Cancelled cruises announcement - Epic, Jade, Spirit, Star, Sun

noche_caliente

Thanks for your research on this. I would not expect to get anything now because they seem to be covered, certainly subject to law interpretation.

However that does not mean consumer laws cannot be changed; it is a slippery slope. Once things like this are done, companies will not hesitate to do it again if consumers do not bring it up to the law makers.

They took a lot of money for down payments and certainly did not give us back the money with interest which NCL probably accumulated; unless they think the OBC takes care of that but a person only gets that if you book another cruise.

I do know that Congress is now looking at the airlines and all of their 'fees' which seems to have gotten out of hand.

I don't necessarily think that more governmental regulation is the answer as it could make things worse for the consumer in the end. If the cruise lines have more of an obligation in the event of a cancelled cruise through regulations, that could also translate into less ability of a passenger to cancel a cruise as well. I don't think I would want to give up that ability as our European friends do have more regulation of the industry (although it doesn't help here) and I believe this leads to less ability for the consumer to cancel.

Because both the consumer and the cruise line can cancel with relatively little financial penalty to either, it's really not much of a contract at all; which is why I don't think the government or media will get involved much here. There are not any real victims, everyone get's their money back and we're upset over lost expectations and lost opportunities elsewhere.

The loss of reputation and loss of goodwill is why a cruise line offers anything when they cancel a cruise. They are trying to repair the damage to their goodwill. So really what we are looking at is how much does NCL value my (or your) goodwill. NCL has weighed it and found to be worth $50.

For us, they gave us one date to protect our rates. That is the second most ridiculous offer I've seen. (the offer to protect rates on a cruise a whole year earlier seems to me to be the dumbest).

Since they only gave me one date or increase your fair and get $50 that tells me how much they value my good will. The damage to NCL's reputation is worth more to me; and it is more to NCL. I have five cruises booked that I will not hesitate to cancel. In my opinion, NCL would do better by protecting pricing than by offering OBC. Honestly, I care more about keeping the expectations that I had in what was cancelled than I do about OBC. That is done better by protecting the deal, as close as possible, that a person had, rather than with OBC.

The damage to NCL here is that most other cruise lines seem to value their customers more than NCL. This board has other examples where other cruise lines (even Carnival) treated their customers better than NCL. That, for me is the bigger issue. Changes happen, strategies change, but how much a company values its customers tells something about the company. The fact that NCL is so far below the market in concern for its customers is disgraceful.

Edited by Beachcampin

The loss of reputation and loss of goodwill is why a cruise line offers anything when they cancel a cruise. They are trying to repair the damage to their goodwill. So really what we are looking at is how much does NCL value my (or your) goodwill. NCL has weighed it and found to be worth $50.

For us, they gave us one date to protect our rates. That is the second most ridiculous offer I've seen. (the offer to protect rates on a cruise a whole year earlier seems to me to be the dumbest).

The damage to NCL here is that most other cruise lines seem to value their customers more than NCL. This board has other examples where other cruise lines (even Carnival) treated their customers better than NCL. That, for me is the bigger issue. Changes happen, strategies change, but how much a company values its customers tells something about the company. The fact that NCL is so far below the market in concern for its customers is disgraceful.

Well said! My cancelled NCL cruise was to be my first. I was only given an option to move the cruise up by 9-12 months, which I found ridiculous and insulting.

The attitude of the agent I spoke with pretty much sealed the deal for me...my cruising life on NCL is most likely over before it even started. There are plenty of great options out there, and I don't feel the need to spend my money with a company who has so little regard for the passengers they displaced.

Very well said Beachcampin. I just read over the NCL cruise ticket contract as well as Carnival's. I'm sure they are all similar and now I know why I have never read the fine print. It's pretty bad all the way around. Basically they are not responsible for anything and can do just about anything with little consumer protection. They must have some of the best lobbyists.

