Cancelled cruises announcement - Epic, Jade, Spirit, Star, Sun

noche_caliente

I called my TA today and my booking was moved to the exact same date dec 4 2016 on the NCL Jade. I am happy as I was moved into a better CAT because my cabin CAT didn't exist on the Jade. I went from SJ family suite to SF on the jade and was moved into a aft penthouse with large balcony. Port charges are the only thing that change and my TA was going to talk to NCL about this. NCL also threw in a extra $100 obc.

Edited by shout19661966

Thanks... I didn't get an email. I do have some from the address you mentioned, but that was regarding the increase to DSC. We have 3 different NCL cruises on the books right now and I got 3 separate emails regarding that. Fortunately we're pretty flexible and we used future cruise credits as deposits, so we're in a position to just roll with whatever. Honestly, I'm more frustrated with the BIG BOX than with NCL. They've always been pretty professional but this time, not so much.

I agree with the frustration over big box c. I've also never had past problems and they always beat prices by a mile. Their new setup is to give obc vs reduce price. Not really worth a couple hundred $ of obc to deal with such hassle. Their only other bonus is that you can insurance for cruise for much less and a better policy, which I actually ended up needing to use on Recent Europe cruise and was thankful I had. But all these people who bought with NCL direct seem to be in a MUCH better position in this case because they can deal directly with NCL vs all this lost in translation with third party big box c when trying to make changes.

They are not there because they are not available to the general public till next Monday. who did you book thru.

Booked through a travel agent. If not available, how on earth can you examine the new itineraries so as to chose the right cruise?:confused::mad:

Booked through a travel agent. If not available, how on earth can you examine the new itineraries so as to chose the right cruise?:confused::mad:

for me it was easy because my exact cruise was replaced by the NCL Jade. Also I had booked such a great deal in the first place wasn't going to let it get away. you must call your travel agent who in turn will call NCL for you.

Edited by shout19661966

When I spoke w/NCL, she said the new itineraries will be out by Wed at the latest & we (people who had cruises cancelled) would get "first crack" at them. Said to "keep checking," as they may come out today or tomorrow. Rest of public can look at, but supposedly not be able to book until the 24th.

Glad u got the Jade at a better deal. We had a BTB on the Epic (10 day and an 11 day) & the only thing available today was a 10 day (same itinerary) and a 12 day (added Valencia, Spain to the 11 day we had booked) and NCL refused to transfer, even after I offered to pay for the extra day. VERY disappointed in NCL.

Keep us posted! Thanx! Joe

So I called exactly at 9 am and waited 27 minutes to talk to agent. We spent 37 minutes on the phone. she could not switch me to 12 day cruise on dae at same time as original Epic cruise. So i went with the same cruise 9 months earlier than I wanted in February. The cruise confirmation showed a $45 increased cost of cruise in taxes and cruise costs. Now I have been on the phone 26 minutes and still waiting to talk to "special group".

3 hours on the phone to finally hear, no price protection and no package protection. Apparently there will not be many Caribbean choices in Oct/Nov of 2016. Every cruise I looked at came in $900 higher than what I had originally booked. Huge let down, very disappointed in NCL!@!!! :mad:

Where are all the people today who have been posting things such as, all cruise lines do this, what's the big deal, this happens all the time, you booked a year in advance what did you expect? ........

Please someone who posted one of those statements let me know which cruise line that was. There was not another line who did this. How can anyone defend this lack of customer care.

Which cruise line redeployed 1/3 of their fleet, continued to sell those canceled cruises till the day prior to canceling, offered many booked passengers only the chance to move their cruise up a year for price protect, promised them if they called on the 17th that they could book one of the replacement cruises before on the 24th of August when sold to general public, and now they can pay twice as much for about the same cruise as they just bought it for a few weeks ago. Oh sorry forgot they also promised the $50/100obc if you decide to pay twice as much for basically the same cruise they sold you.

I am more than fed up with NCL at this point. I actually cant even get my $1500 back today for the cruise they just sold me then canceled the next day. I still just don't get how a company thinks it's ok to do that and then turn around and tell the customer they can still go on the cruise if they pay twice as much on the different ship.

The only success stories I have seen are those who were given a reasonable offer to begin with.

My hopeful, kind of maybe, offer this morning was certainly no promise and I'm sure just said to get the next caller.

This whole thing really upsets me. I have not been taken advantage of and treated like this by a company in my life.

The only success stories I have seen are those who were given a reasonable offer to begin with.

