Mariner Perks Reception?

chrismch

It shows up on the Rewards chart that if you are in "MY Account" and click on "Rewards", you then need to click on "View Program Rewards".

I think this is the same thing as the Facebook Roll Call in the PC Lab from 2pm to 3pm that no one goes to.

Thanks, Elsie

I was actually looking at "Benefits" where they still have the old Embarkation Lunch.

It shows up on the Rewards chart that if you are in "MY Account" and click on "Rewards", you then need to click on "View Program Rewards".

I think this is the same thing as the Facebook Roll Call in the PC Lab from 2pm to 3pm that no one goes to.

I found it where you said. I'm sure you're correct about it being the Facebook meet & greet. However, the program rewards listing there no longer refers to the Mariner's Embarkation Lunch. I wonder if they're taking that option away, which would be unfortunate, IMO.

The Mariner Champagne brunch is still listed.

From what I understand the Welcome Onboard Mariner Society Luncheon is in place of the Captain's Champagne Toast.

We just came back from cruising for several back to backs on the Prinsendam. The first several cruises they had the champagne toast, Mariners Luncheon and a Captain & Hotel Managers cocktail party for 4 & 5 Star a Mariners plus Suite guests.

In August for our Arctic and Iceland cruise. They had the Exclusive Welcome Onboard Mariners Society Party. We weren't invited as we were already onboard. I was a little unhappy about that as we discovered there was no longer a Captain's Champagne Toast on the first Gala night. There was a changeover in staff and I had wanted to see them.

And there were no more cocktail parties in the Crows Nest. I am not sure if they still have the party for collective cruisers as our last cruise was not a collective cruise and that is when they made the changes.

They still have the lunch in the Main Dining Room the day you arrive. And they still have the Mariners Society Luncheon. Another change I did notice is that the Captain, Hotel Manager and several other staff did stay and have luncheon with the Mariners. The Hotel Manager told me that these were some of the changes that came out of their meeting in Ft Lauderdale.

frankc98576 has a good point. I do not know where those said it was "gone" were boarding, but each Spring or summer for at least one embark/disembark day for the Alaska cruises there is large luncheon for local TAs and sometimes their guests, which definitely could preclude having an embarkation lunch in the MDR. I have gone to one almost every year prior to this Spring. We get on somewhere around 11 once arriving passengers are off, and then have tours, maybe a talk, and a nice luncheon. Then around 2PM we are politely told to leave, as the new cruisers embark. Lovely time, but does keep the MDR staff busy.

I do not know how many other embark/disembark ports this is done, but I know it happens in Seattle at least once each Spring/Summer.

frankc98576 has a good point. I do not know where those said it was "gone" were boarding, but each Spring or summer for at least one embark/disembark day for the Alaska cruises there is large luncheon for local TAs and sometimes their guests, which definitely could preclude having an embarkation lunch in the MDR. I have gone to one almost every year prior to this Spring. We get on somewhere around 11 once arriving passengers are off, and then have tours, maybe a talk, and a nice luncheon. Then around 2PM we are politely told to leave, as the new cruisers embark. Lovely time, but does keep the MDR staff busy.

I do not know how many other embark/disembark ports this is done, but I know it happens in Seattle at least once each Spring/Summer.

I can understand that but if it happens once in a while, the different event/location would not be listed as a benefit under the Mariner Rewards. To me, those types of things are a one off, even though it may happen at the beginning and end of a cruise season for a particular region. To be listed in the Mariner Rewards, it appears, to me, to be a "perk" for each cruise. And since the Embarkation Lunch is not listed (I don't remember if it used to be listed) as a Mariner Reward, that's why I wondered if it had been replaced by the Reception.

We found this to be a disappointing way to begin the cruise. It did get better from there!

We were invited to a Mariner's reception in the crow's nest from 2 - 3 but that doesn't work with our embarkation day plans. One of our friends went just before it ended to get a couple of cokes.

We found this to be a disappointing way to begin the cruise. It did get better from there!

We were invited to a Mariner's reception in the crow's nest from 2 - 3 but that doesn't work with our embarkation day plans. One of our friends went just before it ended to get a couple of cokes.

Did you notice if any function was going on in the MDR? As Statendam is leaving the fleet Seattle HQ may have been holding farewell functions aboard.

There is no Mariner Luncheon anymore. I was on the Eurodam last November and there was none for the 2 week back to back. When I returned home I emailed HAL and they said the Mariner Luncheon is no longer done.

They lied ... We have been on several times since then on different ships and have attended both the Mariner Embarkation Lunch and the Mariner Luncheon one more than one occasion. We were even invited to sit with the Captain and his wife on the Nieuw Amsterdam's Mariner Luncheon in the Mediterranean.

Edited by taxmantoo

No more VIP parties in the Crows Nest? I always enjoyed them.

There wasn't a party for 4&5 star Marniers on the 21 day cruise. There might have been one for collective, but this last cruise was not a collective for us.

The Captain and staff are at the one hour Welcome Aboard party. Dining Room Manager Kiki told us that it was happening. I inquired about why we didn't receive an invitation. Was told it was only for new Marniers coming aboard that cruise.

Mariner Embarkation Lunch:

I can see discontinuing the Mariner (exclusive) Embarkation Lunch.

HAL is getting quite good at getting pax onto the ship earlier that they used to and that means a LOT of pax in the Lido for lunch. Much better to split them between the MDR and the Lido, instead of having just Mariners in the MDR.

VIP Parties:

I would be sorry and not a little bit miffed if HAL does away with the VIP parties. Just my own personal preference.

Captain's Reception:

This has become a joke. Since the "Champagne Toast" started, I have timed each "Reception". Some Captains really try hard: 10- 15 minutes! The last and least was 4 minutes, and this was from a really good Captain (so short as to be almost an insult to the pax and then the Bev. Manager didn't show up to pop the cork!)

Mariner's Brunch

If the senior Officers are being encouraged to attend and host tables, that is something! A bit of a surprise; I would see this as a trade-off with the Captain's Reception.

Things change. I wonder what will actually happen over the next few months as they shake this out.

There wasn't a party for 4&5 star Marniers on the 21 day cruise. There might have been one for collective, but this last cruise was not a collective for us.

The Captain and staff are at the one hour Welcome Aboard party. Dining Room Manager Kiki told us that it was happening. I inquired about why we didn't receive an invitation. Was told it was only for new Marniers coming aboard that cruise.

Hi, Sharon

Thanks for your imput into this.

It was tacky not to invite Collectors to this Welcome Aboard party. I can't imagine who makes up these rules!!