Most Important Item?

Sharra13

Only a few days away from departure and I'm getting antsy to pack. I think I've got everything covered, but you never know...I wanted to see what your very top most important thing that you'd never go without would be? Or maybe the one thing you'd recommend that a newbie to cruising wouldn't think of?

Your passport of course. You didn't say where you're going, so I'm going to assume it's a European River Cruise. Here's a list of things I've learned the importance of over the years:

1. 3 Copies of all credit cards front and back and passport first page. 1 in each of your bags and 1 at home with someone you trust.

2. a hanging cosmetic bag for your make-up, medications, etc. because no matter who you're going with, the bathroom storage won't be enough.

3. comfortable, broken in walking shoes, a pair of soft flats(ballet slippers) that fold up and weigh nothing for dinner. A rain jacket or anorak (my fav) because it has a hood and pockets. A hoodie in case the heat wave breaks.

4. a first aid bag that contains small bottles of the following: Pain medicine like Advil, day and night cold tablets, Immodium D, Dulcolax, Tums, neosporin, band-aids, gas-x, nasal spray and cough drops, insect repellant wipes. A list of all RX you and spouse need to take and

include OTC drugs you take regularly. Oh, and a TIDE stick (VIP)

5. an extra battery for your camera and don't forget the charger!!! (learned the hard way). Charger for your kindle, ipad, phone or notebook. Don't forget adapters for European plugs. Don't know who you're sailing with so can't say for certain if you'll need it.

6. a few zip lock bags in jumbo, large and small sizes. I pack each day's outfit in a jumbo bag, suck the air out and roll it up. Clothes don't wrinkle and it makes loads of room in the suitcase.

7. a small flashlight or night light for the bathroom. Many ships have a little step into the bathroom so water doesn't go on the floor. It's helpful to be able to see it in the dark.

Things you won't need:

1. dressy clothes or high heels.

2. bathing suit (unless you know your ship has a pool. Most do not.

3. wash cloth, blow dryer, shampoo and conditioner. all are provided unless you're sailing with a European line, then check.

There's probably more and as I begin packing next week, I'll remember what they are, but I think I hit the most important.

Don't forget to pack a smile and a sense of humor! :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

I can probably think of a tons of stuff I wouldn't want to be without... but what comes to mind immediately is my over the shoulder water bottle holder. I like to have fresh water when I'm on tours or walking around especially on a hot day and having a pouch or holder for my water keeps my hands free. (got one on Amazon that is lightweight, insulted and has a zipper pocket for money, wet-ones, etc.)

Edited by pbnjrockette

<Things you won't need:

1. dressy clothes or high heels.>

I always bring a pair of heels for cocktails and dinner on the boat, as I am a high heel fan and DH and I enjoy dressing for evenings aboard. Heeled booties for fall, spring and winter and heeled sandals for summer. And while I do not pack "dressy" as in formal, I always pack a sparkly top (or 3), dressy slacks and an LBD. :)

Your passport of course. You didn't say where you're going, so I'm going to assume it's a European River Cruise. Here's a list of things I've learned the importance of over the years:

1. 3 Copies of all credit cards front and back and passport first page. 1 in each of your bags and 1 at home with someone you trust.

2. a hanging cosmetic bag for your make-up, medications, etc. because no matter who you're going with, the bathroom storage won't be enough.

3. comfortable, broken in walking shoes, a pair of soft flats(ballet slippers) that fold up and weigh nothing for dinner. A rain jacket or anorak (my fav) because it has a hood and pockets. A hoodie in case the heat wave breaks.

4. a first aid bag that contains small bottles of the following: Pain medicine like Advil, day and night cold tablets, Immodium D, Dulcolax, Tums, neosporin, band-aids, gas-x, nasal spray and cough drops, insect repellant wipes. A list of all RX you and spouse need to take and

include OTC drugs you take regularly. Oh, and a TIDE stick (VIP)

5. an extra battery for your camera and don't forget the charger!!! (learned the hard way). Charger for your kindle, ipad, phone or notebook. Don't forget adapters for European plugs. Don't know who you're sailing with so can't say for certain if you'll need it.