I don't think more governmental regulation has occurred because the cruise lines, except NCL with this offer, have stepped up and provided more than their contracts say they will. Fear of public outcry, bad press, or perhaps genuine care for the customer has kept them in line and they continue to take care of the customer.

I just never knew that NCL was the only one who actually does not step up when canceling a cruise. They are not doing the illegal according to contract. They just aren't up to customer care level as any other company from Carnival on up. That is probably news.

It's shady to sell someone a cruise one day and then cancel the next. Then send an email a few days later telling me I can price protect if moved up a year but the price protect offer has no rooms left in my suite so is null and void right there. Ah but I can rebook any other cruise at the more expensive rate, pay several thousand more for essentially the same cruise during the time originally sold to me and they'll kick in $100 obc. Uh yes please? I don't think so.

Then send an email a few days later telling me I can price protect if moved up a year but the price protect offer has no rooms left in my suite so is null and void right there.
I'm really interested in your comment regarding your cabin category for which there is no availability on your offered alternative cruise.

Am I correct in thinking that as there are no suites of your chosen category available that NCL has not offered you an upgrade to a higher category for the same fare paid for your cancelled sailing?

Therefore, so if there are no cabins available in your cabin category, then NCL will not offer anything else without you having to pay more?

The reason I ask is that I have been watching the number of cabins available in our booked category (BA) reduce on the only sailing we could change to, so I suspect that by the 17th we will be in the same position where there are none available. I have asked NCL already for clarification on this (plus other issues) but have not even received the courtesy of a reply.

Because both the consumer and the cruise line can cancel with relatively little financial penalty to either, it's really not much of a contract at all; which is why I don't think the government or media will get involved much here. There are not any real victims, everyone get's their money back and we're upset over lost expectations and lost opportunities elsewhere.

This right here.

If NCL is required to offer more compensation, then expect the rules about passenger cancellations to tighten.

Also, there's no way to force NCL to follow through on a cruise while booked. What if a ship is in need of an emergency dry dock? They don't have a spare ship sitting in storage just in case. That should be a rare occurrence, but you get my point. The issue with the Pearl and winter charters was mostly resolved for 2016 and it was never open for booking for a two month period in early 2017.

I'm really interested in your comment regarding your cabin category for which there is no availability on your offered alternative cruise.

Am I correct in thinking that as there are no suites of your chosen category available that NCL has not offered you an upgrade to a higher category for the same fare paid for your cancelled sailing?

Therefore, so if there are no cabins available in your cabin category, then NCL will not offer anything else without you having to pay more?

The reason I ask is that I have been watching the number of cabins available in our booked category (BA) reduce on the only sailing we could change to, so I suspect that by the 17th we will be in the same position where there are none available. I have asked NCL already for clarification on this (plus other issues) but have not even received the courtesy of a reply.

I just took a look at my offer and compared it to staterooms available today for the alternative sailings offered a year early. There are more rooms available today vs. a few days ago when I first checked.

I have an H9 spa suite booked. The H categories go down in numbers as they go up in categories. An H6 (aft penthouse suite) is the next category, "better" but as many will tell you and also according to NCL's pricing the H9 is almost always priced higher and sells out much faster than the H6. H9 includes spa pass, H6 does not.

So what is available today on the alternative sailings that are offered with price protection? Zero available on 4/17/16, 3/28/16, 2/14/16, 1/24/16 and one more date in December, 2015 not available as in all sold out of H9's.

So then I counted H-9's available on the other offered price protect dates if I can move my cruise up a year. I found a total, today, of 7 H9 stateroom's available for price protection. There are only 8 of these staterooms on the ship. They obviously sell out fast and so for all of the price protect offered sailings only 7 left to split up among all of the canceled H9 sailings. That's better news than what was available the other day but still not great odds for everyone trying to rebook on the 17th.

But then again, most wont be able to move their cruise up a year so will just plain have to cancel. I know I cant move my cruise up a year so I'm not going to be able to benefit from any price protection. It's a worthless offer to me and most other's . It sure would be great if they said any sailing on the Epic from 7-11 nights in the Med. Or even better, switch us to the Spirit med on the same dates as canceled. But that's a pipe dream I think.

