No smoking Not enforced on Navigator

rkd1

We were told by a ships officer who requested not to be named that the incident had moved to phase two. I do not know what that meant but that is where it is at. Thanks to all for you're support it has been a rewarding experience to know so many people are concerned for us! Perhaps we shall all get to sail together some day without incident.

Double secret probation. You were satisfied with them saying phase two but not explaining it? Multiple previous attempts yielded nothing. And we all know what sometime multiplied by nothing equals....

We were told by a ships officer who requested not to be named that the incident had moved to phase two. I do not know what that meant but that is where it is at. Thanks to all for you're support it has been a rewarding experience to know so many people are concerned for us! Perhaps we shall all get to sail together some day without incident.

Hope this is the end of this and you enjoy the rest of the cruise. I am surprised it took that long for RCCL to act, I do know they read this board and hopefully that helped.

After complaining to the ship's personnel with no rapid resolution, I would have gone down to the cabin where the smoking was coming from and knocked on the door and politely asked them to stop smoking and that they were breaking the ship's and company's smoking rules.

If they were crappy about it, I would have asked to speak with either the first officer or other high ranking officer to get them to resolve the issue.

If the passenger was nice about my request, I would have very nicely thanked them for their cooperation.

Sometimes, if others can't resolve a problem for you, you just have to speak with the offender directly in a non confrontational way.

After complaining to the ship's personnel with no rapid resolution, I would have gone down to the cabin where the smoking was coming from and knocked on the door and politely asked them to stop smoking and that they were breaking the ship's and company's smoking rules.

If they were crappy about it, I would have asked to speak with either the first officer or other high ranking officer to get them to resolve the issue.

If the passenger was nice about my request, I would have very nicely thanked them for their cooperation.

Sometimes, if others can't resolve a problem for you, you just have to speak with the offender directly in a non confrontational way.

Sometimes, even when being nice, this can cause problems and get out of hand.

Ahhhh, the illusive chain smoking balcony guest who booked their cruise so they can spend it on the balcony 24x7 smoking. To the OP I would say this - you can either spend your cruise complaining or enjoy it. Your choice, but at this point it is obvious that RCI has no intention of doing anything so I'd drop it and spend my time enjoying the cruise.

I disagree...the OP said it didn't ruin their cruise, but it certainly impacted their enjoyment. I wouldn't drop it, because I think if we (everyone who cruises on RCI) lets blatant rules violations slide without holding the company accountable for enforcing their policies, then the selfish few will negatively impact the enjoyment of the majority.

Whether it's smoking, chair hogging, running in wet areas, or making a lot of noise late at night, all the rules are there for a reason -- some multiple reasons. Smoking? It's a fire hazard and the majority of people don't like it. Noise? It disturbs people when they're trying to sleep. Some rules are for safety, some are for comfort and enjoyment, and some are for both. I think we as passengers have the right to expect the cruise line to enforce the policies they've implemented.

By the way, I WAS the principal!:) As such, I'm a fan of the rule followers!:D

I disagree...the OP said it didn't ruin their cruise, but it certainly impacted their enjoyment. I wouldn't drop it, because I think if we (everyone who cruises on RCI) lets blatant rules violations slide without holding the company accountable for enforcing their policies, then the selfish few will negatively impact the enjoyment of the majority.

Whether it's smoking, chair hogging, running in wet areas, or making a lot of noise late at night, all the rules are there for a reason -- some multiple reasons. Smoking? It's a fire hazard and the majority of people don't like it. Noise? It disturbs people when they're trying to sleep. Some rules are for safety, some are for comfort and enjoyment, and some are for both. I think we as passengers have the right to expect the cruise line to enforce the policies they've implemented.

Well said!!!

Well said!

I would have been more surprised if RCI had addressed this situation than the fact that they essentially haven't. Royal suite guest vs. junior suite guest...pretty clear on which side the company is going to err.

Correct. Why should my enjoyment of the trip be allowed to be

Disturbed by someone breaking rules they knew of when they booked said trip

Sometimes' date=' even when being nice, this can cause problems and get out of hand.[/quote']

We heard on board once that someone did that over some noise issues and was punched in the face!:eek:

So, perhaps not a good idea?

Pull your gratuities and tell them why. It's a drop in the bucket to RCI; but all that money goes through RCI before it gets to the employees. They haven't resolved your issue no matter how high the chain of command you went.

Just give cash to your steward and dining team that have taken care of you. deny RCI the benefit of passing that cash through them first. They'll start to get the hint.

We had prepaid gratuities on our upcoming cruise. I was never really completely comfortable with the idea of tipping for service that had not been rendered yet. Based on this thread we called our TA and had them removed so that if they need to be adjusted, we can do it easily while onboard.

We heard on board once that someone did that over some noise issues and was punched in the face!:eek:

So, perhaps not a good idea?

Sounds like an awesome idea. Make sure there is a witness to the event and report the assault to security.

We had prepaid gratuities on our upcoming cruise. I was never really completely comfortable with the idea of tipping for service that had not been rendered yet. Based on this thread we called our TA and had them removed so that if they need to be adjusted, we can do it easily while onboard.

Really don't see the correlation between gratuities for your dining room staff and room steward have to do with someone smoking on a close-by balcony.

Really don't see the correlation between gratuities for your dining room staff and room steward have to do with someone smoking on a close-by balcony.

Then prepay them, I won't try to stop you. I expect the staff to take issues like this seriously so it is connected for me.

Edited by Sitzmark

Like%20button%20stamp_zpszu5gskcb.jpg

Then prepay them, I won't try to stop you. I expect the staff to take issues like this seriously so it is connected for me.

umm what on earth makes you think the dining staff has any jurisdiction? or a cabin steward?!

at best the Cabin steward can note the ashes/butts on the balcony and report to their boss.. the head of Housekeeping. after that they have NOTHING more to do with it. their responsibilities ended there.

The tipped staff, such as your wait staff and cabin attendant have nothing whatsoever to do with enforcing policy. If you have a policy problem and withhold tips, you'll be punishing the people who served you to pay for the sins of management.:(

umm what on earth makes you think the dining staff has any jurisdiction? or a cabin steward?!

at best the Cabin steward can note the ashes/butts on the balcony and report to their boss.. the head of Housekeeping. after that they have NOTHING more to do with it. their responsibilities ended there.

Then they won't get tipped by the smoker.So why should they write it up.:D

Then they have nothing to worry about, what is your problem?