This is exactly right! We weren't offered a reasonable alternative and when I called (after 3 hours) there was still nothing reasonable presented, yet it seems like others who had gotten reasonable offers were all ok. Doesn't seem quite fair. I will try back again later in the week but I'm no longer holding my breath. My faith in NCL is now zilch.

Sorry to bust the bubble of negativity in here, but I was also on one of the cancelled sailings. If you READ what was in the email, you could move to a designated cruise, and THAT was what provided the price protection. If you cancelled and re-booked, you have zero price protection as NCL is not liable for it. I was able to switch to Jade (when I was on Star), AND they upgraded me.

And I have also had this happen on Holland America too, when they shuffled the vista class around for charters (Westerdam went out for a smooth jazz charter and Zuiderdam went out for a blues charter). HAL offered me squat, but that was what I expected, as I couldn't re-book when they felt I should.

Edited by UPNYGuy

Sorry to bust the bubble of negativity in here, but I was also on one of the cancelled sailings. If you READ what was in the email, you could move to a designated cruise, and THAT was what provided the price protection. If you cancelled and re-booked, you have zero price protection as NCL is not liable for it. I was able to switch to Jade (when I was on Star), AND they upgraded me.

And I have also had this happen on Holland America too, when they shuffled the vista class around for charters (Westerdam went out for a smooth jazz charter and Zuiderdam went out for a blues charter). HAL offered me squat, but that was what I expected, as I couldn't re-book when they felt I should.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but people here have every right to be negative and unhappy with the offers they've received from NCL, the customer service backlog, and the inability of customer service agents to make any changes because the system changes were not yet completed.

And I believe that they are perfectly capable of reading AND understanding what was written in their letters. The problem is that what was written in the letters was not an offer that is typical with what the market generally offers and demonstrated that NCL cares less about their customers than other lines in their peer group.

I can't even get NCL to answer their "dedicated" number:

I am a school teacher, and this is our first week back to school, so I am in meetings all day - NCL "special" line is only available from 9am to 4pm EST. I can't just "skip" these mandatory meetings to try to call.

First try: On hold 25 minutes and NCL DROPS the call.

Second try: On hold 25 minutes and NCL DROPS the call.

Third Try: On hold 58 minutes and NCL DROPS the call.

This try (and yes, I know the office is officially closed, but I am hoping they will still pick up since I was on hold before they officially closed).... I have been on hold for 30 minutes....

I tried going through the regular 800 number and they cant do anything...

My cruise is the Feb 2017 Pearl that Star Wars Group has decided to take over and take to Western Carribean

I am beyond upset at the moment.....

Edited by Imalismom

Well I am glad you got a reasonable offer, I was already booked on the jade western Carb. out of Houston and my offer was to sail a year earlier or $50, that's it. I'm already sailing This fall, so I certainly can't swing 2 cruises in the same season. It wasn't a reasonable offer.

Why are we not able to stay on the Jade and just sail the same itinerary and dates on the Jade out of Tampa? Why move passengers from the Star to Jade and not Jade to Jade. They won't even allow me to find out the price difference, they told me it wasn't available. I am not sure how that is fair? I think if you weren't already booked on the Star and sitting in my shoes you might have a little more compassion.

We tend to book 18 months in advance and were looking at doing a B2B from Barcelona in early 2017 but were waiting to see if we could get a cruise Europe to North America direct via Iceland. :)

We are very pleased we held off booking otherwise we would have been in the same boat as a lot of you; sorry for the pun!! We have the added downside that we are from New Zealand and cannot make easy travel changes. :(

We feel for all of you and "There for the ......".

We would be very interested to hear from those who are fully bumped just how you are repaid the deposits and how long it takes.

Mike & Pauline

Poms by Birth, Kiwis by Choice.

Well I am glad you got a reasonable offer, I was already booked on the jade western Carb. out of Houston and my offer was to sail a year earlier or $50, that's it. I'm already sailing This fall, so I certainly can't swing 2 cruises in the same season. It wasn't a reasonable offer.

Why are we not able to stay on the Jade and just sail the same itinerary and dates on the Jade out of Tampa? Why move passengers from the Star to Jade and not Jade to Jade. They won't even allow me to find out the price difference, they told me it wasn't available. I am not sure how that is fair? I think if you weren't already booked on the Star and sitting in my shoes you might have a little more compassion.

