do you think my cabin steward invaded my privacy?

loveandcruises

It's not such a big deal, but last week on the Liberty of the Seas, my cabin steward needed sunglasses for his towel animal. I had three eyeglass cases on my dresser ... eyeglasses, reading glasses and sunglasses. He may or may bot have gone through each case to get to the correct glasses. I am not sure if this was o.k. or not o.k. to go through my stuff. What do you think??

It was not okay for her/him to open your cases.

If they were out & lying there. . .no problem. The steward opening an eye glass case. . .minor invasion of privacy, which could have & should have been dealt with by you in talking to the steward on board. An apology was the proper remedy. Now that you are home, what is there?

Stewards have put my sun glasses on the animals. If I didn't want that I would put the glasses away or said something. I have never had a steward touch my real glasses.

If the glasses were away in a bag or drawer -- big problem.

Exactly what I was thinking; our first cruise was in 1989 and every night we would return to our cabin to find my nightgown fashioned into various things - a frog, a flower, a fish, etc.

Ew. Just ew. I find that --- creepy. We've only been on one ship where the steward made the towel animals. We asked him to stop after the first one. A stateroom attendant who searched through drawers to find my nightgown would have been reported to the hotel director. IMO, there is no legitimate reason for any staff to be riffling through drawers and one who does should be fired.

This may sound odd, but I am a tidy-traveler. When I land-travel, I keep the DND door marker displayed, indicating no housekeeping required.

Can I do the same on a cruise ship?

Thanks!

Yes, but they still may have to enter your cabin to wash the balcony or windows or do other routine maintenance at some point. Normally, the steward vacuums and dusts and cleans all mirrors at least once or twice a week. Daily, the steward cleans the bathroom, replenishes toiletries and towels on a daily basis. They also fill your ice bucket usually twice a day, turn down your bed and replace used glasses, remove room service items, and replenish your mini bar daily. But, may I ask, why would you want to prevent your cabin steward from doing his job?

Exactly what I was thinking; our first cruise was in 1989 and every night we would return to our cabin to find my nightgown fashioned into various things - a frog, a flower, a fish, etc. It became a game to see if our cabin steward would be able to find my nightgown; one night he gave up and used hubby's silk robe instead. We all laughed about it. In my opinion, using glasses from a case on the desk isn't an invasion of privacy.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Smooth Sailing!

We're not hung up on towel animals and certainly don't complain to the Purser if we don't get one. However, they do represent a past era of cruising that among other things are slowly going away.

I do remember one particular towel animal that was so intricate, so detailed must have taken a hour to fashion. Had never seen one so exotic. I took it to the Pursers desk begging to buy it. The only thing they would do is sell me a book on how to make towel animals.

Yes, but they still may have to enter your cabin to wash the balcony or windows or do other routine maintenance at some point. Normally, the steward vacuums and dusts and cleans all mirrors at least once or twice a week. Daily, the steward cleans the bathroom, replenishes toiletries and towels on a daily basis. They also fill your ice bucket usually twice a day, turn down your bed and replace used glasses, remove room service items, and replenish your mini bar daily. But, may I ask, why would you want to prevent your cabin steward from doing his job?

No prevention, just an inquiry.

Like I mentioned, I do this with land-travel. And am curious about the same with sea-travel.

Thanks.

It's not such a big deal, but last week on the Liberty of the Seas, my cabin steward needed sunglasses for his towel animal. I had three eyeglass cases on my dresser ... eyeglasses, reading glasses and sunglasses. He may or may bot have gone through each case to get to the correct glasses. I am not sure if this was o.k. or not o.k. to go through my stuff. What do you think??

I would not have made a big deal of it but I would not have liked it. Prescription glasses are costly and I wouldn't want him 'playing' with my glasses nor opening closed cases. If he opened those closed cases, did he also open closed drawers?

I would likely ask he not leave any future towel animals.

Has ANYONE ever had a cabin steward named "Stewart"?

