Cancelled cruises announcement - Epic, Jade, Spirit, Star, Sun

noche_caliente

I don't necessarily think that more regulation is needed but I do know a airline passenger is afforded way more protections. If they cancel your flight home due to mechanical problems with the aircraft they are on the hook and obligated to get you home, put you up, give you meal vouchers... And I've always received a nice loyalty bonus in addition.

Let's say my flight from SEA to OGG is canceled. My airline is still flying to Maui but they now need to go from Seattle to Portland and Portland to Maui. The airline simply puts me on the new flight, emails the changes and asks me to call them if the new flight is unacceptable. They can't tell me here's your money back, you can now only go to maui if you travel a year early. If you still want to fly to maui on the dates you purchased you'll need to pay our new rate and sorry its now thousands more. There's laws protecting me against this sort of thing.

NCL just redeployed a third of their fleet. In my case they will still be sailing the Mediterranean year round, just on a different ship and i think its going to be a 12 day cruise vs an 11 day. I have zero rights to demand they honor the cruise they just sold me on their new ship, or any number of their med itineraries. I have zero rights to get ANYTHING except my $ back. Not the case with the regulated airline.

The only industry saving grace for lack of regulation so far is that other lines ARE taking care of passengers. The other lines don't say, here's $50 if you cruise a year early. Otherwise do what you want, we don't care. We can sell your stateroom for a heck of a lot more now and we don't have to give your replacement any of the perks we gave you.

+like :)

I can tell you first hand that I book airfare 355 days in advance on British Airways. I can also tell you that during the course of the year prior to my flight, British Airways will typically cancel a flight, redeploy planes, and even change the time of my originally booked flight but they absolutely can not tell me that I will have to fly a year early or pay more than the flight they canceled.

They have to put me on their new flight, regardless of how much they may now be charging. It may be new times and occasionally a day earlier or later but they still honor the original fare. This happens all the time with fares booked far in advance. I still get to travel on their planes with Avios vs. cash and the only way I can do this is to book in advance. I book all of my long haul airfare that way. It is the only way I can travel first class and I grab those seats on the exact day they are available because I am competing with tons of others who also book travel in advance.

So perhaps many do not book travel in advance but those who want to travel for less sure do. They also book cruised in advance for the same reasons. Lower fares, better choices and better perks. The cruise lines reward early bookings and encourage it.

+ like this too...:)

Not to beat a dead horse but I decided I may try NCL so booked Jade Jan 2017. Now I can price protect on sailings from Nov 2015 to Feb2016. Over a year away? doesn't seem right. Don't know why they can't price protect for a similar sailing (same ports, same year...even same ship but different departure port).

Am I correct in my understanding that come the 17th we won't actually be able to see the new itineraries online? Makes it difficult to choose a sailing to switch to without seeing all the options and pricing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No one knows if you will be able to view pricing online on the 17th. The new itineraries are only bookable the 17th-24th for those who have cruises canceled. Since not bookable to the general public it is plausible you won't be able to view pricing, dates and itineraries online and will need to call TA if booked thru one, they can call NCL, then go back and forth. I am hoping this is not the case and we can view online. The only information we have is to call on the 17th.

And no it doesn't seem right but is within the realm of what any cruise line can do. Most will offer a valid alternative date however on the epic med its go a year early or pay the new price and lose perks. They really don't need to give you the $50 obc either. They are offering that to show how much they care about you as a customer.

Nothing is mentioned of the Houston and New Orleans ports. I wonder if they are being abandoned or if the Star and Jade are being replaced. Anyone have info on this?

Less than three years after Port of Houston commissioners authorized millions of dollars in incentives to lure a pair of cruise lines to its long-empty Bayport Cruise Terminal, the two operators have decided to move on and leave the loading docks deserted again.

We paid Norwegian and Princess $6.7 Million for a 2 year contract, which will expire at the end of the 2015 cruise season.

Our commissioners threw good money after bad, as they built a cruise terminal at the container port with no cruise ship companies giving so much as a mild nod that they would be interested in using another cruise terminal.

