4 in suite - Luminae?

andnosyd

We are traveling with another couple (not in a suite) and our 2 kids. Our 2 kids, that are toddlers, won't make it through Luminae dinner so we'd just take them to the buffet. Could our other friends take their spot at Luminae since we have 4 booked in the suite anyways? Just curious, not sure we would still go since someone would have to stay back with the kids, but the thought crossed my mind.

No, you will not be able to.

We just got back from a cruise with our family. Four of us were in a Celebrity Suite and five were not. I took (and paid for the five) to go to breakfast one morning, but the rest of the time we ate in the dining room.

We are traveling with another couple (not in a suite) and our 2 kids. Our 2 kids, that are toddlers, won't make it through Luminae dinner so we'd just take them to the buffet. Could our other friends take their spot at Luminae since we have 4 booked in the suite anyways? Just curious, not sure we would still go since someone would have to stay back with the kids, but the thought crossed my mind.

I believe that the OP has a wonderful and thoughtful plan to take the toddlers to the buffet for dinner. Toddlers can be very disruptive to other passengers - and passengers that are paying the extra cost of being in the suites really do not want toddlers whining or even loud happy squealing during what should be a refined dining experience.

You will by paying $50 per person, per night, for them to dine in Luminae===breakfast and lunch are also extra, but not as much as dinner. We recently had this issue when we were in a suite and our friends were not, and they could only dine in Luminae, first, on a space available basis, and second, if they paid the extra fee===they did not think $50 was worth it. There's no such thing as taking the space of your kids, because Luminae is for people in suites only.

If you have the unlimited specialty dining, is Luminae considered one of the specialties?

and on a related question, Can anyone pay $50 and eat there or do you have to be a guest of a suite passenger?

And combining the two questions, what if a suite passenger invited someone's who has has the unlimited specialty package, would it apply there?

Edited by WestLakeGirl

Just as Blu is the assigned dining room for Aqua Class, Luminae is the assigned dining room for Suites, not a specialty restaurant so the unlimited dining package would not apply.

You must be a guest of a suite passenger to dine there for $50 for dinner, less for breakfast & lunch, even if the guest has the unlimited dining package.

That's what we thought but we didn't know, since the rule in BLu is "no guests ever" but the rule in Lumina is "guests but for a fee"

Also Suite passenger can eat in Blu but not the other way around, yes?

You are correct. Guests of someone staying in a suite in Luminae for $50.00 pp and Suite guests can eat in Blu, but aqua class cannot dine in Luminae

Edited by Phxazzcruisers

Isn't OP saying they have paid for 4 people in a suite, which means they get dinner for 4 people in Luminae.

They want to Take 4 people to Luminae for dinner.

yes I know the "rule" is "Dinner for all suite guests occupying the suite", but in reality, they don't scan all 4 sea pass cards, they just ask for room number, see that room has 4 in it and off you go....

I think from a practical perspective, it may work, just show up as a group of 4, show 1 seapass card and in you go to enjoy dinner for 4, which you have paid for. Unless they paid a different fare for youngsters as the 3rd and 4th PAX than they would have for adults as 3rd and 4th PAX, I have no ethical problem with this.

I can see where the OP is coming from, being a solo traveler who often gets ticked off I paid for 2 yet get benefit for one. I say give it a whirl, and report back.

Top add a nit of "real world experience"to this, on my Connie TA this spring, a group of went to Tuscan one night, some on RS who were using their specialty dinner option. One of them didn't go, and matter d let a guest use it and not charge them.

Before suite perks, when I'd sail solo, in specialties, they would give me 4 dinners (when the rule 1 was 2 dinners or 4 per cabin, not 1 or 2 per guest in the suite) so one night I went with 2 friends, and they let them use my 2 specialty dinners leaving me 1 left over.. SO there is in fact precedent for such an arrangement.

Edited by cle-guy

If you have the unlimited specialty dining, is Luminae considered one of the specialties?

and on a related question, Can anyone pay $50 and eat there or do you have to be a guest of a suite passenger?

