Guarantee W Suite question

Cheffiecruiser

Did they offer you a cabin and compensation?

Celebrity Cancelled my CS by mistake which I booked 1 year ago. I had to book a suite guarantee today at prevailing rates. Oh no, I hope we will not be shafted twice:(

I hope it works out!

Hearing these stories is quite concerning. Celebrity moderator better take notice as if these types of issues continue, customers will move to different lines.

If this happened to us, I would be done with celebrity

We've heard 11 PLUS couples were booted out of guaranteed cabins on the Venice to Rome Cruise August 30. We appear to be one of them. Something is seriously wrong with Celebrity's algorithm for booking and accepting guarantees!

Apparently their definition of "guarantee" does not match what we think it does.

What did they offer you in exchange for the trouble? If you rejected that, what they did they offer next?

We have had a guarantee on our Celebrity cruise out of Venice since February and were just informed Friday, 5 days before flying to Europe, that we were cancelled DESPITE our having a GUARANTEED cabin. We NEVER book guaranteed but this was the only way Celebrity would accept our reservation in February and they NEVER said we'd be booted, especially this close to sailing. They offered other cruises in exchange but we've done them all and will only refund any payments made through them. Our hotel in Venice is not covered nor are the excursions we booked in advance through outfits like AP Tours and Tours by Locals.

This is unacceptable. We've had them cancel entire cruises but it's been a year out. But 5 days before the cruise and just cancelling a "select" few! If this happened to me I would never sail with them again. Although we are elite+ we have been sailing with other lines more and more. We never thought we'd make elite on Princess but it seems more and more likely.

I am so sorry this has happened to you.

Cynthia

We've heard 11 PLUS couples were booted out of guaranteed cabins on the Venice to Rome Cruise August 30. We appear to be one of them. Something is seriously wrong with Celebrity's algorithm for booking and accepting guarantees!

I'm really shocked they did this to you. I would be very disappointed and angry if it happened to me. I'm not sure what calculations they make when assessing guarantee cabin sales, but they got it wrong here. Big time! I hope you manage to get something else arranged.

Phil

Not sure if the Celebrity Official would post in here as suggested, but hopefully they will do. I note the Azamara equivalent is much more active on that board...

If you have been allocated a room through a GTY booking, are you still at risk of losing it? Or is it only those yet to have their room allocated?

Can I ask 2 questions? What is a W suite? And I always thought that once a company had accepted your booking - let alone final payment! - that you had a binding contract with them. Is this not the case in the US? How can they get away with taking your money and having the use of it for a few weeks and then say 'sorry, no room for you'??!!

Can I ask 2 questions? What is a W suite? And I always thought that once a company had accepted your booking - let alone final payment! - that you had a binding contract with them. Is this not the case in the US? How can they get away with taking your money and having the use of it for a few weeks and then say 'sorry, no room for you'??!!

W is the booking code for a suite guarantee, as X is for a verandah.

And yes, you have a valid point about it being a binding contract. I wonder if it says anything special about guarantee bookings?

I have always thought 'guaranteed' would mean just that. You are guaranteed a specific room type on a specific sailing. You get it cheaper because you could end up with the worst room in the category, Celebrity get the flexibility of moving people around....

It was bad enough when we read someone booking a suite could not have a suite but to have no room at all - totally unacceptable.

It would be nice to hear what Celebrity's response is. Is this an isolated glitch or should people with guarantee rooms consider them like standby air fairs where they will get you on the next available cruise!

If you have been allocated a room through a GTY booking, are you still at risk of losing it? Or is it only those yet to have their room allocated?

I would certainly hope that it's only if you don't have a cabin allocated. And while it is very unfortunate that this happens (and I will be on the cruise with philly.gal in a few hours), it is worth noting that this is a very rare occurrence. Still, it should never happen.

Good question.

Perhaps someone that has a lot of experience with GTY's could let us know their experience.

I've just read the Booking conditions from beginning to end. To sum it up - a Guarantee booking is just that. There are no ifs or buts - you are guaranteed to be allocated a room of at least the standard that you have booked. The weasel words come in section 5.5, where they say that they may, rarely, have to alter or cancel your booking and reserve the right to do so. However in that same paragraph they talk about 'significant changes' and give examples of these. Nowhere does it mention bumping you off in order to improve their profit line!

Now I'm no lawyer, but I would have thought they would need to have an EXTREMELY good reason to cancel your holiday and that offering too many cabins for sale does not come into that category. It's their fault pure and simple. It's not like airlines that have no shows every day! In the circumstances I think I might be inclined to actually seek legal advice, as only an idiot would mess with my long looked forward to holiday!