6. a few zip lock bags in jumbo, large and small sizes. I pack each day's outfit in a jumbo bag, suck the air out and roll it up. Clothes don't wrinkle and it makes loads of room in the suitcase.

7. a small flashlight or night light for the bathroom. Many ships have a little step into the bathroom so water doesn't go on the floor. It's helpful to be able to see it in the dark.

Things you won't need:

1. dressy clothes or high heels.

2. bathing suit (unless you know your ship has a pool. Most do not.

3. wash cloth, blow dryer, shampoo and conditioner. all are provided unless you're sailing with a European line, then check.

There's probably more and as I begin packing next week, I'll remember what they are, but I think I hit the most important.

Hi, interesting list:)....I have cruised many times over the years,

although this coming April will be my first River Cruise:)...I see in

your signature you have cruised on Ocean liners too. Are the items

on your list what you bring on all your cruises? The reason I ask is

I don't bring many of the items listed when I am cruising on the large

ships so was wondering if I need to change my thought process for

a River Cruise.......I would think not...I am a minimalist so basically

clothing and toiletries are my important items;)...I don't own most

of the electronic items you have listed so they don't go with me.

I don't bring ziploc bags (never have) or flashlights (never have)and

have never brought many of the meds you have listed. I don't know

if I am odd or not......but I have never needed all those meds.

a tip from "left field"

an advantage of today's digital cameras is their ability to hold THOUSANDS of shots ....

imagine losing your camera the last day? OMG .....

SD memory cards are CHEAP now. Rather than one BIG one, use several SMALL ones. Change your card every day. If you lose your camera you lose TODAY ... not the entire cruise!

I learned this the hard way. In film days you lost 24 or 36 shots ... today you can lose the entire vacation.

I actually try to remember to alternate between taking pictures with my camera and with my phone .... low resolution IS better than NO pictures!

(we did Danube, Budapest to Nur' in June ..... LOVED IT ..... hope you have as much fun)

Edited by Capt_BJ

Last year I got a small day pack from Rick Steves that weighs less then a pound and it was the most useful thing I took on our first river cruise. It was a great way to carry two water bottles, rain gear if a long excursion, a snack or two from the ship if needed and to put any items purchased during excursions. What makes is unique is that it weighs almost nothing and takes up no space in the suitcase unlike a normal back pack. I was in a luggage shop today at the mall and they have them there as well.

1. Plenty of adapters to go from 220V Euro to 120V USA. Most ships have a few US style outlets, but adapters allow you to plug in more stuff.

2. SIM card for your smartphone loaded with at least 1GB of data (buy this the minute you land in each country where you'll tour). Wifi on the ships is crap, so this is backup. Most countries will have these available for $10-$20, which disappears in the overall cost of the trip. This will make Google maps and navigation available for those casual walks into town from the ship. It also makes Google Translate available anywhere, which is an enormous aid when traveling to countries where you're uneasy with the language.

3. Simple small, front-pocket wallet to put a credit card or two and local currency into - pickpocket-deterrent enough for my needs without resorting to a money belt.

My smartphone has all my credit card and passport information on it, which I also load onto Dropbox so I can retrieve it onto other devices wherever wifi is available.

1. Plenty of adapters to go from 220V Euro to 120V USA. Most ships have a few US style outlets, but adapters allow you to plug in more stuff.

bought 'em never used 'em .... always found the outlets I needed

2. SIM card for your smartphone loaded with at least 1GB of data (buy this the minute you land in each country where you'll tour). Wifi on the ships is crap, so this is backup. Most countries will have these available for $10-$20, which disappears in the overall cost of the trip. This will make Google maps and navigation available for those casual walks into town from the ship. It also makes Google Translate available anywhere, which is an enormous aid when traveling to countries where you're uneasy with the language.

Again ... never needed ... talked to my carrier b4 I left and a month of Europe access added to my iPhone was $20

3. Simple small, front-pocket wallet to put a credit card or two and local currency into - pickpocket-deterrent enough for my needs without resorting to a money belt.

