On Board Purchase with Elite Member

trbarton

If someone that is Elite goes with me to help me purchase something in the jewelry store can they just show there card and coupon and I have it charged on my card or will they have to have it charged to there account and I pay them for the purchase?

Thanks!

Tom:)

When you say "help me purchase," I presume that's a euphemism for giving you their discount? It was my understanding that Elite perks, from pre-boarding lounges to laundry to internet, were not meant to be shared. Why would one think that does not apply to the boutique discount? Such behaviour will, I imagine, insure that the discount will become a thing of the past. Too bad, as I was looking forward to earning that particular perk.

If someone that is Elite goes with me to help me purchase something in the jewelry store can they just show there card and coupon and I have it charged on my card or will they have to have it charged to there account and I pay them for the purchase?

Thanks!

The Elite 10% boutique discount is for the Elite member and not a discount for anyone else on the ship.

"PREFERRED DISCOUNT PACKAGE

10% Boutique Discount

Our Boutiques are second to none for choice and gift selection. Now, as an Elite Member, take advantage of a 10% discount storewide to buy those extra gifts for all your family back home! Your Cruise Card is your key to this wonderful benefit - simply show it when you make any purchase, and our Boutique Staff will automatically deduct 10% from your purchase price".

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/jsp/eliteMemberShipBenefits.jsp

The Elite 10% boutique discount is for the Elite member and not a discount for anyone else on the ship.

"PREFERRED DISCOUNT PACKAGE

10% Boutique Discount

Our Boutiques are second to none for choice and gift selection. Now, as an Elite Member, take advantage of a 10% discount storewide to buy those extra gifts for all your family back home! Your Cruise Card is your key to this wonderful benefit - simply show it when you make any purchase, and our Boutique Staff will automatically deduct 10% from your purchase price".

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/jsp/eliteMemberShipBenefits.jsp

The Elite member could buy anything as a gift - whether the giftee is at home or on the ship. If you really think no Elite member has ever bought a "gift" for someone else, you are indeed naive.

While this could obviously be abused, I don't see how it could be prevented. Depending on how the shopping is done, the clerk in the shop wouldn't even necessarily know for whom the Elite was purchasing the item - and it could be for themselves.

All you can hope is that people are reasonable and not running about the ship offering strangers special prices for a small fee.

PS - We are not Elite yet and the thought brought up in this thread has never occurred to me

Edited by steelers36

As soon as I saw this question I figured it was going to go the route of sharing AIBPs or soda stickers.....

I can understand why people get upset though. If its abused the benefit tends to go away, and people do spend good money to earn elite status.

I would think the purchase would have to go on the Elite holder's card. If they then decide to "gift" you with it, that's their choice.

Yes thats correct. Its not just flashing the card while saying HEY!! give Joe Blow over there the discount.

It would have to be charged to the Elite passengers account.

The Elite member could buy anything as a gift - whether the giftee is at home or on the ship. If you really think no Elite member has ever bought a "gift" for someone else, you are indeed naive.

While this could obviously be abused, I don't see how it could be prevented. Depending on how the shopping is done, the clerk in the shop wouldn't even necessarily know for whom the Elite was purchasing the item - and it could be for themselves.

All you can hope is that people are reasonable and not running about the ship offering strangers special prices for a small fee.

PS - We are not Elite yet and the thought brought up in this thread has never occurred to me

Okay...now I understand how it works...if you can get away with it & abuse the system that makes it okay because you won't get caught. :rolleyes:

I'm not so naive as to think that people do not abuse the benefit but also don't agree that it's proper to share benefits nor to promote abuse of benefits. The portion of their statement you highlighted in red ignored the other part of their statement..."to buy those extra gifts for all your family back home".

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about this procedure.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks!

No. It doesn't work that way.

Yes thats correct. Its not just flashing the card while saying HEY!! give Joe Blow over there the discount.

It would have to be charged to the Elite passengers account.

Exactly. If the OP wants to buy a gift for the other passenger, that's allowed. The 10% discount is applied only as the black card is being processed for the charge to their folio.

Thanks!

In the jewelery store, you can usually pay directly with a credit card,

rather than cruise card.

Use elite cruise card, and friend's credit card?

Why don't you see if you can get a crew member to buy

for you? They get a slightly bigger discount.

The government would go after the purchaser of record, ie. the Elite passenger. At least in theory, the actual purchaser would reimburse the Elite passenger for any costs. Looks like an opportunity to ruin a friendship

Not that we are different status but, as I sign up to settle both my account and my wife's, and they simply merge the onboard accounts at the end of the cruise by transferring my wife's balance onto my account which is then settled, using a single credit/charge card transaction.

So, if the two people who are involved in the potential transaction are sharing a stateroom and planning to settle their accounts as one, I don't see what the problem is as it is simply a matter of making sure that they use any non-Elite OBC for transactions which do not attract a discount and make sure the Elite member charges all transactions which do attract a discount to their account.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

In the jewelery store, you can usually pay directly with a credit card,

rather than cruise card.

Use elite cruise card, and friend's credit card?

Why don't you see if you can get a crew member to buy

for you? They get a slightly bigger discount.

I thought that any ship's purchase was always made with the cruise card. This is news to me.

I'm sure any random crew member would be happy to buy something for you and risk their job to get you the discount :rolleyes:

It works this way. When a purchase is made using an Elite cruise card the ship's accounting system automatically deducts the 10%. It isn't manually done by the shop's staff. If a purchase is made using any other cruise card the system does not make a 10% deduction.

Bottom line, if you want the discount then the purchase has to be made by the Elite passenger and go onto the Elite's on board account. Any payback will have to be a private transaction between the parties and not via the ship.

Thanks!

Not too sure about this; but if a purchase is over a certain $ amount, Customs is notified and the purchase must be declared.

So, the Black Card person would have a Customs notification on his record.

As I say, not too sure about this.

Normally there's a 10% discount, for purchases over $100.00, on the first and second day on the ship. Have your friend make their purchase then.

Oops, I meant to say that the OP should make their purchase then.:o Then you will still get your 10% discount.

I thought that any ship's purchase was always made with the cruise card. This is news to me.

I'm sure any random crew member would be happy to buy something for you and risk their job to get you the discount :rolleyes:

We have made a few substantial purchases in the shops. Always had to be on our shipboard account.

I have to say that if the Elite wants to charge something to his card it makes no difference to anyone else whether he keeps the purchase, gives it away, or sells it.

That's kind of how I see it. Once you own something, it's pretty much yours to do with as you please. I don't see this as abuse of the system. It's entirely possible the Elite buyer will like the thing and decide to keep it for himself. :)

From time-to-time, Caribill posts a link to a picture of the

credit card logo decals in the shop window/door.

This is a link from a previous post. Credit to Caribill.

http://s122.photobucket.com/user/caribill/media/094122110Chargecardsacceptedinboutiques101_9622_zpsf156741c.jpg.html?sort=3&o=162

Edited by pablo222