Updated Lido Marketplace - deli no longer custom-made sandwiches?

sppunk

Can I interest either of you in a bottle of Allen's Coffee Brandy? (If you are scratching your head, it's OK. If you said yes, grab some coffee milk at the Cumby and meet me up to camp. We can drown our sorrows over the Sox season and the Brady debacle.)

you didn't post to me, but I'm in :)

Can I interest either of you in a bottle of Allen's Coffee Brandy? (If you are scratching your head, it's OK. If you said yes, grab some coffee milk at the Cumby and meet me up to camp. We can drown our sorrows over the Sox season and the Brady debacle.)

Keep the brandy, I'll just grab my bottle of Autocrat syrup and make my own milk shake :)

I would certainly miss the made to order sandwiches. I often eat just 1/2 sandwich (think one slice bread, cut in two, with whatever " fixins") and soup or salad for lunch. Pre-made are too large and usually not what I want. And there were always lines for sandwiches when I went to get mine .... not a least used at all.

Susan

It's hard to keep up with the changes. We've cruised with Princess a couple of times recently (Emerald and Sapphire) and while we enjoyed their Lido buffet much more than HAL's, we didn't like the MDR experience at all with Princess, mostly because of noise levels.

We have a long cruise coming up this fall with HAL. I look forward to seeing what cooks, so to speak.

you didn't post to me, but I'm in :)

Will you share with me?

I need lots after watching this season. Ugh.

Allen's Coffee Brandy is sort of a Maine inside joke. Just Google Allen's Coffee Brandy Maine.

ARGH! We can just imagine the usual "cheerleaders" justifying all this by saying something like "we are paying the same as we used to pay." But if this is done fleetwide it is just one more reason (along with the smoking policy) why we will continue to choose lines other then HAL! We have watched the Lido buffet (lunch) deteriorate over several years. There was a time when they had lots of fresh fruits, bowls of large cold shrimp, lots of selections at the sandwich bar, ice cream flavors other then van, choc, straw, etc. We find the hot buffet offerings at the buffet usually boring (always chicken, cheap cut of some kind of meat, tired roasted potatoes, etc. Even the Asian Station seems to be very limited. When we compare the Lido buffet to what is offered on other comparable lines (such as Celebrity and Princess) we find that HAL does not even fall into the same class! In fact, even Carnival has better buffet offerings (at lunch) then we find on HAL. Probably the only improvement we have found for lunch on HAL are the grill offerings (usually near the pool).

Getting back to the Lido sandwich bar, it was a long-time favorite of both DW and moi. DW loved to get a chicken salad or a freshly made BLT. I enjoyed the Reubens (would always ask for extra meat to get it close to a real sandwich) or other combination sandwiches (but always had to ask for extra meat since the normal 2 or 3 slices are not my style). HAL pizza is often awful (especially when it has sat under a hot lamp for an hour) so are other option was to get a custom made pasta dish.

So now we wonder if HAL's next step will be to offer cans of Ensure as an alternative to the food they longer offer.

Hank

Holland America Lido has deteriorated significantly over the years and I used to love it. Endless rotisserie chicken which I enjoy but it is a pretty cheap meat offering. I can buy a whole one in any grocery store for five bucks. Cheap selections, lots of repetition. Soggy Italian food that sits out for long periods under the lights.

I loved loved loved the made to order deli sandwiches. Last summer we were disappointed in the Prinsendam sandwiches, available at the hot dog stand. They had few quality cold cuts, they were generally out of smoked turkey or roast beef. They served a very fatty ham, full of gristle, when I took it back I was told it is "spider ham" and that is what they serve. No special bread selections anymore, just burger and hot dog, hoagie type buns. They used to offer a nice selection of breads, ciabatta, rolls.

Princess has a new made to order deli sandwich bar on Royal, Regal which is excellent and they have the International cafe for made to order paninis which I don't care for. Their overall buffet has improved over the years and they improved the layout.

Holland America Lido has deteriorated significantly over the years and I used to love it. Endless rotisserie chicken which I enjoy but it is a pretty cheap meat offering. I can buy a whole one in any grocery store for five bucks. Cheap selections, lots of repetition. Soggy Italian food that sits out for long periods under the lights.

