Santorini

spf

Hi travelling next week on Aurora to Spain Turkey and Greece. Just wondered if anyone had any tips on Santorini or Ephesus. Thankyou

Santorini is a gem. We love it. It does get busy though sometimes with several cruise ships in at the same time. I've just checked the cruisett site and if that is correct, you are SO lucky! It appears you are the only ship in apart from the Windstar which is a small ship.

You tender in from the ship to land. If you do a ship's trip they will take you to the nearby port then have coaches to take you on your excursion. However, otherwise the only way to land is via the tenders which take you to the little harbour at the base of the cliffs at Thira. This is where the problems can arise as you then have to get to the top! I'd recommend the cable car - quick and efficient and shouldn't be a problem with no other big ships in. We were staying in Santorini earlier this year and some days there were 5 ships whose passengers were competing to get up to Thira = big queues! There is a cobbled zigzag path but it's not to be recommended as you compete with the large often wilful donkeys. And personally I'd definitely not use the donkeys as apart from the animal welfare issues, they can be quite dangerous. We've been on cruises and heard of people falling off or squashed to the walls by advancing donkeys. The surface isn't great and as you can imagine often with lots of droppings.

Without the competition of other ship's passengers I'd get off the ship early, go up the cable car to Thira, make my way to the bus station and get the local bus to Oia. It's a quaint, picturesque village on the edge of the caldera with cafes, lovely craft shops and a great atmosphere. It's only about 20 minutes and the buses are quite frequent. I've just Googled 'Santorini buses' and they run every 20 minutes from on the hour returning from Oia with the same timings. It's €1.80 each way.

If you spend a couple of hours there you can make your way back and have another couple of hours exploring Thira. Fabulous place - very different from anywhere else. I hope you enjoy it as much as we always do. :)

Ephesus I'd say take a ship's half day trip there. I don't think you get much more time there with the full day trip - you have time for lunch included plus perhaps a visit to something else. It's a really excellent excursion though - quite extensive and very impressive and worth having a guide. Definitely worth doing but I think the half day is enough then spend a little time in Kusadadi and have a look at the 'genuine fake' shops in the bazaar - but practise saying 'no' quite firmly as they can be very persistent!

We have been to Santorini twice and both time loved it. However the first time my wife and daughter decided to go up the cliff on the donkeys. My advice is don't do it? Half way up the donkey my daughter was on just stopped and wouldn't move. There are no handlers with them so she was stuck. She had to get off and walk the rest of the way until she found her mum who had been sent ahead despite her request to go after our daughter. The people looking after the donkeys did not seem bothered, and if it wasn't for a friendly American couple who found Lorna wandering up it could have been a lot worse. The other piece of advice is when there a lot of ships in at the same time, the queues for the cable car lift back down to the port area gets VERY busy. Last time we were very nearly late for the ship leaving. If it wasn't for a few members of the crew, including officers been in the queue with us and ringing the captain to let him know we may have been left behind.

There is often a boat running from the harbour to Oia, you can get straight off the tender and buy a ticket.

The boat ticket gives you the boat ride, a coach journey up the hill from the harbour to Oia and then the bus back to Fira several hours later. You still need to get the cable car or walk down but it's a good alternative.

There are lots more details in the Ports of Call section.

For Santorini, I agree with the suggestion that you take the cablecar up to Fira once you leave the tender. The steps where the donkeys walk up are thick with excrement and apart from being slippery, are very smelly. Take the bus into Oia as it's easy and cheap and you get to see some of the countryside at the same time. There are lots of excellent restaurants in Oia too, so you can relax, have a nice meal and watch the cruise ships down below in the caldera. For Ephesus, if you don't want to go on one of the ship's tours, then see whether there are other people on your roll-call, who might be interested in arranging a private tour there. We did that last year and were part of a group of 9 people, in a comfortable air-conditioned mini-bus with a guide and had a fantastic tour around the site without feeling herded or rushed. Word of warning about the so-called Turkish Delight that is being sold in the stalls around Kusadasi port. It's not proper Turkish Delight and the boxes are only half full. We bought several and had to throw them away as the contents were disgusting. Some of our shipmates told us that there was real Turkish Delight being sold away from the port that was cheaper and very delicious. Enjoy your cruise!

