Shapewear Advice and Recommendation

luvscruising2007

Ladies, I need some help. I just received a dress I ordered on line and I love it. However, it is snug in the tummy. I can live with that. The bust and shoulders fit perfectly.

Here is my problem. It is clingy so it shows good curves and not so good curves. I need something that smooths so the dress is a little less clingy and gives the illusion of smooth curves.

I tried spanx in the past but was not happy and I think I may have ordered the wrong size.

How do you know what size you should get? My legs are fine so I don't really need anything that is long in the thigh. I want to be comfortable as the main use of the dress will be a concert and a dinner.

Please, any suggestions are appreciated.

I bought my spanx in a department store where I could try on all the different options and find the most comfortable for me. Is that a possibility for you? I think buying things like that online is very challenging unless you are replacing one that you already know is a fit.

I bought a brand at Dillards:

http://www.dillards.com/p/tc-fine-shapewear-just-enough-hi-waist-brief/504174618?di=04025903_zi_cupid_nude&facetCache=pageSize%3D100%26beginIndex%3D0%26orderBy%3D1

It's called "Just Enough" and that is the perfect description. The material is lightweight (especially compared to typical Spanx). The feeling is more like wearing a swimsuit or leotard? It has enough umph to it to smooth out panty lines (I still wear normal underwear under it), to smooth out any other less attractive lumps/bumps and the high waist goes up to almost my bra line on me.

It has some sort of silicon added to the leg openings that keep those where you put them.

I love them. I did not care for any Spanx. You know...wearing these has much the same effect as the old control top panty hose? There's support but it isn't that horrible to pull on and off when using the necessary.

I bought a brand at Dillards:

http://www.dillards.com/p/tc-fine-shapewear-just-enough-hi-waist-brief/504174618?di=04025903_zi_cupid_nude&facetCache=pageSize%3D100%26beginIndex%3D0%26orderBy%3D1

It's called "Just Enough" and that is the perfect description. The material is lightweight (especially compared to typical Spanx). The feeling is more like wearing a swimsuit or leotard? It has enough umph to it to smooth out panty lines (I still wear normal underwear under it), to smooth out any other less attractive lumps/bumps and the high waist goes up to almost my bra line on me.

It has some sort of silicon added to the leg openings that keep those where you put them.

I love them. I did not care for any Spanx. You know...wearing these has much the same effect as the old control top panty hose? There's support but it isn't that horrible to pull on and off when using the necessary.

These do look promising. There is no sizing chart, so not sure how I should order.

Thanks for the link.

This isn't the product I recommend, but it has a size chart that jives with the product I bought. I was a size 8/10 when I bought the medium. Now I'm more of a 12/14 and while I can get the medium on, I do wish that it was larger because it is just a bit tight around the legs (makes a line there instead of being smooth).

So I would say that based on the size chart on the page linked...it runs true to size:

http://www.barenecessities.com/tc-fine-intimates-back-magic-extra-firm-control-high-waist-brief-4095_product.htm?pf_id=TCFineIntimates4095&search=

This isn't the product I recommend, but it has a size chart that jives with the product I bought. I was a size 8/10 when I bought the medium. Now I'm more of a 12/14 and while I can get the medium on, I do wish that it was larger because it is just a bit tight around the legs (makes a line there instead of being smooth).

So I would say that based on the size chart on the page linked...it runs true to size:

http://www.barenecessities.com/tc-fine-intimates-back-magic-extra-firm-control-high-waist-brief-4095_product.htm?pf_id=TCFineIntimates4095&search=

Thank you. I thought that might be the correct conversion.

The key is proper fit for this sort of garment...you MUST try it on...or simply deal with the lumps and bumps.

That seems to really be the best thing. Now to find what I need in a local store.

if you are dealing with just the tummy area you can try a smoothing tank style not so confining or uncomfortable.

Thanks for the suggestion. DD and I are going shopping on Friday and I will check them out. I hope I will have a chance to try some on so I can get the right fit.

Edited by luvscruising2007

For belly only, I buy the control top undies Costco sells- Flexees, I think. Most of my issues are butt/thigh, so I tend to go for shorts (also prevent chafing in the heat/humidity - I live in NC ;)) My favorite are the wicking Jockey shorts- not very compressive though. Assets (lower cost Spanx at Target, also not as compressive as Spanx) have nice shorts. I got some Yummy Tummie brand and I hate them - they roll up and down - no silicone to hold in place. The Jockey don't have silicone either, but they stay in place.

Edited by Hoyaheel

Love the Jockey skimmies!!

I've noticed not ALL specify "wicking" - and as a woman who SWEATS (I do not glisten or shine ;-) I need the wicking version!

(for non-shapewear or compression, I also have a couple pairs of men's wicking boxer briefs too - great to wear under maxi dresses!)

I hear you on the wicking! Such a good product!

Another good option, if the skirt allows are non-compression style slip shorts. Like a normal slip except shorts. They are more airy, but stop the skin on skin action that makes me sweat more...I have a pair in cotton and nylon. They only work well with loose fitting skirts though...

