Updated Lido Marketplace - deli no longer custom-made sandwiches?

sppunk

<snip>

The premade choices are there to help the grab-n-go customer, or for those people who can't make up their minds.**

Q: What kind of bread?

A: What are my choices?

**I should mention that these people manage to strategically locate themselves directly ahead of me in line. Not that I'm bitter.***

***Except when it's the ice cream line. The choices are on the board people. Stop asking for flavors that aren't there! I swear.... I will beat you over the head with an ice cream bowl -- and they're hot!

Sounds like you are as lucky as I am when it comes to the strategic places in the line ups ;):p

You can definitely have them make a custom sandwich. The premade choices are there to help the grab-n-go customer, or for those people who can't make up their minds.**

**I should mention that these people manage to strategically locate themselves directly ahead of me in line. Not that I'm bitter.***

***Except when it's the ice cream line. The choices are on the board people. Stop asking for flavors that aren't there! I swear.... I will beat you over the head with an ice cream bowl -- and they're hot!

For those of us with poor vision we can't help not telling what's on offer. :) That's my only lido (or any buffet anywhere complaint) - I never really know what's on offer wherever, despite the menu.

** I know you aren't referring to me but I feel a duty to represent my fellow vision friends

*** I now want ice cream in a waffle cone

You can definitely have them make a custom sandwich. The premade choices are there to help the grab-n-go customer, or for those people who can't make up their minds.**

And, I thought these people only sailed on my cruises!:D

Previous posters have jogged my memory and I do now remember pre-made subs of 2-4 types at the beginning of the customized sandwich area on the Noordam in January. I tried a couple of the subs and they were good, I thought.

[/i]

Those people in the ice cream line asking for unavailable flavors are closely followed to those who, just as you've reached the front of the queue, step right in front of you to help themselves to the cookies. Wouldn't mind that so much but then it takes them hours to figure out what kind they want and then of course they have to ask for a bowl to put their 3 dozen into. EKE!!!!:eek: Is it okay if I also deploy that "hot bowl" weapon? :D

We are currently sailing on the Statendam. There is a tray of pre-made sandwiches in the Lido for lunch. I have never seen anyone take one. I believe you. Can still request a sandwich made to your specifications.

Ship is in good shape. Service is exceptional except with the anytime dining. Weather has been overcast and chilly every day.

I sailed on her on the May 31 sailing out of Seattle. I saw those sandwiches in the bags, like a Subway sandwich...but not as good looking. I never tried one. They just looked "old" for a better term.

And maybe I just totally missed it, but I never saw anyone making sandwiches like they used to. I liked to make a salad for lunch and then go to the sandwich station and get some pickles... :) ... and some chicken or tuna salad to add onto my fresh made salad.

So I hope it was just me not being observant because I too liked the sandwich station.

Our experience was that there were some pre-made sandwiches but you could also order sandwiches to your specifications as long as somebody was working behind the counter. On the Oosterdam and Veendam (last year) there was always somebody during the peak meal hours...but if you stopped for a sandwich at a strange time (i.e. 3:30) there might be nobody working behind the counter.

Hank

For those of us with poor vision we can't help not telling what's on offer. :) That's my only lido (or any buffet anywhere complaint) - I never really know what's on offer wherever, despite the menu.

** I know you aren't referring to me but I feel a duty to represent my fellow vision friends

*** I now want ice cream in a waffle cone

Thanks for adopting the asterisk footnotes!

Ice cream line? On our 35 day Oosterdam cruise there was never any issue about flavors. They had Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry....and THAT IS ALL THEY HAD for 35 days. They did have some rotating sugar free flavors and rotating sherbets....but only offered the standard 3 flavors of ice cream for the entire cruise. Boring!

Hank

Ice cream line? On our 35 day Oosterdam cruise there was never any issue about flavors. They had Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry....and THAT IS ALL THEY HAD for 35 days. They did have some rotating sugar free flavors and rotating sherbets....but only offered the standard 3 flavors of ice cream for the entire cruise. Boring!

Hank

On the Nieuw Amsterdam, one of the ice cream stations had a pretty static flavor line up, but the opposite side had a rotation. No idea why, but my job was to look for coffee ice cream.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam, one of the ice cream stations had a pretty static flavor line up, but the opposite side had a rotation. No idea why, but my job was to look for coffee ice cream.

I do remember when you could only get coffee ice cream in New England but that was 50 years ago....;)

You'll get both! We just got off the Oosterdam. So convenient to have "grab and go" - especially for that late night snack or refrigerate for that early morning tour! And for those who love the "made to order" - we were able to get ours made any way we wanted! The best of both worlds!

