Lost price and perks due to NCL changing trip

Manbo

As I posted earlier, NCL changed my 12 day, Breakaway from NYC (Jan 31-Feb 12) into a 14 day, returning on Feb 14.

This would have been great, but I MUST be back at work on Feb 13.

After several calls, I was told I had to wait until Aug 10, to talk about moving back 2 weeks earlier (Jan 17).

I called just now and after 17 minutes on hold, I was informed all they would do is cancel and rebook me. My bill would good from $4001. to over $5000.

Plus the UBP & DSC have increased fees (not to mention loss of double Latitudes Points).

After many years of being a loyal and happy NCL customer, I am very disappointed.

NCL really misplayed this, especially by canceling trips without the new itineraries available. And failure to honor already agreed upon prices.

RCCL, here I come!

Hope you enjoy RCCL as besides NCL you clearly do not enjoy following CC rules about duplicate threads either. ;)

I am sorry Officer Demonyte. However there is no duplicate thread. ;)

So, what happened?

Did you have to cancel all together? Did NCL give you a refund or were you forced to take the crappy alternative at a higher price?

I would have thought that since NCL wanted everyone to wait until today to call there would be a some kind of plan to help make these re-bookings as painless as possible.

I hope you eventually get to sail where you want to go. :)

I'm sorry about the loss. How frustrating to wait and hope and then be offered that. I hope it's not a sign of offers available on the 17th for the massive cancelation/redeployment.

Really makes you wonder when these redeployments were first discussed and if there was any correlation to the decision to redeploy over 1/3 of the fleet and the incredible offers they were giving. Like perhaps their was a decision made that a certain number of those insane perks would be materialized but that they would also never honor a chunk of them, but in the meantime they could sell them, get a ton of bookings and deposits, and then when the redeployment occurred retain some of those bookings on new itineraries at the new prices and new perks options, creating an overall win situation for them.

I don't know the circumstances for your situation but was thinking about the announcement made on the 3rd that over a third of their fleet was being redeployed for new and exciting destinations. Well that's great but they sold the old destinations up till Sunday, August 2nd and took people's deposits up till then. I know because I gave them $1500 for a great deal on a Haven suite on the 1st.

I'm sure the bulk of those sales occurred several months ago when the deals were insane for ocean view and above. The Europe sailings initially offered a choice of two perks and obc for ocean view and above. Those perk offers for many sailings were not accompanied by an increase of fare which is often seen. So many people booked those deals that they blew up the phones and shut down the website. Free UBP, Free UDP as in actually free with gratuities on the packages paid. Inclusion for all in the stateroom for the dining package (the UBP gave the soda package and tips for all guests after the first two), friends and family sail free.

Perhaps a good chunk of those perks were never going to be made good on.

If five ships have been redeployed and it affects booked cruises over a 7 month time frame that's 140 weeks of cruises that the package sold was not going to materialize. In the meantime say conservatively that NCL took deposits on approx. 20% of those cruises. That's quite a chunk of deposits to get to sit on and collect some interest. If 20% of those staterooms gave a $500 deposit for the deal of the century it's about 35 million dollars in deposits to hang onto for a while.

I don't think we will ever know unless some type of fraud investigation takes place, and who even knows if this can occur with the way cruise lines are protected. But if it goes down that they end up screwing that many people over you bet there is going to be at minimum a huge public outcry. There are very few if any industries that I know of in the US who can conduct business like that and get away with it.

I can't say that I blame you really but cancelled/changed cruises happen on RCI too. We lost out on one there as well due to a ship charter. Having said that, I think I'd be a bit peeved as well.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

I would be upset. That really isn't what I would consider fair dealing. Why not allow you to book a similar cruise with price/promotion protection? That is logical.

I've had one cruise cancelled with Carnival and that was exactly what the did, they gave OBC and price/promotion/stateroom category protection for any similar sailing. I went from a Bahama's 8 day in November to a 7 day Caribbean (including Half Moon Cay - awesome) in October with no issues, they didn't have the exact same stateroom type on the new ship so I was able to request the stateroom I thought was comprable. That cruise was selling for 300$ more pp than I paid for the original cruise and I didn't pay an extra penny! Carnival handled the cancellation wonderfully.

