Formal nights getting really casual ....

YWW

My cocktail dress and heels weigh less, and take up less room in the suitcase, than a pair of jeans, a shirt, and tennis shoes.

Additionally, my formal clothes are just as comfortable as my non-formal clothes. I don't buy clothes that don't fit or that are uncomfortable to wear. Do people actually go shopping, try something on, and then say to themselves, "This is uncomfortable and doesn't fit right. I think I'll buy it and wear it on my cruise.". :eek:

These arguments of "it won't fit in my luggage" and "it weighs too much" and "I'm not comfortable" have absolutely no basis in fact.

The fact is that some people don't want to dress up and feel like they need to make excuses to justify their actions.

Other people like to dress up. My husband and I like to dress up so that we look nice for each other. Unlike some people, we don't wear the same clothing on the ship that we wear to clean house and do yard work in. I'm sure that's a novel concept for some passengers, but we're not dressing to impress you.

Sure, formal wear might take up less room than a pair of blue jeans. But, I find the blue jeans to be much more functional and, yes, more comfortable than formal wear.

Certainly formal wear can be bought that fits. Comfort is more than fit. I simply feel uncomfortable in formal wear regardless of how it fits. I never feel uncomfortable in blue jeans.

I appreciate the fact that you like to dress up. I expect you to appreciate the fact that I, and many more, simply do not. There are reasons, reasons, not excuses, why we do not like to dress up.

Personally, I would Princess to adopt the system recently adopted by Holland. Gala Nights where Formal is encouraged but Smart Casual is allowed by the dress code.

Alternatively, Princess could observe Formal Nights in one of the Traditional Dining venues.

Regardless, Formal Nights will soon be a thing of the past.

When I first started cruising, formal nights seemed so exciting because I had never gone to a formal affair (and still haven't except on a ship). It wasn't too hard to find formal wear back then but was not really in my budget either since I would only wear it while cruising.

But after many cruises, and formal nights, I've gotten really tired of them. I pack much lighter nowadays (especially for overseas flying) and can't justify taking really formal clothing. What I now do is take a long, lightweight black skirt and 2 tops that are sort of dressy looking. Wear black flats and a nice necklace. If we have 3 formal nights, I repeat the first top. I still look nice without having to spend alot of money on clothes or pack a ton. Occasionally I've just brought one nice dress and worn it both nights - who will remember it or do I even care?!! :D

Personally, I would Princess to adopt the system recently adopted by Holland. Gala Nights where Formal is encouraged but Smart Casual is allowed by the dress code. ....

Regardless, Formal Nights will soon be a thing of the past.

Also wish Princess would go with the Gala Nights like on HAL!

We sort of miss "the way things were" but that was then and this is now. :)

LuLu

It's obvious you haven't spent much time in Texas. To many Texans, cowboy boots is DRESS ATTIRE and cost considerably more than most lady or men's dress shoes.

How true!! We were in a boot store in Austin one weekend and I wanted my wife to get a sharp looking pair and she wouldn't let me or her spend the money. But they were awesome leather boots.

We don't dress up to eat in the buffet. The atmosphere in the buffet is pleasant and comfortable with many choices of things to eat.

We dress up for a dining room with tablecloths and stemware and wait people to serve the various courses for the dinner. It is a different atmosphere.

But of course you know the difference, correct? :D

If the buffet is good enough for some, it's good enough for those in formal wear as well. There is simply no reason to exclude some from the MDR as long as they are not indecent and are well behaved.

But the real truth is no one cares how you feel as it is up to the ship to make the decision.

Exactly and they must think their customers want it.

There are plenty of options for those who don't.

..... If we have 3 formal nights, I repeat the first top. I still look nice without having to spend a lot of money on clothes or pack a ton. Occasionally I've just brought one nice dress and worn it both nights - who will remember it or do I even care?!! :D

We repeat our dressier clothes as well. It's only 2 nights on a 7 or 10 night usually, and not wearing them for very long. Hey, it works and why not?;)

PS - We cruise 7 or 10 nights with carry-on only and if I am bring a jacket and dress shoes, I just take/wear them on the plane. Now I have a much lighter and thinner tropical shoe for dress, so they pack easy. Might or might not bring the jacket this November - it helps when boarding planes in the north!!

Edited by steelers36

When I first started cruising, formal nights seemed so exciting because I had never gone to a formal affair (and still haven't except on a ship). It wasn't too hard to find formal wear back then but was not really in my budget either since I would only wear it while cruising.

But after many cruises, and formal nights, I've gotten really tired of them. I pack much lighter nowadays (especially for overseas flying) and can't justify taking really formal clothing. What I now do is take a long, lightweight black skirt and 2 tops that are sort of dressy looking. Wear black flats and a nice necklace. If we have 3 formal nights, I repeat the first top. I still look nice without having to spend alot of money on clothes or pack a ton. Occasionally I've just brought one nice dress and worn it both nights - who will remember it or do I even care?!! :D

I remember when I wore my first tuxedo. It was fun. But, that was in the sixties. After fifty years, I've gotten really tired of them too. I don't begrudge those who still enjoy them. I only ask for them to respect my wishes not to participate. The MDR is a big place. There is room for those who like to dress up and those who do not.

