The What Time to get to the port debate

What time do you go to the port  

376 members have voted

1. 1. What time do you go to the port

DH and I like to arrive early at the cruise port. We always arrive at least a day early. We eat an early breakfast, then leave the hotel about 10:00 am, arriving at the port about 10:30. WE would rather wait at the port, then wait in our hotel room.

We always head straight to the Windjammer for lunch; it is not usually very crowded. We then check out our dining room table. By then, the rooms are usually open. We check out our room, drop of our carry on luggage, then explore the ship. At about 3:00 we head back to our room to see if our luggage has arrived; put our stuff away if it has. Change for dinner, then leave for our muster drill station.

Fun times; we are on a cruise.

We usually arrive between 10-11. My kids are sooooo bored sitting in the hotel, that it's easier to just let them wait at the port till we are allowed to board. Last cruise, we were group #12 so we waited 30-45 minutes in the seating area. The nice thing was, we were so early there was virtually no line for check in

First Cruise - Carnival Dream 2011, 7 nights

Eastern Carribean

Carnival Fantasy - 10th Anniversary Cruise to

Nassau/Freeport, 5 nights

Carnival Liberty - 7 nights with the whole family. Western Caribbean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have said this a thousand times...if you get to the port before 11AM you are IN THE WAY..... this is a very hectic time...e.g. passengers leaving, service trucks replenishing, porters are tending to disembarkation versus embarkation. More times than not you will stand in line outside waiting for initial entry or at best be allowed to enter and have the privilege sit in a plastic chair waiting until ? Of course what I suggest does not matter as people will do what they do. However I personally find it extremely annoying I have to go through a wall of embarking people in the way when I and others are leaving the ship after 9 A.M.

I have said this a thousand times...if you get to the port before 11AM you are IN THE WAY..... this is a very hectic time...e.g. passengers leaving, service trucks replenishing, porters are tending to disembarkation versus embarkation. More times than not you will stand in line outside waiting for initial entry or at best be allowed to enter and have the privilege sit in a plastic chair waiting until ? Of course what I suggest does not matter as people will do what they do. However I personally find it extremely annoying I have to go through a wall of embarking people in the way when I and others are leaving the ship after 9 A.M.

Try leaving before 9:00

Ah, the crux of what has been said a thousand times surfaces - walking through the dreaded wall of embarking people!

Usually around noon. I can't see getting there any earlier as we don't have a long drive to any port and we don't need to eat as soon as we get on since we live close. Gives us plenty of time to grab a drink and check out table seating.

How are people arriving at 10:30 in the way of those leaving at 9 or 9:30?

Reading comprehension is a bonus on this web-site, in this case the key word was "after". Plus the mention of service vehicles and porter shift changes.

Edited by rolloman

Always love a reason to post the view from my deck on cruise morning. :D

No worries, no hurries.

I only live down the road but I'm always looking for new friends who live a little closer Than I do so I could park my car at their house and get to the port early like 9 AM so I can get in the way of the people getting off. And I sit in comfy cushioned chairs or couches when I wait not plastic.

Edited by mark22mac

I typically like to arrive around 12-1230 as the lines and waiting are usually non-existent. Also arriving at 1230 I can usually get onboard, get my first glass of wine or beer, stroll around for 10-15 min then rooms are ready. Windjammer is much less chaotic at that point!

Thanks for the tip.....however out of 60+ cruises I have left the ship first and last, therefore I have a good idea of what to expect from all phases of debarkation.

Well obviously most that post here aren't as experienced in cruising as you are. Would it be fair to say that if you are one of the first off you wouldn't be frustrated by those arriving early for "their" vacation. I find it hard to fault people for wanting to arrive at the port early. It's called being excited. Do you think that those waiting to board might be a little frustrated with those delaying their disembarkation and in some cases stragglers being responsible for delaying scheduled boarding times.

We have been on 16 cruises to date getting ready to go on number 17. Disembarking passengers have delayed our boarding 3 times.

If passengers arriving early was adversely obstructing the operation I feel quite confident the Port Authority or the cruise line would put a stop to it.

Just my opinion:)

Well, this upcoming cruise is our first cruise. Our check out at the hotel is 11, so we kind of don't have much of a choice. Unless we go sit on the beach with our luggage. :p

We plan to call a cab about 10:30....we think this is a good time, we can eat breakfast at the hotel. We have no idea what to do or where to go when we get to the port (Port Canaveral), so we will have to figure that out. Then I think we will get on board and walk the ship and see where everything is and get me a mimosa(or 4 :))! Getting excited!!!:D

Edited by dreday3

There are many heated debates about what time People actually go to the port. I know I have been in the middle of them myself.

"Heated debates" over what time people like to get to the embarkation port? Cruise Criticers debate about the weirdest things. :D

I used to be among those who prefer to get on the ship as soon as possible. But with cabins not available until 1:00, it's really annoying having to drag around my carry-on bags. I like to board in time for lunch, but I don't want to have to spend HOURS baby-sitting my suitcase. 12:00-12:30 works for me these days.

If passengers arriving early was adversely obstructing the operation I feel quite confident the Port Authority or the cruise line would put a stop to it.

Just my opinion:)

Well over the past couple years they have been implementing strategies. For example cruise lines are contacting guests in advance and giving them suggested arrival times. I do not see anything they can do outside of this but trust me it has been and will continue to be a concern. I understand the excitement part of early arrival, however it only takes getting burned a few times to come to the realization it is best to wait until at least 11AM until showing up. Typically debarkation should be complete by 10:30. This leaves 30 minutes for the cruise and port authority to shift to embarkation.

The cruise tip I think folks should know is it is actually dangerous to show up too early, a lot of behind the scenes activity is taking place and in some cases urgent. Fork lifts, ambulances, service/replenishment vehicles hoards of folks coming and going. Just chill people, enjoy your hotel breakfast, arrive after 11 AM while they are actually starting the embarkation. Enjoy your cruise. :)

Edited by rolloman

Well, this upcoming cruise is our first cruise. Our check out at the hotel is 11, so we kind of don't have much of a choice. Unless we go sit on the beach with our luggage. :p

We plan to call a cab about 10:30....we think this is a good time, we can eat breakfast at the hotel. We have no idea what to do or where to go when we get to the port (Port Canaveral), so we will have to figure that out. Then I think we will get on board and walk the ship and see where everything is and get me a mimosa(or 4 :))! Getting excited!!!:D

Drop your luggage with the porters and go hang out at Grills till 12:30. Right next door. Actually closer than this picture, I think we've already pulled away

1438462178371.jpg.ae28d1ebd914edc00022b81c40406b32.jpg

Well over the past couple years they have been implementing strategies. For example cruise lines are contacting guests in advance and giving them suggested arrival times. I do not see anything they can do outside of this but trust me it has been and will continue to be a concern.

This will never work. Even people here tell folks to ignore it.

All they can hope for is the natural progression of some not wanting to get to the port so early as to even it out. I am among those who now want to wait until rooms are open and the lunch crowd is gone.

For those who are not sure, just look at the poll. Might and I stress the word might ;) help you to find a time where you are not waiting on line too long.

• 2 weeks later...