New England/Canada itinerary?

Runaway Parent

We are looking at this cruise out of New York on the Sunshine. Anyone been on this trip that might share their experience?

Also- worth it to get a balcony, or no? We prefer a balcony most trips, however are OK with otherwise. I'm just curious if there is anything to see while sailing this route. I've heard the benefits of a balcony on Alaskan cruises and I'm wondering if there are sites on this eastern seaboard that would make a balcony the recommended cabin type. When at sea, are you close enough to the coast to see anything?

TIA for information.

As previous poster has mentioned, unless you are sailing one way most of the time there is not much to see but the sea. lol

Of course you will be near land sailing in and out of the ports but sea days are just that…..sea days, nothing but the ship and the water.

I, personally, still book a balcony sailing to Canada because I prefer natural sunlight.

Enjoy your cruise.

Our first cruise (Aug. 2014) was a 5 day NYC to Canada on the Glory. We loved it. We did have a balcony and enjoyed coffee in the morning and a drink in the evening on the cruise. As for Canada, we had 2 ports. Saint John and Halifax. In Saint John, we booked through Roy's Tours. It is a group of taxi drivers (vans) that you hire for the day and they give a great tour. It is a full day for $300. Doesn't matter if it is 1 person or 6, it is still $300 total. It was just me, my husband and our son and still felt we had a great deal. We went all around town stopping at every place of interest. They took us to the Fundy Trail, reversing falls, etc...

As for Halifax, we just got off the ship and walked around. If you head over to the pier there is an information booth with maps. There are shops right there at the pier or you can walk up to the downtown area. You can walk to the Citadel, and there is a Sports Hall of Fame near the Citadel that has free admission.

Enjoy your cruise!

We did the roundtrip from New York on the Glory a few years ago. We had a balcony but hardly used it once out of New York it was really cold (we went in October). I would still get the balcony just to have some light and step out for a minute for some fresh air. The cruise is nice and loved sailing out of New York past the Statute of Liberty and under the Verrazano Narrows (I think that is the name) Bridge.

I did the 7 day New England/Canada itinerary twice, once on Glory and once on Splendor. I plan on doing this itinerary again in Sept 2016 on the Sunshine.

All 4 ports I toured were:

Boston I walked the Freedom Trail, then Fanueil Hall, Cheers and a near by park.

Portland I walked the seaport area and downtown and some nearby parks. Great seafood.

Saint John I went to the seaport area for food and shopping. The City Market is great for chowder and a lobster roll.

Halifax has a nice seaport area, downtown, the Citadel and a nice park.

I did each port on foot. A great way to tour each port. Just grab a map at port and go. It was a nice and relaxing cruise.:cool:

Did a 5 night on Glory in 2013 and just did a 4 night on Splendor two months ago. I just added the last segment to my photo review. The link would normally be in my signature but I need the computer at the library to do it, mine is super old. You can just go to "Carnival Splendor" and you'll find it.

Canada is such a beautiful place, lots of beauty and tranquility that's a great change from the Caribbean. I would highly suggest it! :D

We did this itinerary and enjoyed it. We sailed in September so it was a bit early for fall foliage (saw little to none) and temperatures fluctuated. It was cool at night but warm in he ports during the day. We had a balcony and did use it thought not for the scenery. We just prefer balconies for relaxation and the open feeling.

I've sailed to Canada, out of NYC twice. Once was beginning of Aug, the other the end of Aug. Different years. Both times it was cold and foggy all night. So foggy they locked the doors, and no one could go out on deck. The crew said that was typical of sailing to Canada. During the day, you could see, but it was still pretty chilly outside. This was Aug remember.

We did a horse and wagon tour at St John, which was fun and informative.

In Halifax, we did a tour that included visiting the Titanic museum, and also the cemetary where some of the Titanic passengers ended up. Mostly the 3rd class passengers, whose families couldn't afford to ship them back home. Very interesting tour, if you like Titanic history.

Our 2nd time to Halifax, we did the Froggy Hopper. It's an amphibious vehicle, on wheels, that travels on land, and also floats on water. We got to see Halifax both on land and by water. We enjoyed this a lot. Have a wonderful cruise.

We've done two 4-night and five 5-night Canada cruises, ranging from end of June to Labor Day weekend. Both 4-night cruises were Labor Day cruises and both were impacted by tropical weather - Tropical Storm Eduardo in 2006 and Hurricane Earl in 2010. Just a caution that while you don't think about tropical weather in booking a Canada cruise, it can happen, especially later in hurricane season. And as others have mentioned, often there is fog. Not all the time, but often. One time we didn't realize we were docking in Halifax until we heard and felt the thrusters - we couldn't see the dock.

I have to admit to being a balcony snob. On this itinerary I like the balcony for New York City sailaways - sailing from New York is my favorite sailaway. There's so much to see in New York Harbor. On the return, if you get up early enough you can go out on your balcony and watch the city wake up.

We sailed out of Boston in late July and it was fogged most days, couldn't see much from balcony but loved it when we ported most days. Enjoyed it and will go back and would love to sail out on NY. Glad Carnival is doing Canada again.

