Grab a porter to get you bags when you disembark

We used at porter at Port Canaveral last month and had a great experience also! Cheating???? Don't see that at all. They are there to do a job and they do a great job!!! Helped us tremendously. There were 6 traveling and the benefit of having all the luggage on a cart was just as great as him assisting us thru the customs line!

PC doesn't have a porter line unless it was just implemented lately and I always use a porter and yes I do throw him a measly $20 but I don't expect him to cut in front of everyone for me. I have patience and respect for others. All you people rush to get on and get wait to get off unbelievable.

PC doesn't have a porter line unless it was just implemented lately and I always use a porter and yes I do throw him a measly $20 but I don't expect him to cut in front of everyone for me. I have patience and respect for others. All you people rush to get on and get wait to get off unbelievable.

You must have missed all the posts in this thread about people using the porter lane in PC both in the new terminal and the old one. I used it this past March. Not cutting in front of anyone as they have their own separate line.

You must have missed all the posts in this thread about people using the porter lane in PC both in the new terminal and the old one. I used it this past March. Not cutting in front of anyone as they have their own separate line.

No YOU must of not read them all I was there in May.

We used at porter at Port Canaveral last month and had a great experience also! Cheating???? Don't see that at all. They are there to do a job and they do a great job!!! Helped us tremendously. There were 6 traveling and the benefit of having all the luggage on a cart was just as great as him assisting us thru the customs line!

No YOU must of not read them all I was there in May.

Somehow I think that it is you that did not read all the posts.:rolleyes:

I really don't see that as cheating. It's a service that you get if you wan to pay for it. Just like Diamond level guests who have spent much money with RCCL get a special lounge and drink coupons. Suite guests get reserved seats at the shows and special lines for check-in and embarkation, head of the line for tenders, etc. First-class airline passengers get on first and get bigger seats. TSA has a trusted traveler program that allows you to skip the long airport security liens and keep your shoes on if you're willing to pay for an extra background check. Even the proletariat on Southwest can get better seats by paying for Early Bird Checkin. It's the way the world works - if you are willing to pay more, you get better services.

Now, I would NOT expect this service to allow these guests to break rules, i.e. not have to pay taxes or be able to get contraband past customs. But not having to wait in line? Yes, to some people, that will be worth a little extra cash.

I don't need a porter. Where's the pay to butt line line?

I have been cruising since the early 80's and the use of a porter for a quick exit was well known. Back then it was rumored that the porters split their tips with the custom agents. Again, only a rumor.

Well I will continue to "cheat" then. :rolleyes: I just wished I knew that 20.00 I gave him meant he would take our bags all the way to the vehicle in the parking garage for us. I saw many Porters doing that at PC once I went to get my vehicle.

Well I will continue to "cheat" then. :rolleyes: I just wished I knew that 20.00 I gave him meant he would take our bags all the way to the vehicle in the parking garage for us. I saw many Porters doing that at PC once I went to get my vehicle.

We ALWAYS use a porter, ALWAYS stand in line and they have always taken our luggage to our car with no idea how much tip they are getting at the end. We have never seen a special line for porters. We feel guilty that the porter has to stand in line with us. We tell them so but they insist on doing it and seem happy to. They insist on helping with carry ons that we are carrying as well.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

As a newbie cruiser - where are the porters? Are they there waiting as soon as you walk off the ship? I have to get on the road as early as possible that morning and will be self disembarking early as I can. Anything that can speed up the process sounds good to me.

Another thing I thought of...is this any different from using curbside check-in at the airport? I can go inside and deal with the kiosks, then wait in line to check my bags, or I can walk up to the curbside desk, flash my ID and get my boarding cards and check my bags in seconds, and of course I tip the guys a few dollars per bag for this convenience. Am I thus cutting in line ahead of all those people waiting inside the terminal?

As a newbie cruiser - where are the porters? Are they there waiting as soon as you walk off the ship? I have to get on the road as early as possible that morning and will be self disembarking early as I can. Anything that can speed up the process sounds good to me.

They're in the luggage area. You can't miss them.

Thanks for this valuable tip. Will do on our OCT FOS cruise.

We had no problem with long custom lines on Freedom at Port Canaveral. We had an 8:30 departure for a post cruise excursion, and had no trouble making it.

Recently disembarked Oasis at PE and no porters to be found! I was with my family and we had a ton of bags and all the porters were forced to stand in the regular line. It took us hours to get through to customs and I was about to collapse. Some guy ahead of me dropped his unsecured duffle bag on my arm. I can't see how the porters can make a living wage if they make them stand in the regular line. At best, they could only get through twice for a single disembarkation. Who can live on $40 a day?

It took us hours to get through to customs

Wow! - Hours to get through to customs. Things must have gotten really worse in the last couple of months. How many hours did it take you? I assume just about everyone missed their flights.

Edited by yogimax

Wow! - Hours to get through to customs. Things must have gotten really worse in the last couple of months. How many hours did it take you? I assume just about everyone missed their flights.
Soon to be on cruise #5 this year and as in my previous post have never ever stood in line that long debarking the ship....:confused:

Just doing the self disembarking will save you tons of time as the lines will not be long at that time. We always do self disembarking except we didn't a few weeks ago in San Juan. That will be the last time doing that. They lost one of our bags (later to be found and brought to us at the airport two hours later) and after waiting 20 minutes in line (easily could have been a 2.5 hour long since they only had 4 customs people working for the 4 thousand people getting off the ship) we got a porter and made it through customs 30 minutes later. They did have their own line. Learned our lesson though.

sure it's cheating. You are butting the line by coughing up cash

It is a service you are paying for. If you want it, pay for it. If you don't, stand in line. Big flipping deal. Money talks. That's life.

Do you pay the porter to handle your bags when you get out of your car? That way you don't have to schlep them all over creation until cabins open. Have you ever paid a valet to park your car in a busy garage? In bad weather? Same thing. You are paying for a convenience. If you pay for a pricey bottle of wine at dinner because you think it enhances your experience, same thing. Should everyone have to drink the same wine? Wear the same clothes? Nope. If you want to pay for it, who cares?

Another thing I thought of...is this any different from using curbside check-in at the airport? I can go inside and deal with the kiosks, then wait in line to check my bags, or I can walk up to the curbside desk, flash my ID and get my boarding cards and check my bags in seconds, and of course I tip the guys a few dollars per bag for this convenience. Am I thus cutting in line ahead of all those people waiting inside the terminal?

Great analogy.

I believe it is. I don't fly international very often, but is there a porter to help you get to the front of line when waiting for immigration or customs inside the airport. I don't recall seeing that. I'm not talking about something like global entry though. Just curious

We ALWAYS use a porter, ALWAYS stand in line and they have always taken our luggage to our car with no idea how much tip they are getting at the end. We have never seen a special line for porters. We feel guilty that the porter has to stand in line with us. We tell them so but they insist on doing it and seem happy to. They insist on helping with carry ons that we are carrying as well.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Have you cruised out of the brand new Terminal 1 yet in PC? While its all connected and under roof, it can be a LONG walk to the car depending on what deck you have to park on. Our porter seemed to want to drop our stuff at the pick up curb yet some the rest were carrying luggage all the way to vehicles in the parking garage.

I too had never really noticed a separate line for Porters until I cruised out of Terminal 1. There was definitely a separate line and it was moving MUCH faster than the lines that didnt have Porter assistance. The Porters were even telling everyone "If you want out of here quickly, you better get one of us"

Edited by ryano