I don't know whether or not Aurora offers it but after seeing Santorini once we did an alternative excursion called "Volcano hike". We went by boat to the live crater and hiked to the top and down again. We then went on the boat to another cove with hot springs and swam inland to bathe there. The only problem was that the boat didn't give us very long before they sounded the horn to warn us to swim back. It was quite a long swim and I was worried I wouldn't be able to reach the ladder!

This was with Ocean Village, but I don't know whether or not P and O offer it. It was certainly very different and a great day out!

I don't know whether or not Aurora offers it but after seeing Santorini once we did an alternative excursion called "Volcano hike". We went by boat to the live crater and hiked to the top and down again. We then went on the boat to another cove with hot springs and swam inland to bathe there. The only problem was that the boat didn't give us very long before they sounded the horn to warn us to swim back. It was quite a long swim and I was worried I wouldn't be able to reach the ladder!

This was with Ocean Village, but I don't know whether or not P and O offer it. It was certainly very different and a great day out!

This excursion sounded really good but I was deterred from doing this trip whilst on a land based holiday there because it indicated you had to be a fairly strong swimmer. I'm not lacking in confidence in the water but wasn't sure just how good you had to be to meet their description. It may not be the case that you have to be too strong a swimmer - perhaps the tour companies were just covering their backs but it would certainly be worth checking out.

We went to Ephesus a couple of years ago it was well worth the cost and you won't be disappointed.

If you go on the ships excursion I would suggest if there is a choice of times you go early morning before it gets too hot or busy.

We were the first there but there were hundreds of people behind us as we walked through.

We went to Ephesus a couple of years ago it was well worth the cost and you won't be disappointed.

If you go on the ships excursion I would suggest if there is a choice of times you go early morning before it gets too hot or busy.

We were the first there but there were hundreds of people behind us as we walked through.

Good advice - and to add to that a sunhat, water and shoes with a decent grip are a good idea. There is no shade to speak of and the marble pavers can be quite slippery and reflect the heat too.

We travelled up by cable car and opted for the walk down with the mules and donkeys.

It's quite a tricky and somewhat slippery descent even with proper shoes and whilst there are handlers it's more luck than judgement if they are on hand to make a way through the hundred or so beasts that are tethered in one place. It's not a priority for them either and that's an understatement.

I would however walk down the first hundred yards if only for the photo opportunity the mules and donkeys provide.

Hi,

We did Santorini in July and booked a private excursion with a company called Katakolon Express.

I would certainly recommend them as they were good value for money and, on our trip, not too many people, probably no more than 20 and the guide was extremely knowledgeable.

We also got a discount for being a member of Cruise Critic.

Whoops, just noticed the OP's post date, they are, most likely, already cruising.

Edited by Saltybaltiholty

Hi,

We did Santorini in July and booked a private excursion with a company called Katakolon Express.

I would certainly recommend them as they were good value for money and, on our trip, not too many people, probably no more than 20 and the guide was extremely knowledgeable.

We also got a discount for being a member of Cruise Critic.

Whoops, just noticed the OP's post date, they are, most likely, already cruising.

Where did the tour company pick you up? Did you have to make your own way via cable car into Thira? If you are on a ship's trip you are tendered to the small port near Thira but as that is a different tender service from the one to the cable car location, I suspect you would need to show an excursion ticket to use it. Where did the tour take you?

Hi Kruzseeka

We met the guide on the dock at Thira and then took a 10 minute water taxi ride to Athinaio where we met the tour bus, so no need to queue for the cable car.

The tour took us to a winery with spectacular views, by the way, there was no pressure to buy anything there it was all quite relaxed, and then on to Oia for a couple of hours before ending in Thira and getting the cable car back to the port for the tender back to the ship.

http://www.katakolon-express.com

Thanks for all your replies am currently on an Evesway coach travelling towards Southampton. Hope the weather improves as it's awful today. Going to Oia on an excursion and plan to go on the cable car . Thanks again.