If the buffet is good enough for some, it's good enough for those in formal wear as well. There is simply no reason to exclude some from the MDR as long as they are not indecent and are well behaved.

Actually there is reason.

It's their ship they make th rules, if he line wants to say no MDR on certain nights unless dressed to a certain standard, they can.

In this case they even make it clear in advance.

Now if they didn't tell you, you may have a point, but the simple fact is they tell you in advance, when we started cruising the ship we would cruise on had no alternative other than room service which only offered sandwiches.

It's not hard.

I only ask for them to respect my wishes not to participate. The MDR is a big place. There is room for those who like to dress up and those who do not.

I like the suggestion of having formal nights in one dining room and smart casual every night in the other. Would seem to solve the problem, but I do think Princess wants to cash in on formal night photos and maybe sell more expensive wine or other alcohol when passengers are in a more formal mindset.

The only reason I still do the formal night thing is that the food in the MDR is usually better on formal nights! After dinner I go back to the cabin asap and change clothes. ;)

I admit - I really love seeing the men wearing kilts!!! I think they look great. Maybe instead of "formal" night, they should have "kilt" night!

Edited by Go-Bucks!

I remember when I wore my first tuxedo. It was fun. But, that was in the sixties. After fifty years, I've gotten really tired of them too. I don't begrudge those who still enjoy them. I only ask for them to respect my wishes not to participate. The MDR is a big place. There is room for those who like to dress up and those who do not.

Respect....interesting choice of words. Isn't that what Princess requests of those that don't want to participate in formal night? They ask for your respect for those that make the choice to participate and offer you alternative dining venues. :)

On a recent mid August Alaskan southbound cruise from Whittier to Vancouver on Star Princess, I was stunned and surprised how casual the diners were especially the men on formal nights in the MDR. We've been on a number of Princess cruises and this one has to be the most casually dressed cruise we've ever seen on formal nights. If I have to guess, a good 30 to 40% of the diners in the MDR wore casual on formal nights. The area where we were sitting towards the back of the Anytime MDR with about 12 tables, a good majority of the men wore casual. I wasn't talking about wearing just a dress shirt. I was referring to cargo pants, running shoes, sandals, faded blue jeans, wrinkled Polos with long sleeve T shirt underneath, .... The ironic thing was the kids present especially the young boys were significantly better dressed than the men. Have you seen this trend on other Princess ships? I personally think Princess should just do away with these formal nights and go business casual each evening in the MDR since it's a pain and a chore to pack formal attire. Why bother with a cruise tradition when diners are no longer willing to dress up. Your thoughts and observations?

Haven't figured out how to highlight one sentence... The OP said folks were "wearing cargo pants, running shoes, sandals, faded blue jeans, wrinkled Polos and long sleeve T shirt underneath" - certainly not formal NOR Smart Casual. Perhaps we need a post about what country club casual is... (not for me, I know the difference ;-)

Edited by Jessejo

Exactly and they must think their customers want it.

There are plenty of options for those who don't.

So why don't they enforce it? Apparently they realize that some of their customers do not want it yet still wish to eat in the MDR as Princess told them they could.

Edited by Potstech

Haven't figured out how to highlight one sentence...

I can help you with that Jesse. When you reply to a message with Quote option, the entire message is copied in, right?

If you want to highlight a section by bolding it or changing the color, just place your cursor at the first word, and holding down the left mouse key, drag the mouse (or your finger on a touchpad) across and down until you have highlighted the section you wish to highlight. Then release the left mouse button and that section or sentence will stay highlighted for you. Next, just go up top and click on one or more button options like Bold, Italics, or choose a Color. When you do that, the appropriate commands will surround your text and voila, you are all set. Now go ahead and type your own response below!!

Hope this thread stays up long enough for you to see this tip!

Edited by steelers36

You're making an assumption that the 60 to 70% wanted a formal dress code. Many probably just went along but would have preferred a less formal dress. Start calling them Formal Optional and see how many participate.

Actually the assumption I was making is that passengers who book a Princess cruise know what they are in for: just like having to attend the muster drill or live with those tiny showers and whoooosh-ing toilets for the length of their cruise, if you want to eat in the MDR on lobster night you have to dress up. Period.

As to a couple of the tangential issues mentioned in responses: having one MDR designated as formal but the others not will not work unless traditional seating is also eliminated. But having observed such a setup on NCL it really doesn't work that way either, adding multiple other factors in the choice between dining rooms--crowding, service quality, and variances in the menu--besides dress code.

