MDR - large or small table

We have been on a few cruises now and have either been on my time dining and chosen a small table, or on our last cruise it was a small table at the seconding sitting.

My family prefer to sit alone, because the potential of being stuck with boring or obnoxious people for 2 weeks.

My thought is that we are missing out on meeting new friends and interesting converstations and advice from people who may have been to that port before.

What do other CC members think ?

We sometimes just travel as a family of 3, and sometimes travel with a group of 7+. If it's just our family, we request to be seated by ourselves at a small table. If we're with a larger group, we have our reservations linked and get seated at a large table.

In 2014, it was just the 3 of us and we got assigned to a table with a couple in their 30s. Turns out they wanted to discuss their religious beliefs and question ours... So from then on, we get seated by ourselves.

We have been on a few cruises now and have either been on my time dining and chosen a small table, or on our last cruise it was a small table at the seconding sitting.

My family prefer to sit alone, because the potential of being stuck with boring or obnoxious people for 2 weeks.

My thought is that we are missing out on meeting new friends and interesting converstations and advice from people who may have been to that port before.

What do other CC members think ?

This just fundamentally isn't true, if you don't get along with your table mates you arrange with the head waite to move tables.

We choose large tables to meet new people, as you mentioned. One cruise we were the only people to show up to a 6 top. We have since had 8 -10 tops and met some great folks and it's nice to share stories about your day and get to know a bit of people's backgrounds. One table mate, for example, was a retired British army engineer, another was a semi-professional poker player, one lady was a lawyer etc etc

We will always choose a large table

I have always chosen a large table. On our last cruise we started out as the only ones (my BF and I) at the table. The next day a couple (from Canada) showed up,then three women walked by we asked them to join our table (they were from England) and to round out our table another couple showed up. The last couple were from Chicago (just like us), retired teacher (just like me) and lived 15 minutes away from us. (small world) To make a long story short we had the best time: dancing, laughing, meeting up at the belly flop contest, seeing the others at the solarium. My BF still calls this the best cruise ever!

We are going on the Allure in April 2016...I am always ready for the next cruise and the cruise friendships they help make the experiences even better.

so far, we have NEVER found our tablemates to be "boring or obnoxious"..everyone is on the cruise to have fun! Get a large table...give it a shot! We love tablemates and look forward to dinner because of the company...it's certainly not because of the food!

Personally I think you are missing out on one of the best parts of cruising.

After 18 cruises we have found RCI does a reasonable job in matching table mates. So I would say go for it.

The biggest issue we have run across is fellow passengers showing up at all. By the third night the head waiter combines tables, problem solved. IMHO They are only strangers for one night. If the conversation goes somewhere you feel uncomfortable we have just once had to just say we feel uncomfortable with this conversation, could we please move on to a different topic?

It's not really fair to compare the MDR to a one night stand at a public restaurant. It's only one meal a day! There are plenty of places and situations where you dine with others. Family style, weddings, excursions where there is a meal served, banquets, etc..

As others have posted, you can always bail out and you will have an amusing story to tell when you get home.

We prefer a large table !!!

Over the years we have met many wonderful people and made some friends we still like to coordinate cruises together from time to time.

Being with others for us makes the whole cruise experience better

give it a try open up and have fun !!!

Never specified.

Have met life long companions we've sailed with again and again.

Been with folks who've never showed up after the first night. (Hope it wasn't us!)

Been with folks (newlyweds-2 couples) left our table and went to another for the balance of the cruise (the other table were friends of our).

We bought their portraits and put them in our pleather gifts.

Then took them to their table along with a note which apologized for whatever behaviour that pissed them off the first night.

Their mouths were open when I left!

:D

Never specified.

Have met life long companions we've sailed with again and again.

Been with folks who've never showed up after the first night. (Hope it wasn't us!)

Been with folks (newlyweds-2 couples) left our table and went to another for the balance of the cruise (the other table were friends of our).

We bought their portraits and put them in our pleather gifts.

Then took them to their table along with a note which apologized for whatever behaviour that pissed them off the first night.

Their mouths were open when I left!

:D

Whatever the case was, you handled yourself in an outstanding manner and probably gave them a story to tell for all time.

During our recent cruise, we had MTD and requested a table for two, as we didn't feel comfortable sitting with strangers. The tables were so close together, however, that we wound up talking with the couple sitting next to us, and ended up hanging out together throughout the rest of the cruise!

On our first few cruises we just let them seat us at random tables. The first and second time we did indeed get seated with the "boring and obnoxious" people, we let it slide. Maybe, we thought, the next cruise would be better.

Nope!

So now we just get a table for two. We don't have to wait for others to be seated; no wait for others to order; and we really like each other!

As someone else posted, on land I wouldn't invite strangers to enjoy our dining experience.

I have never requested a certain size table and just go with whatever size we were assigned. On our Freedom cruise we met two other couples at our pre cruise meet & greet whom we hit it off with and when we boarded the next day the wife of one couple went to the MDR and was able to get is a table for the 6 of us for the week for early dining. On our first cruise there was a couple at our four top table who was only there the first night and we never saw them anymore after that.

Our last cruise with RCI there was 3 of us and we was given a four seater next to the window, which was quite nice, but i felt we missed out on those new friendships and information that more experienced cruisers will have.

Edited by Mark-Sheffield