My smartphone has all my credit card and passport information on it, which I also load onto Dropbox so I can retrieve it onto other devices wherever wifi is available.

sounds like a poor plan if you lose your phone . . . if they can break your phone

Edited by Capt_BJ

Hydrokitty,

So funny; the first thing I thought of you mentioned - 'a sense of humor'. Sure does help when things go awry. ;)

I take many of the same things you do, but I will add two travel-size umbrellas. We have cruised at different times of the year and have used those little umbrellas at least once every cruise! I carry a string backpack off the ship with our complimentary waters and the umbrellas (forget about sharing with my hubby, he will inevitably poke me in the eye!). They are lightweight and I can forget about them, if the day clears, but I have them if I need them. Yes, the ship does have umbrellas for the passengers' use, but they are large and cumbersome and get in the way of other passengers.

Becki

The toiletries on river cruises are high quality. You will always be near a town or soon, so you can always buy whatever you may need while touring. They even hand out water, and on rainy days, umbrellas.

Bring sunblock and a sunhat and sunglasses when traveling during the summer. If you have Euro coins from previous trips don't forget those.

Don't forget a watch so you know the time, but that's an obvious one.

River cruises are very stress free.

Your passport of course. You didn't say where you're going, so I'm going to assume it's a European River Cruise.

Hydrokitty: It's in my signature, but you can't see it if you are on the mobile site. We are doing the Romantic Danube with Viking (our first EVER cruise).

Thanks for the tips! Most of these I have on my list already but didn't think about the hanging door bag. :)

I can probably think of a tons of stuff I wouldn't want to be without... but what comes to mind immediately is my over the shoulder water bottle holder. I like to have fresh water when I'm on tours or walking around especially on a hot day and having a pouch or holder for my water keeps my hands free. (got one on Amazon that is lightweight, insulted and has a zipper pocket for money, wet-ones, etc.)

This is an AMAZING idea!! Thank you! I always have to have water on me and hate to carry it around. We got these little rubber mickey mouse bottle clips from Disney one year that you hang from your belt or purse (or whatever) but it tends to be wonky.

a tip from "left field"

an advantage of today's digital cameras is their ability to hold THOUSANDS of shots ....

imagine losing your camera the last day? OMG .....

SD memory cards are CHEAP now. Rather than one BIG one, use several SMALL ones. Change your card every day. If you lose your camera you lose TODAY ... not the entire cruise!

I learned this the hard way. In film days you lost 24 or 36 shots ... today you can lose the entire vacation.

I actually try to remember to alternate between taking pictures with my camera and with my phone .... low resolution IS better than NO pictures!

(we did Danube, Budapest to Nur' in June ..... LOVED IT ..... hope you have as much fun)

Great point. I already bought a second SD so we can switch out, but didn't get one for every day. I'll take your advice and make sure the hubby get's some iphone shots while I do the camera so we have a little on each.

Last year I got a small day pack from Rick Steves that weighs less then a pound and it was the most useful thing I took on our first river cruise. It was a great way to carry two water bottles, rain gear if a long excursion, a snack or two from the ship if needed and to put any items purchased during excursions. What makes is unique is that it weighs almost nothing and takes up no space in the suitcase unlike a normal back pack. I was in a luggage shop today at the mall and they have them there as well.

Hmmm, will check it out!

<Things you won't need:

1. dressy clothes or high heels.>

I always bring a pair of heels for cocktails and dinner on the boat, as I am a high heel fan and DH and I enjoy dressing for evenings aboard. Heeled booties for fall, spring and winter and heeled sandals for summer. And while I do not pack "dressy" as in formal, I always pack a sparkly top (or 3), dressy slacks and an LBD. :)

Since I can no longer wear heels of any kind and I'm short, I look kind of ridiculous in a dress. :D I always bring a pair of black and/or white jeans and a lacy or sparkly top (or 3) too. I have a LBD but only wear it to funerals. :D

Hi Lois: I do bring pretty much the same items when I'm on ocean or river cruise. The meds I bring, in smallest size available, I have used on several occasions. Possibly because we're usually gone 15 days or more, but we almost always catch colds and the Coricidin gel caps are a lifeaver. The others are all things that at one time or another I have had to buy on vacation so I

have them in a small cosmetic case that goes in my suitcase and it's there if I need it. The little flashlight is DH's idea since he did trip going into the bathroom on our first cruise. Talk about odd (and you're not), I'm a collector and I find the zip lock bags keep things like shells in one piece...I also use them if I buy "goodies" on shore to keep them from breaking and/or making a mess in my cabin. I'm not talking about a box of each here, I'm talking about 2 or 3 of each size and I do use them.

