New flag for NZ ?

Very good. It's called the Federation Star.

But you missed the extra small star in the Southern Cross. ;)

Doh, yes, I forgot about that in my excitement to post. Oh well, at least I now know it is the Federation Star. For my punishment, i will go look that up.

can't believe I forgot that...but it is small :)

ML

That is the commonwealth star. It is a seven pointed star with 6 of the points representing the 6 Australian states and the seventh represents the Territories.

The other difference between the flags is that the Australia stars are all white. While the NZ stars are red with a white border.

Nice to have this explanation, thx.

I didn't notice that, I am going to go look at the flags again.

I think I see an opportunity to play some flag trivia with Aussies and Kiwis on our trip. Do you think I could win a few beers for correct answers?:D

ML

I think I see an opportunity to play some flag trivia with Aussies and Kiwis on our trip. Do you think I could win a few beers for correct answers?:D

ML

Depends on the cruise line, most only acknowledge smarts with a lanyard, pen or torch or something like that

If NZ become our two new states, then we need to change the flag and add two more points to the Federation/Commonwealth Star. Maybe turn the little star red as well.:p

Little known fact the Australian Constitution, allows for NZ to be a State (doesn't say how many, so maybe more than one) and for WA not to. Probably because at the time it was drafted and passed into law, neither had made a final decision.

ML

Most Ussies and K1W1s will know about the Federation star, b name or not, less will get the red outline on the other stars or that the Kiwi's manage to loose one.

The 7 points on the big star represent the 6 States the 7th being th Territories, hence Mic's comment about needing more if NZ johns us.

Little known fact the Australian Constitution, allows for NZ to be a State (doesn't say how many, so maybe more than one) and for WA not to. Probably because at the time it was drafted and passed into law, neither had made a final decision.

Yes, I knew that, and I would think the North Island & South Island as new states would suit.

Most Ussies and K1W1s will know about the Federation star, b name or not, less will get the red outline on the other stars or that the Kiwi's manage to loose one.

The 7 points on the big star represent the 6 States the 7th being th Territories, hence Mic's comment about needing more if NZ johns us.

Personally, I would rather not be johned by NZ.

Especially if you are referring to the Johns brothers from Newcastle.:eek:

Depends on the cruise line, most only acknowledge smarts with a lanyard, pen or torch or something like that

I'm thinking in bars in Sydney, maybe on a ship when just sitting in a bar after dinner (or lunch). You know "hey mate, care to have a go at an Americans knowledge of AUS or NZ flags, one pint per correct answer" :D

Don't need any lanyards and cruise ship trivia is OK but maybe not as good as "Fun with Flags" (an inside joke for fans of Big Bang, US TV show).

ML

Some changes are easy others are not, I think that until we become a republic (not any time soon) the Aussie flag will not change. And even if we do get a republic, it still may not change.:D

Was going to say the same about it maybe not changing when it comes to us becoming a republic

I'm thinking in bars in Sydney, maybe on a ship when just sitting in a bar after dinner (or lunch). You know "hey mate, care to have a go at an Americans knowledge of AUS or NZ flags, one pint per correct answer" :D

Don't need any lanyards and cruise ship trivia is OK but maybe not as good as "Fun with Flags" (an inside joke for fans of Big Bang, US TV show).

ML

So you must be Amy?:D:eek:

ML

Fun with flags is good, perhaps see the CD and see if they can get a trivia session just on flags.:D

ML

I was thinking that was appropriate in our discussion earlier. :D

Well, speaking as an American, with no dog in the fight, I like the current flag. Whatever happens, the Southern Cross must remain. I didn't think about the objections to the Union jack until I saw a recent post, but that is part of NZ history--isn't that what a flag represents? My apologies if I have missed a torrent of evil inflicted on NZ by the Brits. While we are taught quite a lot about British history in the US, we learn a lot less as it pertains to other countries.

This is not my issue but I wish NZ good luck on this and I hope all citizens exercise their right to vote on the outcome.

good luck mates

ML

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/310537336777017582/

not sure if this poem is fact or someone's opinion but i am sure it is one of many opinions on the union jack in the corner

So you must be Amy?:D:eek:

I actually did LOL at this--good one Mr Gut!!

Fun with flags is good, perhaps see the CD and see if they can get a trivia session just on flags.:D

Hmm, that's not a bad idea. I wasn't sure if you guys got this show down under--or maybe you watch it online? One of the US' best contributions to the world in awhile ;) It is so completely true that my DH cousins and friends (all engineers) don't even see themselves in this, but they do think it's funny.

ML

Update;

Poll taken at the start of postal voting;

59% ...... Retain present flag

32% ...... Change

09% ...... Unsure

eight_col_2V9A7207.jpg?1449717707

The survey undertaken in the last week of February showed 59 percent of people wanted to keep the current flag, 32 percent wanted to change it and 9 percent were unsure.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/298154/current-flag-the-favourite-poll

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

Update;

32% ...... Change

09% ...... Unsure

The survey undertaken in the last week of February showed 59 percent of people wanted to keep the current flag, 32 percent wanted to change it and 9 percent were unsure.

seems like a bit of a landslide??

ML

I don't know if it's true either but it seems to make a good point.

ML

yes that's what i thought too but a lot of Aussies if this is true would not know this at all about the union jack

Hmm, that's not a bad idea. I wasn't sure if you guys got this show down under--or maybe you watch it online? One of the US' best contributions to the world in awhile ;) It is so completely true that my DH cousins and friends (all engineers) don't even see themselves in this, but they do think it's funny.

ML

Yes, we get it here and have done for years, although the tend to show the newer series about a year behind the US. The shows highlights the extremes which is what makes it so funny.:D

Update;

32% ...... Change

09% ...... Unsure

eight_col_2V9A7207.jpg?1449717707

Seems as if we were all correct.

Shame really with all that time and effort that it comes back to this.

ML

It's on Telly, love Shelly.