Passport vs just birth certificate?

becca5

We are hopping on a last minute cruise. Was under the impression we could use birth certificate and drivers license instead of passport. Mine expired in April. I'm getting nervous though. My drivers license is my married name. My birth certificate is obviously my birth/maiden name. Is this going to be a problem or hassle? I'm thinking I may pay the rush fee to renew it. We are cruising sept 18th. I don't want to have to carry my marriage certificate as well.

Without the passport, you'll need the birth certificate (citizenship), drivers license (identity), and marriage certificate (to bridge the two).

This - and hope you don't need to fly home from any port.

There are some assumptions being made here.

The main is that you are on a round trip cruise (closed loop), i.e. Miami to Miami, because those are the only ones that you can use Birth Certificates for.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Yes, closed loop, port canaveral though.

If we aren't planning on getting off the boat except for cocoa cay, is it any better? I won't be wondering around Nassau. Still thinking I should just rush the passport. My husband doesn't have his, it expired a year ago. But his names are the same on his docs.

If we aren't planning on getting off the boat except for cocoa cay, is it any better? I won't be wondering around Nassau. Still thinking I should just rush the passport. My husband doesn't have his, it expired a year ago. But his names are the same on his docs.

It doesn't have anything to do with going into the ports/getting off the ship in ports.

A passport is needed when you board and when you re-enter the country, in this case, at the end of your cruise.

Using a birth certificate at embarkation puts you through extra hoops. Can it be done? Absolutely "yes", if it is a certified birth certificate, you have a valid U.S. driver's license or other form of photographic government-issued I.D.. They may or may not ask for that "bridging" document of your marriage certificate, but better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it!

In Nassau, they want to see your driver's license. Passport absolutely not needed.

We are hopping on a last minute cruise. Was under the impression we could use birth certificate and drivers license instead of passport. Mine expired in April. I'm getting nervous though. My drivers license is my married name. My birth certificate is obviously my birth/maiden name. Is this going to be a problem or hassle? I'm thinking I may pay the rush fee to renew it. We are cruising sept 18th. I don't want to have to carry my marriage certificate as well.

Why don't you want to carry your marriage certificate? You should bring it since it bridges the names on your BC and DL. Although you might not be asked for it, you'll want to have it just in case (we've found that they are a bit stricter in Port Canaveral).

There shouldn't be any problem or hassle.

As long as it's a closed loop cruise you're fine with photo ID and your BC. Bring your expired passport for the heck of it too

The only time a marriage certificate is required is when for example a newlywed books a cruise in their new name and has no official photo ID in that name. You may have seen a video about the Oasis when this happened.

Some say they've been asked for a marriage certificate even though the name on their photo ID and cruise match and BC doesn't. No idea why they ask as it certainly is not required. If it was, it would be asked for every time without question, not just randomly

Never once heard of anyone being denied boarding because they did not produce marriage certificate when they had driver's license photo ID and BC in maiden name

Edited by SeaUs

A bit off topic but I am surprised that with all the government security plans in place, that they haven't changed the rule and required a passport for all international travel. Plane, train, ship, etc. Certainly would make things easier for all!

Shouldn't have any problems using birth certificates, drivers license and marriage certificate. We always use passports, but have cruised almost every time with someone who didn't. Never had a problem, just as fast and easy as passports. Just make sure it's the ORIGINAL or CERTIFIED COPY of the birth certificate. Have watched others bring a photo copy and not get on!!

No big deal. Just bring your marriage cert. Since you are already bring a BC another piece of paper won't matter. Don't know why everyone answers your question with doom. You already know and have passports, and people miss-understand what "rushing" the passport is. All that means, is they will ship it faster. It only gets rushed, once they touch it. Saves maybe a day or two.

Shouldn't have any problems using birth certificates, drivers license and marriage certificate. We always use passports, but have cruised almost every time with someone who didn't. Never had a problem, just as fast and easy as passports. Just make sure it's the ORIGINAL or CERTIFIED COPY of the birth certificate. Have watched others bring a photo copy and not get on!!

Seen lots of people bring the wrong BC. They call home, have someone retrieve it, and then fax it to terminal. That's worse than a copy and is acceptable

I struggled with the same issue, deciding whether or not to get my three teens a passport. For me, it just wasn't worth the risk. I took them to the post office and applied for passports. We received them, with no rush or priority processing or mailing, in three weeks. I can't guarantee that will happen for you, but letting you know you may not have to pay for rush processing should you decide to renew. Mind you, they got new passports, which usually take longer than renewals.

It's been 5 weeks since I sent in my renewal application and my check was cashed and no new passport yet. Finally got an email yesterday saying that my application is being processed. Starting to get a little nervous but I'll give them one more week before calling.

Anyways, I recommend getting your passport and paying for the expedited service. You could also look at doing an expedited passport card.

I just renewed mine and four weeks to the day I got an e-mail that it was being processed, the next morning I got an e-mail it was being mailed. My girlfriend ordered a new passport with expedited service and got it in 10 days.

You don't need a passport, I just find it easier for the plane and ship to show one document. You will be fine with a certified birth certificate, DL, and marriage license. Just make sure it is issued by the state and not a hospital. Some of us older folks have hospital birth certificates.