Cancelled cruises announcement - Epic, Jade, Spirit, Star, Sun

noche_caliente

The phone lines for the number on the letter were open today and I was able to transfer my booking with no wait and no problems.

I transferred one of my cruises today also. Still undecided about what date to move the other one too.

So gad that you managed to transfer your cancelled sailings, but very disappointed that NCL UK will not budge on the date of 17th August for me.

I just called and was told categorically that no changes can be done until Monday, as the option to transfer at protected rate is not available, and our current reservation is 'frozen' so cannot be accessed until Monday.

So we have to call at 9 am on Monday and join the queue of people calling to change, so it maybe a while before we are connected as there are going to be lots of people trying to change.

As I explained to the rep (who was as helpful as he could be), I also work in the travel industry but I start at 8:30 am and I can't sit in a queue waiting for NCL UK to answer at 9 as I can guarantee that I will also have clients calling to book new or change existing flights, hotels, car rental, visa applications, train tickets etc etc!

I also asked what NCL will do if the category of cabin we currently have is not available, or there isn't one in the location we chose specifically. He didn't know as NCL have not advised the reps what to do in that situation. But he did think that they will try their best to accommodate you in a cabin closest to your current one, but you may have to pay more if the only ones available are in a higher category!

So I can't wait for the bun fight on Monday!

We're you offered the jade as a move over option on your letter or was it just one you picked? I was originally on the Jade westrn carribean out of TX but it was canceled. I'd like to just move to Tampa and do the Jade, but it was not an option.

I asked for that when I called, and I was told I was welcome to cruise on the Jade from Tampa, but I would lose my rate and amenities. I gave up and asked for a refund...it just wasn't worth fighting for, especially since I have other options for the same ports as my cancelled cruise without having to incur the expense of air fare.

Edited by Cindy

I asked for that when I called, and I was told I was welcome to cruise on the Jade from Tampa, but I would lose my rate and amenities. I gave up and asked for a refund...it just wasn't worth fighting for, especially since I have other options for the same ports as my cancelled cruise without having to incur the expense of air fare.

It makes sense for you, since you have other options , but We have to fly to port either way. I looked around and there were no options on other cruises that came close to what we had (balcony, KSF, UBP for $1900 7 day W Carrib)except CCL but with OV room and no drink package. So I'm just praying that the new cruise releases will be at a reduced rate since we have no price protection. Cross your fingers for me.

FWIW I have just received an email from a NCL UK PCC who said that they are still not sure if we can change on Monday, but it could be not until sometime later next week. Well that's just not on as they have set a deadline of 24th for us to have all this sorted or NCL will cancel and refund our deposits.

I am so close to telling NCL to just cancel and refund our money and then I'll cancel our flights and send them the invoice for my non-refundable flights for full reimbursement.

I'm being very flexible here I think and I am prepared to take another sailing with different ports (not the ones we chose initially) but NCL are messing us around.

Dont cancel your flights you will never get the money back from ncl..airline tickets do not have anything to do with ncl

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They have confirmed in writing that if I have to cancel or change they will reimburse up to £97 per person.

We lost a cruise on the Spirit (cat SE) due to the changes. Our offer is to move to the Epic (cat H5) to keep our cost and promotions. Three problems. First there are three of us and the H5 only has room for 2. Second, there are no cruises listed for the Epic out of Port Canaveral for the period they offered us. Third we were traveling with family who had a connecting stateroom. I'll be cancelling unless I can negotiate a different ship.

If they can offer up to £97 per person to cover flight cancellations then they could honour booking perks. Quite frankly a cruise not within the same time frame as the one being cancelled is not a reasonable offer of like for like. Our leave is fixed which is why we book so far ahead. We are already scheduled on the sailing NCL suggest.

Everyone please keep us posted next week, as to what "offers" YOUR NCL rep offered when u contacted them.

We had a BTB (West & East Med) on the Epic for Nov/Dec 2016. Our Rep said they won't know anything until this week-end & can't "do anything" for most folks until Monday at the earliest.

We booked for the UDP & the UBP & a BTB so we'd only have 1 airfare. Very disappointed in NCL. Have a bunch of cruises booked on Carnival....wish NCL had a John Heald! Joe

I was on the Star out of Tampa in early April 2017. I also got the offer letter of switching my cruise times to non-convenient times earlier in the year that we cannot travel. I called and refused and said I need a cruise for the same dates. Today, I got an email confirming the Jade with the same dates in early April still with 3/4 person sail free for the same price. Same cruise, same ports, different ship--glad they did the right thing and honored it.