Bye ships - Anybody wanna buy an empty terminal?:confused:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/As-cruise-lines-drop-Bayport-terminal-faces-6432123.php

I know this is far out but I see from the NCL "Publicity" document that the Star is going to be sailing in the Asia region in 2017. :cool:

If anyone gets any information about the costs before they appear on the NCL website, that is when the bookings for those with cancellations starts, would you please put any details on this board.

The dates and ports are in the "Publicity" document and we want to "Be in Like a Robber's Dog". :D :)

Thank you

Mike & Pauline

Poms by Birth; Kiwis by Choice; Cruisers to Spend the Children's Inheritance!!

Edited by casofilia
Spelling error

Less than three years after Port of Houston commissioners authorized millions of dollars in incentives to lure a pair of cruise lines to its long-empty Bayport Cruise Terminal, the two operators have decided to move on and leave the loading docks deserted again.

We paid Norwegian and Princess $6.7 Million for a 2 year contract, which will expire at the end of the 2015 cruise season.

Our commissioners threw good money after bad, as they built a cruise terminal at the container port with no cruise ship companies giving so much as a mild nod that they would be interested in using another cruise terminal.

Bye ships - Anybody wanna buy an empty terminal?:confused:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/As-cruise-lines-drop-Bayport-terminal-faces-6432123.php

I guess "build it and they will come" doesn't last. LOL. But seriously, politicians have no problem throwing around taxpayers money.

I am even more bummed now. I was just checking out some options for Monday and doing mock bookings when I realized its kSF or UBP. When I booked in Jan. it was KSF and UBP. That makes a huge difference in the scheme of things. If those options weren't available I would have booked my first choice Oasis. Now it's like they pulled the rug out from under us. Bam, now not only can I not afford my first choice, I can't afford my second choice either since all lines have gone up since Jan. And by the way we are gonna let you sweat it out for two weeks before we let you resolve anything. I'll be glad when Monday finally gets here, I will either have something else booked( I don't know what exactly because they won't give us the options) or I will have lost a quarter of my deposit to my TA.

Edited by Sotermarler

I am even more bummed now. I was just checking out some options for Monday and doing mock bookings when I realized its kSF or UBP. When I booked in Jan. it was KSF and UBP. That makes a huge difference in the scheme of things. If those options weren't available I would have booked my first choice Oasis. Now it's like they pulled the rug out from under us. Bam, now not only can I not afford my first choice, I can't afford my second choice either since all lines have gone up since Jan. And by the way we are gonna let you sweat it out for two weeks before we let you resolve anything. I'll be glad when Monday finally gets here, I will either have something else booked( I don't know what exactly because they won't give us the options) or I will have lost a quarter of my deposit to my TA.

If your TA keeps 1/4 of your deposit because NCL cancelled, then you need a new TA!:eek:

My TA didn't keep any money because it wasn't me that cancelled, and they would normally keep their commission if I were to cancel. Have you double checked that your TA will keep part of your deposit?

Yep, it's a big box and non-refundable fee. I can transfer to a different line or I else I will lose the money. It may be nominal to some but we are on budget. It just helps run the salt into the wound a bit more.

Yep, it's a big box and non-refundable fee. I can transfer to a different line or I else I will lose the money. It may be nominal to some but we are on budget. It just helps run the salt into the wound a bit more.

What if you do nothing. My letter said if NCL does not hear from us by the 24th they will cancel our cruise and refund the money. My TA is also a big box, starts with a C..... and they will not be charging us any money. My TA said they will have extra staff on hand come the 17th to try and deal with the mess. I am pacific time and so are they. I plan on calling my ta at 5am in hopes of having some luck. Who even knows if my big box will be using NCL after this debacle. They pride themselves on providing quality and reputable products and I know they have severed ties with other companies in the past over much less.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that it's is a "nominal" amount. More that if your TA keeps part of the deposit you paid to them for something they are now unable to provide then you need to be looking elsewhere in future.

Considering your legal options would also seem appropriate.

