Umbrella for Alaska

travelbug2225

NO. Bring your own umbrella or poncho or whatever you think you may need. Weather in Alaska is very changeable. When we went in September of 2011 we had sunshine and beautiful weather everywhere we went. The locals in Ketchikan told us they hadn't seen the sun for a couple of weeks and it had been cold and raining. I was wearing a tee shirt and a smile. :)

I am from Vancouver so accustomed to the rain. I usually bring a really good rain proof knee length jacket with a hoodie (mine is from Stormtech)...I find it is easier to go that route than opening/closing an umbrella as you go between stores. However, as a Vancouverite I am not scared of rain. People from more mild climates might prefer an umbrella.

We always bring goretex jackets and usually a fold up umbrella. The one time we forgot our umbrella we found a fold up one in a convenience store next to a gas station. It was $5 so cheaper than at home and we still use it to this day!

Edited by Viv0828

You definitely want to be prepared. We had some rain this year, the last week of July. In fact it was heavy and all day in Juneau. We had water proof jackets and umbrellas. I kind of agree with the poster that mentions it's a bit of a pain to keep opening and closing it.

What I forgot to pack was our water proof pants (that fit over your regular pants). If we had those we might been able to ditch the umbrellas. The only downside to that is not having any protection for my camera bag.

Such problems....not really. Alaska is fantastic. :D BTW, on our first cruise to AK it was mostly sunny and warm. Be prepared. ;)

Thrak, please, please tell me it was a LONG T-shirt accompanying that smile! ;)

Whew! I was worried there for a moment.

Being deported from my own country would have been extremely embarrassing.

I saw a lot of folks struggling with cheap umbrellas in Juneau on one of our cruises to Alaska. We stayed pretty dry with our heavy duty ponchos. I like waterproof shoes, too, because it's miserable to walk around with wet feet.

I live in the Seattle area, and I detest umbrellas. I think I own one, somewhere, but never use it. A good waterproof rain jacket with a hood is so much more convenient. An umbrella is useless on a moving ship, with the wind, and they can be annoying to others in crowded ports. They also don't work well on a lot of excursions, such as whale watching, kayaking, etc. Wearing a rain jacket keeps your hands free.

I need a walker, so an umbrella is impractical. I have great hopes for a Froggtogg poncho that not only covers fluffy me, but also the walker. I'll know by early September if it works as well as I hope. Or just having it may cause the rain to stop.:D

I'm with the jacket/hood crowd, umbrellas are a nuisance, and a hazard in crowds. Doing a walking tour, the guide had to finally say something about umbrellas, they were a problem. People were not happy, but they had to stand in back so the rest of us could see what he was describing. I never travel with one, and I have several travel umbrellas, Totes, I believe.

Just went on a land/sea tour of Alaska. The weather is changeable not merely by the day, but sometimes by the hour. I would suggest small travel umbrella, and at least something water resistant. Also good to have would be layers like long sleeve, short sleeve base and sweatshirt, etc. On our trip we were at Glacier Bay with rain and cold, but someone we know was there next day with short sleeves to enjoy the sunny and warmer temperatures.

In Alaska, there's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing.

I've had success with all quick-dry clothing and a poncho there. Be ready to layer your clothing. If you do get wet on shore, a little hot tub and margarita time back on board will make it all better.:D

Was in Alaska over July 4, weather was hot but gorgeous. Didn't get a drop of rain, but always carried that dollar store small folded poncho for that "what if" moment. Took up no space and weighed nothing. Also used them in the Amazon where it always rains.

I know the OP wasn't asking what to use, but wanted to share our experience on this topic: we stopped bringing our umbrella and switched to rain gear after our first Alaska cruise (light hooded jacket over layers, or emergency poncho for the "yikes where did those clouds come from" moments). The umbrella was a hassle walking on crowded sidewalks when there were multiple ships in port but more critically, created problems open/closing when entering and leaving shops if I was loaded down with with purchases. :D