Most Important Item?

Sharra13

Those of us what don't use wash cloths at home do just fine ;-) But it is true that in many places around the world that is not a standard room linen.

I don't think there is anything you would need specifically for a river cruise you wouldn't pack for any other vacation. I have a standard packing list and I just adjust to destination and temp....

Seriously?! Wow, I would have never know that. Thanks! We do have a pre-stay in Nuremberg. Weird. Just washcloths, but not towels, right?

I still can't figure out how they do it, but Europeans seem to be able to take a shower without (a) a washcloth or (b) a shower door that covers more than 1/2 of the shower. Airline baggage limits prevent me from packing a shower door (floor just gets soaked ;)), but I can pack a washcloth. [Our first cruise started in Barcelona and -- surprise -- no washcloth in the hotel; it ended in Rome -- same story, but by then Oceania had unknowingly supplied two!]

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I also travel with several SD cards for my camera. The first photo on each SD card is a photo of a piece of paper that says:

This camera is property of

My Name

Address

Phone number

I also travel with several adapters because the older ships do not have as many 110 outlets as the newer boats have.

I also carry a travel alarm clock.

Since river cruises have free wi-fi, I always bring my laptop and transfer my pictures to it each evening. [i also bring a couple of SD cards, but that's just "belt and suspenders."]

I always pack one Euro adapter plus a Belkin 3-Outlet/2-USB Mini Travel surge suppressor -- sometimes there's only one usable outlet in a cabin.

We don't pay Verizon for an Intl plan on our phones, because texts are cheap. We just tell everybody that the priority order for messages is (a) email, (b) text, © call the ship [life or death only].

Then since we have our iPhones with us, the Alarm Clock problem is solved (also Night light). My iPhone also has backup documents and credit card information, and since it never leaves the cabin, theft is not an issue.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Yes, you can switch SIM cards in an iPhone. And the Apple stores in Europe make it easy to do; the cell providers might charge you to set up the foreign SIM, but the Apple store will be happy to do it gratis in our experience.

Not sure about ATT rates, but we found foreign data roaming charges per GB to be exorbitant, and I don't like to be data-limited when I need directions or translation help. For folks who just want emergency backup, of course, the foreign roaming might be the best way to go. But I really want to know who will give international roaming for a fixed charge of twenty bucks a month! Haven't heard of that one anywhere but from Capt BJ here.

On our recent river cruise (we were gone from home for one month), DH was able to purchase a 30 day international plan on his iPhone (through AT&T) that included 120MB of data, unlimited texting, and phone calls for $1.00 a minute. We got it just for the texting, but he did use a little of the data. They had different plans available.

Forgot to put - plan was $30 for the 30 days.

Edited by Shmoo here

copies of credit cards....we put in carry on NOT checked luggage but do put the full itinerary in outside pocket of luggage in case someone might read it if our luggage is lost.

We take a small multi-outlet plug http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1439685983&sr=8-3&keywords=travel+multi+outlet

Book light. On some ships the reading lights in bed are bad...Viking Longships were perfect!!!

Bubble wrap I know that dirty laundry works too!

Binoculars

Hand sanitizer and I also usually have a wipe and extra TP in a zip

lock

Although we rarely have used the OTC meds, I always pack them: first aid stuff including tweezers and a needle for splinters. When traveling in under developed countries we always leave the medications etc. with someone we have identified as able to donate or put to good use.

Rain poncho or light rain parka

Know when your last tetnus shot was administered

It looks like we are all different people:D.....I have read lots of packing

lists on many forums,....including the fashion forum here on CC and

since I usually sail with Celebrity, I am over there quite often too.

I don't bring wash cloths with me and don't plan to this cruise either.

I don't bring adapters and I guess I am one of the few people left

who doesn't own a smart phone.:eek:

Max, I agree with you, we all have different priorities.....I don't even

always bring a camera on my crusies. Now, maybe I will for this

trip but it is not something that is a priority for me anymore. I used

to take pictures like crazy but it is just not something that matters

alot to me anymore.

When I mentioned bringing my own toiletries? I meant travel size....

tootbrush and toothpaste, floss and deodorant......nice to know the

cruiseline has shampoo. As for a sun hat? I am going in April and so

I doubt I will need one.

Like I said, looks like we all have our "what is important to me" items.;)

I still can't figure out how they do it, but Europeans seem to be able to take a shower without (a) a washcloth or (b) a shower door that covers more than 1/2 of the shower. Airline baggage limits prevent me from packing a shower door (floor just gets soaked ;)), but I can pack a washcloth. [Our first cruise started in Barcelona and -- surprise -- no washcloth in the hotel; it ended in Rome -- same story, but by then Oceania had unknowingly supplied two!]

I know... and all the finest hotels have these quarter panel shower doors..with no handle of any kind, have you ever tried to grab that sucker?....I wind up using every towel on the floor to keep from falling on the wet ceramic tile!!! I think every cruise line afloat has provided a wash cloth and box of kleenex to an American guest.

