Lost luggage Holland America Alaska Cruise Aug 2015

Simplysls

Where do you get a TSA approved lock? Do you buy them at the airports? I've never seen any, but am very interested in buying a few for my parents & my family. I had no idea we were allowed to lock out baggage again!! Yippee

When you said, TSA will sometimes leave you a note inside your bag, explaining they checked inside it, do they cut the lock off?

When I was a kid, I can remember my mom always locking our luggage. It gave me some piece of mind too, even though I was small. I can remember my blanket & a few stuffed animals would usually 'travel' with us & I was always very concerned someone might take them or they'd fall out of the bag...ah, to be a child again and worry about a blanket! But I was always really happen when I saw mom lock our bags. After 9/11 I believe TSA said no locked bags. But, it's great news to know one can safely lock your bags again, giving the traveler extra piece of mind!!!

Great news, thank you!

I got mine at a department store luggage department. I've gotten a couple sets now. They're easy to find. Actually, my last set was purchased at CVS. TSA has a key that fits all the locks. It's very easy. My first set had keys, but my new set from CVS is a combination lock. Yes, as previously mentioned, you can tell if they've been opened by TSA.

Edited by KruzPrincess

Where do you get a TSA approved lock? Do you buy them at the airports? I've never seen any, but am very interested in buying a few for my parents & my family. I had no idea we were allowed to lock out baggage again!! Yippee

Great news, thank you!

Try typing "TSA Approved Locks" into Google. You will get lots and lots of hits.

DON

I got ours at Walmart. I have had most of them lost by the TSA. I presume they are too lazy to try and identify the lock as TSA compliant, so they cut it off. A good grade of zip tie works as well and is usually replaced by TSA.

I got ours at Walmart. I have had most of them lost by the TSA. I presume they are too lazy to try and identify the lock as TSA compliant, so they cut it off. A good grade of zip tie works as well and is usually replaced by TSA.

Yet in 10+ years we've probably lost no more than three locks and only one time did we have the notice in the luggage that TSA had been into the bag. Considering our business and personal travel that's not bad. Will say that we've built up quite a collection of TSA locks over the years as the luggage we've bought usually have free locks included. In several cases the locks have outlasted the suitcase it came with. :)

When I bought my TSA locks, I looked carefully at the selection on the shelf. I bought several packages of locks with the same keys. The same key opens all my locks. Keeps things simple. Also, gives me extra keys if I lose one. I've had the TSA go through my luggage several times and they have always replaced my locks. I'm careful now to not pack anything that might look strange on x-ray. I used to have a laundry bag that had a metal hoop that held it open. Got rid of that and TSA is now happy with my luggage.

I have had both TSA approved locks and regular locks gone missing from our bags multiple times or badly damaged either by TSA or airline baggage machines and handlers. One time the lock was so badly bent, had to find an hotel employee to cut the lock off. Have found that twist ties work just as well - nothing really valuable that cannot be easily replaced in our checked bags.

Simplysls, I'm happy to hear about the suitcase being found :)

As for TSA locks, we have a set we bought about 7 or 8 years ago, and they are still working fine for us. We only fly once or twice a year, so possibly the odds are in our favour :D However, DH's suitcase WAS opened by TSA once and the lock was fine afterwards. Purchased the locks at a hardware store, I think.

Luggage theft is a major problem at our airport. A police officer who works at the airport told me that thieves dress the part of a traveler, such as having a back-pack, a shoulder bag or a small rolling bag, and they tend to target high-end luggage, but not always. I guess they figure that people with high-end luggage will have more high-end items in them.

There used to luggage screeners at the airport here, who would cross check your claim check ticket with the tags on your checked bags, but like most other things that cost a lot of dollars, the screeners were discontinued.

Other than going directly to the luggage carousel after departing the airplane and perhaps having plenty of external ID or a distinctive marking on your bags, there is not much one can do to prevent theft. So far, we have been ok. We have used HAL express transfer once, and thought it was excellent. We will be driving to the port for our next cruise and plan to travel light so we can walk off the HAL ship with our rolling suitcases.

About 7 years ago we had 3 bags of chocolate covered macadamia nuts that were gifts stolen out of a checked bag. Talk about taking something of no value. They were worth about $24 total but it was a pain to find replacement gifts!

We haven't checked a bag since whether on a cruise, a 3 month land trip or a combo. We travel light so it works for us.

I appreciate the info on the locks. I do believe I'll get some, I think it's a great idea!

Also, if I never, ever check a bag again in my life for fear, how do I deal with things in my luggage such as hairspray, liquid foundation and any other kind of liquid like shampoo, lotions, perfume, etc. I know with any carry on, TSA is more than likely going to give me a hard time about liquids and things that appear to looks like weapons, like curling irons, hair dryers, bobby pins, wire coat hangers (for suites), shavers (both electric & not), etc. Do I just try & do without these items or buy some at my destination? I do know that you can place some liquid items in ziplock bags, like lotion. But not everything will fit in one of those.

I've never known the answer to these questions and I guess because of that I've always checked my bags. Plus, I'm always worried about TSA having a problem with my regular backpack 'carry on' because I bring a lot of medication due to an autoimmune disease I have.

I just don't want to have to open my luggage while at the airport and have to throw half of my stuff away. Once I had a water globe on my carry on and had a choice to throw it away or mail it home. Luckily, I had enough time before my flight to mail it.

Figured the writers on this board just might be the best people to ask this question.

No luggage lock will keep a thief out of your suitcase.

