bar and all the other usual stuff - just different format and presentation - an improvement in my opinion.

Edited by pv girl
add

Six pages about sandwiches - or lack thereof - by folks that haven't been on a ship with the new concept. Please, hope to put this thread to bed and stop all the negativity about cutbacks etc. The new concept is great improvement and has all the usual stuff - just in a newer format. Only real change I saw was switch in tea brands and the new brand was okay for me, as I just drink tea in the evening, peppermint, and it was good - and fewer choices in ice cream flavors - a first world problem for sure.

Was on Rotterdam in early July. Sandwich station has ready-made selections in bags for quick grabbing and a station to make sandwiches to order as before - paninis etc. We had delayed boarding due to Dutch Princess being a day guest for lunch. They were passing those sandwiches out in the waiting hall and folks were chowing them down like there would be no food on the ship, so they must have been good.

The whole concept is better - stations where they are making the dishes fresh in front of you and served to you. Much more sanitary! The salad bar is not self-serve so no more folks munching on stuff as they go thru the line and putting stuff on their plate and then putting it back, and using the tongs and salad dressing bottles. All is behind a screen and the waiter builds your salad to your specs - type of lettuce, add-ins, how much of each, adds dressing etc. All in a beautiful, large bowl. All is replenished constantly so is really fresh. 2 servers, so line is not too long and all the stuff you could ever want on a salad.

Lido itself is improved - waiters tripping over each other getting drinks, clearing tables, helping you find a seat, etc. No staff cutback here.

All in all, a good concept and all the foods you are used to are still there - just a different presentation. No need for Code Orange as most is served to you - I love that - so much better. Only the kids were still putting their grubby paws on the cookies instead of using tongs - never will be able to get around that.

I did experience it first hand on the Nieuw Amsterdam and totally disagree with you! The pre-mades are not an improvement and from a sanitary standpoint not a good decision! When people are squeezing, poking and touching the bread inside the packaging and then putting it down and repeating this until they find one to their liking right after they sneezed into their hand it is far from an improvement. When there is no rotation system on the pre-mades, no refrigeration with sandwiches that have dressing or mayo on them this is not a good thing!

The Nieuw Amsterdam had no Made-to-Order sandwiches....period! Maybe still on Rotterdam but not on the NA! Did you have a Pre-made sandwich as you made a comment that people where chomping them down so they must have been good?

Salad Bar , the lines were ridiculously long with the new Concept because the people have to tell the Servers what to put in the bowl, what salad toppings as well as the dressing! Agree though that the new Bowls are pretty!

I didn't even touch on the new Concept of pre-set tables but from a health standpoint whoever made this decision has no clue or experience in Food Service. The tables are pre-set with glasses and the silverware is not rolled but in a folder over linen. Here's one example of what we saw: two people sit at a 4-top table that's pre-set. The man is coughing, blows his nose into his napkin and sets it down on the other place setting. He pushed the glasses over to the side with the hands he was coughing into, blowing his nose with, etc. When they were finished the table area where he was sitting was wiped and cleared and the rest of the glasses remained on the table along with the linen napkin containing silverware that he put his dirty napkin on top of at one point. We made note of this on the comment card and then we noticed the glasses were then put face down on the table instead of facing up. Now, take into account that the table was just wiped with a sanitizer cloth and still somewhat damp when the rim of the glasses were put on the table. Thanks, but no thanks! :eek:

We're back on the Nieuw Amsterdam in January and hoping that since we were on the first Cruise with the New Concept that improvements have been made!

I also don't agree that this thread should die! It is a major cutback for those that enjoy a Made-to-Order sandwich and HAL needs to hear from those that do feel it's important!

idiebabe or pv girl (or any passenger who's experienced the Lido Market first-hand),

Is there still an Italian station? Do they still serve lasagna daily and cooked-to-order selections?

Thanks!

Yes, they still had an Italian station next to the Mexican station. I'm not sure on Lasagna but they did have cook-to-order. (We own an Italian restaurant so we shy away from Italian while on the Cruises! :D) We found the Mexican selection limited as opposed to the other Ships that have the Mexican bar outside by the Burgers. The new Pizza we thought was an improvement and that was Made-to-Order with a Beeper system which worked very good similar to the Burgers. :)

I just want to say that we had a wonderful cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam and found the Crew and Staff to be wonderful! Also, overall, the food was very good! Our disappointment and only disappointment was the elimination of the Deli and Made-to-Order Sandwiches. We're back on her again in January as my Mom who is in her eighties who loves to cruise wants to see the Dancing With the Stars Finale cruise.

Edited by idiebabe