It is logical to assume that a Gty W or any Gty is no different than any other booking. Celebrity should keep making move over offers to all cruisers in that category until someone accepts.

I assume that philly.gal may have found the offer of another cruise unacceptable and received a full refund and a free cruise in AC accept for the taxes and port charges. It certainly seems like although it was a negotiation it was not optional therefore certainly different than a move over option.

Since others are now reporting the same problem with Gty W I wonder if Celebrity has a "bug" in their system that allows this to happen. Reported 11 on one cruise? Doesn't even seem possible.

Personally I would not be booking a Suite GTY unless I was hoping for a free cruise in another category. If I had a Suite Gty I would accept a free cruise in another category and a transfer to a Royal Suite on another cruise of my choice. That would be a good move over offer.

I do feel bad for those affected. I certainly hope my non GTY bookings are not affected as I would be very disappointed.

Since others are now reporting the same problem with Gty W I wonder if Celebrity has a "bug" in their system that allows this to happen. Reported 11 on one cruise? Doesn't even seem possible.

Personally I would not be booking a Suite GTY unless I was hoping for a free cruise in another category. If I had a Suite Gty I would accept a free cruise in another category and a transfer to a Royal Suite on another cruise of my choice. That would be a good move over offer.

I do feel bad for those affected. I certainly hope my non GTY bookings are not affected as I would be very disappointed.

I'm not sure if the poster who stated the 11 parties on their cruise who had booked guarantees had all booked W (suite) guarantees, or some other category. Really doesn't matter which type category of guarantee, but something has surely gone haywire.

I always thought that W beside any cabin meant it was wait listed, meaning none available but if one comes up you would get it.

:eek::eek: I would be gutted!!! We've never booked a guarantee BUT as we are newly retired and live in FL - so after working our way through some bucket list cruises where cabin selection is important - we were planning to give some last minute, guarantees a try. WERE. I would be a nervous wreck to try it after reading this. :mad:

I'm not sure if the poster who stated the 11 parties on their cruise who had booked guarantees had all booked W (suite) guarantees, or some other category. Really doesn't matter which type category of guarantee, but something has surely gone haywire.

Sorry. They may not have all been suite W, but that is even worse. I fear that perhaps Celebrity is going after the GTY instead of booked cabin move over offers. It certainly seems like something significant has changed.

We have had a guarantee on our Celebrity cruise out of Venice since February and were just informed Friday, 5 days before flying to Europe, that we were cancelled DESPITE our having a GUARANTEED cabin. We NEVER book guaranteed but this was the only way Celebrity would accept our reservation in February and they NEVER said we'd be booted, especially this close to sailing. They offered other cruises in exchange but we've done them all and will only refund any payments made through them. Our hotel in Venice is not covered nor are the excursions we booked in advance through outfits like AP Tours and Tours by Locals.

This is the second time we've been booted by Celebrity. Another time our whole ship was chartered by a private group and we were offered a different week to cruise with just some perks to compensate us. Thank heaven we live in Florida and didn't fly down to cruise. However, we had several weeks notice so that helped. This time it's been 5 days! We'll never book a guaranteed cabin again.

Cindy, let us know if Celebrity honored your booking. We have never booked a guaranteed, but I'm heartbroken for you. Can't believe they will cancel a cruise where you have to fly to a different continent so close to the departure date. Hope everything works out for you and Larry.

This is the second time we've been booted by Celebrity. Another time our whole ship was chartered by a private group and we were offered a different week to cruise with just some perks to compensate us. Thank heaven we live in Florida and didn't fly down to cruise. However, we had several weeks notice so that helped. This time it's been 5 days! We'll never book a guaranteed cabin again.

I just read that you are back on for this cruise. Awesome news!!

SO happy for you!!! :D

Edited by cadburysmom

We booked a W GTY the day before final payment was due and were assigned in an S1 the next day. We were able to switch cabins a couple times within the category. Hope you get a nice upgrade!

Are we able to switch, looks like we are underneath the Cafe. How were you able to switch?

Are we able to switch, looks like we are underneath the Cafe. How were you able to switch?

I looked at cabin availability, saw a cabin that I desired more than the one I as assigned and called the cruiseline (had booked directly with them). Told them I was in cabin X and wanted cabin Y that was showing available. It was simply an exchange from one cabin to another in the same category. If you booked with a travel agent, you will need to go through them.

So, because we used a TA, we can't see cabin availability? Also, it's showing part of our go better package. Should it be showing the onboard credit, the gratuities and internet as well as the bev package? Sorry for all the ???, things have changed since our last cruise.