American food item hard to find

lssg

Declare everything. If you don't and you get caught you will be sorry. A year or so ago my wife had a sealed packet of biscuits in her bags which she had purchased in Australia and had taken overseas with her. She did not use them so still had them in her bag when she returned to Sydney. She had forgotten about them and didn't declare them. They read the riot act to her. They were not interested in her explanation.:)

Obesity does not run riot in the USA!

It takes a mobility scooter.

ROFL :D:D:D:D:D

And back to the OP:

I think seasonal candy might be fun to bring out for your friends. We get most of the US candy here these days but not necessarily the different flavours or packaging offered eg at Halloween or Xmas etc.

Most commercial food products we can get here easily enough, but if I personally was receiving a food gift I'd enjoy a specialty local product, perhaps some locally made chocolates or hot sauce, or an interesting preserve or a local wine, something like that. Things like Reece's pieces, pop tarts or Hershey's we can just get here.

Most commercial food products we can get here easily enough, but if I personally was receiving a food gift I'd enjoy a specialty local product, perhaps some locally made chocolates or hot sauce, or an interesting preserve or a local wine, something like that. Things like Reece's pieces, pop tarts or Hershey's we can just get here.

However those locally made chocolates, home made preserves and such may lead to difficulties if they are not commercially packaged.

That's the sort of thing they won't let you bring in.

However those locally made chocolates, home made preserves and such may lead to difficulties if they are not commercially packaged.

That's the sort of thing they won't let you bring in.

Yes, commercially sealed of course, I didn't mean a jar of granny's best backyard apple sauce ;) Although in reality most preserves would probably be allowed as any fruit and vegetables are cooked, so as long as the ingredients are clearly listed and the jar commercially sealed there shouldn't be a problem. chocolates will almost always be let in, I've bought them home from all over the world, always declared of course. They've never had an issue, even when they've contained nuts.

I think people get a bit carried away with the warnings about not bringing food, bringing certain foods is fine, most stuff that western tourists want to bring as gifts will be allowed. You just need to avoid fresh foods that can carry pests or diseases, such as fresh fruit, vegetables, raw or unpackaged meat products, raw nuts and seeds etc.

The key is making sure you fill in the declaration card correctly when entering the country, then quarantine can decide if it's allowed or not and you won't be fined if it isn't.

From my experience and observations that is a bit of an unfortunate statement to be saying people get a bit carried away with warnings. Be warned - don't say you haven't been warned - you don't get to plead ignorance.:)

Edited by joybook
spelling

I lived in the US for 3 years as a child. When we first moved back here, I missed American junk breakfast cereals the most. It's been many years, but I remember snacking on Lucky Charms, Capt'n Crunch and Frosted Flakes all the time. They just don't exist here. But last year, I went on my first Royal Caribbean cruise, and I found a small selection of American cereal at the breakfast buffet. It was a happy little reunion with my long-lost Frosted Flakes! :)

Another junk food that just doesn't exist here is s'mores. In fact, we don't have graham crackers here. We do have marshmallows but they are different. They have a weird powdery coating and are usually vanilla or fruit flavoured. I miss the plain white American ones. We also don't have marshmallow fluff/cream.

Wow, I could go on and on about this! I hope this helps the OP.

Edited by zxc

Bring some food gifts or items to my friends down under any suggestions of items that are hard to find in NZ or AU that I can bring with me from the U.S.

I see this type of query quite regularly on the sister site Trip Advisor. New Zealand and Australia are first world countries and have access to most types of food from all around the world. With a few exceptions most foods provided they are packaged properly and declared are permitted.

Items like dairy, raw meat, Food not in unopened commercially packaged containers, food that is unidentifiable , honey are not permitted without proper paperwork and certification. Flora and fauna are also generally forbidden.

If you are thinking of for example American candy which is not readily available of other commercial food common in the USA but not outside it then there is every chance it may be allowed, that said be prepared to lose it if the Bio security people say NO. Two pieces of advice I would give you:

1. Declare whatever you bring across the border. The fine and subsequent hassle are not worth non declaration

2. Unless it is something absolutely special don't bother because it is more than likely available or something very similar in both NZ and Australia

I see this type of query quite regularly on the sister site Trip Advisor. New Zealand and Australia are first world countries and have access to most types of food from all around the world. With a few exceptions most foods provided they are packaged properly and declared are permitted.

Items like dairy, raw meat, Food not in unopened commercially packaged containers, food that is unidentifiable , honey are not permitted without proper paperwork and certification. Flora and fauna are also generally forbidden.

If you are thinking of for example American candy which is not readily available of other commercial food common in the USA but not outside it then there is every chance it may be allowed, that said be prepared to lose it if the Bio security people say NO. Two pieces of advice I would give you:

1. Declare whatever you bring across the border. The fine and subsequent hassle are not worth non declaration

2. Unless it is something absolutely special don't bother because it is more than likely available or something very similar in both NZ and Australia

Very true .....

Globalisation is alive and well in both NZ and Australia.:D

Oz supermarkets now stock Pineapple Lumps, just for the Kiwis.

I miss Jalapeno Jelly Bellys and didn't see any when recently in Alaska.

The Campbells Soups ruined our Arnotts Ginger Nut biscuits when they bought the company. They used to be jawbreakers now you can eat them without your teeth in! (Where did that come from????)

Oz supermarkets now stock Pineapple Lumps, just for the Kiwis.

I miss Jalapeno Jelly Bellys and didn't see any when recently in Alaska.

The Campbells Soups ruined our Arnotts Ginger Nut biscuits when they bought the company. They used to be jawbreakers now you can eat them without your teeth in! (Where did that come from????)

Pineapple lumps aren't anything new, I've been eating them in Aus for over 50 years.

Maybe its a regional thing then. No local demand therefore no supply.

I'm in Newcastle so that could be it.

They dd more or less vanish for a few years, but now everywhere seems to stock them, saw them even in Officeworks the other day.

I'm in Newcastle so that could be it.

They dd more or less vanish for a few years, but now everywhere seems to stock them, saw them even in Officeworks the other day.

That can't be it then (regional). I've lived in Newcastle area over 60 years. Never noticed them till a few years ago.

As a small note on this, one time we were coming back into sydney and were picked up by security. I was petrified thinking someone had put something in my bag.

We always declare all lollies, food etc.

BUT had forgotten a half eaten bag of hard lollies in a huge suitcase.

The x rays picked it up, so they must xray your suitcases before it gets to the carousel and flags your immigration card when you go through.

Luckily nothing became of it as i am sure they could tell by my horrified face it was a mistake.

I'm used to being questioned even though I declare my glucose lollies and my multiple medications. I carry the glucose lollies because I'm a diabetic.

One other problem I have is a life saving medication I am on also causes extreme Hypomagnesemia and restricts the absorption of Iron and Calcium.

They usually aren't concerned by the lollies or the iron or calcium tablets, or the vitamin C tablets that aid the uptake of iron, but they always question the big quantity of MagMin Magnesium tablets I have with me. I have to take eight 500mg magnesium supplements a day, so for a 14 day trip and some spares I'm carrying well over 100 tablets, which does tend to raise their interest somewhat.:eek:

I have to show my Doctors letter plus my Medicalert documentation and bracelet to clear things up.

When travel to Aussie very regularly , bringing meds with us on each occasion. Only once were we stopped by Customs and asked what meds we had. It took a little time to detail every item we had so these days we prepare a list of prescription and over the counter drugs we have with us and offer it up at the outset. Customs have never looked at it but its there if needed. Every small procedure that assists Customs and Bio security people to assist in getting you across the border should in my view be done