Most Important Item?

Sharra13

Back tithe original question--- most important thing to take---money. Be it credit and/or debit card, cash ( available at ATM's worldwide, in the currency of the country you are visiting) if you have adequate funds on you then you can buy what you forgot,if it is really a necessary item.

But what is most important? A

willingness to roll with the punches. Accidents will happen, tours can cancelled, water level can be high or low, tonight's dinner might not be your cup of tea, it rains, its too hit or too cold, and a million more other inconveniences. If you approach each situation like its a new adventure, then you and your traveling companions will all have a better trip. There are few things worse than sitting at a combined dinner table and listening to people complain about every little thing. My DH and I try to live by this on vacation, then we take a couple day at home to wind down. Attitude is everything.

Back tithe original question--- most important thing to take---money. Be it credit and/or debit card, cash ( available at ATM's worldwide, in the currency of the country you are visiting) if you have adequate funds on you then you can buy what you forgot,if it is really a necessary item.

But what is most important? A

willingness to roll with the punches. Accidents will happen, tours can cancelled, water level can be high or low, tonight's dinner might not be your cup of tea, it rains, its too hit or too cold, and a million more other inconveniences. If you approach each situation like its a new adventure, then you and your traveling companions will all have a better trip. There are few things worse than sitting at a combined dinner table and listening to people complain about every little thing. My DH and I try to live by this on vacation, then we take a couple day at home to wind down. Attitude is everything.

Along with a sense of adventure and the ability to switch from lemons to lemonade ;)

Poconolady, thanks:).....what is important to some folks is not important

to other people.

I got the feeling since ziplock bags are not important to me, folks think

there is something wrong with me:eek:

I agree with the MONEY answer though:D and I definitely agree with

"rolling with the punches"......things happen all the time. Since I have

no traveling companions, I can control the things for me;)....cruising

gives me such wonderful anticipation and looking forward to this

first visit to all these countries/cities and my first River Cruise:D

I asked DW specifically wrt our river cruise portion of our trip (we did QM2 on the same trip)

"sunscreen"

the night we were packing I handed her sunscreen (I do not burn easily, she does) and she said "won't need it" ..... burned the first day of course . . . (altho we live in Florida she's not 'outdoorzie' and a full day exploring Budapest did a number on her.)

DAMN sunscreen was expensive in Europe (or we bought it in the wrong place) ... but YES, it was needed even if not on the beach ....

WRT wash cloths ... I just use the smallest towel available . . . In the hotels on our trip I just thought EU liked BIG wash cloths!

And I never go to sleep in a 'strange place' without my trusted MiniMag flashlight on the bed side table. You never need a good flashlight until you need one BAD.

Edited by Capt_BJ

Poconolady, thanks:).....what is important to some folks is not important

to other people.

I got the feeling since ziplock bags are not important to me, folks think

there is something wrong with me:eek:

I agree with the MONEY answer though:D and I definitely agree with

"rolling with the punches"......things happen all the time. Since I have

no traveling companions, I can control the things for me;)....cruising

gives me such wonderful anticipation and looking forward to this

first visit to all these countries/cities and my first River Cruise:D

Sorry you got that feeling..those of us who use them were merely pointing out what they can be used for...I don't think anyone was implying that there's something wrong with you because you don't use them. OP asked what items we considered necessary and got a huge response....some common, some not and a few that were brilliant.

I still can't figure out how they do it, but Europeans seem to be able to take a shower without (a) a washcloth or (b) a shower door that covers more than 1/2 of the shower.

The rest of the world is still wondering why Americans can't take a shower without taking the hand towels in there with them and why they can't seem to keep the water inside the shower either :)

... and don't get me started on toilet seat covers :)

Our most important item would probably be anti-viral hand sanitizer.

You'll often find anti-bacterial sanitizers in use on board, but these are no help if there is a virus going around. Less common on river cruises than ocean cruises due to reduced numbers of people, but still a must-have in our opinion.

Lots of great ideas, and thanks for the suggestions. But as for OP's question, the top of my list is a good pair of walking shoes. Never brand new, already broken-in.

I can probably think of a tons of stuff I wouldn't want to be without... but what comes to mind immediately is my over the shoulder water bottle holder. ...(got one on Amazon that is lightweight, insulted and has a zipper pocket for money, wet-ones, etc.)

Can you point me to what style you got? Does it hold a standard small bottle, or does it hold a proprietary bottle? This sounds like a good idea, especially in Egypt where we'll be in October.

I also travel with several SD cards for my camera. The first photo on each SD card is a photo of a piece of paper that says:

This camera is property of

My Name

Address

Phone number

This is also an excellent idea, I'm going to do that!

As for carrying small SD cards for each day, I don't think I'll do that--it's not very cost effective. I will get a couple of new ones and swap them back and forth. I rarely take a laptop on a trip, so the SD cards have to last, but my current one, which is 16G, lasted for almost two years, on trips to SE Asia, Portugal, Barcelona, etc. A 32G card of the same quality costs C$22 while the 16G is around C$15. Anything smallerl than that doesn't make any sense at all.