We don't pay Verizon for an Intl plan on our phones, because texts are cheap. We just tell everybody that the priority order for messages is (a) email, (b) text, © call the ship [life or death only].

Then since we have our iPhones with us, the Alarm Clock problem is solved (also Night light). My iPhone also has backup documents and credit card information, and since it never leaves the cabin, theft is not an issue.

In reality, what I'm paying for is the constant wifi connection so I can use my map aps and find things like restaurants and the way back to the ship. I use my kindle when I'm on board because Vantage's wifi is pretty good and I tell the kids the same thing...send a fb message if it's really important and call the ship only if it involves death. I have my medical information on my kindle and on my phone but nothing that would enable someone to hijack my identity. I never thought of using the phone as a flashlight, but now for a stupid question: when you use the phone as an alarm clock does it use up the battery?.... because the phone has to be on, right?

Edited by Hydrokitty

Those of us what don't use wash cloths at home do just fine ;-) But it is true that in many places around the world that is not a standard room linen.

I don't think there is anything you would need specifically for a river cruise you wouldn't pack for any other vacation. I have a standard packing list and I just adjust to destination and temp....

Thanks for your post.....:) I will pack as I normally do then....except

maybe for a few more long sleeved tops....seem as though this part

of the world (Amsterdam, Belgium, Netherlands) might be on the cooler

side in April:D.....so I will bring more warmer clothes. But all the other

"extra's"......those are not for me.

In reality, what I'm paying for is the constant wifi connection so I can use my map aps and find things like restaurants and the way back to the ship... I never thought of using the phone as a flashlight, but now for a stupid question: when you use the phone as an alarm clock does it use up the battery?.... because the phone has to be on, right?

Maps: download CityMaps2Go and you can get a complete set of off-line maps for your trip -- no need for a wifi connection (except you don't get point to point directions or "where am I" info) [we are also bringing our TomTom loaded with the France map for serious direction-finding during the driving phase of the trip]

Alarm Clock: doesn't seem to use much battery -- we plug it in on waking and it's back to 100% by the time we leave the ship

Flashlight: I have several free flashlight apps. The two I use are: Flashlight by Rik [uses the camera flash as a constant flashlight], and Magnifying Glass with Light by Falcon in Motion [uses both camera flash and camera to magnify restaurant menus -- brilliant!]

Seriously?! Wow, I would have never know that. Thanks! We do have a pre-stay in Nuremberg. Weird. Just washcloths, but not towels, right?

Towels are provided but washcloths often are not. I bring some scrubbies and then just leave them behind. And if we are staying in a three star hotel or an inn, I bring old washcloths and leave them behind.

Maps: download CityMaps2Go and you can get a complete set of off-line maps for your trip -- no need for a wifi connection (except you don't get point to point directions or "where am I" info) [we are also bringing our TomTom loaded with the France map for serious direction-finding during the driving phase of the trip]

Alarm Clock: doesn't seem to use much battery -- we plug it in on waking and it's back to 100% by the time we leave the ship

Flashlight: I have several free flashlight apps. The two I use are: Flashlight by Rik [uses the camera flash as a constant flashlight], and Magnifying Glass with Light by Falcon in Motion [uses both camera flash and camera to magnify restaurant menus -- brilliant!]

Thanks..I check those apps out...I have city maps but I am looking for turn by turn...I have gps in my car which I'll never get again...did you know Toyota gets $500 minimum to update it? I can by a Garmin at the big box store for $100 and update it on line.

Thanks..I check those apps out...I have city maps but I am looking for turn by turn...I have gps in my car which I'll never get again...did you know Toyota gets $500 minimum to update it? I can by a Garmin at the big box store for $100 and update it on line.

We've never paid the car mfr for navi -- we love the 6" TomTom -- but our rental in Spain was free upgrade to BMW 5 series and their built-in navi was quite good [cultured British female voice: "Prepare to turn right in 2 km;" "turn right in 500 m"; "please turn right" -- that "please" always got me!]

I know one item I always bring:).....a small/medium size lightweight

crossbody bag that I use for excursions so I am sure that will get

a lot of use on this cruise for sure:D

a tip from "left field"

an advantage of today's digital cameras is their ability to hold THOUSANDS of shots ....

imagine losing your camera the last day? OMG .....

SD memory cards are CHEAP now. Rather than one BIG one, use several SMALL ones. Change your card every day. If you lose your camera you lose TODAY ... not the entire cruise!

I learned this the hard way. In film days you lost 24 or 36 shots ... today you can lose the entire vacation.

I actually try to remember to alternate between taking pictures with my camera and with my phone .... low resolution IS better than NO pictures!