I use zip ties to hold zippers closed on duffle like bags but don't bother locking the bag. I use unusual colors that might indicate to me if someone opened my bag and replaced with a different zip tie but if they want my bag or want into it, no TSA lock will suffice to keep them out.

SO happy your Mom's bag is back in her possession and the contents were undisturbed.

No luggage lock will keep a thief out of your suitcase.

I use zip ties to hold zippers closed on duffle like bags but don't bother locking the bag. I use unusual colors that might indicate to me if someone opened my bag and replaced with a different zip tie but if they want my bag or want into it, no TSA lock will suffice to keep them out.

SO happy your Mom's bag is back in her possession and the contents were undisturbed.

I have no misgivings or real thought that locks keep thieves out of my luggage. They want in they'll get in. I use them more just to keep zippers closed in transit. More than once I've stood at baggage claim and watched some poor soul's garments come out one at a time like bread crumbs to their bag. Zip ties serve the same purpose and I suppose I'd used those if I didn't have such a collection of TSA locks but I do and I find it more convenient to use them.

I've read the whole thread and don't understand why OP thought this was partially HAL's fault. We have done both HAL ship to airport transfers and Luggage Direct. HAL has never put any tags on our luggage. They have provided the color coded disembarkation tags and, for luggage direct, the air tags. These tags are always put on the luggage by the passenger. It is the passenger's responsibility to correctly fill out the disembarkation tags and attach them to each piece of luggage. It is also the passenger's responsibility to check the air tags for correct information and attach those to their luggage. For transfers without luggage direct we have always been required to identify our luggage at the airport before the transfer bus departs and to take our own luggage from there.

We use locks to keep people OUT of our suitcases, people who might want to place something IN one of our suitcases.

I understand but the lock won't keep them out of your suitcase for either the purpose of removing your property or depositing something into the bag. If they want in, they will get in. It has been described here any number of times how easy it is to open a suitcase that has a zipper. Some other closure styles might be harder to get into but if you are using TSA locks, I imagine it's easy enough to collect the limited number of keys that will open any TSA lock.

I've read the whole thread and don't understand why OP thought this was partially HAL's fault. We have done both HAL ship to airport transfers and Luggage Direct. HAL has never put any tags on our luggage. They have provided the color coded disembarkation tags and, for luggage direct, the air tags. These tags are always put on the luggage by the passenger. It is the passenger's responsibility to correctly fill out the disembarkation tags and attach them to each piece of luggage. It is also the passenger's responsibility to check the air tags for correct information and attach those to their luggage. For transfers without luggage direct we have always been required to identify our luggage at the airport before the transfer bus departs and to take our own luggage from there.

It seems like the process has changed for luggage direct. Why in the world would the op but wrong tags on their luggage? If they had the opportunity to put the correct ones on why wouldn't they?

I understand but the lock won't keep them out of your suitcase for either the purpose of removing your property or depositing something into the bag. If they want in, they will get in. It has been described here any number of times how easy it is to open a suitcase that has a zipper. Some other closure styles might be harder to get into but if you are using TSA locks, I imagine it's easy enough to collect the limited number of keys that will open any TSA lock.

I am confident that anything I add to my previous comment will muddy this conversation even further.

I use TSA locks to keep the zippers shut and they will deter pilfering. Note I said "pilfering". I know a determined thief will find a way but a casual opportunist will move on to easier pickings.

Precisely my point of view. We always use locks but have no unrealistic expectations that a determined thief will be kept out.

HAL has never put any tags on our luggage. They have provided the color coded disembarkation tags and, for luggage direct, the air tags. These tags are always put on the luggage by the passenger. It is the passenger's responsibility to correctly fill out the disembarkation tags and attach them to each piece of luggage. It is also the passenger's responsibility to check the air tags for correct information and attach those to their luggage.

When I've used Luggage Direct, my memory is that there are two different sets of "airline type" sticky tags. The passenger is given one set to put on the bags before they are set outside the cabin door. When the suitcases get to somewhere along the line, the airline, or apparently a company on their behalf, replaces those tags with the ones the airlines would have put on if you were checking the bags yourself.

The tags on my bags when I get home do not look like the ones I put on in the cabin.

I think this is what the OP was referring to when she spoke of one set of tags placed on top of another set; I though they were replaced, but one of us could be mistaken on that part.

Just thought I'd clear this up a little.

We did receive luggage tags 12 hours prior to disembarking from HAL for the luggage transfer. Obviously, we double checked those tags (printed out by HAL) to make sure they were correct and they were. All of our information was accurate, we placed them on our bags. We did not fill out any tags ourselves. Our bags were than taken from the ship by HAL to a third party (according to HAL), where the bags were tagged a second time (I'm not clear why they are tagged twice, but these were). Than, from there they were sent to the airport in Seattle and we were to see them again when we landed at our 'home' destination, which for us was DIA. We never had to 'identify' our luggage at the Seattle airport. The luggage transfer was an option from HAL and they were responsible for seeing that all luggage was sent to the right places. According to HAL, the third party transfer service had a glitch in printing the 2nd luggage tags & both the tags & the bags got out of order, and as a result at least 5 bags got tagged incorrectly. My mom's bag was one of them.

By no means am I'm 'blaming'' anyone, my only care was to find my mom's luggage. I believe it was just a simple printing error and unfortunately it caused confusion with the luggage.

We have used a transfer in the past through HAL and it went as smooth as can be. This time, however, there was just an unfortunate accident. I am grateful we got so lucky and had such a positive outcome. Most bags incorrectly tagged are very difficult to find, we were very fortunate.

Hope this clears up any confusion with regard to tagging our own bags with incorrect tags.