We did this cruise in mid September 2007. We did not have a balcony on this cruise but did have a window through which we saw whales. There were a lot of sightings, particularly in the Bay of Fundy. This was perhaps my favorite cruise and I highly recommend it. I also recommend cruising the west coast and the cruise out of San Juan which were my next two favorite cruises. I have cruised Alaska but it rained everyday and while it is worth doing, I would rank it no higher than 4th or 5th. Anyway, we did the land and sea tours in Boston and Portland. I remember Portland as a good tour but the Boston tour was disappointing. In Halifax we took the city tour and then went to Peggys Cove. You have to see Peggys Cove. It is other worldly, like nowhere else, you have to see it. Oh, the weather was beautiful short sleeve shirt weather each day in the ports. I don't really remember the weather after dark but it was probably chilly or cold. I seem to recall the fog horn at times sounding every 5 minutes at night. St. Johns! How could I forget St. Johns. We took the city tour and went to the reversing falls. That was OK but what stole my heart was that as you sail away A lone bagpiper plays on the dock. This also happens in Halifax but in St. Johns I was at the back on the top deck and could still hear the piper playing even after I could not see him anymore and eventually the music faded away as the distance increased. At Halifax the piper just stopped after a short time but for all I know the one at St. Johns played all night.

This is our favorite cruise to do (I wish they offered more five days during the summer). I'd say if you're going in the fall you probably don't need a balcony unless you want one. It is quite cool and you may not use it as much as you would on a Caribbean cruise. On our last b2b, it was sleeting (in June/July!) one night at the Dive-In theater and they did have to use the horn every five minutes or so. Last time we booked 1As and 4As and ended up getting complimentary upgraded into balconies, but I wouldn't have paid for it.

You won't be able to see land unless you are coming and going from the ports. Otherwise, you are out to sea.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

We sailed twice to Canada on Carnival. Our cruises were during the summer months. It is warm enough to have outside activities on sea days in June and July. A balcony is more of a hit or miss thing. You can get a lot of fog, particularly in the morning. If it is very foggy, the fog horn will blow every two minutes like clockwork, and you will hear it in a balcony cabin.

Keep in mind that it is not a beach itinerary. St. John is the most friendly port that we have ever visited. There is a lot to do in Halifax within walking distance of the ship. You can book lots of private tours in Portland to suit your fancy. (I don't know if they are still going to Sydney)

I have cruised on the glory out of New York to Brunswick and another area I forgot what the name is called. Just remember 3 things: a seasick wristband (I don't get seasick easily, but traveling up north on a ship gave me headaches), poutine, and Tim Hortons.

This summer is going to be my first time on a balcony cabin so I don't have anything to say about that

Have fun!

I've done this itinerary three times and I love it. It's a nice change from baking in the Caribbean. However, fog can be an issue, and along with it, the bone shattering fog horn going off every minute. That's something that has to be heard to be believed. Don't get a stateroom up too high or you'll have that foghorn blowing night and day. Halifax is beautiful- you can just walk around. Same with Boston. You have to get a bit creative with St. John and with Portland- I think we went to LL Bean. I've been on 4,5 and 7 day cruises on Carnival and Princess up that way.

I've done this itinerary twice. Once the 4 day on the Victory and once the 5 day on the Splendor - last Sept.

We always get a balcony. We had fog, but it was warm on the way up for the Sept cruise, then we had great weather the whole rest of the time. We were so glad to have the balcony on the way back because we encountered a whole pod of whales swimming with dolphins. The captain had to practically stop the ship there were so many. One of the biggest highlights of any cruise I've been on.

I think the fall cruises in Sept is probably the best time. June was cold, rainy & foggy but it did clear up in the afternoon in Saint John.

I have photos here if you want to see them.

Edited by Cyber Kat

Have done cruise three times to Halifax and St. John. Once on the Triumph and twice on the Glory. All during the summer. Only had bad fog one of the cruises. Had a balcony on one cruise but hardly ever used it, but it is nice to have just for a quiet space to read and relax. Ports were great. Easy walking. Did different excursions each time and just walked around afterwards. Enjoy

Balcony definitely not worth it.....

It can be cool, it can be foggy.....or it can be beautiful

Once we were "no-shows" due to an impending hurricane (lost all the fare)....so I do this route "as cheap as possible" just in case

I think I've gone to Canada 4 times...and we are going again next month

IMHO we don't bother with a balcony to Canada. We enjoy being up on top while sailing out of NYC as there are sights on both sides along with the bridge.

We had pilot whales swimming along side of us off the coast of New Hampshire. It was early morning while walking the outside track.

You are never close enough to "see" anything unless you are entering a port.

St. John's has a paved walkway all the way to the reversing falls. A great way to stretch the legs in the morning and then through the market area and to the pub!

Enjoy your trip whatever you decide!

We did this itinerary several years ago and it was the one time we had a balcony rather than an OV (it was an upgrade). The sights were beautiful in New York harbor when set sail, but we took it all in from the top deck - much easier to see everything. Once at sea, it was too cold to use the balcony much. Once we got to St John's and Halifax, we were on land. Beautiful sights, but much better enjoyed by being there.

IMHO we don't bother with a balcony to Canada. We enjoy being up on top while sailing out of NYC as there are sights on both sides along with the bridge.

We had pilot whales swimming along side of us off the coast of New Hampshire. It was early morning while walking the outside track.

You are never close enough to "see" anything unless you are entering a port.

St. John's has a paved walkway all the way to the reversing falls. A great way to stretch the legs in the morning and then through the market area and to the pub!

Enjoy your trip whatever you decide!

Is walking to the Reversing Falls possible? Is it less than an hour?