Most Important Item?

Sharra13

I always bring a mostly used up roll of Duct tape for mending torn luggage or ripped anything. I've ended up needing this on most every cruise.

Also one pad of sticky notes to leave notes to cabin steward for special requests or what you need done and also to leave notes to each other.

A strong magnet. The walls on ships usually have metal studs, and we hang up the day's bulletin / daily on the wall so it's easy to refer to.

All these items I've picked up over the years from fellow CruiseCritic posters.

As a follow-on to the points on camera cards above, our first shot on every new card we have is a shot of our contact information, in case we loose it. We invite the finder to keep the camera but to mail the card back to is. Of course, the next few shots are of the luggage we are taking on the trip. This has proved useful on more than one occasion.

Enjoy your trip!

This is a brilliant idea....and I will do it before I leave....in 2 weeks!!!!

Sticky notes! Great idea, never in a couple hundred days at sea have I ever had the need for Duct tape? Maybe I have been very lucky and I'm due for a big mishap [emoji16]

Never thought of sticky notes...I use them at home, but on the ship I use paper napkins unless there's a note pad. I've never had a use for the duct tape, although I remember years ago being advised to bring a roll when staying in a hotel because (don't hurt yourself laughing) you could use it to tape the doors and windows in case of a fire! Side story: we were in a Holiday Inn in upstate NY when some moron set fire to his room with a cigarette. I was in the shower with my knee length hair piled high with shampoo when DH banged on the door and said GET OUT NOW...I threw jeans and sweatshirt over my soapy body, grabbed my purse (we could smell but not see smoke) and ran outside, where it was 10 below zero and the firemen let us huddle in the stairwell next to the door. Anyway, my point is, duct taping the doors and windows was the last thing on my mind!!! As for suitcase repairs, every time my suitcase has been damaged (2x) it's been totaled and I had to drop my vacation and buy a new one so why bother. :D

I always, always have zip lock bags with me. They are so useful for so many things I can't think of all the uses I have found for them over the years. I put a bunch of various sizes in one of those huge ones.

And I never go anywhere with out my tiny LED flashlight.

I am trying to think back over the years of cruising and can't even

think of any reason I needed a ziploc bag. Never bring them with me.

As for my laptop? It stays home. Stickey notes? I sail solo so there

is nobody for me to write a note to;)....if I need something in the cabin?

I will speak to my cabin attendant in person:D

Guess I am just very low maintenance.

Don't think I would travel without ziplock bags of ALL sizes. They take up no room in an outside pouch of a suitcase. have used them for leftover food, dirty or wet clothes, small stones, shells or seaglass, to keep things organized in a purse or backpack, to keep a camera dry in the rain (cut a slit and you can still take photos) and about a gazillion other things.

Have used duct tape only once to repair a rip on a carry-on bag. I wrap a generous amount of duct tape around a pen and it takes up much less room than a roll of tape plus the pen is useful!

A friend just got back from a 3 week European trip and told us about a product that someone brought on the trip. Ez-towels. They look like a large pill. Add water and it expands to a 6 x 10" rayon towel. It is good to keep with you for whatever occasion. I just ordered some from Amazon that I'll be taking with me to France.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I

A strong magnet. The walls on ships usually have metal studs, and we hang up the day's bulletin / daily on the wall so it's easy to refer to.

Awesome! I was wondering about that. I have magnetic clips that I take on ocean cruises and I wondered if the river cruise ships would be the same,

I just keep them in my suitcase - not just for cruising

Dirty laundry

Anything wet - swimsuits, my shower scrunchy, make up brushes after I wash them

Snacks - especially in Bermuda!

Extra camera cards

I put ice in them if I want to keep something cold (or to ice down swollen feet)

I keep Clorox/Lysol wipes in them (you never know when you might need one)

I keep my vitamins in them - better than bulky bottles.

I put anything that might leak in them - sunscreen, marker pens, toiletries

If it's raining, I'll keep them in my bag to keep stuff dry, and to put the wet socks when I change into dry ones (I hate wet feet!)

Tissues if you don't want to carry a whole pack - I need my tissues!

I use them as waterproof bags for my electronics.

I would never travel anywhere without my zip locks - there's probably a dozen more things I've forgotten. I also never travel without my laptop. I don't consider that maintenance - it's a necessity! As is my Nook and iPod! Don't leave home without them!

We actually bring many zip loc bags. Why?

We've used them should (it's always me) sprain something or do something dumb needing ice and it's easier with the zip loc. A few days before boarding ship in London a few weeks ago I hit my head in the bathroom on the towel holder and having the zip bag made life easier.

Sometimes we use them when taking food off the ship (in certain ports where it is permitted) where we take some items off for lunch if we are on a private tour and don't have time to stop. For example, even grapes.

Ming you my wife always brings a lot of bags both zip and the regular kind.

Keith

I just went to Costco and got several size Zip locks... From very large to sandwich size, I like the ones that actually gave the zipper they last longer. I put them in the outside pocket along with my dozen "cheap white" dry cleaner hangers that weigh nothing. The beautiful wooden hangers on cruise ships take up to much precious hanging space and are noisy if empty and clang together at nite if not in use. A girl can never have too many hangers, especially if I have to share with DH [emoji33]. Then I

throw them away at the end of the cruise.