Host Jazzbeau raises the point that if you're staying in a hotel pre or post trip you should probably bring a wash cloth. I have a bright pink and a bright blue one (so I can easily spot them on my way out the door) but to be honest lately I have found that more and more European hotels are providing them. Especially the 4-5 star ones. But it's always better to bring one than to need one.

We have one adapter (just in case) though from what I have been reading on the boards over the last few months I think we should be OK.

I also went to ATT today and added a special international plan that will get us through the trip! I don't think you can do the SIM card thing with iphones...? I'm not sure.

Dropbox is an interesting idea.

If you are staying at a hotel in Europe before or after your cruise, you will need to bring washcloths.

Seriously?! Wow, I would have never know that. Thanks! We do have a pre-stay in Nuremberg. Weird. Just washcloths, but not towels, right?

Seriously?! Wow, I would have never know that. Thanks! We do have a pre-stay in Nuremberg. Weird. Just washcloths, but not towels, right?

Yes, just wash cloths...for some reason they use what we call a hand towel as a face cloth.

Hydrokitty,

So funny; the first thing I thought of you mentioned - 'a sense of humor'. Sure does help when things go awry. ;)

I take many of the same things you do, but I will add two travel-size umbrellas. We have cruised at different times of the year and have used those little umbrellas at least once every cruise! I carry a string backpack off the ship with our complimentary waters and the umbrellas (forget about sharing with my hubby, he will inevitably poke me in the eye!). They are lightweight and I can forget about them, if the day clears, but I have them if I need them. Yes, the ship does have umbrellas for the passengers' use, but they are large and cumbersome and get in the way of other passengers.

Becki

Hi Becki....yup, great minds do think alike! :D I don't bring the umbrellas, that's DH's job because I'm the one who's likely to turn the innocent umbrella into a serious weapon. I have an LLBean backpack that I use as my carry on whenever I travel and if we're going to be off the ship for a full day I'll bring it with me for things like water bottle, cough drops, advil and tissues...of course, new stuff that I buy! I leave it on the bus when we're walking.

bought 'em never used 'em .... always found the outlets I needed

Again ... never needed ... talked to my carrier b4 I left and a month of Europe access added to my iPhone was $20

sounds like a poor plan if you lose your phone . . . if they can break your phone

Just goes to show all of us apparently have different priorities. Boats I've been on have not always had the right plug in the right place, and the adapters take up little room.

As for "sounding like a poor plan" - it's all password protected, but sure it's possible to access copies of my passport and credit card. Just like if they took the originals out of my pocket. What's the difference?

Finally - adding Europe access to your cell service for $20 a month? Who's your provider? Sounds like I might need to switch.

We have one adapter (just in case) though from what I have been reading on the boards over the last few months I think we should be OK.

I also went to ATT today and added a special international plan that will get us through the trip! I don't think you can do the SIM card thing with iphones...? I'm not sure.

Dropbox is an interesting idea.

Yes, you can switch SIM cards in an iPhone. And the Apple stores in Europe make it easy to do; the cell providers might charge you to set up the foreign SIM, but the Apple store will be happy to do it gratis in our experience.

Not sure about ATT rates, but we found foreign data roaming charges per GB to be exorbitant, and I don't like to be data-limited when I need directions or translation help. For folks who just want emergency backup, of course, the foreign roaming might be the best way to go. But I really want to know who will give international roaming for a fixed charge of twenty bucks a month! Haven't heard of that one anywhere but from Capt BJ here.

Just goes to show all of us apparently have different priorities. Boats I've been on have not always had the right plug in the right place, and the adapters take up little room.

As for "sounding like a poor plan" - it's all password protected, but sure it's possible to access copies of my passport and credit card. Just like if they took the originals out of my pocket. What's the difference?

Finally - adding Europe access to your cell service for $20 a month? Who's your provider? Sounds like I might need to switch.

Hey Max...the difference about storing your stuff on line in a password protected site and being pick-pocketed? It's easier with less chance of being caught! :D

You can get a $20 plan from Verizon for Europe. It's pretty basic, but it will give you what you need.