Honestly, this is what I would expect from any cruiseline. It's reasonable! It's great customer service. :D

It will definitely be interesting to see how everything plays out on the 17th.

I have an SJ suite booked for 5 people with all the awesome perks and incredible price. Booked beginning of March this year for a 2017 sailing.

The ship I'm allowed to switch to, while I like it better, does not have the SJ suites and only 2 bedroom suites hold 5 people. Will be interesting to see what they offer me. I'm sure I will be told no price protection because they don't have the same category available. I'm guessing they won't honor my $3500 cruise fare for 5 people in a suite with all the benefits. Time will tell, but I'm not holding my breath.

I've already begun pricing cruises on RCCL, CCL and MSC. No they won't be suites, but if my price is not honored, I will be doing the same as many and jumping ship.

You all don't have to make the smart remarks of "Goodbye" I've cruised almost all the major mass market cruiselines, but really liked NCL the best up until recently. I hope I'm all wrong and they make good. Will know in a weeks time I guess.

Edited by djmess

Geesh some people are so quick to point out duplicate threads as opposed to HELPING out and hearing out the OP which is what this forum is all about.. helping each other. :rolleyes: SMDH (shaking my damn head )

Edited by Georgie562

So, what happened?

Did you have to cancel all together? Did NCL give you a refund or were you forced to take the crappy alternative at a higher price?

I would have thought that since NCL wanted everyone to wait until today to call there would be a some kind of plan to help make these re-bookings as painless as possible.

I hope you eventually get to sail where you want to go. :)

My choices were either cancel and rebook at the listed fair ($1000 more) or stick with what the booking that they extended. I was offered nothing for the inconvenience.

I will call again and try to get a supervisor to help...I didn't cancel yet. I am glad I hadn't purchased any flights!

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I'm disappointed in the way NCL seems to be handling this. The fact that they took down those cruises off their website led me to believe that they were allowing people on all those 12-day cruises to get re-arranged. They should be understanding of the fact that some people just can't accommodate certain dates due to business or other obligations. You shouldn't be penalized for it.

As I posted earlier, NCL changed my 12 day, Breakaway from NYC (Jan 31-Feb 12) into a 14 day, returning on Feb 14.

After several calls, I was told I had to wait until Aug 10, to talk about moving back 2 weeks earlier (Jan 17).

I called just now and after 17 minutes on hold, I was informed all they would do is cancel and rebook me. My bill would good from $4001. to over $5000.

Plus the UBP & DSC have increased fees (not to mention loss of double Latitudes Points).

After many years of being a loyal and happy NCL customer, I am very disappointed.

NCL really misplayed this, especially by canceling trips without the new itineraries available. And failure to honor already agreed upon prices.

RCCL, here I come!

OK - the cruise was suppose to be over on a Friday but because of the cancelled CTN now returns on a Sunday - adding 2 extra days with (I assume) no extra costs. First, I imagine most folks who are on this cruise were elated for the change, but that is not the case for you since you have to be back for something on Feb 13. I see your dilemma.

Now, I don't remember seeing it but what were NCL's options when you got the email (that I assume must have went out to all the cruisers). If I were to guess, there may not have been any options listed.

In the meantime, all the unsold cabins for all those cruises that had been 12 days have now been repriced to 14 days so that's now higher - so there is no more 12 days cruises to honor prices anymore. And rebooking now means you wouldn't get the double Latitudes for booking over 9 months ago.

NCL didn't change the laws concerning CTN, but are trying to make up their losses now by changing more for the longer cruises. Hard to argue with that.

This appears to be a perfect storm that will either end up with you spending more on an earlier cruise or cancelling the cruise you now cannot take because you need to be somewhere on that Saturday.

I'm sorry about the loss. How frustrating to wait and hope and then be offered that. I hope it's not a sign of offers available on the 17th for the massive cancelation/redeployment.

Really makes you wonder when these redeployments were first discussed and if there was any correlation to the decision to redeploy over 1/3 of the fleet and the incredible offers they were giving. Like perhaps their was a decision made that a certain number of those insane perks would be materialized but that they would also never honor a chunk of them, but in the meantime they could sell them, get a ton of bookings and deposits, and then when the redeployment occurred retain some of those bookings on new itineraries at the new prices and new perks options, creating an overall win situation for them.