To answer the OP's question, I think you're being just a little over sensitive. While the sunglasses may have been in a case, they were out in the open, and I doubt if the cabin steward meant any harm. There is a saying, "Out of site, out of mind". If you're sensitive or concerned about the cabin steward bothering your items, put them away, out of sight.

Rod Stewart was my stewart... um, I mean, steward, once.

Prescription glasses are costly

The OP wrote $ 30 glasses, certainly not prescription.

I put everything in drawers. I like a tidy stateroom, can't stand the cabins that look like a bomb has exploded. Sometimes I see them when the stewards clean with open doors. I feel sorry for the guys and gals.

I do remember one particular towel animal that was so intricate, so detailed must have taken a hour to fashion. Had never seen one so exotic. I took it to the Pursers desk begging to buy it. The only thing they would do is sell me a book on how to make towel animals.

If I were you, I would have stuck it in my suitcase and not said another word about it. But I'm not a towel animal fan so if Stewart did one the first night, I'd thank him and request that he not do another.

Edited by Treven

The OP wrote $ 30 glasses, certainly not prescription.

I put everything in drawers. I like a tidy stateroom, can't stand the cabins that look like a bomb has exploded. Sometimes I see them when the stewards clean with open doors. I feel sorry for the guys and gals.

I understand the glasses were not prescription.

My point was they were her property and doesn't matter if they were $5.00.

Because of the StewarD's actions, they were destroyed and her $30 glasses had to be thrown away. She is lucky he only ruined something worth $30, what if he had done that with high priced prescription glasses? He destroyed a guest's property. Bad!

Edited by sail7seas

This may sound odd, but I am a tidy-traveler. When I land-travel, I keep the DND door marker displayed, indicating no housekeeping required.

Can I do the same on a cruise ship?

Thanks!

If you do this don't be surprised if security come to check the room. Apparently, stewards have been instructed. Might be best to tell your steward what's going on.

I've cruises since the 70s. Years ago the stewards would take your nightgown and make a flower or something to leave on the bed. I would hide my nightgown and he always found it and made something out of it. This was commonly done on all the mainstream cruise lines.

Margee

Some ... but not all ... mainstream cruise lines back then.

The first time we were on a ship that did this, I told our room steward to please not do it again.

LuLu

If you do this don't be surprised if security come to check the room. Apparently, stewards have been instructed. Might be best to tell your steward what's going on.

Exactly! My friend is a cop and was at a conference. He had the do not disturb sign on his door. The hotel called to ensure he was okay -- apparently in the past nobody's gone in the room because of the sign and someone was actually deceased in the room. So they call and make contact with the occupant every 24 hours.

IMHO this is silly - he didn't open a drawer - the eye glass cases were laying right there. He was trying to do something nice - let it go and next time - don't leave your glasses laying on the counter.

We once a the nicest Butler who decided to surprise us (while we were off the ship) by sending out all of our dirty clothing (I had a pop up hamper) - including a storage box that held all my bras - 8 to 10 in all colors. :cool: Ruined some of them because they were all dried on high heat. :eek: He was so proud of himself - now that was an invasion of my privacy but you know what - for all the money in the world I would not of hurt his feelings. We said nothing and reported nothing. Let it go.

I think this is a matter of personal opinion and how YOU feel about this. For some, sunglasses on the dresser are fair game. For others - I assume for you - it was not appropriate. He was just trying to do something fun for you, but if you feel he violated your personal space, then he did.

Having said that, we do not like the steward going through our stuff. We always put our things away. We never leave anything out in plain sight.

this. anything we want left alone gets stuffed in a drawer or the safe.

Every time I come to this message board I am amazed at the things people get their knickers in a twist over. :rolleyes:

To be fair, sometimes it's the room steward who's doing the knicker twisting! [emoji3]

Not a super big deal, but yeah, I'd prefer if the cruise line instructed stewards to not open anything, and move stuff only as needed to clean.

Would others feel differently if he was looking for a necklace to put on the towel animal? Where do you the line?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk