Cancelled cruises announcement - Epic, Jade, Spirit, Star, Sun

noche_caliente

Mine was notified yesterday. She sent me a cc of the email from NCL. Can't imagine other TAs weren't notified.

Reasonable assumption. My TA is the big box TA that starts with a C..... They are a pretty big TA and reputable company. I logged into my C..... Account today and I'm showing booked, same on NCL. Not in a panic over not being notified as someone posted their offer for my canceled cruise here so at least I know my options. I could be wrong but I'm guessing a lot of people use my TA.

After reading many of your post, I believe Norwegian has accounted for loss of revenue from those who will be cancelling their cruise because of the inability to find a suitable cruise, and the loss of booking amenities (UDP, and etc) if changing to an unprotected cruise. The loss of the booking amenities is already money in the pocket of Norwegian, no out lay of service or product.

The initial loss of revenue from cancelled bookings will be covered by the exceptional high cost of Asian cruises. When Royal and Princess sent their ships to China and surrounding area the average cost of the cruise increased by 50 to 75%. The Asian Market never blinked. There is an exceptional amount of disposable income in the east, which has disappeared in the American and European markets. Additionally, Royal redesigned their ships at considerable cost so that the ships would appeal to the Asian Market (long term planning).

Many customers have booked cruises for a certain time frame for many personal reason, availability of time off, availability of other family members, and other required needs. Norwegian has accepted that most cruisers will roll over and accept their terms, because other cruise lines cost have good up since the Norwegian booking, and lack of similar original booking amenities offered by Norwegian. If they lose money from cancelled bookings, the Asian Market will offer a substantial profitability to recover the loss.

If they offend current customers enough that they leave and go to another cruise line, the Asian Market will offset any potential losses.

Ask your self does Norwegian really care about me as a customer? Only you can answer that question. Remember most of the recent changes in Norwegian have been made for the sole purpose of improving the cruising experience! Has your experience improved?

I hate to say it, Norwegian is just a business, not your best friend or partner. They will make a profit no matter how many customers they make angry or irritate . All they want to do is separate you from your money, and provide something resembling a bare minimum vacation as provided by in their one sided contract.

Edited by ltjn

It's kind of shocking that they didn't notify the travel agents. Ours didn't know either, but she got right on it when we told her.

My TA is a big box with a P. the NCL rep told her that the big box was notified, I guess it just hasn't tricked down to all the reps yet. I am guessing our letter will come from the TA then.

Carnival has a similar cruise out of TX on the Freedom as the Jade we were booked on, less price but no KSF or UbP. Trying to decide if I want to put a deposit down on it now, before everyone jumps ship on the 17th. Anyone book anything else already?

A friend that is a TA that I work with has been saying lately that NCL is not now a good company and asks me currently if I am sure I want to book with them. Now I know why, she saw it coming. I will not be re-booking a cruise that was cancelled.

Unfortunately the shuffle and cancellations of all of these cruises hugely affects the TAs too; not a good working relationship with NCL. I am very happy that they are moving into the Asian market but not doing well by their previous customers does not bode well.

I can't imagine any TA recommending the NCL product at the price they want and the product they may or may not supply. You can't charge for first class and get coach and expect repeat business. JMHO.

Safe cruising all.......:)

Edited by Cruisercl

My TA is a big box with a P. the NCL rep told her that the big box was notified, I guess it just hasn't tricked down to all the reps yet. I am guessing our letter will come from the TA then.

Carnival has a similar cruise out of TX on the Freedom as the Jade we were booked on, less price but no KSF or UbP. Trying to decide if I want to put a deposit down on it now, before everyone jumps ship on the 17th. Anyone book anything else already?

