Updated Lido Marketplace - deli no longer custom-made sandwiches?

sppunk

idiebabe Thanks for the most resent First Hand Report - although I do NOT like it at all. I for one loved the sandwich station, although due to strict dietary restrictions, I got my sandwich without bread - but they would put the sandwich innards that I could have on a plate with lettuce as the "bread". Perfect for me - ready made not so good as the innards may not meet my dietary OKs. I bet for many mayo and/or mustard might be a problem.

Ellieanne - After hundreds of days on HAL ships on the past five years, over half of which I is it the sandwich line at lunch, I have always had to wait for several people in line before me. Perhaps the difference in our experiences is the specific time we go to the Lido for lunch.

Of all of the HAL changes over the years, I can say that this one is the first one that I personally find to be a real downer! I will comment to HAL, but I know that life will go on and I will still enjoy cruising.

Edited by wander

On Prinsendam last Fall I returned to the ship starving after an early morning tour that ran late. I went to the "sandwich station" where a steward was making sandwiches to order but there was a long line. I spotted a tray of pre-made deli sandwiches on fresh baked rolls and grabbed one of those. It's nice to have both choices...made to order and pre-made.

Nieuw Amsterdam and Rotterdam have eliminated the Deli and Made-to-Order Sandwiches! We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam after her Drydock in April. NO Deli and NO made-to-order sandwiches! We were told by the COM this new concept will roll out on all the Ships Fleetwide!

Oh, this is not good.

I prefer to eat lunch sometime between 2:00-3:00, when the main hot service line is closed down. Sandwiches or salad is about it for choice, as I don't want a burger every day (delicious as they are). If I can't get a grilled cheese sandwich made, then there goes one solid selection.

Not happy.

idiebabe,

Thanks for your report! I'm assuming "no made-to-order sandwiches" includes paninis and wraps?

Correct, no Paninis or Wraps or Croissants and, of course, no Reubens! Just the four type of pre-mades!

Ruthie: No more Grilled Cheese! :(

idiebabe Thanks for the most resent First Hand Report - although I do NOT like it at all. I for one loved the sandwich station, although due to strict dietary restrictions, I got my sandwich without bread - but they would put the sandwich innards that I could have on a plate with lettuce as the "bread". Perfect for me - ready made not so good as the innards may not meet my dietary OKs. I bet for many mayo and/or mustard might be a problem.

You're welcome! After a few days they put out a small tray with some deli meats and cheese. They had a row of ham, turkey and roast beef on the small tray. I guess people were complaining? They went quick and they had to keep replenishing the tray from the kitchen as some people were trying to make their own sandwiches from the rye and focaccia bread that was by the Buffet. That bread is the same size as what's in a Bread Basket in MDR so not big enough to really make a sandwich!

The one day I got a plain Wrap from Mexican, took some deli meat and cheese that was by the Pre-Mades and Buffet and then went to the Salad Bar for some lettuce and 1000 dressing as there were no condiments out such as Mayo, etc.

I walked off my lunch before lunch going from station to station!

They changed the Salad Bar, too. As I mentioned no more Specialty Salads. The Salad Bar has two lines with identical set-up of Lettuce and Salad toppings on each side of it. They serve it up into a bowl (very pretty bowl) and also they now spoon on the dressing. This all took time for people telling them what they want and the lines were very long!

You know the area between the two sides of Lido where they had fruit, cheese, etc. That is no more! During Breakfast they had cereals there but for lunch they did a display of soda cans and Wine Bottles, etc.

The Cheese and Fruit selection was located somewhere in the Buffet area and very small selection!

We're in the Restaurant business so what really amazed us is they had no refrigeration or rotation system on these sandwiches. So if they put out a sandwich for Lido opening (which we observed they did around 11:00 a.m.) there was no controls to ensure one of those sandwiches was still not there at 4:00 p.m. All of these sandwiches had some type of dressing on them! :eek: In addition, the people poking, squeezing, touching the bread, etc. is not very appealing especially after watching someone sneezing into their hand! :eek:

I have Dietary restrictions, too, so Pre-Mades don't work for me especially if the bread is loaded with seeds. My Daughter is highly allergic to Tomatoes and cannot just take the tomato off a sandwich as the juice from it contaminates the meat, etc. and she can have a reaction. They did not take any of this into consideration when they decided to do this!

