what is the best way to avoid pickpockets

forestfox

There really isn't a one size fits all solution to this. So much depends on if you speak the language of where you are gone and if you can blend in and not look like a tourist. My husband and I are very successful at blending in. For others, this is almost impossible as they don't have the background or knowledge or the desire to learn how to do this. There are thousands of ways of protecting your valuables.

Money belts work as does:

http://www.scottevest.com/index_welcome_back.shtml

bra pockets

RFIS armor

Obviously keep a separate record of all valuables and numbers to call if they go missing.

Apple Pay is helpful IF you can keep your IPhone safe and IF the vendor has Apple Pay functionality. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pay

Another way to stay safe is to avoid public transportation, carrying a purse or backpack or doing anything that lets others know you are a tourist or getting drunk in public on your travels as pick pockets take advantage of that as well.

Within probably the next 5 years, biometric identification will be the solution that will likely end pickpocketing forever for all who use biometrics. But we're not there quite yet. Still, it is something to really look forward to!

In the meantime, there are so many other options. You really need to research on the internet and find what would work best for you.

While at port what is the best way to store your passports, cash, seapass, etc. to keep them safe from pickpockets?

If you are not required to carry your passport, leave it in the safe either on board the ship on in your hotel room. Most countries do not require you to carry them. In those countries, you only need them to enter the country, and even that is waived if it is a country with agreements with a neighboring country you are arriving from. There are many countries in Europe that are part of the Schengen Borders Agreement, which allow you to move freely between them. http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/go/schengen-fact-sheet.html

For credit cards, obtain a disposable credit card from your bank. Set up a smaller than typical balance, and use it for miscellaneous purchases. Keep your main credit card in your safe. Use it for emergencies or high dollar needs.

For cash, carry the minimum you think you will need. Leave the bulk of your cash in your safe until you actually need it.

For all other items, purchase a pair of pocket resistant pants and shirts. I have several pairs of Clothing Arts Pocket Proof Pants. These have multiple zippers and button tabs for pockets, requiring anyone to open two to three closures to gain access to the pocket. They also have hidden pockets that are difficult to get into even with access to the pocket. https://www.clothingarts.com/

Ladies should purchase purses or clutches that have a wire mesh woven into the fabric to prevent someone cutting a hole into them. They also have a steel cable built into the shoulder strap that prevents someone from cutting the strap. My wife has two such items. http://www.pacsafe.com/

Edited by SantaFeFan

You don't say where.....

If in a city where English is not the first language, some people tuck a local newspaper under their arm thinking it might distinguish them from being a tourist and possibly having lots in their pockets.

If wearing a jacket, put money and credit cards in an inside zipper pocket. I bought a lightweight jacket just because it has such a pocket.

Never carry more than you need for the day.

Stay alert; walk with a confident step; don't wear flashy jewelry; never put a wallet in gent's back pocket; ladies wear a cross body bag with as little as possible in it and keep your hand resting on the top/zipper while you walk the streets. Never hang your pocketbook over the back of a chair anywhere even if the chair is against a wall.

Most important is to be aware of your surroundings/people near you.

This is what we do:

In places we are very concerned about pick pockets.

Leave all jewelry on the ship.

Never take a passport into port. Only exception for us are the few places in which it is required.

Take no more than one Credit Card and on ATM Card with us and in some places I don't take any and just take some cash.

Place the cash in a travel wallet which goes around my neck and under my shirt.

Take a smaller camera with me instead of my DSLR.

And most importantly be street smart. In short, be observant of our surroundings.

Keith

After many years of traveling, we pretty much know what ports we should be careful in. Plus always keep up with the government bulletins.

We leave our passports in the safe. In ports that we are worried about -- all jewelry goes into the safe. I wear a cheap watch off the ship. Take little money with us and one credit card with a very low limit on it.

Try to stay out of crowded areas.

This is what we do:

In places we are very concerned about pick pockets.

Leave all jewelry on the ship.

Never take a passport into port. Only exception for us are the few places in which it is required.

Take no more than one Credit Card and on ATM Card with us and in some places I don't take any and just take some cash.

Place the cash in a travel wallet which goes around my neck and under my shirt.

Take a smaller camera with me instead of my DSLR.

And most importantly be street smart. In short, be observant of our surroundings.

Keith

All of the above. Keith always gives excellent advice. I've highlighted the all jewelry which includes costume jewelry, especially anything gold look alike.

We have two cameras, one is small enough to fit in my small cross body bag. The other one stays on board or in the hotel in cities known for lots of pickpockets.

"Blending in with the locals" works in areas of the world where we naturally look like the locals. We try not to advertise our tourist status from afar. That means, for example, no baseball caps in cities where no locals wear them. I don't wear shorts in cities. Outside the North American continent, well-fed women my age do not wear shorts. :D

In places with only tourists such as ancient ruins, everybody is a tourist anyway. You blend in with any vacation outfit.

