Los food poisening

ginaf

We are in Los and friends in our group both were violently ill (vomiting and diarrhea ) within hours of eating at chops . They were the only ones I. Our group that had the crab cakes. Everyone else are doing fine. Anyone else?

We are in Los and friends in our group both were violently ill (vomiting and diarrhea ) within hours of eating at chops . They were the only ones I. Our group that had the crab cakes. Everyone else are doing fine. Anyone else?

How long has the ship been at sea? Is it possible that that your friends came onboard carrying a virus from home?

Edited by Iamthesea

Sounds like norovirus

Many of the symptoms are the same.

Unless Gina is omitting pertinent information, I am leaning towards accepting her explanation.

I have friends who were quarantined even though they were certain that it was food poisoning. Happens all the time. The ship's officers' philosophy is "Better safe than sorry."

I have been afflicted with food poisoning but never norovirus.

Not a nice experience.

Many of the symptoms are the same.

Unless Gina is omitting pertinent information, I am leaning towards accepting her explanation.

I have friends who were quarantined even though they were certain that it was food poisoning. Happens all the time. The ship's officers' philosophy is "Better safe than sorry."

I have been afflicted with food poisoning but never norovirus.

Not a nice experience.

"Food Poisoning" is just a general term for illness caused by eating contaminated food. It can be caused by any number of different critters, like vibrio, salmonella, rotavirus or, yes, even norovirus. And, depending upon what type of illness it is, the symptoms could show up anywhere from several hours to several days after eating whatever caused it.

They both came onboard ok...after dinner they felt like bricks were in their stomach. Within hours they were sick...at the same time. Vomiting and diarrhea lasted a few hours followed by severe fatigue. They are fine today. I'm leaning towards food poisoning because they both had the same crab cake and started getting sick at the same time. I know this can happen anywhere ..I was just wondering if there were any other complaints.

They both came onboard ok...after dinner they felt like bricks were in their stomach. Within hours they were sick...at the same time. Vomiting and diarrhea lasted a few hours followed by severe fatigue. They are fine today. I'm leaning towards food poisoning because they both had the same crab cake and started getting sick at the same time. I know this can happen anywhere ..I was just wondering if there were any other complaints.

It sounds like you are on the ship, correct?

Maybe you should ask someone at Chops if they had any other complaints, or someone on board? I am not sure how many people on the ship are looking at Cruise Critic?

Careful they don't get quarantined.

Edited by Domino D

Well...if you are hanging out with them, you will find out first hand relatively soon whether it was food poisoning or NORO. The symptoms you describe are exactly the same way I came down with NORO on a Celebrity ship once. It was day 2 of a 11 day cruise. By the end of the cruise everyone I mentioned it to stated they came down with it as well.

Edited by rolloman

It sounds like you are on the ship, correct?

Maybe you should ask someone at Chops if they had any other complaints, or someone on board? I am not sure how many people on the ship are looking at Cruise Critic?

Careful they don't get quarantined.

If they have symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea, they should be quarantined for the benefit of all the passengers.

they certainly were not the only ones that had that crab cake. There could have been hundreds that all had the same batch

Are there a hundred sick on board? Probably not

Stop guessing why your friends are sick and spreading rumors

"Food Poisoning" is just a general term for illness caused by eating contaminated food. It can be caused by any number of different critters, like vibrio, salmonella, rotavirus or, yes, even norovirus. And, depending upon what type of illness it is, the symptoms could show up anywhere from several hours to several days after eating whatever caused it.

No. The contagion factors are different.

And when you have food poisoning, your body just wants to expel the noxious intruder as quickly and expediently as possible, and then you feel better. Spent, exhausted, but better. Noro lingers for multiple days.

Gina is describing food poisoning in her first and subsequent post.

they certainly were not the only ones that had that crab cake. There could have been hundreds that all had the same batch

Are there a hundred sick on board? Probably not

Stop guessing why your friends are sick and spreading rumors

"Hundreds" don't eat at Chops on one night. (Royal wishes that it were so, but it's not, not even on Liberty)

And of those who DO eat there, only a smallish percentage have one dish. (in Gina's example, she says that it's the crab cake.)