We're not happy either about this! Not happy at all!

no fruit? cheese? salad variety? and no sandwiches??? Sounds like the lido is to be avoided.

Not a deal breaker for some,but the cheese, fruit, salad and sandwiches are the main things I want in the Lido at lunch. I don't want a hot meal per se.

I'm getting less impressed with every post.

Correct, no Paninis or Wraps or Croissants and, of course, no Reubens! Just the four type of pre-mades!

Ruthie: No more Grilled Cheese! :(

You're welcome! After a few days they put out a small tray with some deli meats and cheese. They had a row of ham, turkey and roast beef on the small tray. I guess people were complaining? They went quick and they had to keep replenishing the tray from the kitchen as some people were trying to make their own sandwiches from the rye and focaccia bread that was by the Buffet. That bread is the same size as what's in a Bread Basket in MDR so not big enough to really make a sandwich!

The one day I got a plain Wrap from Mexican, took some deli meat and cheese that was by the Pre-Mades and Buffet and then went to the Salad Bar for some lettuce and 1000 dressing as there were no condiments out such as Mayo, etc.

I walked off my lunch before lunch going from station to station!

They changed the Salad Bar, too. As I mentioned no more Specialty Salads. The Salad Bar has two lines with identical set-up of Lettuce and Salad toppings on each side of it. They serve it up into a bowl (very pretty bowl) and also they now spoon on the dressing. This all took time for people telling them what they want and the lines were very long!

You know the area between the two sides of Lido where they had fruit, cheese, etc. That is no more! During Breakfast they had cereals there but for lunch they did a display of soda cans and Wine Bottles, etc.

The Cheese and Fruit selection was located somewhere in the Buffet area and very small selection!

We're in the Restaurant business so what really amazed us is they had no refrigeration or rotation system on these sandwiches. So if they put out a sandwich for Lido opening (which we observed they did around 11:00 a.m.) there was no controls to ensure one of those sandwiches was still not there at 4:00 p.m. All of these sandwiches had some type of dressing on them! :eek: In addition, the people poking, squeezing, touching the bread, etc. is not very appealing especially after watching someone sneezing into their hand! :eek:

I have Dietary restrictions, too, so Pre-Mades don't work for me especially if the bread is loaded with seeds. My Daughter is highly allergic to Tomatoes and cannot just take the tomato off a sandwich as the juice from it contaminates the meat, etc. and she can have a reaction. They did not take any of this into consideration when they decided to do this!

We're not happy either about this! Not happy at all!

Part of the reason I don't like the lido is people touching everything. Leaving sandwiches out for hours on end is dangerous. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

On the Prinsendam over the holidays, they had the pre-made sandwiches. Like others have commented, they usually looked old and unappetizing and we never tried them. It may have just been the times we were there, but there was never anyone manning the sandwich bar, either. The absence of a staff member, plus the lack of sandwich specials on the Lido menu, led us to assume that the made to order sandwiches were no more.

I'm not a sandwich eater (on shore or on the ship) so I've never taken advantage of the deli counter on the ships, but the fact that management has chosen to eliminate it does not surprise me in the least.

With fewer staff it makes sense to eliminate that position, particularly if it was the least used of the Lido stations. Before anyone comments about how they loved the deli station, in my experience, I rarely saw anyone with a deli-style sandwich in the Lido, which it not to say people did not enjoy them, just that I rarely noticed anyone doing so. So I can see that was one of the stations that could easily be cut, leaving at least one staffer to man another, more popular station.

I am very surprised at this comment that it is least used - my experience has been there is always a line-up at the deli counter for custom-mades. They really needed two people doing the sandwiches.

no fruit? cheese? salad variety? and no sandwiches??? Sounds like the lido is to be avoided.

Not a deal breaker for some,but the cheese, fruit, salad and sandwiches are the main things I want in the Lido at lunch. I don't want a hot meal per se.

Exactly. My alternative to a deli sandwich is always the salad bar, and fruit. And as Cruz chic said, leaving sandwiches out for lord knows how long can be dangerous. Most of them have mayo - I dislike mayo! - and that is not good for any length of time.