(we did Danube, Budapest to Nur' in June ..... LOVED IT ..... hope you have as much fun)

I agree, but... I have several cards and I download them each night to my laptop, and I keep the SD cards.... Actually, I may only download them every other day. So, a couple of days, copy the SD card to the hard drive, put the cards in another bag. The next day new card, repeat. I try not to use the same card twice that way I have two copies when I get home. I actually think the pictures are the single most important souvineer.

Most restaurants in Europe, charge your card for the bill total. You don't put the tip in the machine, so if you want to tip it needs to be in cash. So, always get some local currency if only for tips.

jc

Yes, just wash cloths...for some reason they use what we call a hand towel as a face cloth.

And that is a problem??? Heck, If I need a washcloth and I only have a bath towel, I will use a bath towel then ask house keeping for another...

I am not bringing a washcloth.

jc

I hope you are beyond the statue of limitations on wash cloth theft.:D:eek:

jc

[quote=Lois R;47447917

I don't bring wash cloths with me and don't plan to this cruise either.

......nice to know the cruiseline has shampoo.

AMA provides lovely toiletries - the brand is Hydro - including bath gel, shampoo, conditioner, soap, vanity kit and a small tube of Bogner hand cream that is perfect for taking with you for use during the day. I love the brand (great quality and with a light, clean scent) and it is one of the few times I travel that I pack almost none of those basic items. The hand cream is a really nice touch as I always have a tube with me and I don't have to bring it from home.

You will never lack for towels and wash clothes and AMA's power showers are fab! There is also a clothesline in the shower that is very convenient for hanging up items to dry.

1. Plenty of adapters to go from 220V Euro to 120V USA. Most ships have a few US style outlets, but adapters allow you to plug in more stuff.

Take care with that one, most adapters will let you connect a USA style plug to a European socket, but they will not do anything about converting the voltage to 110V.

Most modern chargers for your devices will handle a wide voltage range so check the small print on the charger for confirmation.

Some corded appliances you may bring with you may not handle anything except 110V and for those you need the correct power which is provided in some ships/hotel, or a voltage converter which are not so easy to buy.

Edited by Mark_T

AMA provides lovely toiletries - the brand is Hydro - including bath gel, shampoo, conditioner, soap, vanity kit and a small tube of Bogner hand cream that is perfect for taking with you for use during the day. I love the brand (great quality and with a light, clean scent) and it is one of the few times I travel that I pack almost none of those basic items. The hand cream is a really nice touch as I always have a tube with me and I don't have to bring it from home.

You will never lack for towels and wash clothes and AMA's power showers are fab! There is also a clothesline in the shower that is very convenient for hanging up items to dry.

Good morning Kim:) thanks for the information. Sound like perfect

scent to me:D....clean......

Take care with that one, most adapters will let you connect a USA style plug to a European socket, but they will not do anything about converting the voltage to 110V.

Most modern chargers for your devices will handle a wide voltage range so check the small print on the charger for confirmation.

Some corded appliances you may bring with you may not handle anything except 110V and for those you need the correct power which is provided in some ships/hotel, or a voltage converter which are not so easy to buy.

Valid point here. Most things we need to plug in work equally well on 110 or 220, but it's smart to double-check.

As a follow-on to the points on camera cards above, our first shot on every new card we have is a shot of our contact information, in case we loose it. We invite the finder to keep the camera but to mail the card back to is. Of course, the next few shots are of the luggage we are taking on the trip. This has proved useful on more than one occasion.

Enjoy your trip!

Hi Sharra13

You're travelling Viking, so you'll have three US plugs and 3 Euro plugs in your room (one Euro used to charge QuietVox).

There's a nightlight in the bathroom at floor level.

-Towels big soft and fluffy, one large, one small, and one what I call a face flannel, about 6 inch square. Replaced each morning and evening. Hairbrush & drier supplied, plus sets of toiletries.

-Bottled water handed out when leaving ship on trips, and available on coaches.

a tip from "left field"

an advantage of today's digital cameras is their ability to hold THOUSANDS of shots ....

imagine losing your camera the last day? OMG .....

SD memory cards are CHEAP now. Rather than one BIG one, use several SMALL ones. Change your card every day. If you lose your camera you lose TODAY ... not the entire cruise!

This is one of the reasons I take my laptop. It's an Ultrabook so it's slim and lightweight. Each night, I take the card out of my camera and load the pics onto the laptop. This way I have 2 copies of every precious picture!

The little flashlight is DH's idea since he did trip going into the bathroom on our first cruise. Talk about odd (and you're not), I'm a collector and I find the zip lock bags keep things like shells in one piece...I also use them if I buy "goodies" on shore to keep them from breaking and/or making a mess in my cabin. I'm not talking about a box of each here, I'm talking about 2 or 3 of each size and I do use them.

I always, always have zip lock bags with me. They are so useful for so many things I can't think of all the uses I have found for them over the years. I put a bunch of various sizes in one of those huge ones.

And I never go anywhere with out my tiny LED flashlight.