Let me just start by saying I am not the biggest fan of traditional Spanx. I needed to get firmware for under my dress for my son's upcoming wedding in November. I fully intended not to buy anything with the Spanx name. Being a fluffy gal doesn't always leave me a lot of choices. I went to Lane Bryant and tried on their brand and I looked like an overstuffed package.....bumps and bulges EVERYWHERE!

I picked up a pair of panty thin Spanx with not a lot of hope for them. They were totally the other end of the spectrum compared to traditional Spanx. I got fooled! They look fantastic under my dress, smoothing all the bulges that need smoothing. I could breath, sit and not feel like I was going to fold up in it. They were expensive ($62) compared to other brands, however they are definitely thin enough that I can take them with me on cruises since I'm a light packer and they held in all the right places. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to purchase them again.

Let me just start by saying I am not the biggest fan of traditional Spanx. I needed to get firmware for under my dress for my son's upcoming wedding in November. I fully intended not to buy anything with the Spanx name. Being a fluffy gal doesn't always leave me a lot of choices. I went to Lane Bryant and tried on their brand and I looked like an overstuffed package.....bumps and bulges EVERYWHERE!

I picked up a pair of panty thin Spanx with not a lot of hope for them. They were totally the other end of the spectrum compared to traditional Spanx. I got fooled! They look fantastic under my dress, smoothing all the bulges that need smoothing. I could breath, sit and not feel like I was going to fold up in it. They were expensive ($62) compared to other brands, however they are definitely thin enough that I can take them with me on cruises since I'm a light packer and they held in all the right places. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to purchase them again.

Thanks for the recommendation. LB is my first stop when I go shopping on Friday. First hand accounts are always helpful.

Thanks for the recommendation. LB is my first stop when I go shopping on Friday. First hand accounts are always helpful.

This dress shows every bump without the Spanx on. A young bride talked me into this dress along with several other customers....I'm going to see if I can add the without Spanx picture.

1442431582899.jpg.59b50d03b4d2b3b3ed8f60ec8d6b103c.jpg

1442431794878.jpg.db4105e2a66246df673b736d80219aa5.jpg

Thanks, Sharon for posting the pics. I need the same affect that you achieved, getting rid of the rolls. My friend and I call it our apron and this dress I bought shoes it. I really appreciate your info.

The dress looks great on you, very pretty.

Well, I was successful at Lane Bryant, today. I was able to purchase a high waist, pantie that fit well,was thin and not heavy like the Spanx item I had used before and not expensive. So, if they don't work out I am not out a lot of money.

Thanks to all who gave me such good suggestions. I do appreciate it.

Thanks, Sharon for posting the pics. I need the same affect that you achieved, getting rid of the rolls. My friend and I call it our apron and this dress I bought shoes it. I really appreciate your info.

The dress looks great on you, very pretty.

I was so scared that I wasn't going to find firmware to work! I kept thinking of that pair of Spanx in my drawer that I've worn and I seriously felt like maybe this dress should go back!! While I do participate in Yoga, I am hardly a contortionist, so the thought of trying to pull the other ones up to wear and then having to maneuver this dress in a bathroom while having those stupid things on was frightening! The rolls are under control with the thinner ones. I work out at the gym and am very active, but the rolls are likely to stay in some way, shape or form. Thank goodness for firmware!

I love your dress! I'm wearing the shorter version, only in pewter, for my son's wedding in November.

Thanks so much! I wanted the pewter in the longer dress, however they didn't have my size and I was afraid to order at this late date. To be honest, I wanted to wear a shorter dress, but the one I had purchased at Boscovs really wasn't quite enough for a wedding. One of my cruise friends in Florida wants me to bring it on the cruise we have booked on Princess in October. We pack uber light, so I don't think it's going to happen.....I'm actually hoping to turn my weight loss around big time. Only time will tell.

Edited by islandgirlejfan

• 2 weeks later...

Very pretty dress. I think you achieved the smoothness you wanted.

I have had similar success with Spanx Power Panties; I need thigh shaping and these work great because the are a mid-thigh length. I buy a size larger than the size chart suggests. They are lightweight and easy to put on and give smoothness without too much compression.

Ladies, I need some help. I just received a dress I ordered on line and I love it. However, it is snug in the tummy. I can live with that. The bust and shoulders fit perfectly.

Here is my problem. It is clingy so it shows good curves and not so good curves. I need something that smooths so the dress is a little less clingy and gives the illusion of smooth curves.

I tried spanx in the past but was not happy and I think I may have ordered the wrong size.

How do you know what size you should get? My legs are fine so I don't really need anything that is long in the thigh. I want to be comfortable as the main use of the dress will be a concert and a dinner.

Please, any suggestions are appreciated.

I would suggest a one piece-spanx work, or any brand that has a full one piece. If you just wear a girdle type garment, you might have a "muffin top", which might look worse then a belly. If it were me, I would consider a long jacket, shawl or something else to hide what you do not want others to see.

When all else fails, return the dress and purchase something more flattering that you will feel comfortable in without a restrictive undergarment.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic