Free Internet Question

LARGIN

Had a Brain Fade Moment..

I know that Platinum and Elite gets free internet.

My question is if I need to print out a few pages on their printer is there a per page charge and if so does anyone know the charge? Thanks

Once you hit Platinum each Platinum passenger receives:

• 150 minutes for bookings 7 days or less
  • 250 minutes for bookings 8 – 20 days
  • 500 minutes for bookings 21 days or longer

My wife and I are taking our first cruise as Platinum members and will each receive 250 minutes for our next cruise. Even though I do remember how slow dialup is - I first connected at 350 bps but quickly fixed my setup so I had a blazing 1200 bps :eek: - It probably won't be too bad. I'm sure that the Internet connection on the ship should at least equal 33.6 bps and might even reach 53.333 (the actual max of the 56k connetions). I still doubt we will need to use all of the time as we generally don't want to access stuff while on vacation. :)

I must be dense. And the Internet Host was obviously not helping me (although he wouldn't have known we were both Platinum I suppose).

Anyway, I think I missed that since I was in the habit of pre-booking my Internet package to save some money, so when we turned Platinum, I bought less and over-looked that the free-bee is per person and not per cabin (there's only one login as I recall).

Last cruise was a 10-day so I had enough with the higher minutes package - just me again.

At least I found this out after only 1 7-day as Platinum. You'd think a Princess and cruise nut like myself would know better. But you can always learn something new on CC!! (Maybe that's why I wasn't sure on that first Platinum cruise if I was getting the best deal??)

=================

SO HOW DOES IT WORK? If both wife and I sign up, do we get 300 mins to burn, or do we have to do it sequentially (let one run out first)?

I always bought a package before cruise as it costs more to add minutes later in cruise. I wish I could pre-purchase the 460 min package and then get 300 minutes credit.

I am thinking I have lost the double benefit before by continuing to buy package before sailing and then it all needs adjusting on the ship.

Maybe I should go with the stated method of being recognized as Platinum at first login and getting the free minutes and then purchase add-on offered?

Could someone please guide me how best to get the free 150 x 2 minutes for a 1-week cruise and then add-on minutes if want/need more?

THANKS!!

Edited by steelers36

I have been on many cruises with my free internet minutes. I've always given them back minutes. Only you know,but do you really need the allotted free minutes plus more? Is you visiting US ports! Do you have a smart phone and can use it when on land?

Compose everything offline and then sign on.

Only suggestions since I would never pay the price for ship internet service that is beyond slow.

I must be dense. And the Internet Host was obviously not helping me (although he wouldn't have known we were both Platinum I suppose).

Anyway, I think I missed that since I was in the habit of pre-booking my Internet package to save some money, so when we turned Platinum, I bought less and over-looked that the free-bee is per person and not per cabin (there's only one login as I recall).

Last cruise was a 10-day so I had enough with the higher minutes package - just me again.

At least I found this out after only 1 7-day as Platinum. You'd think a Princess and cruise nut like myself would know better. But you can always learn something new on CC!! (Maybe that's why I wasn't sure on that first Platinum cruise if I was getting the best deal??)

=================

SO HOW DOES IT WORK? If both wife and I sign up, do we get 300 mins to burn, or do we have to do it sequentially (let one run out first)?

I always bought a package before cruise as it costs more to add minutes later in cruise. I wish I could pre-purchase the 460 min package and then get 300 minutes credit.

I am thinking I have lost the double benefit before by continuing to buy package before sailing and then it all needs adjusting on the ship.

Maybe I should go with the stated method of being recognized as Platinum at first login and getting the free minutes and then purchase add-on offered?

Could someone please guide me how best to get the free 150 x 2 minutes for a 1-week cruise and then add-on minutes if want/need more?

THANKS!!

One important thing for for multiple Platinum or Elite Cruisers to remember is that you MUST BE CAREFUL to use your individual allotted minutes first without going over as you will be charged for the minutes past your allotment as the free minutes are not combined with multiple eligible individuals in one cabin. (This assumes one person is using both peoples minutes, if people are using the minutes individually this point would be moot as you are not combining the amount of minutes. I hope this makes sense!) For the other persons free allotment you have to log in on a separate account to use those minutes. You both can log on separately and individually use your minute concurrently on different or the same devices, or you can use up one set of minutes and then go to the next set of minutes all depending on how you use them. Just be careful to watch what account you log in to, and ALWAYS TAKE GREAT CARE TO MAKE SURE TO LOG OFF OR YOUR MINUTES WILL KEEP CLICKING AWAY FAST! :eek: :mad:

I have never bought extra minutes as my Mom does not use internet so I essentially have two separate allotments available to me, but if I remember correctly that the deal offered for additional minutes to purchase when you log on to get your free minutes is pretty good. The "cheaper" additional minutes are only available when you first log in, not as a later add on. It all depends on your usage habits.