This is exactly what happened to us!!! The offers that they have given to those who were originally on the Jade are completely unreasonable, and not comparable to the offers that others have received in my opinion. I will be very curious to see what the new prices on the Jade look like too. I am beginning to feel like NCl thinks that those of us that were on the Jade and booked during the promotions had too good of a deal and now they are taking this opportunity to change it on us.

Edited by Kortehgehn

Thats a win win situation for ncl...they try to push people for earlier dates filling the ships thus rasing fares for the rest of the passengers...and if you cannot go earlier and cancel they give you your money back the money that they had so long on their bank account saving from interest and other investment options millions!!!That was a very clever move from ncl and any company would do the same...i have to tell you their revenue department rocks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nothing is mentioned of the Houston and New Orleans ports. I wonder if they are being abandoned or if the Star and Jade are being replaced. Anyone have info on this?

Houston news just said NCL is leaving the Houston port - along with princess also leaving

This is exactly what happened to us!!! The offers that they have given to those who were originally on the Jade are completely unreasonable, and not comparable to the offers that others have received in my opinion. I will be very curious to see what the new prices on the Jade look like too. I am beginning to feel like NCl thinks that those of us that were on the Jade and booked during the promotions had too good of a deal and now they are taking this opportunity to change it on us.

I think you are right, we got Punk'd by NCL!

I'm thinking you're probably right. Not that it will get you that wonderful cruise that you purchased from NCL or a valid alternative, which is what I was so hoping would be the case, but if NCL has violated Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA) they should be held accountable.

Sure there are many cruises where people were treated fairly in this redeployment but your cruise, and the Epic med cruises seem to be the exception.

Florida law supersedes NCL's cruise ticket contract. In some cases here it would be very easy to prove this has occurred.

Especially those who purchased a cruise just prior to NCL canceling. It validates the fact that NCL had no intention of offering the cruise when the consumer purchased it the day before it was canceled.

Offering to switch that person to the similar cruise on a different ship for more than twice the cost further validates bait and switch. The alternative offer to cruise a year earlier is not a valid alternative especially when NCL is offering a similar new cruise but disallowing displaced consumer to book with protection.

Those on these boards who say it happens all the time are wrong. There is not another line that sold cruises up until the day prior to canceling the cruises, while announcing new cruises, canceling the cruise, making the consumer wait so long before they can talk to the company, then trying to sell the consumer the replacement similar cruise on a different ship for double the price.

I think filing a complaint with the Florida attorney general is valid in many cases and because so many thousands have been negativity impacted by this redeployment, the more that file a complaint against NCL, the more the attorney general will realize the scope of the deception.

Bait and switch pure and simple to sell product today and take money, tell customers tomorrow that product purchased is no longer available. Keep consumer $ , and then say you can have the same or almost the same product but now it costs more than we sold it to you for.

Sorry but the cruise ticket contract does not cover this.

I'm thinking you're probably right. Not that it will get you that wonderful cruise that you purchased from NCL or a valid alternative, which is what I was so hoping would be the case, but if NCL has violated Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA) they should be held accountable.

Sure there are many cruises where people were treated fairly in this redeployment but your cruise, and the Epic med cruises seem to be the exception.

Florida law supersedes NCL's cruise ticket contract. In some cases here it would be very easy to prove this has occurred.

Especially those who purchased a cruise just prior to NCL canceling. It validates the fact that NCL had no intention of offering the cruise when the consumer purchased it the day before it was canceled.

Offering to switch that person to the similar cruise on a different ship for more than twice the cost further validates bait and switch. The alternative offer to cruise a year earlier is not a valid alternative especially when NCL is offering a similar new cruise but disallowing displaced consumer to book with protection.

Those on these boards who say it happens all the time are wrong. There is not another line that sold cruises up until the day prior to canceling the cruises, while announcing new cruises, canceling the cruise, making the consumer wait so long before they can talk to the company, then trying to sell the consumer the replacement similar cruise on a different ship for double the price.

I think filing a complaint with the Florida attorney general is valid in many cases and because so many thousands have been negativity impacted by this redeployment, the more that file a complaint against NCL, the more the attorney general will realize the scope of the deception.

Bait and switch pure and simple to sell product today and take money, tell customers tomorrow that product purchased is no longer available. Keep consumer $ , and then say you can have the same or almost the same product but now it costs more than we sold it to you for.

Sorry but the cruise ticket contract does not cover this.

Great idea, here is the link.

http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/WF/MRAY-8KMFXT/$file/ConsumerComplaint.pdf