And combining the two questions, what if a suite passenger invited someone's who has has the unlimited specialty package, would it apply there?

No neither Luminae or BLU count as specialties.

The charge to eat in Luminae must be placed on the Suite guest's seepass account.

No the specialty package wouldn't cover it as Luminae isn't a specialty.

I believe that the OP has a wonderful and thoughtful plan to take the toddlers to the buffet for dinner. Toddlers can be very disruptive to other passengers - and passengers that are paying the extra cost of being in the suites really do not want toddlers whining or even loud happy squealing during what should be a refined dining experience.

Sorry, but they are also paying the 3/4 person rate for those two toddlers to be in a suite, so they have every right to take them to Luminae. EM

Isn't OP saying they have paid for 4 people in a suite, which means they get dinner for 4 people in Luminae.

yes I know the "rule" is "Dinner for all suite guests occupying the suite", but in reality, they don't scan all 4 sea pass cards, they just ask for room number, see that room has 4 in it and off you go....

I think from a practical perspective, it may work, just show up as a group of 4, show 1 seapass card and in you go to enjoy dinner for 4, which you have paid for. Unless they paid a different fare for youngsters as the 3rd and 4th PAX than they would have for adults as 3rd and 4th PAX, I have no ethical problem with this.

I can see where the OP is coming from, being a solo traveler who often gets ticked off I paid for 2 yet get benefit for one. I say give it a whirl, and report back.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm asking. We have paid for 4 in the suite, the price is the same if it were kids or adults, so I feel we have paid for 4 but reality is that we won't get the value of it from our kids at all. Just wasn't sure if faces pop up on the sea card and they verify who stays in the room.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm asking. We have paid for 4 in the suite, the price is the same if it were kids or adults, so I feel we have paid for 4 but reality is that we won't get the value of it from our kids at all. Just wasn't sure if faces pop up on the sea card and they verify who stays in the room.

They generally don't swipe cards, just verify room number.

Also faces don't come up automatically, they have to press some more buttons if they want to see faces, so don't do it very often. Faces pop up on the security kiosks automatically entering and leaving the ship, but not automatically in the F&B outlets

However Michaels Club does get a printout of faces and names and cabins that they refer to at the bar in there.

LOOK AT MY POST AGIAN< I edited with my "real world" exploitation of specialties....

Edited by cle-guy

It's sure worth a try.....only one face pops up on the seapass card...the card holders....what's they worst that could happen? They say, "sorry, no....."

Top add a nit of "real world experience"to this, on my Connie TA this spring, a group of went to Tuscan one night, some on RS who were using their specialty dinner option. One of them didn't go, and matter d let a guest use it and not charge them.

Before suite perks, when I'd sail solo, in specialties, they would give me 4 dinners (when the rule 1 was 2 dinners or 4 per cabin, not 1 or 2 per guest in the suite) so one night I went with 2 friends, and they let them use my 2 specialty dinners leaving me 1 left over.. SO there is in fact precedent for such an arrangement.

So using the above example, you would see no problem with the following:

if you're travelling with a couple staying in a suite and they decide to eat at the buffet (or onshore etc.) instead of Luminae, then as they have 'paid' for those 2 places in the suite restaurant for that evening, you are suggesting that they could 'give you (the non suite passengers)' their 2 spots (similar to you giving your free specialities to friends)? Or perhaps if the men decide to go off ashore/alternative dining/specialty, then the 2 females could use Luminae, even though they are not the 2 guests in the suite (as 2 places have been paid for and they only need to state the cabin number)?

Consequently, this could also apply to Blu dining? I think the poignant question is: are you paying for number of places or specific named guests in these restaurants?

I'm not considering doing the above, but wanted to further explore your comments :).

