St.Croix has been issued a "State of Emergency"

Nicksmom82

Just read an updated newspaper article concerning St.Croix's state of affairs of unruling jest. The island has been granted a"State of Emergency"t for major shootings & deaths due to gang warfare. This has happened in Christiansted. We are currently booked on the "AOS" for their 10/17/3015 sailing. This island is our first stop. This current news has me very worried on stopping here.

Royal Caribbean has a responsibility on keeping its passengers safe & secure . So this has me very concerned. I'm hoping that they are looking into this matter & will do something about their future decisions on stopping here.

Very concerned on this matter. My husband and I cruise all the time. My thoughts are w/ our dear friends,this is only their second cruise . And they've mentioned how they've heard about how not-safe going to islands are. I just tell them in general that any where in the world things can happen. I don't want them getting any wiff of this until need be. I don't need nervous nellies traveling w/us. But I want of course the four of us to be " safe " And of course our fellow passengers cruising on "AOS"

:confused:

Go over to the St Croix ports of call board for more accurate information. Fredricksted, where you will be docking is safe. All the violence is on the other side of the island and it's all gang related. There's a nice beach a short walk from the pier, Rainbow beach I think. Too bad these things happen and I'm sure that if they do not think it's safe the ship will not dock there.

I remember reading this a few weeks ago. IMHO if its gets that dangerous, the ships will pull out of that port. I know they have done it before. I would ask the folks who were there on 9/6 sailing how things were and also ask the folks on the 9/27 sailing to let you know how things go.

I would stick with the cruise ship excursions for now if your really worried about it. But like you said, it can happen anywhere. Fredrickstead where the ship docks has always been the rougher side of the island to begin with. I have been going to St.Croix for 45 years now and have never never felt unsafe.

...there has been a lot of upheaval in the Caribbean islands......you should check out the crime stats oh, say, St, Thomas, Jamaica and the Bahamas for a few. It's turning into a reason to sail the big ships and stay at sea. That being said just use your head and stay away from sketchy areas and in the tourist areas.

This crime has been going on and off for about 20 years or so. I remember reading about some tourists shot on a golf course awhile back. Cruise lines did drop this port and only recently added it on.

We went there last year and we really enjoyed it, thought the island was beautiful and never felt unsafe. Too bad for the people who depend on tourists.

I would stick with the cruise ship excursions for now if your really worried about it. But like you said, it can happen anywhere. Fredrickstead where the ship docks has always been the rougher side of the island to begin with. I have been going to St.Croix for 45 years now and have never never felt unsafe.

Agree with both your recommendation and comments.

...there has been a lot of upheaval in the Caribbean islands......you should check out the crime stats oh, say, St, Thomas, Jamaica and the Bahamas for a few. It's turning into a reason to sail the big ships and stay at sea. That being said just use your head and stay away from sketchy areas and in the tourist areas.

Then for us there would be no reason to cruise at all............:rolleyes:

That incident awhile back was 40 years ago....stx has tried hard to get ships back,building a beautiful terminal and hoping they will come....my first trip is on Feb and we plan to rent a car and explore unless the national guard turn us away....am sure rc will not dock there if it is dangerous...

That incident awhile back was 40 years ago....stx has tried hard to get ships back,building a beautiful terminal and hoping they will come....my first trip is on Feb and we plan to rent a car and explore unless the national guard turn us away....am sure rc will not dock there if it is dangerous...

LOL yeah I was thinking that was at least 30 years ago. I do remember it happening though as our family did Thanksgiving on St Croix for many many years and I have started that tradition with my own family and their significant others.

My husband and I were on the Adventure last week and we visited St. Croix on September 6. I observed nothing but passengers having a good time. Nothing scary or disconcerting happened at all. Many passengers walked to the beach near the dock. (I think it is called Freedom Beach.) We went took the shuttle to Rainbow beach. Others reported having a good time at San Castle hotel or on ship excursions. All the local tourism workers we encountered were friendly and seemed eager to please. In light of the warning, just don't go off the beaten path.