Hi Kruzseeka

We met the guide on the dock at Thira and then took a 10 minute water taxi ride to Athinaio where we met the tour bus, so no need to queue for the cable car.

The tour took us to a winery with spectacular views, by the way, there was no pressure to buy anything there it was all quite relaxed, and then on to Oia for a couple of hours before ending in Thira and getting the cable car back to the port for the tender back to the ship.

www.katakolon-express.com

Thank you so much. That sounds like a really useful alternative to the ship's excursions which are much more expensive even if you do have to buy a cable car ticket one way. It avoids the problems of queueing for the cable car for a DiY approach which is the biggest drawback to an independent approach especially if there are a lot of other ships in. I've looked at the link and will keep that in mind for the future.

Thanks for all your replies am currently on an Evesway coach travelling towards Southampton. Hope the weather improves as it's awful today. Going to Oia on an excursion and plan to go on the cable car . Thanks again.

Have a wonderful time. I'm sure you will find Santorini stunning. :)

Been to Santorini 3 times and love it. Walked up twice which is great fun dodging the donkeys. I also tried the cable car but just feels odd to me being in a cable car without my skis!

You must find a restaurant with a roof top view and not necessarily out to sea. The view across the island is just as impressive.

Hi travelling next week on Aurora to Spain Turkey and Greece. Just wondered if anyone had any tips on Santorini or Ephesus. Thankyou

Hi, we have done the ship's excursions for Celebrity for these locations and imagine that P&O's are similar.

In Santorini we did one that visited the ancient site of Akrotiri (sp?)and then dropped us off in the lovely time in Fira with a ticket for the cable car to take ourselves back when we wanted to go. The tour was great and then we had lunch in one of the restaurants over looking the bay.

We also did something similar that was a basic tour of the island which dropped us off at Thira. Out of the 2 I'd prefer the one to Akrotiri.

In Ephesus we have done a tour that visits a small church dedicated to Mary before a guided tour of Ephesus. We then had lunch somewhere and visited St John's Basilica. We weren't over whelmed re the trip to the small church and would have been happy to give that a miss in any future trip.

On our last visit we booked a ship's transfer where a coach took us to the site and we were given headphones and a map. Basically, we took ourselves round and we really enjoyed that and we saw far more than we had on the 'stay with your guide' tour.

Both tours in Kusadasi ended with a tour of a carpet shop. We didn't bother though as they were just by the ship so we left the group and went back to the ship.

Whatever you decide to do I am sure that you will have a great time in both ports.

We got the local bus to OIU! make your way to the bus station, once you have got to the top by cable car, any local will direct you, it gets pretty busy so you need to get there in plenty of time i think we got a bus round about 10 to 1030, cost something like 3 Euros each way or even less, takes the same route as the tour buses, lots of other tourists did the same.:)

To anyone visiting Ephesus in summer, or planning to walk up the volcano at Santorini....please be aware that neither has any shade, and visitors can become overwhelmed by the heat and strong sun. Do not think about doing either without a head, shoulder and neck covering, and take water with you. I suggest for Ephesus an umbrella, which some of the guides use as a sunshade.

We went to Santorini a couple of weeks ago and as we walked to the queue for the cable car received info on the speedboat transfer which included a bus for the jetty to Oia and then an hourly air conditioned coach back to Thira for €10 pp. when we left Oia it was extremely busy. We walked down the windy path to the harbour as the queue for the cable car was 2 hours in strong sun. At dinner we heard that there had been fighting in the queue but that could just be laundry gossip. Be warned it was a slippy path especially on the bends. Those poor donkeys were not given any water or food from what we could see and at times there were 2 adults riding on 1 donkey. I didn't mind so much seeing a child riding but was irritated by the number of extremely over weight riders who thought it was hysterical that there donkey would not move until it was hit!