I'm looking at Carnival Breeze and Freedom out of Galveston as well, and am also thinking it might be wise to book something soon... I'm pretty confident I'll be doing so in the next few days. My TA tells me that NCL will not be sending another ship to the area, so I would think there may be quite a few NCL castaways looking to jump ship, which could cause decreased availability and increased fares amongst other lines still active in Galveston. I've heard some negative things about Carnival before, but I am at a point now where I'm willing to take my chances with them. It seems the only way I can still get an itinerary close to what we were seeking at anything close to the price I thought I secured with NCL. Freedom actually has some pretty solid reviews, and I can't imagine a worse experience than I've already had just attempting to sail with NCL.

After reading many of your post, I believe Norwegian has accounted for loss of revenue from those who will be cancelling their cruise because of the inability to find a suitable cruise, and the loss of booking amenities (UDP, and etc) if changing to an unprotected cruise. The loss of the booking amenities is already money in the pocket of Norwegian, no out lay of service or product.

The initial loss of revenue from cancelled bookings will be covered by the exceptional high cost of Asian cruises. When Royal and Princess sent their ships to China and surrounding area the average cost of the cruise increased by 50 to 75%. The Asian Market never blinked. There is an exceptional amount of disposable income in the east, which has disappeared in the American and European markets. Additionally, Royal redesigned their ships at considerable cost so that the ships would appeal to the Asian Market (long term planning).

Many customers have booked cruises for a certain time frame for many personal reason, availability of time off, availability of other family members, and other required needs. Norwegian has accepted that most cruisers will roll over and accept their terms, because other cruise lines cost have good up since the Norwegian booking, and lack of similar original booking amenities offered by Norwegian. If they lose money from cancelled bookings, the Asian Market will offer a substantial profitability to recover the loss.

If they offend current customers enough that they leave and go to another cruise line, the Asian Market will offset any potential losses.

Ask your self does Norwegian really care about me as a customer? Only you can answer that question. Remember most of the recent changes in Norwegian have been made for the sole purpose of improving the cruising experience! Has your experience improved?

I hate to say it, Norwegian is just a business, not your best friend or partner. They will make a profit no matter how many customers they make angry or irritate . All they want to do is separate you from your money, and provide something resembling a bare minimum vacation as provided by in their one sided contract.

Very good points. I would have to say my recent jade b2b in May was one of the best. The UBP, UDP, OBC and at a very fair price. I didn't want to leave the ship. I want to sail again so scoured for a deal. Was just ecstatic to book an 11 night H9, all in with taxes and port fees for two for $4700! That included DSC, $250 obc, 250 Internet, SDP for 5 nights and UBP. Room comes with spa privileges as well as haven privileges. I won't find that deal on another sailing. In fact NCL knew the day they sold me the cruise that I would not actually be getting it because the next day they canceled the cruise.

I totally get that changes happen and they need to look at the bottom line but I really don't think many companies can sell you something one day and take $1500 from you, and 24 hours later announce to everyone except you that they canceled the cruise. All the while keeping your $1500 and pretending you still have this awesome cruise booked. MyNCL account currently gives me the option to even purchase extra goodies for my upcoming canceled vacation, which according to them is not canceled. If this occurred with a different business they would be sending me at least an apology email and trying to keep my business by giving me a comparable offer. I'm starting to think the comparable offer won't be coming and the whole thing was a ploy to borrow my $1500 for a while. If they did the same to a few thousand others that adds up to a chunk of change. I hope I'm wrong and I still get to take a wonderful cruise next year. If NCL makes it right ill be the first to report how they really do care about keeping customers happy.

I got a laugh when the $1500 charge went from pending to posted today. No I won't be out any $ in the end, don't have airfare purchased and yes I'll find another cruise even if it is not a killer deal but I sure hope I can get a similar deal to the one they sold me and for the approx time I want to cruise vs a year prior. reputable companies make it right when they make a mistake or a change that negatively affects customers that have paid for a product, even if they take a loss on it.

Edited by littlelulu01

A friend that is a TA that I work with has been saying lately that NCL is not now a good company and asks me currently if I am sure I want to book with them. Now I know why, she saw it coming. I will not be re-booking a cruise that was cancelled.