ARGH! We can just imagine the usual "cheerleaders" justifying all this by saying something like "we are paying the same as we used to pay." But if this is done fleetwide it is just one more reason (along with the smoking policy) why we will continue to choose lines other then HAL! We have watched the Lido buffet (lunch) deteriorate over several years. There was a time when they had lots of fresh fruits, bowls of large cold shrimp, lots of selections at the sandwich bar, ice cream flavors other then van, choc, straw, etc. We find the hot buffet offerings at the buffet usually boring (always chicken, cheap cut of some kind of meat, tired roasted potatoes, etc. Even the Asian Station seems to be very limited. When we compare the Lido buffet to what is offered on other comparable lines (such as Celebrity and Princess) we find that HAL does not even fall into the same class! In fact, even Carnival has better buffet offerings (at lunch) then we find on HAL. Probably the only improvement we have found for lunch on HAL are the grill offerings (usually near the pool).

Getting back to the Lido sandwich bar, it was a long-time favorite of both DW and moi. DW loved to get a chicken salad or a freshly made BLT. I enjoyed the Reubens (would always ask for extra meat to get it close to a real sandwich) or other combination sandwiches (but always had to ask for extra meat since the normal 2 or 3 slices are not my style). HAL pizza is often awful (especially when it has sat under a hot lamp for an hour) so are other option was to get a custom made pasta dish.

So now we wonder if HAL's next step will be to offer cans of Ensure as an alternative to the food they longer offer.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

ARGH! We can just imagine the usual "cheerleaders" justifying all this by saying something like "we are paying the same as we used to pay." But if this is done fleetwide it is just one more reason (along with the smoking policy) why we will continue to choose lines other then HAL! We have watched the Lido buffet (lunch) deteriorate over several years. There was a time when they had lots of fresh fruits, bowls of large cold shrimp, lots of selections at the sandwich bar, ice cream flavors other then van, choc, straw, etc. We find the hot buffet offerings at the buffet usually boring (always chicken, cheap cut of some kind of meat, tired roasted potatoes, etc. Even the Asian Station seems to be very limited. When we compare the Lido buffet to what is offered on other comparable lines (such as Celebrity and Princess) we find that HAL does not even fall into the same class! In fact, even Carnival has better buffet offerings (at lunch) then we find on HAL. Probably the only improvement we have found for lunch on HAL are the grill offerings (usually near the pool).

Getting back to the Lido sandwich bar, it was a long-time favorite of both DW and moi. DW loved to get a chicken salad or a freshly made BLT. I enjoyed the Reubens (would always ask for extra meat to get it close to a real sandwich) or other combination sandwiches (but always had to ask for extra meat since the normal 2 or 3 slices are not my style). HAL pizza is often awful (especially when it has sat under a hot lamp for an hour) so are other option was to get a custom made pasta dish.

So now we wonder if HAL's next step will be to offer cans of Ensure as an alternative to the food they longer offer.

Hank

I'm curious what you think is better on princess. I used to think their buffet was better but the last few cruises I was unimpressed. I've sailed mostly on the sapphire princess but there certainly was no freshly made sandwiches. I really enjoy the Asian station on hal. There is nothing close to that on princess. I'm not aware of any place to get ice cream in the lido. One thing I do like is being able to serve yourself everything on princess,

Edited by cruz chic

I am very surprised at this comment that it is least used - my experience has been there is always a line-up at the deli counter for custom-mades. They really needed two people doing the sandwiches.

Agreed. Even sometime around 2:30 to 3:00-ish, when there's no shore excursions returning, there is usually at least one person in line ahead of me, and sometimes more than one.

Agreed. Even sometime around 2:30 to 3:00-ish, when there's no shore excursions returning, there is usually at least one person in line ahead of me, and sometimes more than one.

Is it a really indecisive person? I'm pretty sure that there's a squad of them on every cruise. They get a list of passengers in front of whom they're supposed to stand. I'm always on the list.

After a few days they put out a small tray with some deli meats and cheese. They had a row of ham, turkey and roast beef on the small tray. I guess people were complaining? They went quick and they had to keep replenishing the tray from the kitchen as some people were trying to make their own sandwiches from the rye and focaccia bread that was by the Buffet. That bread is the same size as what's in a Bread Basket in MDR so not big enough to really make a sandwich!

While your news isn't good, I do like your approach to solving the problem.