They are pros -they know their home terrain and can spot you a lot easier than you can spot them. Assume that you cannot "avoid" them - but you can thwart them. Never carry anything you do not really need. Anything of value should be in an inside zippered pocket or a money belt worn under clothes. And any time you access it, you should be in a location where nothing can be grabbed.

I carry only what I will need in a pouch around my neck that is concealed under my top. Cabin key, driver's license, credit card, small bills. The rest is left in the safe.

They are pros -they know their home terrain and can spot you a lot easier than you can spot them. Assume that you cannot "avoid" them - but you can thwart them. Never carry anything you do not really need. Anything of value should be in an inside zippered pocket or a money belt worn under clothes. And any time you access it, you should be in a location where nothing can be grabbed.

The flaw with these hidden pouches is that they must be retrieved to gain access to credit cards, etc. Professional thieves can observe you as you retrieve the pouch. Then, follow you and rob you when you are vulnerable, demanding the hidden pouch. If you carry one of these, only retrieve it in a rest room or other private area where you will not be observed.

Another idea for men is to carry two wallets. Carry one in the usually expected back pocket location, the other in a more secure pocket or pouch. The one in the back pocket is a "sacrificial" wallet. In it have nothing but cut up sheets of paper, old plastic membership cards that look like credit cards, and other useless items to give the impression there are contents inside. The pickpocket will grab that wallet and will slip away thinking they have something of value. By the time they find a private location to look inside, you will be long gone.

Edited by sloopsailor

My husband was born and brought up in New York City. His wallet is ALWAYS in his front pocket, NEVER in a back pocket. It is much harder for a pickpocket to get a wallet out of a front pocket. It can be slipped out of a back pocket.

My uncle worked in Venezuela and if his boys were coming state side, he'd tell them to separate their cash in different pockets. Don't put it all on one pocket. Put smaller amount in their front right pocket. Then a thief or pickpocket won't know you still have cash after you give them from that pocket.

We only take one credit card ashore but that's only for emergencies. We seldom buy anything but maybe a souvenir.

As someone who travels solo, these are my little things I do:

I try to dress not like a "toorist" if I am going to be someplace that is not strictly a tourist site. By that, if I'm in a city like Rome, Florence, Paris, Barcelona, I'm not going to haul out the shorts or capris and Tshirts and tennis shoes. I've been around enough places to be able to scope out the "toorists" vs tourists vs locals ;-) If I'm in the Caribbean, there's not much I can do - but kind of hard to escape the fact that probably 4000 people are getting off those cruise ships with me at the same time and they are either heading to the beach or going off on some excursion.

I only carry what I need for what I'm doing that day. Usually, that is my ATM card, 1 AMEX and 1 VISA card, a bit of local currency, Global Entry Card (I use it as my ID because it is government-issued and has no PII on it). I don't use a special bag, just a regular cross-body bag with all zippered compartments. It's another thing with me - the Pac-safe type bags are only carried by tourists, so the thieves are cognizant that Pac-safe=tourist and may target you when you open that bag in broad daylight to get out your camera,wallet, etc.

I walk like I know where I'm going, even if I don't know. I never stop out in the open and look at a map or at my tablet for directions. I'll look for a group at a bus stop or in a cafe, dive in and THEN look at my tablet - the others are usually looking at their smartphones and texting so it doesn't look out of place.

Traveling via public transportation - I don't look terrified that everyone is there just to rip me off. But, I make sure my bag is more in front of me and I keep one hand casually on it (not white-knuckle tight). If I'm with friends, we don't talk - no reason to give ourselves away as "not from here." We will discuss where to get off BEFORE we get on.

I've never given a thought to my jewelry. I always wear a watch. I take whatever my favorite watch is at the time. But, then, my watches are not "expensive", but around $200-300. My last trip I actually bought a new watch in Florence and wore it the rest of my trip. I don't wear garish stuff in my normal life, just a simple pair of small studs in the top holes and smallish earrings in my lower holes. When I was married, I never even thought about taking off my rings.

These little things have kept me well over my decades of international travel.

Edited by slidergirl

One of nice aspects of cruise travel is your own personal safe. Thats where Passport belongs. Never take more $ on shore than you can afford to lose. On shore traveling I always wear a waist money belt worn low under undies. with zipper facing tummy..In Europe I have been groped above waist and pickpockets putting hand in jeans pocket, but never been bothered where I keep money belt.Seems taboo to foreign PPs.Works for me. Keep a few Euros or whatever currency out in you purse.

Locals get targeted too. How else will these thieves survive when tourists have left? It really doesn't matter if you look like a tourist, just don't leave your wits at home and stay alert.

I don't carry anything that I'm not worried about losing. I use a crossbody bag and if on crowded public transport I hold the bag against me with my arm over and around it.

I also have a good look around at my fellow squashers and give "the glare".:eek:

Seems to work for me. Never had an issue, touch wood.

