Concerned about the poor reviews of Britannia

kfowinst

Your last statement says more about the ill mannered people and rude people that use P&O rather than a criticism of Britannia. I am convinced that in time those reviews figures will rise there was just as many poor reviews about Arcadia, Ventura (especially) and Azura in their maiden cruise season and we really enjoyed Britannia on the maiden cruise and heard very few "moans" and those that did I think just love to moan which P&O seem to attract more than any other cruise line.

Sadly I do agree. The ill mannered people who stand at the front of the lift and try to stop it being filled to capacity and those who press the "door close" button as soon as the doors open and press both "up" and "down" buttons to call the lift.

We tend to use the stairs so on the Britannia we always headed towards the stairs and left the centre lift alone.

The comment about people stopping wheelchairs getting into the lifts doesn't surprise me. In Tallin the first person in the queue was a wheelchair user who couldn't get on the bus as all the other passengers had pushed on. When the next bus came he was still at the front of the queue. I tried to hold back the passengers as they pushed and shoved their way on. They even took up the front seats and refused to move. Disgusting behaviour. ... and they say other nationalities don't queue.

Agree with the comments regarding Britannia not feeling any bigger than Azura / Ventura

Having spent almost a month on both ships I didnt think Britannia felt any bigger then Azura / Ventura - In fact ( to me ) it felt like it had the same layout...

Sadly when I was on Britannia wheelchair users were not allowed in the lifts by other passengers eager to get their seat in the crows nest etc.... even when asked if anyone would be prepared to vacate the lift to allow the chair in people just looked away and closed the doors. If this was just one lift maybe they could manage but believe it or not this was lift after lift. All I can say is that I hope they are never ill and confined to a chair because then they will learn the difficulty of getting to a toilet, back to your cabin, get access to your medication etc. when you are unable to walk unaided and rely on the generosity of others to enable your basic needs to be met.

We have not been on Britainnia as yet but we were on Royal Princess last month which is the same design.

We too have been on both Ventura and Azura and did not find it much larger except for the atrium which is much better.

The main complaints in the reviews for the Royal are the same as Britannia regarding the lack of central stairs although it didn't really affect us and we didnt hear many complaints onboard.

It wouldn't put us off going on Britainnia or the other Princess ships with the same design again.

have to say if more people used the stairs like we do, instead of clogging up the lifts, it would be so much better. Even on Oriana, I see people going down one floor and they are perfectly capable of walking. It's a shame because others who have mobility problems can't get in the lift.

have to say if more people used the stairs like we do, instead of clogging up the lifts, it would be so much better. Even on Oriana, I see people going down one floor and they are perfectly capable of walking. It's a shame because others who have mobility problems can't get in the lift.

Appearances can be very deceptive. Just because people look mobile and able to use stairs doesn't necessarily mean they are perfectly capable of walking instead of using the lifts. My wife suffers from painful knees but mostly you would never know it from the way she walks. Using the stairs sets off the arthritis and if she used the stairs she would spend the rest of the holiday in agony. She therefore chooses the lift and in a free society paying a substantial amount for a cruise why shouldn't she?

Ill informed posts such as that above are really unnecessary.

Edited by whoops

Have to take issue with your badly informed comment, which appears to be based solely on a biased visual, and not an informed medical diagnosis.

I have knee problems.

Although it appears one is "perfectly capable of walking" as you afirm, same being "comfortable" to a point on a flat surface, it is the use of stairs which causes great discomfort.

How do you know that someone is "perfectly capable of walking" ? My husband looks perfectly fit and well but he has a serious heart condition and although we invariably walk down the stairs he is unable to walk up more than 1 flight. We had just returned from ashore to the Britannia when the lifts were switched off because they were testing the back up electricity supply and we had to go up one flight and then rest for 5 minutes before he could tackle the next flight, we ended up having to stop and go to sit in Brodies until the power was restored so that we could get back to our cabin, he then spent the rest of the day unable to do anything.

DO NOT ASSUME THAT JUST BECAUSE YOUR EYES TELL YOU SOMETHING THAT IT IS FACT.

Appearances can be very deceptive. Just because people look mobile and able to use stairs doesn't necessarily mean they are perfectly capable of walking instead of using the lifts. My wife suffers from painful knees but mostly you would never know it from the way she walks. Using the stairs sets off the arthritis and if she used the stairs she would spend the rest of the holiday in agony. She therefore chooses the lift and in a free society paying a substantial amount for a cruise why shouldn't she?