If you have had the email or letter about the cancellations read it very carefully and you will see that the only mention of being able to change to a new cruise between the 17th and 24th is for the new itineraries. The choice with the price protection (often a silly and obviously impractical one) has no date other than contacting the call centre before 24th.

I have tried to exercise my choice to take up their price protected offer as per the email I got, since last week and NCL stonewall everything saying it cannot be done until the 17th by which time my choice might not even be available since the choices are still open for booking during this delay, as others have already found.

So, the Vice President, Passenger Services could not even be bothered to get the rules right when she drafted the cancellation letter to us all???? With such an important piece of passenger notification I would have thought that with her title, she would have taken a huge level of time and care to get the content absolutely correct. Just another example of the off-hand way that these high paid executives think that they can treat the people who ultimately pay their salaries for mugs.

It's shady to sell someone a cruise one day and then cancel the next. Then send an email a few days later telling me I can price protect if moved up a year but the price protect offer has no rooms left in my suite so is null and void right there. Ah but I can rebook any other cruise at the more expensive rate, pay several thousand more for essentially the same cruise during the time originally sold to me and they'll kick in $100 obc. Uh yes please? I don't think so.

Maybe I am being mislead by NCL I was booked on a December 2016 cruise out of tampa. Its being replaced by another UNBOOK ship with dates yet to be announced. On Monday August 17 six days from today I will be able to rebook, how is your situation different.

Maybe I am being mislead by NCL I was booked on a December 2016 cruise out of tampa. Its being replaced by another UNBOOK ship with dates yet to be announced. On Monday August 17 six days from today I will be able to rebook, how is your situation different.

Your offer should be explained in your email. My canceled cruise is an 11 night epic sailing out of Barcelona. The alternative offer I received was to move cruise up a year with price protect or get my money back and chose any cruise I want at today's rates.

The price protect cruise alternatives for Epic 10 and 11 night canceled sailings in Europe are for cruise dates that have been for sale and bookable for a long time, thus are already pretty booked up. They offered to move the Epic canceled sailings up a year so we would be sailing late 2015 -early 2016 which is pretty last minute booking at this point for Europe

Your offer sounds like it's on a sailing that is in fact a new sailing so you should have wide open availability to book your category come the 17th.

If you have had the email or letter about the cancellations read it very carefully and you will see that the only mention of being able to change to a new cruise between the 17th and 24th is for the new itineraries. The choice with the price protection (often a silly and obviously impractical one) has no date other than contacting the call centre before 24th.

I have tried to exercise my choice to take up their price protected offer as per the email I got, since last week and NCL stonewall everything saying it cannot be done until the 17th by which time my choice might not even be available since the choices are still open for booking during this delay, as others have already found.

So, the Vice President, Passenger Services could not even be bothered to get the rules right when she drafted the cancellation letter to us all???? With such an important piece of passenger notification I would have thought that with her title, she would have taken a huge level of time and care to get the content absolutely correct. Just another example of the off-hand way that these high paid executives think that they can treat the people who ultimately pay their salaries for mugs.

I agree, I read my letter and interpreted it to mean I could change any time up to 24th, but like yourself have been told no. Since last Friday I have been promised callbacks and email updates, but received nothing. We've discussed the situation again at home and are really coming down to cancelling as we're more and more concerned we won't be able to transfer to a cabin of our choosing.

More importantly do I want to do business with a company for the first time who would appear not to provide decent customer care? We were really looking forward to sailing NCL, especially the ports on our cancelled cruise, but this fiasco has left a bitter taste.

I agree, I read my letter and interpreted it to mean I could change any time up to 24th, but like yourself have been told no. Since last Friday I have been promised callbacks and email updates, but received nothing. We've discussed the situation again at home and are really coming down to cancelling as we're more and more concerned we won't be able to transfer to a cabin of our choosing.

