Port or Starboard Side?

littleface

Booking the Eclipse Christmas cruise from Miami. 9 nights sailing to Labadee, Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire.

I'm just wondering which side of the ship would be better to book a balcony on?

Thanks so much for any suggestions and thoughts.

Booking the Eclipse Christmas cruise from Miami. 9 nights sailing to Labadee, Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire.

It doesn't matter. We generally book the starboard side because most, if not all, outdoor smoking areas are on the port side.

Just matter of preference, we almost always are portside. Love to sit on the balcony and watch what's happening on the port, rather than looking out at sea, which we do while we are "at sea."

You can't go wrong with one or the other!

Edited by Cruisen'Susan

Book aft and you'll be able to check out port and starboard:

DSC01739.jpg

Just matter of preference' date=' we almost always are portside. Love to sit on the balcony and watch what's happening on the port, rather than looking out at sea, which we do while we are "at sea."

You can't go wrong with one or the other![/quote']

OK...I'll bite. The port vs starboard side has absolutely nothing to do with whether you are watching the port you are visiting or watching the sea. That would be like always sitting on the left on a river cruise on the Seine because you wanted to view the left bank of Paris.

I agree that you should try to get an AFT cabin. Looking out at the wake isso calming.

And, like "need2cruisesoon" said, you can see BOTH port and starboard sides....

oo oo oo!!! yes, aft is the best view of all. but far less number of cabins. I agree and it's always our first choice, except when we do Aqua.

I thought CC was informational rather than a debate. But yes, the view is basically the same. But for passengers who have a preference between sunrise and sunsets..... If you are traveling north, you will start the day with the sunrise every morning from the ship’s starboard side. But if you are traveling south, you will enjoy the sunset from your starboard stateroom each evening.

Selecting a stateroom that is mid-ship or near an elevator is most of the time more pressing than choosing between port side and starboard side.

oo oo oo!!! yes' date=' aft is the best view of all. but far less number of cabins. I agree and it's always our first choice, except when we do Aqua.[/quote']

However on the millenium class ships, there are five aft A1 cabins on deck 11 which are highly desirable.

To the OP, there is typically no consistency as to which side of the ship is against the dock so choosing a side based upon hoping to either view the dock or view the harbour is a crapshoot. When travelling from one stop to another, you typically are too far away from land to see anything from either side. Coming into or out of port, there may be some advantage. Looking at maps and knowing the route, you may be able to determine which side of the ship is facing land on those occasions.

I thought CC was informational rather than a debate. But yes' date=' the view is basically the same. But for passengers who have a preference between sunrise and sunsets..... If you are traveling north, you will start the day with the sunrise every morning from the ship’s starboard side. But if you are traveling south, you will enjoy the sunset from your starboard stateroom each evening.

Selecting a stateroom that is mid-ship or near an elevator is most of the time more pressing than choosing between port side and starboard side.[/quote']

Of course on many, if not most cruises, the ship returns to the same port so 1/2 the trip you will be facing east (ish) and half the trip you will be facing west (ish).....so the choice is more on which half of the trip do I want the sun in the morning :)

Ships always dock portside in Aruba, and all of the ships I have seen at the new dock in Curacao were docked portside.

Aruba

Aruba7_zpsa6uim6xl.jpg

On Westerdam, watching Ventura arrive in Aruba

BG-137.jpg

Curacao with Ventura

BG-122.jpg

BG-125.jpg

Edited by Essiesmom

We always solve the problem by booking two cabins, one on the port side and the other starboard. And, no, we don't move our clothes from one to the other. :)

Actually, I love the aft cabins, but my wife has noticed tremors from the propulsion system on several occasions, so I guess our days in aft cabins are numbered.

When you are sailing south from the U.S. the sun will be on the port side in the mornings and the sun will set on the starboard side in the afternoons.

So if you want the sun in the mornings book the port side if you are sailing south from the U.S.

Also more motion the further aft (or forward) you get if the seas are rocky, if that matters to you. To us, the smoking on the port side is our main reason for choosing starboard all other things being equal, especially if we are on a floor close to one of the open decks.