Just off the Statendam & the above was true on our cruise ::)

I read on a blog from a sailing last week that the new Lido Marketplace's deli didn't offer the make-your-own sandwich option like in the past. It was all pre-made with daily specials that you could customize.

I can't recall which ship for the life of me or find the blog link.

Anyone experience this? The Koningsdam literature reads like this is what she'll offer too.

oh my - which ship??? was this all the time?? or was it a one-time thing??

Do know they started to offer pre-made sandwiches plus made to order but haven't cruised since Dec.

oh my - which ship??? was this all the time?? or was it a one-time thing??

Do know they started to offer pre-made sandwiches plus made to order but haven't cruised since Dec.

I certainly hope this isn't true. Perhaps it will be like on other cruise lines where there are venues with pre-made sandwiches and croissants available around the clock (I am thinking Cafe Promenade on RCI) but at the Lido/Buffet there is a Deli as well where you can get custom-made sandwiches. I'm going to think positive until I find out otherwise.:o

Not having the availability of asking the culinary staff person at the deli sandwich counter to prepare a sandwich to my specifications is not a Signature of Excellence indication.

Most of us can probably purchase a pre-made deli sandwich in our nearby grocery store.

g.

Or our local 7-11. Guess that ship service is getting down to the level of your local 7-11.

DON

Yummmm. Coffee ice cream with chocolate chips is my favorite!! Now, I want ice cream!::)

One thing I am amused by (and frustrated by) on Cruise Critic - posts like this one. It starts out with the concept of someone else reporting (and referenced here) something negative about a cruise line change. (It could also be a positive change so reported.) (In this case fresh made to order sandwiches no longer available.) Now, just reading the OP, numerous posters take it as true and respond negatively about the cruise line. However, then multiple people report - not true, on their recent sailings - they were still available in addition to some pre-made offerings. Few seem to believe this but do seem to believe the OP who was simply referencing something they read.

Now, hours later folks are still bemoaning the loss of another HAL service based on a blog comment that can no longer be found. Why are folks so quick to believe second hand anonymous information versus first hand reports from folks we "know", and whose track record on information is known?????

In reading the OP, as at least one other said, I wondered if perhaps the blogger had gone to the Lido outside of the main lunch times - when for years ready made sandwiches have been available in a cooler case well into the afternoon. However, being second hand information from an unidentified blog, one cannot ask that question. So, the cruise line bashing continues despite the questionable information.

Pre-made sandwiches may become the norm and the only option for any type of sandwich. Why can't the norm then take a foothold ?

NCL attempted forbidding passengers from bringing food to their rooms from restaurants and buffets, and coincidentally introduced $7.95 room service. The howls of protest were heard loudly and clearly...thus that edict was eliminated.

Some of NCL's ships are now charging varying rates in Cagney's Steakhouse.

RCC tried a-la carte at Jamie's Italian Restaurant on Anthem of the Seas, but the people spoke up...so it reverted to a fixed fee of $30.

I can see HAL will gradually attempt to recoup costs over time. I noticed it when the Canaletto at one time did not charge, but now does.

Pre-made sandwiches is not a big deal for me, but it may be the next experiment to gauge reactions, whether they receive a tidal wave or a mere trickle of negative response.

One thing I am amused by (and frustrated by) on Cruise Critic - posts like this one. It starts out with the concept of someone else reporting (and referenced here) something negative about a cruise line change. (It could also be a positive change so reported.) (In this case fresh made to order sandwiches no longer available.) Now, just reading the OP, numerous posters take it as true and respond negatively about the cruise line. However, then multiple people report - not true, on their recent sailings - they were still available in addition to some pre-made offerings. Few seem to believe this but do seem to believe the OP who was simply referencing something they read.

Now, hours later folks are still bemoaning the loss of another HAL service based on a blog comment that can no longer be found. Why are folks so quick to believe second hand anonymous information versus first hand reports from folks we "know", and whose track record on information is known?????

In reading the OP, as at least one other said, I wondered if perhaps the blogger had gone to the Lido outside of the main lunch times - when for years ready made sandwiches have been available in a cooler case well into the afternoon. However, being second hand information from an unidentified blog, one cannot ask that question. So, the cruise line bashing continues despite the questionable information.