I loved loved loved the made to order deli sandwiches. Last summer we were disappointed in the Prinsendam sandwiches, available at the hot dog stand. They had few quality cold cuts, they were generally out of smoked turkey or roast beef. They served a very fatty ham, full of gristle, when I took it back I was told it is "spider ham" and that is what they serve. No special bread selections anymore, just burger and hot dog, hoagie type buns. They used to offer a nice selection of breads, ciabatta, rolls.

Princess has a new made to order deli sandwich bar on Royal, Regal which is excellent and they have the International cafe for made to order paninis which I don't care for. Their overall buffet has improved over the years and they improved the layout.

Good to hear princess has improved their buffet unfortunately it hasn't reached their other ships. My last cruise was on the emerald princess in February of this year. I found there were very few choices on the buffet and the quality wasn't there. It used to be so much better a few years back. They didn't have a deli sandwich bar which didn't bother me since I don't care for deli meat. It's got way too much salt and preservatives for me. Give me rotisserie chicken any day. I wish we could get them here for $5.

On Zuiderdam in July...

Sandwich station had pre-made sandwiches, but you could always order freshly made ones.

It is only normal there is a selection of pre made sandwiches.

So which is it? Pre-made sandwiches only or not?

In Southern NE they were "cabinets" (i.e., coffee cabinet)

"Were"? Heck, they still "are"!

Now, if HAL would only add those to the drink selection it would be great. That's one of the two good things I found on Oceania's food selections (the other was the great burgers).

So which is it? Pre-made sandwiches only or not?

The pre-made sandwiches only/no custom-made ones are part of the new Lido Market that has been introduced on the Nieuw Amsterdam and Rotterdam. The changes will eventually be on the entire fleet. Read page 15 of the new Mariner Magazine at http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action for more.

Edited by syesmar

We are 3 star on HAL and have been on a total of about 24 cruises since 2006..................

I don't remember EVER having a sandwich in the Lido on ANY of these cruises.

I can have a sandwich at home.........why have one on a ship when there are so many other choices?

We are 3 star on HAL and have been on a total of about 24 cruises since 2006..................

I can have a sandwich at home.........why have one on a ship when there are so many other choices?

That's the way I look at it too but clearly that area is a favourite of many. I love the sir fry area but if it were to end I'm sure I could find something else to enjoy.

Because that's precisely what you want to hit the spot. Nothing else will do it for you.

Sometimes, after being away from home a long time on a long cruise, you start to crave comfort food.

well, I am only 5* ( do stars really matter? - I think NOT)

I do like my sandwiches - and my salads. I don't count my cruises but when we go now they are for 30+ days usually.

I think the least I should have is the what meets my palate.

I guess I will be buying bread on my next HAL cruise. I don't like hot meals at lunch. I don't need it. I just want a bite, salad (and good choices) and I am good to go. So each to their own.

Because that's precisely what you want to hit the spot. Nothing else will do it for you.

Sometimes, after being away from home a long time on a long cruise, you start to crave comfort food.

I agree - and even more so, as I hate the rush of the Lido.

I guess we will be in the MDR assuming we are on the next HAL cruise.

Yup, sandwiches, fresh made, paninis and salads and fruit are important to me. I already lost weight on Celebrity and Princess. I never thought that would be an issue with HAL

Good point Ruth and you cruise a lot from what I have gathered on many boards. Everyone craves something different especially when away from home and I am not one to knock what others choose since the same people would probably not like what I pick out as my special craving of the day. Fortunately for me I really like chicken and I think HAL does that very well.

Despite my comment on sandwiches, I do succumb to at least one hamburger per cruise.

The hamburgers on X are great up on the top deck and I remember the hamburgers on HAL have been good in the past. On the Eurodam on one of our last cruises they were BLAH and kept heated in a pan.......in the old days on HAL they would heat them up just for you on the grill and they were wonderful. Hope they still do that as we will be craving lots of things on our upcoming 20 day TA.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Despite my comment on sandwiches, I do succumb to at least one hamburger per cruise.

The hamburgers on X are great up on the top deck and I remember the hamburgers on HAL have been good in the past. On the Eurodam on one of our last cruises they were BLAH and kept heated in a pan.......in the old days on HAL they would heat them up just for you on the grill and they were wonderful. Hope they still do that as we will be craving lots of things on our upcoming 20 day TA.

If you haven't had a burger on HAL since they switched to Dive-In, then you are in for a treat.