So using the above example, you would see no problem with the following:

if you're travelling with a couple staying in a suite and they decide to eat at the buffet (or onshore etc.) instead of Luminae, then as they have 'paid' for those 2 places in the suite restaurant for that evening, you are suggesting that they could 'give you (the non suite passengers)' their 2 spots (similar to you giving your free specialities to friends)? Or perhaps if the men decide to go off ashore/alternative dining/specialty, then the 2 females could use Luminae, even though they are not the 2 guests in the suite (as 2 places have been paid for and they only need to state the cabin number)?

Consequently, this could also apply to Blu dining? I think the poignant question is: are you paying for number of places or specific named guests in these restaurants?

I'm not considering doing the above, but wanted to further explore your comments :).

Yes I believe all of these options would be acceptable. I'v paid for dinner for 4 people, it should be up to me to decide which 4 get to use it.

People have paid an UPCHARGE for the use of BLU and Luminae, they are already entitled to as much dining as they wish do in alternate free venues, but have paid extra for the ability to dine in the enhanced venues. So not allowing full use so of 4 meals already paid for, means guests are not getting their value for money if they are denied the privilege.

Would I push the issue should I be denied at the podium, no in the case of 4 people and none of them were me.

Would I push it if I paid for 4, and went myself with 3 others, yes I would, and in fact did when I was in a PH as a solo and was denied bringing a guest to BLU. After a meeting with the HD they agreed that I wasn't getting my value for money having paid for 2 and only getting benefit for one.

I'll leave it to the Crusie-line to determine what policy they wish to enforce or not. Much as they allow non-formal wearing people to dine in MDR on formal nights, It's a rule, yet there are many violations of that rule. Or the beverage package rule where you can't get 2 at a time, yet they allow it when getting bottled water or cokes when leaving the ship in ports.

I feel it's as ethical for me to those the people who get to use the spots I paid for as it would be UNethiclal for the crusie line to deny my use of the meals I paid for.

Edited by cle-guy

Would I push the issue should I be denied at the podium, no in the case of 4 people and none of them were me.

Would I push it if I paid for 4, and went myself with 3 others, yes I would, and in fact did when I was in a PH as a solo and was denied bringing a guest to BLU. After a meeting with the HD they agreed that I wasn't getting my value for money having paid for 2 and only getting benefit for one.

I don't believe X would say anything if you did push it, as I don't think they would want a scene in the restaurant (but that's just my opinion ;)). Definitely food for thought.

I don't believe X would say anything if you did push it, as I don't think they would want a scene in the restaurant (but that's just my opinion ;)). Definitely food for thought.

They DID when I tried to go to BLU. They turned my guest away, then sat me at a table with an empty seat - we had a 6 top, with 5 seats and me staring at the empty seat across from me. I talked to 3 levels of people at BLU before my friend moved on (we had 6 of us, 4 in Aqua, and me and my friend). Maitre' d finally said I had to take it up with Hotel Director. Maybe he thought I wouldn't....but I did.

I took it up with the HD, who gave me $300 OBC and refunded my onboard spend. I'd have been satisfied with that one meal in BLU with my friend. The refunds were a nice touch, but not at all what I felt I deserved or wanted.

Curt, I usually find your posts to be spot on, but I think you are stretching it a bit here. Lumina is billed as a restaurant for Suite Guests Only. All others, not suite guests are subject to a $50.00 pp charge. I would not feel right "giving" our two dinners to a person not in a suite and just letting them use our Suite number. I really think that is stretching and abusing the whole idea of a Suite benefit.

Too many times, on these boards, people are just looking for ways to circumvent the rules to their betterment. This is not like wearing or not wearing formal clothing on formal night. It is apples to oranges..... (as you would say)

I have traveled solo on many cruises myself, and agree that it does not seem fare that I am paying double but only getting the benefits for one. But just because it does not seem fare, I do not look for ways to cheat the system. I understood what I was getting when I booked and I was happy to accept it.

As Valluk says in their post, what about Blu and giving up your spot to non Aqua Class guests. And what about..... One can stretch the rules to so many things so many ways there would be no end.

OK folks, you can yell and scream, but this is just how we feel.....

Edited by Phxazzcruisers