Edited by elaine5

OP back - I was on the Star 12/11/16 out of Tampa in 11550. I got an email earlier today that they have moved us to the Jade out of Tampa 12/11/16, same ports, same room category, but they originally assigned us to 11524 which is under the fitness center and NOT a room I would choose due to noise and the fact that I will have a baby possibly celebrating his/her first birthday ON the cruise and we will need some quiet for baby to sleep.

A call to my NCL PCC was able to get us switched not to the room I really wanted, but over to the other side of the ship at least.

She also sent me an amenities confirmation that included our original UBP, UDP, OBC and DSC.

Now we will need to wait until next week to call them about the fact that they increased the price despite the fact that it was supposed to protect my fare. The increase is due to higher port fees which I suspect is due to the fact that they order of the ports has changed. Yes the cost difference is $34.14 and I can certainly afford it, but it is the principle of the fact that I did NOT initiate this change, and NCL will not be receiving an extra dime of my money. They are the ones who need to eat the cost of the increased fees because they are the ones who made the change, not me.

I just called my big box TA and waited on hold for 30 mins. When we tried to call NCL to beat the rush, I was told the special booking department closed for the day (5:05 pm) and will reopen on Monday. Missed it by that much! If my TA has a 30 minute wait today, I can't even imagine what Monday is going to look like!:eek:

We've decided not to take up NCL's offer of any of the alternatives as they don't compare to the one they've cancelled and their compensation was an insult IMHO.

I was also told yesterday that although they initially said we could not make any changes until the 17th and that they had to be complete by the 24th or NCL would automatically cancel our sailing and refund all deposits, some guests in the US were able to make changes on Fri, 14th but we in the UK could not.

Then the personal cruise consultant said we may not be able to do any changes tomorrow in the UK and so it would be later in the week, reducing the time we had until the 24th to get it all sorted.

It has left a very bitter taste of the way NCL do business, so although we were initially excited on taking our first NCL sailing, it looks like it may never take place as I'd be very hesitant on booking with them in the future.

Good luck and happy sailing to all of you affected by NCL's changes and the alternatives you decide on.

Not really for me.

I had a cruise cancelled. I was offered the option to re-book the cruise a year earlier than the original cruise and I would get the same perks and rate. I already had another cruise booked so not really a possible option; I also booked (the canceled cruise) really early to get the good rate which is what NCL had to offer if you booked early.

So, not offered a good alternative. I think has been a very common situation so not really treated OK.

Are you able to choose among the offerings tomorrow (Monday, 8/17)?

We've decided not to take up NCL's offer of any of the alternatives as they don't compare to the one they've cancelled and their compensation was an insult IMHO.

I was also told yesterday that although they initially said we could not make any changes until the 17th and that they had to be complete by the 24th or NCL would automatically cancel our sailing and refund all deposits, some guests in the US were able to make changes on Fri, 14th but we in the UK could not.

Then the personal cruise consultant said we may not be able to do any changes tomorrow in the UK and so it would be later in the week, reducing the time we had until the 24th to get it all sorted.

It has left a very bitter taste of the way NCL do business, so although we were initially excited on taking our first NCL sailing, it looks like it may never take place as I'd be very hesitant on booking with them in the future.

Good luck and happy sailing to all of you affected by NCL's changes and the alternatives you decide on.

I have always had good experiences with NCL and their Customer Service, but I have to say things have apparently changed. :(

This whole debacle is really messing with many cruisers' plans and benefiting very few.

I guess it really shouldn't surprise us that some are getting their cruises rebooked "early" and the rest of us are left to wait until Monday, or later.

For now we are sticking with NCL, but if things continue to deteriorate we will not hesitate to take our cruising dollars elsewhere! There are some other cruise lines we would like to try. NCL may push us in that direction!

I'm so sorry that your first booked cruise with NCL ended up as part of this mess. Maybe, just maybe, at some point in the near future NCL will get back on track and you will reconsider booking with them. ;)

I know what you mean about a bitter taste in your mouth. This whole thing really stinks and to pour salt in the wound I am making my final payment on our Escape cruise next week, in the midst of this mess.

But for what its worth and I may be mistaken, it looks like those who were able to change on Friday were those who had like cruises they could just switch to. I haven't seen anyone post that the new itineraries were available other than the Jade which just took over the the Spirit(?)s port in Tampa. For me I want to see every option out there before I make a decision since I'm not price protected anyway.

Also, like everyone else I am eager to re- book on Monday, but I'm thinking it might be better to wait until later I the week to avoid the wait time. I guess what's a few more days at this point?