The quality of the meat has been improved significantly. They will cook it to order, so not only has it not been sitting around, but it will be to the degree of doneness you prefer---not well done for everyone, like it or not.

There is a menu on a board by the order station, you place your order, and are given a pager.

I check the board for the various ingredients, then build the burger the way I want. :D

But most days I don't want that much for lunch. Some days a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of milk is perfect.

On the Prinsendam over the holidays, they had the pre-made sandwiches. Like others have commented, they usually looked old and unappetizing and we never tried them. It may have just been the times we were there, but there was never anyone manning the sandwich bar, either. The absence of a staff member, plus the lack of sandwich specials on the Lido menu, led us to assume that the made to order sandwiches were no more.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by “over the holidays.” We have been on the Prinsendam for quite a while this past season and when we wanted one, there was always someone available to make deli sandwiches. We really enjoy them.

If they become no longer available, we’ll simply take several sandwiches each and combine what we want from them to get the sandwiches we desire. No problems here.

If enough cruisers do this, the waste will be obvious and the custom deli sandwiches may be available once again.

Scott & Karen

too true - and sometimes you just want something simple like a turkey sandwich to balance the 'richness' of the other food

i, like most that have posted here have some strong feelings for food. I know I do, and that is one of the reasons I like cruising. If the quality of food diminishes significantly, there is no reason to cruise that particular cruise line-at least for me. I have this habit of eating that has been with me since birth and so far it hasn't been abated. So if you are in your cabin and are awakened by running sounds, it's probably me headed for a good meal or some kids loose. And I'm not overweight due to genetics.

Edited by flyguy

i, like most that have posted here have some strong feelings for food. I know I do, and that is one of the reasons I like cruising. If the quality of food diminishes significantly, there is no reason to cruise that particular cruise line-at least for me. I have this habit of eating that has been with me since birth and so far it hasn't been abated. So if you are in your cabin and are awakened by running sounds, it's probably me headed for a good meal or some kids loose. And I'm not overweight due to genetics.

Oh my, you are speaking my language! But here is the reality of cruising. If you cruise on mass market cruise lines (i.e. Celebrity, Princess, HAL, etc) you are going to get....at best.....banquet food. And all the cruise lines have cut-back on the quality/variety of products with the goal of reducing per diem costs. So where you used to find a bowl of cold large shrimp at the lunch buffet you will now find more lettuce! Expensive fish has now given way to near tasteless farmed seafood like Tilapia. Salad bars now have fewer ingredients, cheese selections are not near as good as years past, etc.

So what does one do. Personally, we have now found ourselves cutting back on our cruises in order to spend more time on land (where we generally rent a car and drive). Last year we reduced our cruise time to spend a month just driving in France....and we have done the same in places like Italy and New Zealand (where we recently spent 2 weeks just driving on South Island). Besides giving us time to really see and enjoy countries, the driving trips allow us to carefully choose our eating venues :). During our trips last year (7 months out of the USA) we rented condos in both Paris and Avignon so we would have significant time to enjoy great French cuisine. During our time on South Island we rented a condo in Queenstown which is an amazing city not near any cruise port. This gave us a chance to eat in some excellent restaurants (the worst was far better then the best on HAL) and visit numerous wineries that produce some amazing Pinot Noirs.

So, where we have averaged over 70 days a year cruising.....this year we have cut all the way back to only 14! Maybe next year we will do 100+, but I must admit to getting tired of chicken, 6 mussels (as served on HAL), salad bars that lack, cheese boards that have no decent blue cheeses, etc. As we grow older (we are typical HAL seniors) we will likely find ourselves doing more and more cruising because of our inability to handle land trips DIY! But for now (in our 60s) we still have options.....and finding good food is high on our list.

Hank

P.S. When the most memorable cruise food (in the past year) is the always good Princess Pizza...things are pretty sad.

Edited by Hlitner

We cruised with Celebrity last winter, and loved the overall experience as much as HAL, but the biggest disappointment was their lack of good deli meat to make ruebens etc. They had on display these gross looking pressed meats like meatloaf, bologna etc. I swear if I looked closer I'd find a macaroni and cheese loaf or something equally unappealing. We both kept commenting - "can't beat HAL's wonderful deli and made to order sandwiches"! This is a sad day. My dear husband will be very disappointed. We're on the Nieuw Amsterdam in February. I hope something drastic happens and it comes back before then.