No smoking Not enforced on Navigator

rkd1

RCI aren't doing anything about a guest repeatedly breaking a policy; why would you think they'd do something about someone not breaking a policy?

I would find a person that would look into a persons balcony and taking a picture just creepy and unstable. I guess I just don't see it like you do.

I would find a person that would look into a persons balcony and taking a picture just creepy and unstable. I guess I just don't see it like you do.

I agree with you, it IS a bit creepy (not sure I'd say unstable, but creepy sure). Just saying there is no policy against it because if you are outside you don't have an expectation of privacy. my point was, RCI aren't even being bothered to enforce actual policies, so don't expect them to do something about an action that isn't against a written policy.

I wonder about the legality of taking pictures of guests.

It's legal on a balcony. Right to be, right to see, and right to take pictures. Only voice is privileged. And even then, it would be up to the jurisdiction covering the ship at that particular moment.

If you're outdoors, you are in public. You are the only one that has paid access to your own balcony, but you don't really have an expectation of privacy there.

You are not in public if you are own private property. And for the purposes of this argument, if you are on your balcony you are own private property (you rented it for the week). If no expectation of privacy was expected there would be no need for dividers between the balconies so yes, an expectation of privacy is expected.

But what I can't believe is the butthurt flowing over some cigarettes. :confused:

Edited by Out to sea!

I wouldn't do that. I'd get security involved. If not security may be hauling you away. You have no right to touch someone or their property.

And all you have to do is PROVE that they knocked it away from you and into the water instead of you dropping it in the water. Good luck with that.

I didn't have to peek the balcony is right below me with no cover on it. That's why the smoke was coming up to our balcony. I made sure not to capture his face. The way they were not acting to fix this convinced us we needed to document it. The officer asked to see it but then did nothing

I wonder about the legality of taking pictures of guests. If I saw someone taking my picture while on my personal balcony, whether there was smoking involved or not, their camera would go overboard.

And you'd be tossed off the ship :o

You are not in public if you are own private property. And for the purposes of this argument, if you are on your balcony you are own private property (you rented it for the week). If no expectation of privacy was expected there would be no need for dividers between the balconies so yes, and expectation of privacy is expected.

Not quite accurate. You do not have reasonable expectation of privacy on your own property. Again, right to be, right to see. People can take pictures of you on your patio all they want and it's perfectly legal, as long as they are not physically trespassing. Same goes for balconies.

Edited by Aquahound

You are not in public if you are own private property. And for the purposes of this argument, if you are on your balcony you are own private property (you rented it for the week). If no expectation of privacy was expected there would be no need for dividers between the balconies so yes, an expectation of privacy is expected.

But what I can't believe is the butthurt flowing over some cigarettes. :confused:

You can expect privacy all you want to but that doesnt mean you will get it. There is nothing illegal about someone taking your picture on a cruise ships balcony. Creepy? Probably so. Illegal? Absolutely not. And tossing someones property overboard would be a great way to get yourself tossed off the ship.

Sadly, I think what's going on here is something that happens CONSTANTLY...employees are so afraid of angering or upsetting a passenger they won't enforce their own policies. It's not just balcony smoking. It's why you see rows of chairs with towels sunning themselves for hours, kids in the Solarium or using hot tubs as pools, and yes, people smoking where it's clearly forbidden.

In part, the cruise lines have only themselves to blame. The employee evaluation and promotion system is very heavily based on passenger comments, and I can understand why a crew member such as a room steward or pool attendant would be reluctant to intervene. There's no excuse for management turning a blind eye, however.

I guess I'm creepy and unstable then. If I couldn't use my balcony because of a smoker below, you better believe I would try to get the proof the cruise line asked for. By the way, if you're in an aft cabin on Voyager class and standing at the edge of your balcony, it's pretty hard NOT to look into someone else's balcony.

I truly understand why the OP is upset but doing what you suggest is wrong. Two wrongs do not make a right. If you did that you would find yourself waving goodbye from the dock and rightfully so.

It should have been the people smoking standing on the jetty waving goodbye, yet again we are seeing Royal failing to impose a policy that is in their T&C, guest in suites have no more right to smoke on the balcony then someone in a E3 stateroom. As to losing the tips for the cabin attendant the fine that should have been imposed the first time it happen would have covered that.

It should have been the people smoking standing on the jetty waving goodbye, yet again we are seeing Royal failing to impose a policy that is in their T&C, guest in suites have no more right to smoke on the balcony then someone in a E3 stateroom. As to losing the tips for the cabin attendant the fine that should have been imposed the first time it happen would have covered that.