Ill informed posts such as that above are really unnecessary.

Same here. My wife has a particularly nasty bit of arthritis in her left knee. It doesn't stop her going to the gym, swimming, or even going to spin classes. However, although she can walk down stairs with only mild grating, she does suffer a lot of pain going up stairs.

Until we go on Britannia in December, we won't know how the lift problem is going to affect her ability to get around the ship - especially going to higher levels. We'll have to wait and see.

regarding the difference between reviews of Britannia and reviews of S class ships on X.

our last two cruises were on Silhouette and we are currently on Britannia.

just a note to say if you use the tool to break down Britannia's reviews you will see that older people have the majority of negative reviews. they are the ones most affected by the lift/ stair issues. the second point is that there are far fewer members of cc from the UK so the reviews can be dominated by a smaller subset of people often more experienced and dare I say more picky in their judgement and less adaptable to new layouts and arrangements. We found Britannia difficult to navigate at first and a bit compartmented compared to Ventura ,Azura and S Class but after a week we have settled in, learned how to get the best out of the layout and the facilities and are now having a great time.

I am surrounded by a younger set of people than we encountered on X with many more families with children. they all appear to be having a terrific time too but I suspect few of them will write a review for CC. On the other hand virtually everyone we met on X had heard of and read CC boards if not posted on them. I have always thought that this was the reason why Azura and Ventura suffered by review percentage comparison and I suspect that Britannia is suffering in the same way. Give it a year or so and I predict that Britannia will level out around the mid 60's mark but will never climb to the levels of the S class ships.

For the OP. Food is very good in MDR by comparison with our other cruises and first class in the specialities at a lower price than X. Drink is far more reasonably priced than X and there are a good range of bar venues although they need some live music in them to enhance character. Access to the show lounges and theatre needs some time management but that's not really a problem and the shows have been good. The cookery club was great fun and the cabins are also great if a little bit smaller. the balconies are narrow but workable unless you want to lay out flat. Get a rear balcony if this is critical to you or book the Retreat as a large proportion of Brits go to the Med for a tan and it shows in the pressure for sun beds on sea days.

Is Britannia perfect No, and in my opinion P&O could and should have foreseen many of the issues and design problems that have been built in to the ship. They had the chance to make an exceptional ship and through some penny pinching have made the layout a bit mediocre and sorry but simply not as good as the X S class offering which is a shame, because on the plus side they have slotted in some really nice venue elements which are where you really spend your time and if the itinerary was right we would not think twice about booking again.:):):)

Edited by scifimonkey

Hi everyone, I'm the OP - sorry I haven't been back for a whole, have a newborn to look after!

Thanks for your helpful messages, I will indeed enjoy our cruise, it looks like a stunning ship and I think it has the wow factor with the elegant decor I can see from your pictures.

Re: the lift issue....this will probably be an annoyance for us then as we will be using a buggy to transport our 10 month old. I guess we will have to use forward and aft lifts when we can and leave plenty of time to get to places.

Very excited about this trip now!

Hi everyone, I'm the OP - sorry I haven't been back for a whole, have a newborn to look after!

Thanks for your helpful messages, I will indeed enjoy our cruise, it looks like a stunning ship and I think it has the wow factor with the elegant decor I can see from your pictures.

Re: the lift issue....this will probably be an annoyance for us then as we will be using a buggy to transport our 10 month old. I guess we will have to use forward and aft lifts when we can and leave plenty of time to get to places.

I am not sure that the lift issue is a huge problem on Britannia. My husband cannot walk up stairs but with the exception of one occasion when the lifts ere shut down he had no problem getting a lift, though there was occasionally a short wait at busy times. I hope that you are as lucky as we were.

Many congratulations re the 'newborn' ! I do hope that you all have a great cruise. As the previous poster has said, no ship is perfect, but Britannia is certainly not a 'cruise from Hell!' as some would have us believe.

Re 'plenty of time to get to places' - I take it that you are young and able to walk to get to the lifts. We are not that young but able to walk so thankfully did not find the walk to the aft lifts a problem at all. I am sure that you will be ok. Ok the ship is big, but the walking distance isn't that long if you are young enough and fit enough to cope.