Unfortunately the shuffle and cancellations of all of these cruises hugely affects the TAs too; not a good working relationship with NCL. I am very happy that they are moving into the Asian market but not doing well by their previous customers does not bode well.

I can't imagine any TA recommending the NCL product at the price they want and the product they may or may not supply. You can't charge for first class and get coach and expect repeat business. JMHO.

Safe cruising all.......:)

Well put, but remember TAs are business people too.

We talked with Norwegian today and they did make it all good as promised. We have the same room and perks - along with a discount. The only problem is having to finish paying the remainder sooner - by the middle of next month. So now we sail this December.

We talked with Norwegian today and they did make it all good as promised. We have the same room and perks - along with a discount. The only problem is having to finish paying the remainder sooner - by the middle of next month. So now we sail this December.

So are you a year earlier? They agreed the same for us if we went this Christmas but we can't.

So are you a year earlier? They agreed the same for us if we went this Christmas but we can't.

Yes, we're a year earlier. My hubby is a little panicy now, and his dad and step mom can't go along this year. Having his dad along was a big part of why he agreed to go, so I'm not sure how he'll handle this yet.

(Jeanus1 is my mom. We both got the same rooms and perks.)

Edited by Chemlady

Yes, we're a year earlier. My hubby is a little panicy now, and his dad and step mom can't go along this year. Having his dad along was a big part of why he agreed to go, so I'm not sure how he'll handle this yet.

(Jeanus1 is my mom. We both got the same rooms and perks.)

Remind John that he'll still have Bob.

Well everyone is so unhappy that I hate to say it, but I am thrilled that my cruise will be canceled (haven't gotten the good new yet:p)

I scheduled an Epic cruise to the Carnary Islands last year for March 2017 forgetting that March is an impossible month for me to be away from work. So I have been waiting for the rest of 2017 to fill in so I could reschedule dreading that I might have to pay a change fee with my TA. Now NCL has done the changing for me!

We just toured Asia on Celebrity because NCL did not have any ships there and now looking at the new ports of call, I think we may be returning sooner than later. All of the new itineraries look great.

I sincerely feel bad for those that got canceled who were looking forward to their particular cruises, but I had to put in a different perspective.

I hope that they fill in all of the 2017 dates with the new cruise announcements and that they don't wait until the end of the year to tell us where they will be.

I don't even know how they can consider sailing one year in advance an option? Ridiculous! We are already booked to said Nov 2015.

I agree! Is there any way NCL will change their minds by next Monday to allow us to at least keep our perks if we rebook? Am I being naïve here? We just booked last week for the 3/22/17 Epic Med cruise and were super excited. The price for 11 nights was incredible! If they're keep the itinerary, why can't they just put us on the Spirit now and keep the price and perks the same? Why did they let me reserve this cruise if they were going to cancel it the next week? This is really crazy. There is no reason to release cruises that far out if they're strictly fictitious!

I guess I'm fairly lucky. I was booked on Star (my first trip back to NCL in years). I can move my booking to Jade and get price protection. Since they won't open bookings on Jade to the general public until after the 24th, I'm hopeful I can easily switch to the same cabin on Jade on the 17th.

But I must say, since I booked this cruise, there have been an awful lot of changes. Not ready to throw in the towel yet, but I'll be keeping a close eye on things.

How have you managed to make a change before the 17th August which many of us have been told we have to wait until before we can make any changes to keep all our promos and price?

I agree! Is there any way NCL will change their minds by next Monday to allow us to at least keep our perks if we rebook? Am I being naïve here? We just booked last week for the 3/22/17 Epic Med cruise and were super excited. The price for 11 nights was incredible! If they're keep the itinerary, why can't they just put us on the Spirit now and keep the price and perks the same? Why did they let me reserve this cruise if they were going to cancel it the next week? This is really crazy. There is no reason to release cruises that far out if they're strictly fictitious!