More importantly do I want to do business with a company for the first time who would appear not to provide decent customer care? We were really looking forward to sailing NCL, especially the ports on our cancelled cruise, but this fiasco has left a bitter taste.

I understand what your saying. For what it's worth I'm going to wait until the 17th. I figure ncl has my deposit and a letting them hold it for a few more days wont kill me. This company is notorious for poor communication prior to cruise and with updating their changes on their website but they deliver a great onboard experience. All of my cruises on NCL have been outstanding. Better food, MUCH better entertainment and relaxed vacation atmosphere that I don't get on other lines. Do they nickel and dime? Sure but I'm willing to accept that for a superior vacation. It's only with these cancelations and the absurd alternatives that I've gotten a taste of the dark side of them. I'm still willing to sail with them if they will work with me. If not, I'll run like H... to a competitor. Really any other line has a much better track record of canceled cruise options. I can deal with a couple formal nights and skip the lame shows on another ship in trade for some reassurance that if they cancel my vacation they will take care of me even though their contract says they don't have to.

This right here.

If NCL is required to offer more compensation, then expect the rules about passenger cancellations to tighten.

Also, there's no way to force NCL to follow through on a cruise while booked. What if a ship is in need of an emergency dry dock? They don't have a spare ship sitting in storage just in case. That should be a rare occurrence, but you get my point. The issue with the Pearl and winter charters was mostly resolved for 2016 and it was never open for booking for a two month period in early 2017.

I don't necessarily think that more regulation is needed but I do know a airline passenger is afforded way more protections. If they cancel your flight home due to mechanical problems with the aircraft they are on the hook and obligated to get you home, put you up, give you meal vouchers... And I've always received a nice loyalty bonus in addition.

Let's say my flight from SEA to OGG is canceled. My airline is still flying to Maui but they now need to go from Seattle to Portland and Portland to Maui. The airline simply puts me on the new flight, emails the changes and asks me to call them if the new flight is unacceptable. They can't tell me here's your money back, you can now only go to maui if you travel a year early. If you still want to fly to maui on the dates you purchased you'll need to pay our new rate and sorry its now thousands more. There's laws protecting me against this sort of thing.

NCL just redeployed a third of their fleet. In my case they will still be sailing the Mediterranean year round, just on a different ship and i think its going to be a 12 day cruise vs an 11 day. I have zero rights to demand they honor the cruise they just sold me on their new ship, or any number of their med itineraries. I have zero rights to get ANYTHING except my $ back. Not the case with the regulated airline.

The only industry saving grace for lack of regulation so far is that other lines ARE taking care of passengers. The other lines don't say, here's $50 if you cruise a year early. Otherwise do what you want, we don't care. We can sell your stateroom for a heck of a lot more now and we don't have to give your replacement any of the perks we gave you.

Edited by littlelulu01

This right here.

How much more do the rules about passenger cancellations need to tighten here in the UK when booking with NCL? If I cancel because I don't want to sail, I forfeit my deposit. In this case it would be $300 if I chose not to sail in normal circumstances.

If NCL cancel because they don't want me to sail they offer $50 per cabin which in our case means $25 pp!

How about a little more in the OBC offer? Doesn't really cost them that much as it can only be spent onboard. Other lines give more OBC just for missed ports!

Edited by peteukmcr

How much more do the rules about passenger cancellations need to tighten here in the UK when booking with NCL? If I cancel because I don't want to sail, I forfeit my deposit. In this case it would be $300 if I chose not to sail in normal circumstances.

If NCL cancel because they don't want me to sail they offer $50 per cabin which in our case means $25 pp!

How about a little more in the OBC offer? Doesn't really cost them that much as it can only be spent onboard. Other lines give more OBC just for missed ports!