This happens on all boards. Some people read the OP and perhaps a few more then jump in, not realizing that there has been a whole change in direction. Then others read the first few and last few and miss all the first-hand posts in between. It's pretty obvious when you are several pages into a thread and someone quotes the OP's OP. Just something you have to accept as part of the process I suppose.

Edited by Fouremco

One reason for some posters is because they don't read the entire thread before posting.

They never even see the posts correcting misinformation, then they continue to spread it, sometimes referring to it in later threads.

No, not everyone is guilty of this, but sufficient people are that it becomes an issue.

O

I read on a blog from a sailing last week that the new Lido Marketplace's deli didn't offer the make-your-own sandwich option like in the past. It was all pre-made with daily specials that you could customize.

I can't recall which ship for the life of me or find the blog link.

Anyone experience this? The Koningsdam literature reads like this is what she'll offer too.

Nieuw Amsterdam and Rotterdam have eliminated the Deli and Made-to-Order Sandwiches! We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam after her Drydock in April. NO Deli and NO made-to-order sandwiches! We were told by the COM this new concept will roll out on all the Ships Fleetwide! During Drydock they have removed the refrigeration unit that held the deli meat. It has been replaced with Counter Top that holds baskets of Pre-made Sandwiches. Potato Chips are in a big Wicker Basket with tongs!

We did fill out the Comment Card onboard as well as the Comment Survey expressing our disappointment with this "New Concept"! There were four types offered daily! There was no refrigeration and no rotation procedures for length of time they were out sitting in baskets. They are brought up from the kitchen on Speed Racks and are in open-ended paper bags. You could see many people that would pick them up, squeeze them, poke their fingers in the opening at the top feeling the bread, etc. they then would put it back until they decided on one to take!

Besides concerns of germ transfer from passengers the Pre-Mades are also a problem for those with Dietary Restrictions and Allergies to certain foods such as Tomatoes. Every type of sandwich had tomatoes on them and most breads had seeds, etc.

This is a huge cutback to eliminate the Deli and Made-to-Order sandwiches! They also eliminated Specialty Salads such as Pasta Salad, Potato Salad, Chicken Salad, etc. The Salad Bar is now basically just Salad! The Cheese Selections are minimal, too!

We're not happy with these cutbacks and have complained both onboard and after we got home! If you want the Deli not to be eliminated as Ships go into Drydock, then please email Guest Services and express your opinion!

Edited by idiebabe

O

Nieuw Amsterdam and Rotterdam have eliminated the Deli and Made-to-Order Sandwiches! We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam after her Drydock in April. NO Deli and NO made-to-order sandwiches! We were told by the COM this new concept will roll out on all the Ships Fleetwide! During Drydock they have removed the refrigeration unit that held the deli meat. It has been replaced with Counter Top that holds baskets of Pre-made Sandwiches. Potato Chips are in a big Wicker Basket with tongs!

We did fill out the Comment Card onboard as well as the Comment Survey expressing our disappointment with this "New Concept"! There were four types offered daily! There was no refrigeration and no rotation procedures for length of time they were out sitting in baskets. They are brought up from the kitchen on Speed Racks and are in open-ended paper bags. You could see many people that would pick them up, squeeze them, poke their fingers in the opening at the top feeling the bread, etc. they then would put it back until they decided on one to take!

Besides concerns of germ transfer from passengers the Pre-Mades are also a problem for those with Dietary Restrictions and Allergies to certain foods such as Tomatoes. Every type of sandwich had tomatoes on them and most breads had seeds, etc.

This is a huge cutback to eliminate the Deli and Made-to-Order sandwiches! They also eliminated Specialty Salads such as Pasta Salad, Potato Salad, Chicken Salad, etc. The Salad Bar is now basically just Salad! The Cheese Selections are minimal, too!

We're not happy with these cutbacks and have complained both onboard and after we got home! If you want the Deli not to be eliminated as Ships go into Drydock, then please email Guest Services and express your opinion!

OH MY!!! That is NOT good news. Thanks for reporting but I wish the news was better.

I'm not a sandwich eater (on shore or on the ship) so I've never taken advantage of the deli counter on the ships, but the fact that management has chosen to eliminate it does not surprise me in the least.

With fewer staff it makes sense to eliminate that position, particularly if it was the least used of the Lido stations. Before anyone comments about how they loved the deli station, in my experience, I rarely saw anyone with a deli-style sandwich in the Lido, which it not to say people did not enjoy them, just that I rarely noticed anyone doing so. So I can see that was one of the stations that could easily be cut, leaving at least one staffer to man another, more popular station.