The Love Boat - just a fun post

sue2go

I've rediscovered the joy of the old Love Boat series. Will record and watch when there's nothing I want to see on the tube. One thing that I notice - this was before the days of extreme teeth whitening! It's refreshing to see big stars of the day with normal teeth instead of white chicklettes!

Wait, you mean its not all real?? :eek:

I really like how the passengers stand outside on Promenade Deck with the ship at speed and their hair never moves a millimeter. Now that's some strong hairspray.

Sent from my D2-927G using Forums mobile app

We just returned from an Alaska cruise on the Pacific Princess (THE Love Boat). They have a TV station that shows nothing but Love Boat episodes. It was rather fun to turn on during the short periods we were in the cabin. Since I have just watched multiple episodes the comments have made me laugh.

I also loved the crew in shorts, long crew socks and white shoes!

Where do I start?

Does anyone remember actually cruising in those days...and compare it to the show?

Okay...First...The Captain was an American! To this day, I think I've only had one American Captain in Forty Plus cruises...and that was recently...

Second...Julie the "Cruise Director"...Well, I have now sailed twice with women as cruise directors--but both very recently...And it was not until recently that I even had an American...Back in those days, I think all of the Cruise Directors were British! And, what the heck was her job as "Cruise Director"? Seems all she did was match people up romantically and tend to people's depression when their relationships were going slightly astray (so they'd always get back together by the show's end)...She certainly didn't host shows or any typical cruise activity.

Third...The Doctor? All he did was hit on single women passengers...

Fourth...Isaac the bartender...This guy was the ONLY bartender on board...and didn't mix a whole lot of drinks...Were these ships full of Mormons and AA members? Gosh, one bartender, you'd think he should have been overworked...but he barely did anything...ever...

Fifth...Gopher...He was supposed to be the Purser...Another guy with nothing to do...Seemed to be the ship-based Gilligan...

Overall...the ENTIRE crew were Americans! Now, I have been cruising a LONG time...and way back in the day it was more true...but it still even is today: There are crew members from ALL OVER THE WORLD...and scant few Americans...on any cruise line, any ship...What are the odds of getting a full US-born crew--Captain, CD, Pursers, Bartenders, Doctor, etc.? And none of them ever seemed to do any real work! If it wasn't for the oversized cabins and the total spaciousness and lack of crowds, you'd think everyone would be going home complaining about the service...

Hard to see how they competed with those land-based all-inclusives--like Fantasy Island...At least there you had a foreign-born staff and the entertainment factor of being greeted by a midget!

I find it totally realistic - just like Gilligan's Island. :rolleyes:

Hey...I LOVED Gilligan's Island...especially when they remade it a few years ago as "Lost"! Wasn't that the same basic premise? ...a bunch of very different tourists stranded on an uncharted island...?

Actually, on Lost, when they started learning that there was another group of inhabitants on the other side of the island, I sort of wanted them to go over there and find a tour boat ship captain, his first mate, a millionaire and wife, a movie starlet, a professor and a girl-next-door type who had been stranded on that island since the 60s...

What a fun thread! Everything you say is so true. Interesting that I loved this show as a kid, even before cruising was a big thing. Who knew I would grow up and get addicted to cruising!

We love watching the show on the ships and can't believe all the stars that got their start on the Love Boat.

Actually, on Lost, when they started learning that there was another group of inhabitants on the other side of the island, I sort of wanted them to go over there and find a tour boat ship captain, his first mate, a millionaire and wife, a movie starlet, a professor and a girl-next-door type who had been stranded on that island since the 60s...

Now that is a fantastic idea. The professor would have loved to check out down in the hatch, and it would be fun to see if Sawyer hooked up with Ginger or MaryAnn. (I'm a MaryAnn guy)

Gilligan would be off playing golf with Hurley :)

We love watching the show on the ships and can't believe all the stars that got their start on the Love Boat.
Funny! My impression of the guest stars was has beens who were on their way down. There was a comment on another thread about an old magazine cartoon that had an agent visiting a retired actors' home and asking,"Is there anyone here who hasn't appeared on Love Boat?"

And the passageways are at least twice the width of the real thing.......

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

Dang. The Love Boat TV show is not realistic? That's why I signed up for our cruise. What do we do now? We have prepaid gratuities and onboard credit. Isaac is featured on a the Princess web site. I thought he would be serving us drinks. Don't tell me anymore. Next thing you are going to tell me is the Santa I saw at the mall is not the real Santa. Of course he is the real Santa. Everyone knows that!

My first cruise was during the "Love Boat" heyday. I remember thinking the first night that I went up on the pool deck was "where are the lily pads that float in the pool like on the Love Boat".? All I saw was a pool covered by mesh so that the passengers who had been over served wouldn't drown when they fell in. No romance there!!!

Still a great, fun show...I tape it every Sunday afternoon for a little stroll down memory lane.