I too have shopped for a replacement suitcase twice, once in Bejing and once in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. I highly recommend both of those adventures! Both bags beautiful and amazingly cheap for "Genuine" Louie Vuitton cases [emoji5]️

Ps replacement would actually be the wrong term.... Let's just say after a few days of shopping I needed an extra bag!

Edited by JVilleGal

I just went to Costco and got several size Zip locks... From very large to sandwich size, I like the ones that actually gave the zipper they last longer. I put them in the outside pocket along with my dozen "cheap white" dry cleaner hangers that weigh nothing. The beautiful wooden hangers on cruise ships take up to much precious hanging space and are noisy if empty and clang together at nite if not in use. A girl can never have too many hangers, especially if I have to share with DH [emoji33]. Then I

I too have shopped for a replacement suitcase twice, once in Bejing and once in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. I highly recommend both of those adventures! Both bags beautiful and amazingly cheap for "Genuine" Louie Vuitton cases [emoji5]️

Ps replacement would actually be the wrong term.... Let's just say after a few days of shopping I needed an extra bag!

I've done the bazaar in Istanbul and it is truly one of life's best adventures! I had to replace a bag in Kiev at an underground mall that I swear was half the size of Manhattan...nobody spoke English and we stuck out like sore thumbs...finally a young girl asked us in English if we needed help and then took us to the luggage store, negotiated the price of the piece we needed and walked us back to the exit nearest our hotel. All she wanted was "to practice English on somebody"....so we took her to lunch. This was just before the Russian invasion and I pray every day that she's ok.

We actually bring many zip loc bags. Why?

We've used them should (it's always me) sprain something or do something dumb needing ice and it's easier with the zip loc. A few days before boarding ship in London a few weeks ago I hit my head in the bathroom on the towel holder and having the zip bag made life easier.

Sometimes we use them when taking food off the ship (in certain ports where it is permitted) where we take some items off for lunch if we are on a private tour and don't have time to stop. For example, even grapes.

Ming you my wife always brings a lot of bags both zip and the regular kind.

Keith

I haven't used them as ice packs on trips...at home yes, all the time....I like the original zip locks better...sometimes the zippered ones leak...and I use them for the same things CyberKat does....including taking food like fruit off the ship to snack, loose kleenex/toilet paper (Egypt, Russia) and a wet wash cloth from the ship..

I just keep them in my suitcase - not just for cruising

Dirty laundry

Anything wet - swimsuits, my shower scrunchy, make up brushes after I wash them

Snacks - especially in Bermuda!

Extra camera cards

I put ice in them if I want to keep something cold (or to ice down swollen feet)

I keep Clorox/Lysol wipes in them (you never know when you might need one)

I keep my vitamins in them - better than bulky bottles.

I put anything that might leak in them - sunscreen, marker pens, toiletries

If it's raining, I'll keep them in my bag to keep stuff dry, and to put the wet socks when I change into dry ones (I hate wet feet!)

Tissues if you don't want to carry a whole pack - I need my tissues!

I use them as waterproof bags for my electronics.

I would never travel anywhere without my zip locks - there's probably a dozen more things I've forgotten. I also never travel without my laptop. I don't consider that maintenance - it's a necessity! As is my Nook and iPod! Don't leave home without them!

Like I said before....great minds think alike!!! Only place we disagree is the laptop. I bring my Kindle Fire and android phone but I leave the lap top home...Interestingly my oldest just returned from a conference in Europe and was told to remove her laptop from her checked suitcase because the airline would not replace it if stolen and they were having a problem with theft at JFK. My laptop is the largest screen size available, so it's too heavy to lug around. Besides between the kindle and the phone there's nothing I can't do, if I know how of course.

Interestingly my oldest just returned from a conference in Europe and was told to remove her laptop from her checked suitcase because the airline would not replace it if stolen and they were having a problem with theft at JFK.

That is good advice at all times and for all airports.

Most airlines exclude cover for electronics and valuables in check luggage.

If you are staying at a hotel in Europe before or after your cruise, you will need to bring washcloths.

Rather than washcloths I use large men's handkerchiefs. Buy a 3 pack for very little $, they dry in about 15 min and are soft-for removing make-up. Can also be used for head coverings in churches or for protection from the sun.

Carole

I use the snack size zip locks to organize euros. If paying for pvt tour I isolate the amt into a separate snack size zip lock. Label each one ie car svc /airport transfer/ tour day 1 etc

That way I only grab the bag needed foe the day and the others stay in the safe.

Carole

I use the snack size zip locks to organize euros. If paying for pvt tour I isolate the amt into a separate snack size zip lock. Label each one ie car svc /airport transfer/ tour day 1 etc

That way I only grab the bag needed foe the day and the others stay in the safe.

Carole

I did that my last trip. It worked great. Another hint for ziplocks is place everything for the safe inside a ziplock and you won't leave anything behind.

Carole

I used to do that but now I use the small plastic bags that are sold in the crafts section at Walmart. I have three sizes from very small to very large. They are cheap to purchase and there are a lot in each package.