Couldn't agree more. Our Easter 2017 cruise on Epic has been cancelled. We cannot move forward by a year as leave is fixed. We will lose $200 OBC and 3rd passenger sails free as we cannot move to when NCL wants and yet as a UK customer if we had cancelled we would lose our £300 deposit. Will have to wait until the 17th and visit TA but as they had to phone NCL to get them to even email the cancellation details pretty disgusted with NCL.

Not sure about the UK specifics as there are sadly still to many differences in the EU.

But it is just an offer. I would always decline and respond that I do not want any cancellations but them to fulfill the contract. Make NCL cancel your cruise against your written will and go on from there.

Let's say my flight from SEA to OGG is canceled. My airline is still flying to Maui but they now need to go from Seattle to Portland and Portland to Maui. The airline simply puts me on the new flight, emails the changes and asks me to call them if the new flight is unacceptable. They can't tell me here's your money back, you can now only go to maui if you travel a year early. If you still want to fly to maui on the dates you purchased you'll need to pay our new rate and sorry its now thousands more. There's laws protecting me against this sort of thing.

NCL just redeployed a third of their fleet. In my case they will still be sailing the Mediterranean year round, just on a different ship and i think its going to be a 12 day cruise vs an 11 day. I have zero rights to demand they honor the cruise they just sold me on their new ship, or any number of their med itineraries. I have zero rights to get ANYTHING except my $ back. Not the case with the regulated airline.

Well said. All I want is to be put on a similar itinerary at a similar time honoring the price and perks under which I booked. Then I can decide if that works for me.

I don't necessarily think that more regulation is needed but I do know a airline passenger is afforded way more protections. If they cancel your flight home due to mechanical problems with the aircraft they are on the hook and obligated to get you home, put you up, give you meal vouchers... And I've always received a nice loyalty bonus in addition.

The only industry saving grace for lack of regulation so far is that other lines ARE taking care of passengers. The other lines don't say, here's $50 if you cruise a year early. Otherwise do what you want, we don't care. We can sell your stateroom for a heck of a lot more now and we don't have to give your replacement any of the perks we gave you.

Well said.

The darkest bit is that NCL was still selling cruises and taking deposits, oh, three weeks ago when they never had any intention to sail them.

Well said.

The darkest bit is that NCL was still selling cruises and taking deposits, oh, three weeks ago when they never had any intention to sail them.

They were actually selling them up till the day before they canceled them. I was able to call on the 2nd, cancel my cruise and re-book in a suite with the new perk package at an incredible rate. Notified on the 5th of cancelation.

The airline issue is immediate. The cruise re-deployments we're discussing are, what, a year away? That's a material difference.

Not to beat a dead horse but I decided I may try NCL so booked Jade Jan 2017. Now I can price protect on sailings from Nov 2015 to Feb2016. Over a year away? doesn't seem right. Don't know why they can't price protect for a similar sailing (same ports, same year...even same ship but different departure port).

Am I correct in my understanding that come the 17th we won't actually be able to see the new itineraries online? Makes it difficult to choose a sailing to switch to without seeing all the options and pricing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The airline issue is immediate. The cruise re-deployments we're discussing are, what, a year away? That's a material difference.

I can tell you first hand that I book airfare 355 days in advance on British Airways. I can also tell you that during the course of the year prior to my flight, British Airways will typically cancel a flight, redeploy planes, and even change the time of my originally booked flight but they absolutely can not tell me that I will have to fly a year early or pay more than the flight they canceled.

They have to put me on their new flight, regardless of how much they may now be charging. It may be new times and occasionally a day earlier or later but they still honor the original fare. This happens all the time with fares booked far in advance. I still get to travel on their planes with Avios vs. cash and the only way I can do this is to book in advance. I book all of my long haul airfare that way. It is the only way I can travel first class and I grab those seats on the exact day they are available because I am competing with tons of others who also book travel in advance.

So perhaps many do not book travel in advance but those who want to travel for less sure do. They also book cruised in advance for the same reasons. Lower fares, better choices and better perks. The cruise lines reward early bookings and encourage it.