Updated Lido Marketplace - deli no longer custom-made sandwiches?

sppunk

I read on a blog from a sailing last week that the new Lido Marketplace's deli didn't offer the make-your-own sandwich option like in the past. It was all pre-made with daily specials that you could customize.

I can't recall which ship for the life of me or find the blog link.

Anyone experience this? The Koningsdam literature reads like this is what she'll offer too.

Not having the availability of asking the culinary staff person at the deli sandwich counter to prepare a sandwich to my specifications is not a Signature of Excellence indication.

Most of us can probably purchase a pre-made deli sandwich in our nearby grocery store.

Cruise lines need to market themselves as offering a different vacation product from the ordinary. Pre-made deli sandwiches are not a deal breaker for most, I am sure. But, it is a further dilution of the cruise experience that many of us enjoy, expect, and--by the way--pay for!

I hope the reports of such a change in wrong.

Edited by rkacruiser
I added some additional thoughts.

I read on a blog from a sailing last week that the new Lido Marketplace's deli didn't offer the make-your-own sandwich option like in the past. It was all pre-made with daily specials that you could customize.

I can't recall which ship for the life of me or find the blog link.

Anyone experience this? The Koningsdam literature reads like this is what she'll offer too.

If true, that's definitely a backwards step. Next thing you know we'll be getting the little triangular cardboard and plastic wrap sandwich packages out of a vending machine!

I hope the reports are incorrect or there's a misunderstanding.

One of my lunch joys is getting a sandwich exactly as I'd like it ... sometimes ordering just half a toasted cheese sandwich to have with soup, or the like.

I know it's labor intensive, and there can be lines at the sandwich station, but it's something so many of us enjoy.

HAL, if you're reading, please don't take our choices away!

Edited by cp556

They had premade sandwiches on the Veendam in May sitting in bags. They all seemed to contain deli meat. I have no idea if you could order a sandwich. The last thing I want on a cruise is a sandwich. Give me some stir fry and a salad any day. The sandwiches were just sitting there in a basket with no refrigeration. That doesn't sit well with me.

I can remember getting a hot Ruben Sandwich on either the Celebrity Galaxy or Carnival Spirit a few years back (within 8) and it was the best I've ever had! To eliminate the "custom" sandwiches reeks of poor management.

We were on the Westerdam July 11-18. There were premade sandwiches to "grab and go" if you wished. There was also a crew member on both sides to make the made-to-order sandwiches. They built mine just the way my hubby likes it and put it in the panini press. He was happy and so was I!

Karen

We were on the Westerdam July 11-18. There were premade sandwiches to "grab and go" if you wished. There was also a crew member on both sides to make the made-to-order sandwiches. They built mine just the way my hubby likes it and put it in the panini press. He was happy and so was I!

Karen

Thanks, this is reassuring!

A deli sandwich is a great lunch.

I can remember getting a hot Ruben Sandwich on either the Celebrity Galaxy or Carnival Spirit a few years back (within 8) and it was the best I've ever had! To eliminate the "custom" sandwiches reeks of poor management.

It was always slow waiting for sandwiches to be made. Perhaps they had too many complaints how long it took to 'just get a sandwich'? The goal might be to have as few servers working behind the counter in Lido as possible? Just musing..........

You'll get both! We just got off the Oosterdam. So convenient to have "grab and go" - especially for that late night snack or refrigerate for that early morning tour! And for those who love the "made to order" - we were able to get ours made any way we wanted! The best of both worlds!

You'll get both! We just got off the Oosterdam. So convenient to have "grab and go" - especially for that late night snack or refrigerate for that early morning tour! And for those who love the "made to order" - we were able to get ours made any way we wanted! The best of both worlds!

Now, that is good news. :)

Karen

That was also our experience on the Westerdam in April/May. I enjoy the deli sandwiches, custom-made.

If true, that's definitely a backwards step. Next thing you know we'll be getting the little triangular cardboard and plastic wrap sandwich packages out of a vending machine!

It's true and I love your comment. On the Maasdam May 1st sailing (FLL to Montreal) I encountered these "revised" sandwiches/subs. Some days I think they were made the day before as the bread was not nice and fresh as I like:(

We were on the same cruise as Lizzie and there were indeed both.

I wonder if the blogger who posted there were no sandwiches to order saw the pre-made and thought that meant that was all there was to offer?

When I first saw them, I thought that was the sandwich offering until I realized that they were still making them.

We were on the same cruise as Lizzie and there were indeed both.

I wonder if the blogger who posted there were no sandwiches to order saw the pre-made and thought that meant that was all there was to offer?

When I first saw them, I thought that was the sandwich offering until I realized that they were still making them.

I'm assuming that's exactly what happened, they saw pre-made ones out, no line and (maybe) not a crew member there at that moment and assumed.

Or, if it was in a weird non-stationed time maybe the pre-made sandwiches threw off their thinking. Both understandable but glad it's incorrect!

Thanks, all! I love me a club sandwich on my balcony as a light lunch. :)

You can definitely have them make a custom sandwich. The premade choices are there to help the grab-n-go customer, or for those people who can't make up their minds.**

Q: What kind of bread?

A: What are my choices?

**I should mention that these people manage to strategically locate themselves directly ahead of me in line. Not that I'm bitter.***

***Except when it's the ice cream line. The choices are on the board people. Stop asking for flavors that aren't there! I swear.... I will beat you over the head with an ice cream bowl -- and they're hot!