I don't know the circumstances for your situation but was thinking about the announcement made on the 3rd that over a third of their fleet was being redeployed for new and exciting destinations. Well that's great but they sold the old destinations up till Sunday, August 2nd and took people's deposits up till then. I know because I gave them $1500 for a great deal on a Haven suite on the 1st.

I'm sure the bulk of those sales occurred several months ago when the deals were insane for ocean view and above. The Europe sailings initially offered a choice of two perks and obc for ocean view and above. Those perk offers for many sailings were not accompanied by an increase of fare which is often seen. So many people booked those deals that they blew up the phones and shut down the website. Free UBP, Free UDP as in actually free with gratuities on the packages paid. Inclusion for all in the stateroom for the dining package (the UBP gave the soda package and tips for all guests after the first two), friends and family sail free.

Perhaps a good chunk of those perks were never going to be made good on.

If five ships have been redeployed and it affects booked cruises over a 7 month time frame that's 140 weeks of cruises that the package sold was not going to materialize. In the meantime say conservatively that NCL took deposits on approx. 20% of those cruises. That's quite a chunk of deposits to get to sit on and collect some interest. If 20% of those staterooms gave a $500 deposit for the deal of the century it's about 35 million dollars in deposits to hang onto for a while.

I don't think we will ever know unless some type of fraud investigation takes place, and who even knows if this can occur with the way cruise lines are protected. But if it goes down that they end up screwing that many people over you bet there is going to be at minimum a huge public outcry. There are very few if any industries that I know of in the US who can conduct business like that and get away with it.

NCL has acted unscrupulously.

Many are responding to the Op as if he was on one of the cruises that were canceled. This is far from that. NCL actually is giving the OP and extra two days of cruising at no cost. Because the OP has a personal issue that won't allow him to take the cruise, NCL is saying they can cancel, or rebook another cruise at current rates. So far none of the other few thousand people on the cruise have not posted any negative comments.

Many are responding to the Op as if he was on one of the cruises that were canceled. This is far from that. NCL actually is giving the OP and extra two days of cruising at no cost. Because the OP has a personal issue that won't allow him to take the cruise, NCL is saying they can cancel, or rebook another cruise at current rates. So far none of the other few thousand people on the cruise have not posted any negative comments.

True but the op was given instructions to call on the 10th. Sounds like he just wanted to book his cruise on an earlier sailing because the new extended itinerary would not work with his schedule. A reasonable person would think his request not out of line.

Those who have the same instructions to call on the 17th are paying close attention to a situation like this because we have similar instructions... Call in two weeks and you can talk to someone. Understandable there is going to be a comparison. We are at the mercy of NCL so obviously looking at what others who are at their mercy were offered.

Scares me all the more. OP was shut down because he couldn't take a cruise that was extended two days. What about those who can't take a cruise that was shortened two days and moved up a year? Can only hope the outcome is not the same as op. OP was a passenger who couldn't make the cruise work for him. it's not the same problem but it sure is an indicator of what NCL is able to offer a passenger whose cruise was altered thus valid reason to compare.

RCCL, here I come!

I would pursue this. The change is not due to your efforts, but to the change in the law, and NCL should be willing to make you happy. I would call back and ask again and see if you can move, with price protection and amenity protection, to the earlier week.

You might try seeking out the social media email and emailing them. Perhaps someone can give it here.

Geesh some people are so quick to point out duplicate threads as opposed to HELPING out and hearing out the OP which is what this forum is all about.. helping each other. :rolleyes: SMDH (shaking my damn head )

I think we all understand the OPs frustration, but the rules really are rules. OP may not have considered this a dup, but it really is. Not to mention, as others have said, itineraries do change, cruises are cancelled, etc. It may not seem fair, it may not be fair, but it happens. Most of us have had to deal with this from time to time.

I would pursue this. The change is not due to your efforts, but to the change in the law, and NCL should be willing to make you happy. I would call back and ask again and see if you can move, with price protection and amenity protection, to the earlier week.

You might try seeking out the social media email and emailing them. Perhaps someone can give it here.

Exactly, the cruise is changed due to a change in Federal law. So the issue is not with NCL, but with the government. Would that not be the one responsible to the OP? NCL certainly did not want to make this change. Are they not the victim same as the OP? It is costing NCL extra money to make this change. I think a class action suit against the Federal Government is in order.;)