DW and I have no allergies or other restrictions, but the thought of other people pawing through the bags and even touching the sandwiches is stomach turning.

We're the same and also don't want a hot meal at lunch! Still some fruit and cheese but selections very, very limited!

My apology, Ruth! :)

Totally agree, too!

Actually, they gave us two reasons for this "new concept"! To cut down on lines and to have the sandwiches be made more consistently! We never felt the lines were a problem as they had two making the sandwiches and had two stations (one on each side).

My Husband tried a few of the Pre-mades when we went to Lido for Noonish and they were inconsistently made! So much for that reasoning! :rolleyes:

They told us that Oosterdam was the next to get the New Concept but Zuiderdam went into Drydock in April. I tried to find out if they eliminated the Deli, too, but no one seemed to know.

The Pizza is much better than it was with the NY Pizza and Made-to-Order and the Beeper system. Nowhere near NY Pie but tasty all the same!

So it's true, no more made-to-order sandwiches.

I assumed the Marketplace concept would kil them, confirmation still sucks.

Thanks idiebabe for the sobering reports!

True for Nieuw Amsterdam and Rotterdam for now and maybe Oosterdam or Zuiderdam! Everyone needs to voice their concerns and email! After returning from the NA in April many of my Cruise friends and my Family emailed as well as some on another Social Media Site.

While your news isn't good, I do like your approach to solving the problem.

DW and I have no allergies or other restrictions, but the thought of other people pawing through the bags and even touching the sandwiches is stomach turning.

Yep! The bags they were in were open at the top so people would poke their fingers in to feel the bread, squeeze, etc. :eek:

Whoever came up with this and the way they did it NEVER worked in the Food business!

They had some other things with pre-setting the tables in Lido that really need to be revisited for health concerns! That's a whole other chapter! :eek:

We had a Connector through LHR coming home and did a Grab N Go for the plane (hate plane food especially if in Coach). They were in a refrigerated case and had a date sticker on it! Need to add that these sandwiches were sealed the top as the loaves of bread you buy in the Grocery store are!

Edited by idiebabe

Pre made or custom... regardless, we always ask staff to give us or select items we want ourselves and make our own sandwiches on all lines. We are not in a rush... get fresh bread, salad items and whatever filling.

Sometimes we have even made a salad out of the salad bar and sandwich bar items, i.e., a taco salad for example.

We don't limit ourselves to what the lines has presented. If we don't find something we want we ask for it - even in the buffet if they have it they will get if for you.

So don't panic get creative... smile.

Hank

This is one time I agree with you. I take my sandwiches very seriously ;)

this is a really, really bad move IMO.

Our most recent HAL cruise was on the Volendam this past spring. The "deli" area had been moved to the main Lido line, port side. While there were a good quantity of pre-made sandwiches available, I rarely saw anyone avail themselves of this option. I had plenty of time to notice as I stood in line to get our made-to-order sandwiches. So much for it being a "least used" section. :rolleyes: We tried a pre-made once. That was enough. Simply awful.

Since our preferred onboard lunch time is 2:30-3:30, our typical lunch is splitting a sandwich and salads. I can't say that I ever remember not having others on line. Actually, I remember being happy if there were only one or two ahead of me.

Seeing so many pre-made sandwiches sitting out, going uneaten, I wonder about how much more food is wasted vs. made-to-order. :rolleyes:

One thing we've missed when sailing on Princess has been the Deli sandwich area. I guess HAL has lost another of the (very) few advantages we found over Princess. With HAL ships losing the Deli, I'm struggling to think of any remaining advantage. Maybe the nacho/taco bar - but DH loves that Princess offers milkshakes. That's a draw.

Is it a really indecisive person? I'm pretty sure that there's a squad of them on every cruise. They get a list of passengers in front of whom they're supposed to stand. I'm always on the list.

me too! and no matter when I go to the sandwich bar, I am always behind at least five people. I really liked those panini's. groan

In Southern NE they were "cabinets" (i.e., coffee cabinet)

Ah, yes. When milkshakes were "frappes".

Can I interest either of you in a bottle of Allen's Coffee Brandy? (If you are scratching your head, it's OK. If you said yes, grab some coffee milk at the Cumby and meet me up to camp. We can drown our sorrows over the Sox season and the Brady debacle.)