I can't agree more!! I think the Spirit is going to be 12 nights. The Epic was 11 nights. I finally got my cancelation email today with the only price protection option being sail one year early. That's an offer that so very few would be able to take them up on and quite frankly a ridiculous only option.

Have you looked at the cabin availability? I have and it does not look good. There are exactly three cruise dates that have the 11 night sailing. We can also book the 10 night sailing and there are 7 dates available to price protect. For my stateroom category there is one date available with a couple cabins in my category and who knows what will be left once everyone gets switched. I mean a couple cabins for all of the H-9 cabins that were canceled? There is no way I'll get one of them even if I could move my cruise up a year. It's pretty much an impossible offer.

I am just really hoping the email sent out for the Epic sailings was either a bad joke or a miscommunication. It would not sink them financially to offer a valid trade.

I am ok with the cruise line creating new and profitable opportunities in Asia and don't expect them to honor my cruise itinerary but for goodness sake at least offer an opportunity to book a viable option to trade to. I would be beyond happy to get to book an available 10, 11 or 12 night cruise to replace my canceled 11 night cruise in my date range. I don't even care that much about where it would be. They are available and who knows what else will be available on the 17th. I'm pretty sure they will cost more and so if a trade is not in the cards I wont be able to afford the type of cruise I just purchased.

Here's hoping NCL makes a reputable business decision vs. a sorry we were just messin with you. Here's your money back and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Since my big box ta just notified me today of the change, I'll bet a bunch more angry customers are just now finding out their dream vacation in late 2016 or early 2017 can either happen in the next couple months or its canceled. My TA is C..... I am pretty sure they book a ton of cruises.

Edited by littlelulu01

How have you managed to make a change before the 17th August which many of us have been told we have to wait until before we can make any changes to keep all our promos and price?

I called and asked if we could do a cancel rebook now. I explained needing a handicapped room with another cabin nearby and the lovely lady helping me switched our booking over now, while keeping our current price and perks. We don't get the OBC until later. She told me that switching to an existing cruise now wasn't a problem. After I hung up my dad called and did the same thing.

It seems that it depends who answers the phone as to what you're told.

Does anyone have an email address for NCL in the UK?

I am finding it very frustrating that the opening times of customer services is only 9am - 6pm and unfortunately I start work at 8:30am and get back home later than 6pm.

I have tried calling during my lunch break but of course that's when a lot of NCL customer service agents are at lunch and I'm finding it impossible to contact them by phone.

If not, then I'll have to wait until Saturday, but that'll be of no use on Monday, 17th August when myself and thousands of others will be trying to rearrange their sailings!

I called and asked if we could do a cancel rebook now. I explained needing a handicapped room with another cabin nearby and the lovely lady helping me switched our booking over now, while keeping our current price and perks. We don't get the OBC until later. She told me that switching to an existing cruise now wasn't a problem. After I hung up my dad called and did the same thing.

It seems that it depends who answers the phone as to what you're told.

Many thanks and I'm glad you managed to get transferred to a sailing of your choice. Obviously it does depend who you speak to and of course I can only call the contact number in the UK which appears to be routed to a non-UK customer service centre.

Does anyone have an email address for NCL in the UK?

I am finding it very frustrating that the opening times of customer services is only 9am - 6pm and unfortunately I start work at 8:30am and get back home later than 6pm.

If those are the times in the UK for a UK number how about trying the US number or how about asking the American people to call you.

Mike

Pom by Birth; Kiwi by Choice

I am so glad I was able to snag in inside studio cabin on the Harmony of the Seas - or else I would have been cruising on the Epic next year

I realize that I would not have been effected by the cancellations but no way do I want to give money to a cruise line that takes deposits and cancels cruises without being ready to rebook passengers within a day or two under the same terms as the original booking. Unbelievable really :(

I don't see this ending well for a lot of people.....