Happy Cruising!

Mark

=================

SO HOW DOES IT WORK?

THANKS!!

Simple. It is a per passenger benefit, not per cabin. Mins. are not transferable nor are the stackable between passengers.

When a qualified platinum or elite passenger logs on the first time they have a selection of internet packages they can purchase. One of those is the platinum/elite package with a cost of $0. For a 10 night cruise that is the 250 min package. Select that package and you will not be charged. If both are qualified both have to log on and purchase the $0 package, thus establishing two different internet accounts. Once you use up the mins in one account, switch your log on and use the other. No need to pre-purchase if you know in advance that the free amounts are sufficient for your usage, in the 10 night example a total of 500 mins between two.

FYI: You can send free Princess e-post cards and not use any mins. We frequently send them when we just wish to advise some short information. It is easy to use and keeps those at home informed. You need to enter the full internet address to send them.

Be very careful to log off.

I was very surprised one day when I got back to our cabin after being onshore all day to find I had no minutes left when I should have had about 100.

I must not have logged off but I thought I had.I had been away about 6 hours and was horrified to think what the charge was going to be.I immediately went to see the Internet manager who very kindly reinstated my minutes and refunded the extra charge of about $11.He said it happens quite often.

It appears that if all your minutes are used up it only continues for about 15 min then logs off.

I am now very careful to check and double check I have logged off.

Okay. Thanks to all. I am well aware of 1.1.1.1 and making sure to logoff, but never hurts to remind others and newbies. I have had it happen just once where logoff must have failed and I too had NP getting minutes restored - just ask nicely and explain situation.

I guess I should be cruising more often. I was thinking it was a cabin login since I recall you do enter cabin number as part of the login.

So... in summary, I should login once for me and once for my wife upon boarding and get the freebee package (it will be 150 x 2) for each of us, then use the internet by logging in as one of us to exhaust those minutes, then switch to the other. In addition, when I first sign up as me, I should buy any extra minutes I think I might need beyond the 300 total (5 hrs). I imagine 5hrs should be plenty. Too bad I spent $$ on previous cruises - oh well, live & remember thanks to CC.

In the address window on your internet browser.

NOTE: The address window is NOT the search function in Google. I have spent the past 15 years trying to teach the same people how to enter an address into the address bar. They insist on putting it into Google and wondering why things don't work. When I finally get them to use the address bar they then proceed to click on the magnifying glass next to it which, again, does a search. They need to simply press Enter or (because we use IE at work) click on the arrow to the right of the address bar - not the magnifying glass icon. This is one of the major frustrations I have at work. People simply refuse to learn the most basic use of their browser.

Address%20Bar_zpsnfwzlmty.jpg

NOTE: The address window is NOT the search function in Google. I have spent the past 15 years trying to teach the same people how to enter an address into the address bar. They insist on putting it into Google and wondering why things don't work. When I finally get them to use the address bar they then proceed to click on the magnifying glass next to it which, again, does a search. They need to simply press Enter or (because we use IE at work) click on the arrow to the right of the address bar - not the magnifying glass icon. This is one of the major frustrations I have at work. People simply refuse to learn the most basic use of their browser.

Address%20Bar_zpsnfwzlmty.jpg

Ha! The wonderful world of IT support... Oh, the stories I could tell.

Actually, I have been told by internet managers aboard to use logout.com. Yes, type it in the LOCATION bar, not google and enter, then wait a few seconds and it will come up with the recent usage data. ALWAYS do this when leaving the computer or device.

Where do you type the 1.1.1.1 in order to log off.TIA

Where you type or paste in URL's. Technically, it's http://1.1.1.1, but the logoff button should do the same thing when clicked. Just wait and watch for the summary screen that says you are logged off.

Er, sorry everyone .. for some reason I did not see all the duplicate answers above. Not trying to boost my posting count.

Edited by steelers36

The internet for Platinum and Elite is only free for the first 150 minutes for 7 day cruise, 250 for 8 to 20 days and 500 over 20 days. Past the initial free minutes you will have to purchase additional minutes.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

Edited by ChiefBoats
Grammer