Formal nights getting really casual ....

YWW

I would be curious to hear from those on this thread ...........What is your age? It would be interesting to know what demographics of age groups / generation that are holding on to dressing formal and which are not. This is ours.

60 Female No Formal

63 Male No Formal

71 Female No Formal

72 Male No Formal

My scuba diving club is going on a Princess ship in November to the western Caribbean for a cruise/dive. With 50 lbs of dive gear and cameras, I'll be lucky to have room for some underwear, shorts and t shirts to wear, in a carry on.

If people want to go formal, they can cruise on Cunard. I won't be wearing my bathing suit to dinner but I also won't be wearing anything formal.

My scuba diving club is going on a Princess ship in November to the western Caribbean for a cruise/dive. With 50 lbs of dive gear and cameras, I'll be lucky to have room for some underwear, shorts and t shirts to wear, in a carry on.

If people want to go formal, they can cruise on Cunard. I won't be wearing my bathing suit to dinner but I also won't be wearing anything formal.

I guess, using that logic, since Princess does have a formal night, if people don't "want to go formal" they can cruise on HAL or another line. I guess this trip was probably organized by your club, so you are kind of stuck sailing on a line whose rules you don't like. How sad.

Just finished an Alaska cruise on Coral. My husband wore a tux and our friend a suit. In the anytime dining almost 90 percent of men had on suit or tux. More suits but still dressy. Less people in dining those nights. Lots of people around the ship in casual so we assumed they went to the buffet.

Or they might have changed after dinner.

Why is it sad?

Even if the person doesn't mean to, it gives the impression of no self-worth or pride in one's appearance or that they just don't give a damn about themselves. That's depressing to me.

If I take just a little bit of time with my appearance, it makes me happy. If I dress frumpy, it makes me sad. I just can't wrap my mind around the concept that people don't want to look their best.:(

I guess, using that logic, since Princess does have a formal night, if people don't "want to go formal" they can cruise on HAL or another line. I guess this trip was probably organized by your club, so you are kind of stuck sailing on a line whose rules you don't like. How sad.

Well there is the Trident Grill.

Remember, you are going on line that suggests it's passengers "Escape Completely"! That would indicate to this long-time Princess cruiser that you and your group would be perfectly comfortable onboard. Have a great cruise and dive safely!

During our Med cruise in July where we had four formal nights, we repeatedly saw less-than-casual clothing. One was so bad that the person was turned away. Otherwise, I thought it kind of a shame -- this was a night to clean up and dress nicely, and 33% of the folks looked as if they didn't even try. It's like seeing jeans and a t-shirt at the Oscars, just negates the nice spirit and the special experience overall.

Who knows, maybe there will come some type of reverse-revolt and tuxes will be "in" at the main pool. Just Walter-Mitty'ng a bit...

Just finished an Alaska cruise on Coral. My husband wore a tux and our friend a suit. In the anytime dining almost 90 percent of men had on suit or tux. More suits but still dressy. Less people in dining those nights. Lots of people around the ship in casual so we assumed they went to the buffet.

That observation appears to be proof more people do not want to dress formal. Whether they follow the rules and go to the buffet is not the point.

Many here have complained about the extra space taken over in their luggage by a suit jacket and an extra pair of dress shoes that would be necessary to wear with a suit or dress pants and sports jacket. I vote for Country club casual - collared shirt, no jeans, no baseball caps. And ladies, let's keep some modesty in your dress attire. Extreme cleavage and see-through tops may not offend many guys, some ladies do find it inappropriate. There are children on these ships.

Female - 65 - no formal

Male - 60- no formal

Edited by iceleven

Not sure Princess would agree with your logic either.

Even if the person doesn't mean to, it gives the impression of no self-worth or pride in one's appearance or that they just don't give a damn about themselves. That's depressing to me.

If I take just a little bit of time with my appearance, it makes me happy. If I dress frumpy, it makes me sad. I just can't wrap my mind around the concept that people don't want to look their best.:(

Maybe some people are just very comfortable "in their skin". When you judge a person you do not define them--you define yourself.

female 59- gave up formal during the clinton administration.

male 62- couldn't care less what others are wearing, much more concerned about spilling beer on my tommy bahama shirt in the wheelhouse bar. Never had a dinner ruined by looking at some under dressed fellow patron.

Actually, (true story) we did have one guy ,very smartly dressed in a tux ,sitting at the next table on the grand princess. He broke wind for 4 seconds straight. Even tho he was in a tux and wore a rolex, the aroma was similar to what i experienced once in the mens room at Atlanta airport.

I'm appalled at the clothing that parents let their teenage daughters wear to the ships.

On our last cruise, the two teen-aged girls came to the formal night dinner (with their parents) wearing butt-hugging mini-skirts. We're talking so short, that they were constantly tugging at their skirts to pull them down.

I don't blame the girls. I blame the parents for not setting a higher standard of dress for their children. There's a difference between youth appropriate clothing and hootchie.

female 59- gave up formal during the clinton administration.

male 62- couldn't care less what others are wearing, much more concerned about spilling beer on my tommy bahama shirt in the wheelhouse bar. Never had a dinner ruined by looking at some under dressed fellow patron.

Actually, (true story) we did have one guy ,very smartly dressed in a tux ,sitting at the next table on the grand princess. He broke wind for 4 seconds straight. Even tho he was in a tux and wore a rolex, the aroma was similar to what i experienced once in the mens room at Atlanta airport.

Say it's not so!

I'm appalled at the clothing that parents let their teenage daughters wear to the ships.

On our last cruise, the two teen-aged girls came to the formal night dinner (with their parents) wearing butt-hugging mini-skirts. We're talking so short, that they were constantly tugging at their skirts to pull them down.

I don't blame the girls. I blame the parents for not setting a higher standard of dress for their children. There's a difference between youth appropriate clothing and hootchie.

True, but you can see that anywhere, not just on a ship. When I see those skirts/dresses, I just assume they never sit down.

On Princess, there are only a couple of special uniforms, Italian night and American night, as I recall. The rest of the time they wear their usual uniforms, and for the waiters that includes a jacket. The junior waiters will be dressed slightly differently. The Italian costume is supposed to look like a gondola pilot, I think, and some wear it more successfully than others. :)

Doesn't matter if they are wearing a jacket and bow tie a floral shirt or dressed like a gondola sailor on Italian night. The fact that they are all dressed the same implies uniform to me not well dressed.

I did apologize. :o

Doesn't matter if they are wearing a jacket and bow tie a floral shirt or dressed like a gondola sailor on Italian night. The fact that they are all dressed the same implies uniform to me not well dressed.

Oh, I see what you mean. Well, at least they always look clean. :)