I never said that they shouldn't be standing on the dock also. I said if you through something on someone you may very well find yourself standing on the dock. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Being not a smoker myself, I can understand your frustration, OP. What is making me scratch my head is the fact you could never use it at all? You implied that every time you went out, they were smoking. Did you try waiting a few minutes then heading back out? I guess it's slightly plausible, but I find it hard to believe someone has been chain smoking for six straight days.

In any regard, I hope you have this resolved to your satisfaction. If I'm stuck in the same position as literally never being able to use my balcony, I'd also seek a decent resolution.

Not quite accurate. You do not have reasonable expectation of privacy on your own property. Again, right to be, right to see. People can take pictures of you on your patio all they want and it's perfectly legal, as long as they are not physically trespassing. Same goes for balconies.

Not if they are having to stick a camera around the divider to capture a photo of you. No different than if you have bushes surrounding your pool outside and someone sticks a camera through the bushes to take a picture of you.

Why would taking a photo of someone breaking the rules by smoking on their balcony be "Creepy"?

I was just speaking in general of taking pics of random people on their balconies being creepy. I dont believe taking a pic of a rule violator is creepy at all. Its evidence :D

You can expect privacy all you want to but that doesnt mean you will get it. There is nothing illegal about someone taking your picture on a cruise ships balcony. Creepy? Probably so. Illegal? Absolutely not. And tossing someones property overboard would be a great way to get yourself tossed off the ship.

As I am not a lawyer, I never stated anything about the "legality" of doing something. That being said, is anyone ready to give their life to take a picture of someone? How do you know that instead of just throwing a camera over they don't grab the photographer and throw that person over? Granted, the person doing the throwing would probably go to jail but is that any comfort to someone who's loved one is now 6 feet under? Laws don't protect people, they simply punish someone after the fact. And again I ask, how do you prove someone threw your camera overboard? I don't see anyone getting booted because you dropped your camera into the ocean.

Edited by Out to sea!

Why would taking a photo of someone breaking the rules by smoking on their balcony be "Creepy"?

What would you think if the person taking the pic had leaned over to take the pic and had the wrong balcony. It can happen. All you need is the wind to be blowing the right way and you may think it was coming from a different place. If your children were on the balcony and someone leaned over and took a picture of them you would not find them creepy. I guess we just come from different worlds.

Not if they are having to stick a camera around the divider to capture a photo of you. No different than if you have bushes surrounding your pool outside and someone sticks a camera through the bushes to take a picture of you.

I think we are talking about rear balconies where each deck is slightly longer than the one above it, leaving a few feet of open space at the railing. If you're in that open space, there is no poking a camera around the balcony divider at all. The person above could simply be taking a picture of the wake and you happened to be at your railing.

If I was the OP and that's what the set-up was, you can bet I'd be taking quite a few pictures of the "wake" - especially when the ship has requested proof.

Then if you decided to call security, well... you can explain why your nonsmoking stateroom reeks of smoke.

Being not a smoker myself, I can understand your frustration, OP. What is making me scratch my head is the fact you could never use it at all? You implied that every time you went out, they were smoking. Did you try waiting a few minutes then heading back out? I guess it's slightly plausible, but I find it hard to believe someone has been chain smoking for six straight days. clearly you have never met my uncle. if he cruised he absolutely would be on the balcony most hours smoking away.

In any regard, I hope you have this resolved to your satisfaction. If I'm stuck in the same position as literally never being able to use my balcony, I'd also seek a decent resolution.

If I want to use my balcony I should not be required to alter MY schedule around someone else's to avoid being subjected to second hand smoke on a line whose policy is very clear( and to their credit mostly well enforced)

If I want to use my balcony I should not be required to alter MY schedule around someone else's to avoid being subjected to second hand smoke on a line whose policy is very clear( and to their credit mostly well enforced)

Correct I paid for my space & if Royal says no smoking then enforce it .I didn't say it was constant I just don't want to smell it when I want to relax on my balcony. I don't care how much or often you smoke, just do it where it is allowed

OP: there are cruise lines that, not only have significantly more restrictive smoking policies but also, enforce them. Consider Oceania for your next cruise.

Really? More restrictive than "nowhere except two places on the ship"? I think it's the right balance of allowing people to smoke while not being too intrusive

Like it or not, there is no legal expectation of privacy while on a balcony. Knocking something out of someone's hands, dumping water on them, etc., is Battery. The cell or brig for the perpetrator will not have a balcony. :)

Do not directly communicate with the offenders. There is risk in doing so.

I'm sure Royal will do something for you, but it's a shame it's ruining your trip in the meantime.

Really? More restrictive than "nowhere except two places on the ship"? I think it's the right balance of allowing people to smoke while not being too intrusive

Likewise, unless they've changed it recently, there is still a cruiseline that allows balcony smoking. It's called Holland America. Perhaps the offender should look into them.