"Hundreds" don't eat at Chops on one night. (Royal wishes that it were so, but it's not, not even on Liberty)

And of those who DO eat there, only a smallish percentage have one dish. (in Gina's example, she says that it's the crab cake.)

Right, thinking of dining room. Would still be a batch made ahead of time for the night though

My husband & I were on a cruise and both of us had Stir Fry for lunch, my husband took ill shortly after dinner which he didn't finish, I became ill around 3 AM. We both suffered the same symptoms and I slept the rest of the day and back up and running the next day. When I started eating I kept it to fruits and soup the first day before going back to a routine meal. Neither of us were quarantined.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Glad to hear they are feeling ok.

And less than 24 hrs of symptoms, I'm 100% with you.

Food poisoning *can* be noro- sure- but with this set of symptoms, it (thankfully) isn't that. Some other "24 hr flu" food poisoning. My wife got that at one of the new local hot restaurants. It was a rather interesting evening for the both of us.

Hope you are all able to enjoy the rest of the trip.

How long has the ship been at sea? Is it possible that that your friends came onboard carrying a virus from home?

they ate some bad conch fritters in Bermuda, came back on the ship ... and 30 minutes after eating at Chops, they started to hurl :rolleyes:

typical.

Sue RCCL ... its noro... its da crab cakes ..... we are poisoned! this line will pay dearly!

Edited by F27TW

I'm betting it was food poisoning b/c it sounds like my experience with bad mussels once and a a bad claim another time. After being terribly miserably in multiple ways at the same time............... sort of felt almost normal next day. Norovirus would last longer, I'd think.

Make sure you don't take Imodium AD, it needs to get out. But when there is nothing left in stomach, you've ridden the bad stuff many times and just need some sleep, Ondansetron (Zofran) can be a godsend. If a doc will give you a prescription you can pack them "just in case". I saved some from a really bad food poisoning episode where it was prescribed.

No. The contagion factors are different.

And when you have food poisoning, your body just wants to expel the noxious intruder as quickly and expediently as possible, and then you feel better. Spent, exhausted, but better. Noro lingers for multiple days.

Gina is describing food poisoning in her first and subsequent post.

Sounds nice, but simply not factual. Food poisoning is a catch-all term for any "bug" you pick up from food. I'm not suggesting that in this particular story, the contaminant was noro, because the symptoms don't seem to match with that. But if it was food-born, it could have been from that dinner just a few hours before, or it could have been from something the day or two days before. It just seems that you and several people here have a view of "food poisoning" as if it's totally different from a gastrointestinal illness you might pick up some other way. Not so.

Not discounting that people are sick from eating a food. But LOTS does NOT have noro. I did a B2B and we were off the ship for maybe 10 minutes. Now I'm back at the pool. They would have had to sanitize the entire ship and we wouldn't have been able to get back on.

This may be a silly question. How in the world do you handle two people being sick like this in ONE cabin? I can't even begin to imagine how awful it would

be.

I would hate to experience that :eek::eek::eek:

On the other hand, not a doctor, but some people who rarely eat out, it seems are more prone to "intestinal aliments" we are exposed to more BAD bugs than we ever realized, by eating out or public places like airplane seats etc. It is not if, but when you will get a intestinal malfunction from something, no matter who your are.

This may be a silly question. How in the world do you handle two people being sick like this in ONE cabin? I can't even begin to imagine how awful it would

be.

That is when the 2 bedroom 2 bathroom Royal Family suite would come in real handy!

We also left Liberty today, ate at Chops Tuesday night. I had the crab cake (I think it also had shrimp) and did not get ill after.

ETA: it's my understanding that most common food borne illnesses will start within about 8 hours after you eat something contaminated. If you are sick today, it's probably not something you ate yesterday.

Edited by jm485