Where is the # for NCL? Have tried the one in the e-mail & my TA, but both are "closed" until tomorrow?

Re: Cuba....think Carnival will get there first!

Re: NCL....depending upon what we get tomorrow, & how "hard" the process is, we may "dump" NCL, except for "local" cruises out of Florida or New Orleans.

Wish NCL had a "John Heald!" Joe

Here's hoping this thread lights up with stories of fair rebook options this week. If not I fear the negative press here and elsewhere is going to be something NCL will have a hard time shaking. Fingers crossed that those who have not been offered a valid rebook offer will have one tomorrow and we can move on to excitement of the vacation planning process. NCL could certainly use a good shot of, "we take care of our customers" and by doing so tomorrow they will have that and more.

What if you do nothing. My letter said if NCL does not hear from us by the 24th they will cancel our cruise and refund the money. My TA is also a big box, starts with a C..... and they will not be charging us any money. My TA said they will have extra staff on hand come the 17th to try and deal with the mess. I am pacific time and so are they. I plan on calling my ta at 5am in hopes of having some luck. Who even knows if my big box will be using NCL after this debacle. They pride themselves on providing quality and reputable products and I know they have severed ties with other companies in the past over much less.

We have a b2b on the Star out of Copenhagen (paired with transatlantic) in Sept 2016. Both will be cancelled. I also booked with the big box "C" and never got a letter or anything. If it wasn't for Cruse Critic, I would have never known about all this.

After patiently waiting for some kind of email notification that never showed, I finally called Big Box "C" on Friday (Aug 14) and the rep was totally clueless. She put me on hold for a long time and when she came back, she said the person who handles "travel agent letters" was off on Friday, I should hear something by 5 pm Monday. If not, I should call them back. Whaaattt???? I am so disappointed in the way Big Box "C" has handled my booking. Have always been a huge fan but they've dropped the ball on this as far as I'm concerned.

Bracing for next week (along with everyone else!!) Good luck all.

Edited by Sundiego

We have a b2b on the Star out of Copenhagen (paired with transatlantic) in Sept 2016. Both will be cancelled. I also booked with the big box "C" and never got a letter or anything. If it wasn't for Cruse Critic, I would have never known about all this.

After patiently waiting for some kind of email notification that never showed, I finally called Big Box "C" on Friday (Aug 14) and the rep was totally clueless. She put me on hold for a long time and when she came back, she said the person who handles "travel agent letters" was off on Friday, I should hear something by 5 pm Monday. If not, I should call them back. Whaaattt???? I am so disappointed in the way Big Box "C" has handled my booking. Have always been a huge fan but they've dropped the ball on this as far as I'm concerned.

Bracing for next week (along with everyone else!!) Good luck all.

Sorry about that. Perhaps you can search your email. mine was from, donotreply@c.....travel.com and titled, important notice about your cruise. if you know it was canceled I would call C.....in the am. The number they gave me was the same as on their website. I got the email on the 5th.

My concern is if ta will ask to move this up a chain or just call NCL, come back on line and say NCL said nothing can be done. Also how will we be able to see what the alternative cruises are?

Edited by littlelulu01

Sorry about that. Perhaps you can search your email. mine was from, donotreply@c.....travel.com and titled, important notice about your cruise. if you know it was canceled I would call C.....in the am. The number they gave me was the same as on their website. I got the email on the 5th.

My concern is if ta will ask to move this up a chain or just call NCL, come back on line and say NCL said nothing can be done. Also how will we be able to see what the alternative cruises are?

Thanks... I didn't get an email. I do have some from the address you mentioned, but that was regarding the increase to DSC. We have 3 different NCL cruises on the books right now and I got 3 separate emails regarding that. Fortunately we're pretty flexible and we used future cruise credits as deposits, so we're in a position to just roll with whatever. Honestly, I'm more frustrated with the BIG BOX than with NCL. They've always been pretty professional but this time, not so much.

I did get through to big box c and they did get through to NCL displacement department. It's exactly what I feared would happen today. The displacement department told ta that they are not set up to book on new itineraries and to call back on the 24th!!

Good news but this is not confirmed; displacement department did say I would probably be price protected if I switch from Epic 11 night med to Spirit 10 or 11 night med in November or December, 2016. my canceled date was December, 2016 and price protection offer that was emailed was to cruise now.

I put the new itineraries on the other thread but the spirit will sail November 17 from Barcelona, November 28 from Venice and December 9th from Istanbul.

Good luck to all. Kim