Wow, thank you for all of the responses you guys!! I've been reading away and making notes to my packing list as I go, as well as adding things to my Amazon shopping cart, haha.

I've been on the boards for a few months now and trying to pay attention and note things of import, but am very glad I posted this as well--definitely learned some new things here! :)

Wendy the Wanderer...

This is the bottle water holder I got from Amazon. I have the 1.5 L holder as the description is NOT true to size. (The 1L is not 1 liter ... it holds the size of a normal water bottle) The 1.5 closes completely over smaller bottles and can hold larger bottles. There is a small zipper compartment that can hold a few tissues or wet-ones (great for those "potty" stops) or loose change. Not big enough for a cellphone.

http://www.amazon.com/Bluewave-Water-Bottle-Carrying-Holder/dp/B000Q694G4/ref=sr_1_1?&ie=UTF8&qid=1439765777&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+wave+water+bottle+holder

I also have one similar to this one that is just cloth (not insulated) that can be stuffed in a pocket. http://www.amazon.com/ChicoBag-Bottle-Sling-Bag-Pouch/dp/B00CWTRVOK

I take a LOT of pictures on my trips and always use several SD cards. The 8GB (class10) cards are currently 6.99 @ Amazon. (29.99 for 5) A great deal and can save you the loss of some wonderful memories!

Sorry you got that feeling..those of us who use them were merely pointing out what they can be used for...I don't think anyone was implying that there's something wrong with you because you don't use them. OP asked what items we considered necessary and got a huge response....some common, some not and a few that were brilliant.

Thanks for the reply:)...sometimes "tone" is so hard to read on the

internet:eek:....guess I misread those postings.....

I'm another ziploc baggie lover. The snack size holds pills. Any cosmetic item that may spill goes into one of the bags, too.

Keeping a sense of humor. Yes things can go wrong but roll with the punches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. 3 Copies of all credit cards front and back and passport first page. 1 in each of your bags and 1 at home with someone you trust.

Don't forget to pack a smile and a sense of humor! :D

As an additional backup in case you are totally robbed or can't get off the Costa Concordia fast enough, email a copy of all these documents to yourself. So worst case at the police station or the embassy you can log into your email account and pull up all the documents.

SD memory cards are CHEAP now. Rather than one BIG one, use several SMALL ones. Change your card every day. If you lose your camera you lose TODAY ... not the entire cruise!

The other nice thing is this really helps you organize everything when you arrive home.

And my tip, rather than lots of adapters, bring a 6' extension cord, particularly if you will be staying in a hotel. You will only have to stretch for inaccessible outlet once, and you can plug 3 items into the other end of the cord. No additional adapters required!

Like I said before....great minds think alike!!! Only place we disagree is the laptop. I bring my Kindle Fire and android phone but I leave the lap top home...Interestingly my oldest just returned from a conference in Europe and was told to remove her laptop from her checked suitcase because the airline would not replace it if stolen and they were having a problem with theft at JFK. My laptop is the largest screen size available, so it's too heavy to lug around. Besides between the kindle and the phone there's nothing I can't do, if I know how of course.

I have a Nook tablet and an iPod - but I don't like using them for computer stuff. I need a bigger screen and a keyboard - especially the keyboard! I keep a sort of journal when I travel so I remember things we did and saw. I also load my pics onto the laptop at night. Mine is an Ultrabook with a 13 in screen. It's actually thinner than the tablet, and very light weight.

I got a great PacSafe slash resistant backpack with an RFID section. It has slots for the laptop, iPod and Nook, and I also had my cameras in it. I sling it on my back and it feels very light, even with all that in it.

Although this isn't exactly an "item"... it's the use of "Packing cubes" to carry everything in my suitcase. Everyone has their own special way of packing from rolling clothes, to using plastic bags, to each outfit in an individual bag or ziploc... I prefer using Packing Cubes---particularly the Rick Steve's mesh ones. I can pack underwear, nightgown and socks in a really small one (they expand wonderfully) and everyday shirts/blouses in another, Pants/sweater go in a larger one. I now have several different types (ebags has a great assortment) so they fit well together. What I love is NOTHING is loose in my suitcase---EVER! Works best when we are moving from hotel to hotel and have no more than a night or 2 in any one place but on a cruise I just toss each cube in a drawer and I know where everything is. Even my small items--clips, sunscreen, notepad, etc goes in a cube or envelope... no digging for loose items. FINALLY have convinced hubby to travel this way!

https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/packing-cubes

Although this isn't exactly an "item"... it's the use of "Packing cubes" to carry everything in my suitcase.

I am a packing cube addict and do not even make a weekend trip without them.