What if you do nothing. My letter said if NCL does not hear from us by the 24th they will cancel our cruise and refund the money. My TA is also a big box, starts with a C..... and they will not be charging us any money. My TA said they will have extra staff on hand come the 17th to try and deal with the mess. I am pacific time and so are they. I plan on calling my ta at 5am in hopes of having some luck. Who even knows if my big box will be using NCL after this debacle. They pride themselves on providing quality and reputable products and I know they have severed ties with other companies in the past over much less.

That's a good point. I read the fine print of my contract stating fees were non refundable, but they are the ones who sent me the NCL cancellation email letter and put their names at the top. So you are right the letter says the deposit will be refunded if I do nothing. I may have a leg to stand on.

That's a good point. I read the fine print of my contract stating fees were non refundable, but they are the ones who sent me the NCL cancellation email letter and put their names at the top. So you are right the letter says the deposit will be refunded if I do nothing. I may have a leg to stand on.

In defense of these big box ta's; they are booking a huge amount of cruises for many lines. They rarely deal with cancelations on behalf of cruise lines and no one in the cruise industry has dealt with canceled cruises on this scale.

Mine was confused over what to do the first time I called but when I called back they were very aware of the situation because they've been fielding constant calls from upset customers.

Given the situation, c..... Will be charging zero for cancelations or rebooking, and if you're booked with any big box Like them they'll probably have as many people on staff as possible on the 17th to help customers out. Problem will be if their NCL contacts are slammed then they have to wait, which in turn will increase your wait. I ran into this the other day. My ta got right on the line but I still had to hold for about 45 minutes until they could get ahold of someone at NCL.

The phone lines for the number on the letter were open today and I was able to transfer my booking with no wait and no problems.

Did they move any of the promos you had to the new cruise as well? A couple of you have rebooked, so I was wondering if the choices were good and if you thought you were treated OK?

Did they move any of the promos you had to the new cruise as well? A couple of you have rebooked, so I was wondering if the choices were good and if you thought you were treated OK?

Yes, I got to keep all 4 promotions.☺ I was offered a SE category on the Jade and the price went down.😀

Yes, I got to keep all 4 promotions.☺ I was offered a SE category on the Jade and the price went down.😀

Thanks for the update! I've read so many different takes on the rebookings that I was worried NCL was being really inconsiderate. I'm glad it worked out for you and that they had an alternative that was acceptable!

Thanks for the update! I've read so many different takes on the rebookings that I was worried NCL was being really inconsiderate. I'm glad it worked out for you and that they had an alternative that was acceptable!

I was a little worried too thinking I would not been able to keep all the promotions, but it all worked out. Also I was happy that I got to do it today and not on Monday as I probably would of been on the phone forever.😠

Not really for me.

I had a cruise cancelled. I was offered the option to re-book the cruise a year earlier than the original cruise and I would get the same perks and rate. I already had another cruise booked so not really a possible option; I also booked (the canceled cruise) really early to get the good rate which is what NCL had to offer if you booked early.

So, not offered a good alternative. I think has been a very common situation so not really treated OK.

Edited by Cruisercl

The one cruise we were offered as a direct move-over with fare & amenities protected happened to work out for us.

I agree with cruisercl that NCL was overly stingy with move-over options and I know that many people were not offered what they would consider a comparable cruise. If I were in that situation then I would be upset too.

Since we were OK with the one cruise we were offered, we are happy. The re-booking process was quick and painless. We were also lucky that our new cruise was loaded into the system early and we were able to accomplish the change before the hordes that will be calling on the 17th. All we had to do was select a cabin in the category that was offered to us (which happened to be a higher category than what we had since our previous category doesn't exist on the new ship). The computer took care of re-jiggering the fares to match our previous total, adjusting for 50% off 3d person on the new ship vs. free 3d person on the old ship - still the same total. A new amenities confirmation was also created that mirrors the one we had before. It all went very smoothly.

We're you offered the jade as a move over option on your letter or was it just one you picked? I was originally on the Jade westrn carribean out of TX but it was canceled. I'd like to just move to Tampa and do the Jade, but it was not an option.