Lots of advice on here already but I'll add a couple of common sense suggestions. Don't leave a cell phone sitting on the table when you're eating or drinking in a cafe or outdoor restaurant. And don't leave your hand bag on the back of your chair indoors or outside or at any time. When on public transportation and in crowds, make sure your bag is zipped or snapped shut and keep one hand on your bag or at least in front of you cross body. And when you need to check a map to find your way, don't put your belongings down at your feet or unattended somewhere.

Several basic rules have served us well for nearly fifty years of international travel. 1. Do not carry any valuables you do not have to carry. Why tempt fate and thieves. Unless absolutely necessary we leave our Passports locked in a safe (whether on a cruise or land trip). Do not wear expensive jewelry. For men, never carry a wallet of other valuables in a rear pocket. Personally, I like to use a large safety pin to secure my front pocket that contains a wallet or other valuables. DW carries her purse cross shoulder and uses a large safety pin to further secure the zipper(s).

Always be alert to your surroundings. If you need to read a map, text, etc. just stop at a decent location such as against a wall. If you must carry your Passport (we have probably done this a few times over 50 years) get yourself a secure Passport holder such as a neck holder (that you wear under your shirt. Never, ever, leave anything valuable within sight in a car (and best not to leave anything valuable in a car anytime). When we are doing long driving trips in Europe there are times when we have our luggage in the car. When that happens we practice some major avoidance procedures when in risky places like highway rest stops (a popular place for gypsy thieves in some countries like Italy, Spain, and France. One simple technique is that one of us always stays with the car (while the other uses the rest room facilities.

Hank

The flaw with these hidden pouches is that they must be retrieved to gain access to credit cards, etc. Professional thieves can observe you as you retrieve the pouch. Then, follow you and rob you when you are vulnerable, demanding the hidden pouch. If you carry one of these, only retrieve it in a rest room or other private area where you will not be observed.

Another idea for men is to carry two wallets. Carry one in the usually expected back pocket location, the other in a more secure pocket or pouch. The one in the back pocket is a "sacrificial" wallet. In it have nothing but cut up sheets of paper, old plastic membership cards that look like credit cards, and other useless items to give the impression there are contents inside. The pickpocket will grab that wallet and will slip away thinking they have something of value. By the time they find a private location to look inside, you will be long gone.

Thankfully........

The hit and run thieves usually do not have intention of hurting anyone and only want the quick grab. If you wear a pouch around your neck under your shirt, they are not likely to knock you to the ground and struggle to pull out your pouch. Of course, no guarantee they won't but that is not the usual scenario.

Tt is more usual their light fingered hands will reach into your pocket and nab your wallet or cash/credit cards. They will quietly come up behind a women with a pocketbook over her shoulder and quickly slice through the side or bottom of it and grab the wallet. They will grab the whole pocketbook speeding by on a motor scooter.... Ladies, never walk on the street with a shoulder bag hanging off your shoulder particularly with it on the side to the street where it can be easily grabbed off your shoulder.

Never take a huge wad of money out of your pocket. Divide cash between you and your partner if you are walking two of you together.

We were two couples walking on Via Vittorio Venetto, after dinner at Giarrosto Toscano near Hotel Excelsior in Rome. The men were a few paces in front of us and my girlfriend and I were side by side. I saw two gypsy children race up behind the men, silently, and knew they were the 'targets'. I screamed 'heads up, guys' and the children ran off. Had we been walking all together we surely would have lost valuables. They are so light fingered, quiet and fast, you are targeted and they are gone before you even know what happened. We had a GREAT night anyway. Beautiful night, two happy couples, fabulous dinner and a special night in Rome. :)

Edited by sail7seas

The key things I have seen in this thread are to be alert and to not look like you are clueless. I am older and decrepit, but I get away with walking in marginally sketchy areas as I waddle like a cop.

Carry only what you need. Now many have mentioned leaving passports on the ship. If one is in Spain, that is not a great idea as most Spanish ports require your passport to gain access.

Men, keep your stuff in a front trouser pocket or an inside jacket pocket with some sort of zipper, button, snap.

Women, wear your purse strap across your body, not casually over the shoulder. Keep you purse in front of you.

The main thing is to be alert and aware. Do not be bait.

As others have said - look alert. If you stop to look at a map then stand back-to-back with one looking out.

Anyone who looks remotely dodgy, make eye contact - they think they've been rumbled and move on to someone else. As a teacher (and ex-squaddie), I have perfected the 'don't mess with me' look - I've seen a few dodgy types acknowledge this as they scuttle away.

If you look less like a target than others around you, they will head for the 'easier target'. Law of the Jungle - survival of the fittest and all that.

While at port what is the best way to store your passports, cash, seapass, etc. to keep them safe from pickpockets?

All of my husband's shirts have two chest pockets that are flapover, button. So he carries his wallet and seapass there. Unless we are in a country that requires passports ashore, we leave them in the safe.

I have a holder with wire in the strap so it can't be cut. It is around my neck with the holder part under my shirt/blouse. My seapass and govt i.d. -- driver license -- are in there, as well as some extra cash if needed.