I have accumulated quite a collection, from small sizes (cables, socks, etc.) to large (jeans, pants) and everything in between. Not only do they keep me organized, but I take them out as is and place them on closet shelves and in drawers and live from them for the duration. For me, it keeps me very organized.

Another advantage is that they keep me from overpacking. I set out my cubes for a particular trip and that is all I allow myself to take.

I have given quite a few sets to friends who travel as gifts and they use and appreciate them as well.

I also love my packing cubes and sleeves as well. I get my Eagle Creek fix from Sierra Trading Post at a substantial discount..

Becki

I saw both packing cubes and packing bags but thought they were a little pricey...then I saw the jumbo zip lock bags and they work really well for me. I do what you guys do too, pack complete outfit from skin out for hotel nights, including pajamas.. so I don't have to unpack my suitcase, just grab the bag and put it in the drawer...and after I'm dressed in the morning the clothes I wore the day before go into the bag with the pjs and I'm ready to walk out the door.

Our most important item would probably be anti-viral hand sanitizer.

You'll often find anti-bacterial sanitizers in use on board, but these are no help if there is a virus going around. Less common on river cruises than ocean cruises due to reduced numbers of people, but still a must-have in our opinion.

I second that... Most river boats have hand sanitizer units at the door(s) into the dining room, but I prefer my own brand. And - like to have some in my purse if I stop to eat at a restaurant, or pick up a snack along the way.

Always pack bubble wrap and/or tissue to pack breakables. Takes up little space - and very little weight.

I also take a spare set of glasses. Keep them in my carry on - and then don't take them out of my suitcase - but know they are there if I need them. I would be completely at a loss if mine broke.

Fran

I second that... Most river boats have hand sanitizer units at the door(s) into the dining room, but I prefer my own brand. And - like to have some in my purse if I stop to eat at a restaurant, or pick up a snack along the way.

Always pack bubble wrap and/or tissue to pack breakables. Takes up little space - and very little weight.

I also take a spare set of glasses. Keep them in my carry on - and then don't take them out of my suitcase - but know they are there if I need them. I would be completely at a loss if mine broke.

Fran

Yes, extra glasses or contacts is a must! I'm pretty blind without them and even keep an extra pair in my car in case of emergency. I've never lost or broken them so far, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Great idea on tissue paper, though I usually just use clothes. :)

Fran

Ditto on the glasses...although it's been so long since I've used the spare set, I wonder if I could still see out of them!! I also bring my own hand sanitizer and carry it with me everywhere...I have to grip a handrail when doing stairs and I use it after I get where I'm going!

I love colored glass and much of what I buy is either shipped or taken in my back pack, so I use bubble wrap...I have a whole box full in my basement from when we remodeled and I may as well use it. :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

We have a bunch of pill baggies (can get at any drug store, big box store) My husband packs his daily vitamins, allergy pills (nothing prescription) in these and labels them by day to make sure he's packing what he needs. He also includes a dental pick (he has a permanent inside retainer that make floss difficult) So he can carry his daily pills in his pocket when he's out & about. And the used bags have found uses over time too - when we got new sim cards in Germany, we put our US cards in the bag inside another container to keep them easier to find. We gave one to a friend who lost a stone from an earring (again, to keep it easier to find inside another container).

Sure, snack size ziploc work, but (esp for my husband) these smaller sizes are the Goldilocks "just right" that he was after.

As I stated earlier, nothing I'm noting is something I would consider "river cruise" specific - rather, what we pack when we travel. I bring nylon shopping bags (ours cost 1E at Monoprix- I adore them! And they pack to nothing but carry a great deal!) I do usually have various size ziplocs, and if we think we might carry back beer (as we often do) we will pack wrapping foam (we have foam instead of bubble wrap as that's what my husband uses in his business and brings home, plus it tends to pack a little flatter than bubble wrap does).

If I'm checking a bag, I'll bring a corkscrew, but having had a couple confiscated (by TSA in the US and also overseas) I'm wary about bringing one in a carry-on bag, because even when it should be ok, sometimes it isn't. And if I have a $2 cheapie, no worries, but I lost one that I really loved because it should have been ok, but DCA TSA confiscated anyway:mad:

Hoyaheel,

I found those "pill" baggies at the Dollar Tree. 50 for $1. I have to take my few pills in the AM b/f eating, so take them in the cabin/hotel room, but my hubby takes his with b'fast, so like your's, he likes the size of those bags for his vitamins & pills in his pocket.

Becki

Hoyaheel,

I found those "pill" baggies at the Dollar Tree. 50 for $1. I have to take my few pills in the AM b/f eating, so take them in the cabin/hotel room, but my hubby takes his with b'fast, so like your's, he likes the size of those bags for his vitamins & pills in his pocket.

Becki

Ok I'm going to have to check these out....I have a dollar tree near by and 50/$1 is cheaper than zip lock snack bags.. we have same situation, his are before eating, mine are after eating...:D