Too Close for Comfort Flight?

junglecat

Ok, CC family, I need your input. What are your thoughts on a Non-stop flight out of Indy on the day OF our cruise arriving in Ft. Lauderdale at 12:30 on January 17th. We will be cruising out of Miami. If anyone knows Indiana weather knows January is unpredictable. If no hiccups I think we would be fine, but. . . . . . What are your thoughts? Thanks to all.

Ok, CC family, I need your input. What are your thoughts on a Non-stop flight out of Indy on the day OF our cruise arriving in Ft. Lauderdale at 12:30 on January 17th. We will be cruising out of Miami. If anyone knows Indiana weather knows January is unpredictable. If no hiccups I think we would be fine, but. . . . . . What are your thoughts? Thanks to all.

Well, because it's January I would not risk it. What if there is a storm and the airport closes? That is totally possible in January.

Don't do it.

Fly in the day before.

If your flight is canceled or delayed you might miss the ship.

And there are so many things that can go wrong and not just the weather.

For example:

Aircraft Maintenance Issue.

FAA Shutdown

Computer Glitch affecting airplane, airline, or FAA

Insufficient Flight Personnel

Security breach at airport or on airplane

And the list goes on and on and on.

Keith

you already know

You will find many people say that you should fly the day before to avoid problems. I almost always fly in the day of the cruise and I live in the Northeast. As a matter of fact we flew this past January to Orlando the morning of our cruise and there were no problems. You have to decide what your comfort level is.

Good luck with whatever your decision is and enjoy your cruise.

I live in Missouri and when I cruise in the winter, I always book a flight two days ahead.

You never know what could happen. Snow/ice is my biggest worry in the winter. It can really gum up the works.

No way. Nope nope nope.

My first thought when I see a post like this is, you already know the answer or you wouldn't be asking.

My personal opinion is you should not even think about a flight the day OF when flying out of Indiana in January.

You should also check the suggested times from Carnival as if you fly out of their time any insurance may be voided.

I wouldn't risk it.

My MIL lives in Maine and we always fly in the day/night before. We're going on a cruise in November - she bought her airfare to Miami in February. Since then, she's gotten 5 schedule changes, all making the plane arrive later in the day.

As others said, I think you knew the answer when you posted but there are lots of things besides the weather that cause delays. Better safe than sorry!

As others have said don't do it. Fly in the day before and start your vacation early. If anything bad were to occur like a weather related 12-24 hour airport shutdown you would at least have enough time to drive all the way to Miami and catch the ship. Weather events can happen at any airport and delay or cancel a flight on the other side of the country.

We were delayed about 3 hours on my last flight to Atlanta. The information that came over the intercom was that the pilot was "missing!" :eek: What in the heck did that mean?? Party too hard the night before, and forgot us?? Luckily I was not on a same day cruise flight, because I would have been panicking big time. So there we sat in the terminal, waiting for the pilot. We all wondered if the guy who showed up was the missing guy, or a replacement. Everyone said that the announcer should not have said that.

Please go the day before your cruise.

Edited by INCHARGE

Please do not fly in the day of your cruise. We live in Michigan, fly in the day before for our January cruises, and are still nervous about possible storms, etc. that could screw up our cruise. We finally relax when the plane is in the air.

Edited by Sparky2

My son lived in Fort Wayne, IN two years ago. He told us about one particular storm that the city shut down and everyone was told to stay home. Roads closed, no flights.

Do you want to take that chance?

Look at what happened at the airport in Las Vegas yesterday.

Our flight in July was delayed because of a mechanical issue. (Thankfully we were on our way home.)

I highly recommend flying in the day before, even if it's late at night.

Good luck and best wishes.

On our Christmas cruise a few years ago .... there was a huge blizzard in the northeast 2 days before. Over 400 people missed the cruise.

Because there were Sea Days and HMC the first 2 full days there wasn't really much point in flying to meet the ship on day 4

The other factor is that once you do get to FFL ... there is still at least an hour drive to Miami.

If it was me .... I'd fly in the day before.

I always fly in the day before our cruise. For our Feb/2014 cruise on the Conquest, our flights were leaving from Detroit Metro the evening before and I was worried because the weather is always unpredictable in Michigan. I told the other three people traveling with me that we need to have a backup plan just in case. They laughed it off. Sure enough...we were expecting A LOT of snow that evening and we flew out just as the snow was starting to hit. If our flight would have been any later, we would have been delayed.

From now on, when flying in the winter, I'll always book a morning departure the day before the cruise.

We do one day early, even then had a problem. Our routine 40 minute flight to Charlotte took 5 hours with a diversion due to fog a ground stop. Then had to be re accommodated on the next connecting flight to San Juan. Many people leaving out on those Saturday cruises from San Juan did so without their luggage. We made it to port city at 630 pm. Our luggage did not catch up to us until almost time to check out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't fly in the day of a cruise no matter what time of year. I live about 4 hours from the south Florida ports and even driving there I don't drive in the day of a cruise. Too much risk whether driving or flying, weather not even considered. Please do not do this day of cruise plan.

I would suggest that you fly in the day before. My girlfriend was scheduled to be on a cruise from San Juan leaving at 10pm on a Sunday. She left NY at 7am on the day of the cruise, there was bad rain and she was stuck on the runway for about 5 hours. By the time she got to Atlanta to catch her connecting flight, she missed the flight. There was no other plane getting into San Juan until 10:30pm. She had to return to NY and catch up with the ship at another port on Wednesday.