It will be interesting to hear how you go on with the lifts. We were there in the middle of the school holidays and the ship was full, and as we said no problems.

Thanks for 'getting back to us' and have a great time ---- and no 'sleepless nights' ;-)

Edited by Presto2

Your last statement says more about the ill mannered people and rude people that use P&O rather than a criticism of Britannia. I am convinced that in time those reviews figures will rise there was just as many poor reviews about Arcadia, Ventura (especially) and Azura in their maiden cruise season and we really enjoyed Britannia on the maiden cruise and heard very few "moans" and those that did I think just love to moan which P&O seem to attract more than any other cruise line.

Agreed, P&O do seem to attract the vocal moaners, I could not believe some of the comments I read, before and after I spent two weeks on her. I do believe that she is the best ship in the fleet and was so pleased with her, we booked for next year. No ship is perfect, and all ships have to compromise somewhere, people should just accept that and enjoy their holiday.

Go to Britannia with an open mind, have a great time, make up your own mind whether you like it or not - then go from there.

For me I loved Britannia, I would happily book to sail on her again if the itinerary was right for me - I went on Britannia to the Baltics as it was where I had always wanted to travel too and to get to do it on a brand new ship plus I was upgraded to a balcony aswell which was great so I had a fantastic time.

On the other hand I have sailed on both Azura and Ventura and loved Azura but didnt like Ventura even thought they are almost identical - slight differences obviously...

• 2 weeks later...

Very interested to seeing how this thread pans out.

We've not been on a cruise for a few tears due to small children but are considering Britannia next year- previous cruises largely on RCI and NCL.

I'm particularly keen to go on Britannia, but no real rational reason.

Thinking Fjords next July

Very interested to seeing how this thread pans out.

We've not been on a cruise for a few tears due to small children but are considering Britannia next year- previous cruises largely on RCI and NCL.

I'm particularly keen to go on Britannia, but no real rational reason.

Thinking Fjords next July

We are thinking Fjords in August but can't decide between Arcadia and Britannia. .we are lucky to be able to have a child free holiday.

Usually sail RCCL.

We are thinking Fjords in August but can't decide between Arcadia and Britannia. .we are lucky to be able to have a child free holiday.

Usually sail RCCL.

Britannia is fab, I sailed in July and was VERY apprehensive after reading the poor reviews and as a disbaled cruiser I was concerned things may be challenging for me. It was a wonderful cruise, would return to Britannia in a heartbeat.

And as for the lifts....seriously, not a big deal at all. I may have waited 2-3 minutes at busy times but that was it. There is talk about the central stairs being opened up to passengers but really, I failed to see what some people were making such a fuss about.

We have just returned from our Britannia cruise and thought it was fab. No complaints whatsoever and thought she was the best ship we have sailed on and we have sailed on around 10 different ships and several different cruise lines. This was a cruise fully booked in the school holidays and we found no need to queue for anything, even the theatre still had plenty of seats 10 minutes before the shows started. Only thing I will say that there are still people reserving seats in the theatre and sun beds, even when told not to but this happens on all ships.:eek:

• 4 weeks later...

Glad I found this thread as we are booking our 1st cruise and were put off by the reviews and planned to change to the ventura which was a day different from our original date but the reviews seemed better.

We are going to book the Britannia tonight and get on with it

Based on our Britannia experience the ship is at its best in the summer months (even with hundreds of kids on board!).

The outside deck areas are excellent with ample sun loungers available if you bother to look away from the main pool area.

Solent Richard (my spell check wanted to change it to silent by the way! Ha!) I have read your review, it was excellent! I agree with everyone else here. I have been on 10 cruises, 1 with Cunard, 1 with Celebrity and the rest with RCL. I am 40 (in a month, yikes) and my partner John is 57. We have enjoyed every single one of them. We like good food, good drink, relaxing, a nice room and lots of fun! It's what you make it I believe. Some of the reviews we've read about the ships we've been on have been dire! We would not have booked half of them if they were to be believed. One woman complained that her husband got stung by a bee and marked the whole cruise as a 1! We are sailing Britannia in 3 weeks and I have to admit I was very concerned reading the reviews, but not now. I'm so excited to see the beautiful ship, excercise my legs seeing as the lifts are such an issue and generally have a fab time with my other half! Enjoy your cruise and make it one to remember. I know we will!