And to those who mentioned that some of the most expensive ships have eliminated formal nights: would you really like to see Princess go to "country club casual" 24/7 in all indoor venues like the luxury lines? Have seen reports on their boards of passengers castigated for merely walking from their cabin to the pool or spa in a cover-up, or not wearing linen slacks and a button-down shirt even to the breakfast buffet. So be careful what you wish for...

Edited by fishywood

Boy, does Cruise Critic know us or what? Here is a direct quote from their article on "Cruise Line Dress Code":

Few issues create as much confusion or contention among cruisers as what to wear to dinner -- and, more importantly, what others wear to dinner. As cruises and cruisers have become more diverse, so has dress -- both what cruise lines ask us to wear, and what we actually wear. And the more diverse our dress is, the more we argue about it! Just take a look at the dress code-related discussions on our message boards, but be forewarned: anything involving dress codes is likely to have its fair share of vitriol!

The link top this full article should probably be posted on every clothing thread as it certainly hits the nail on the head. (http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=545)

Not sure when it was last updated as it doesn't seem to be current for all cruise lines, but nice to see a whole slew of them summarized in one spot.

Please don't tell me to go cruise with them, but if I were somehow handed the job to re-write Princess' dress code, I'd probably go with Azamara's, or one or two others. I liked how they put it: "Formal evening wear is not expected nor required. If you prefer to dress more formally, you are welcome to do so". Azamara's dress code is "resort casual"; acceptable attire includes sportswear, golf shirts, shorts, pants, and jacket (if desired, but not required) for men and sportswear, shorts, casual dresses, skirts and pants for women.

Hmm... sounds a lot like Princess in practice .. maybe no change is needed.

Ahh, for the good old days of the smoking debates!!

Edited by steelers36

I can help you with that Jesse. When you reply to a message with Quote option, the entire message is copied in, right?

If you want to highlight a section by bolding it or changing the color, just place your cursor at the first word, and holding down the left mouse key, drag the mouse (or your finger on a touchpad) across and down until you have highlighted the section you wish to highlight. Then release the left mouse button and that section or sentence will stay highlighted for you. Next, just go up top and click on one or more button options like Bold, Italics, or choose a Color. When you do that, the appropriate commands will surround your text and voila, you are all set. Now go ahead and type your own response below!!

Hope this thread stays up long enough for you to see this tip!

Thanks, I think I got it

...there is an element in society that does whatever it feels like whenever it wants to. This is a rude and inconsiderate element. They had other options for dining on formal night where they could dress as they pleased...

You hit the nail on the head. I am no longer willing to carry an extra bag just for formal wear, so dine in the HC or upcharge venue on formal nights out of respect for those who do.

The trend is toward more casual. I want to pack in one suitcase , especially when flying and paying for each suitcase.

Airline baggage restrictions have always been rather stringent in Europe, so DH and I have it down to a science. He takes a lightweight tuxedo and 2 appropriate shirts. I find no shortage of lightweight elegant but simple tops and long skirts and trousers in the shops. I add a pair of sandals, and manage in one carryon and one suitcase. Ball gowns are not necessary. It really takes little effort ,and makes for a lovely atmosphere.

And during the day, I wish some of the men out there would take a bit more care with their appearance!!! Come on, guys: tank tops and baseball caps worn backwards are really quite unattractive and show a lack of self respect. Here's looking at you!

Not another thread on formal nights!!!:eek::roll eyes:

People, especially Americans, are sinking to the lowest common dominator. Oh, they will tell you "we're on vacation" and "it's hard to carry formal clothes anymore", but the reality is that they don't care about dressing or formality. They go to weddings and funerals in shorts and t shirts.

There may be people who do not feel obligated to wear anything but pajamas and underwear out in public. There are others who do not agree with that and will still dress-because it looks good and it helps serrate one from the pajamas and underwear crowd.

As you will see, though the pajamas and underwear crowd really don't care what they look like as long as they are comfortable. (Note, I am comfortable in real clothes so I am not sure what "I just want to be comfortable" means).

FWIW

Well said!

I am sick and tired of being pushed to conform to the lowest common denominator.

In the actual dining room, no. Around the ship on formal night, yes. IMHO, cut-offs do not meet any dress code standard. I don't consider them "smart casual".

But this thread was about the MDR on formal night. There are NO RULES as to what people are to wear around the ship on formal night. There are NO "smart casual" rules about how one is to dress around the ship. Some people like to go to MUTS or other venues in the evening after dinner. Do you expect them to go in their formal wear?

Actually there is reason.

It's their ship they make th rules, if he line wants to say no MDR on certain nights unless dressed to a certain standard, they can.

In this case they even make it clear in advance.

Now if they didn't tell you, you may have a point, but the simple fact is they tell you in advance, when we started cruising the ship we would cruise on had no alternative other than room service which only offered sandwiches.

It's not hard.

That sums it up nicely. There house (ship) there rules. I, however, don't have strong feelings on the presence of formal nights or not. I do get tired of the buckets of acid flung on this subject in both directions.