The cruise lines will make the call (no pun intended) as to whether or not to call at St.Croix due to the violence. However, if the violence is happening on the other side of the island, where no cruise ship passenger is going (under ship excursions, always remember this), they won't cancel. I'm sure you will have a great time, just know where not to go! This is the same for every island, just most aren't broadcasted to an extreme extent. I think because STX is a US Virgin Island it's a bigger deal to the media.

The island has been granted a"State of Emergency"t for major shootings & deaths due to gang warfare. We are currently booked on the "AOS" for their 10/17/3015 sailing.

I would not worry. You will not be sailing for another 1000 years according to your sail date you mentioned. I am sure things will be better by then. I was not aware you could book cruises with RCCL over 1000 years in advance. Heck, I want to book for X-Mas 2017 and I cannot even find that posted yet.

P.S. I am assuming the OP meant 2015, but could not pass this up.;)

We are on this cruise as well (doing the week prior too). I don't think we have anything planned at this stop, but most likely won't if this is the case!!:eek:

Thanks for the update.

If you are doing the cruise the week before on the October 10 cruise, come by the roll call during these last 26 days. There are a few folks from PA in the roll call! :cool:

My husband and I were on the Adventure last week and we visited St. Croix on September 6. I observed nothing but passengers having a good time. Nothing scary or disconcerting happened at all. Many passengers walked to the beach near the dock. (I think it is called Freedom Beach.) We went took the shuttle to Rainbow beach. Others reported having a good time at San Castle hotel or on ship excursions. All the local tourism workers we encountered were friendly and seemed eager to please. In light of the warning, just don't go off the beaten path.

seabeew - what did you think of Rainbow Beach?

not sure what you read but state department has no warnings

fodors no warnings other than usual about at night and leaving things out

http://www.fodors.com/world/caribbean/us-virgin-islands/st-croix/travel-tips/safety-2810548

#4 in us news as best

http://travel.usnews.com/Rankings/Best_Caribbean_Vacations/

Most crime is local where the people know each other

http://www.**********/general_usvi/faq/#safety

I would not really worry about it any more than any other place where you make in a month what they earn in a year.

Stcroixsource.com is St.Croix local newspaper. This is where I read about what's going on over there.It was dated 9/14/2015 and was done by their Governor

Osbert Potter.

I'm not a timid traveler by no means. Have traveled to many islands,ports,countries.You just have to be very well aware of your surroundings and in the mist of it all have FUN ~

I'll never stop crusing love it to much.

And Russ Lomas, thanks for catching my typo lol lol lol -3015- hey ya never know what kind of " space-cruise-ships "will be flying out there & maybe I'll have also found the "Fountain of Youth". . . . I plan on cruising for ever !!!

Have a great night everyone! Still looking forward to my sailing!!!!!

seabeew - what did you think of Rainbow Beach?]

My husband and I liked it, but we did a mixture of rustic and hotel beaches. Rainbow was definitely rustic. The water was warm and calm and the drinks were good. It had an authentic Caribbean beach bar flare.

On the other hand, it rocky getting into the water so water shoes are needed. Also the bathrooms were men and women's ports potties.

I would go back because was so beautiful.

I would not worry. You will not be sailing for another 1000 years according to your sail date you mentioned. I am sure things will be better by then. I was not aware you could book cruises with RCCL over 1000 years in advance. Heck, I want to book for X-Mas 2017 and I cannot even find that posted yet.

P.S. I am assuming the OP meant 2015, but could not pass this up.;)

Best laugh I've had in a long time.

Thanks Heather.

Here is what I posted on the other thread bout this. St. Croix is being proactive since they know what can happen if the cruise ships stop coming.

"Baltimore, with a population of about 10 times St Croix has had 227 homicides in 2015 compared to St Croix's 9, or about 1/2 the per capita rate. This took place at night & well away from the pier. You are much more likely to run into crime in Miami before you get on the ship.

St. Croix spent 40 years trying to recover from the shock of the Fountain Valley Massacre in 1972. Cruise ships did not port, except very occasionally, when I was living there, hurting the economy. The crime rate is of great concern because of this, plus this seems to be gang related, so time to get very serious. They don't want another incident like the one in St. Martin.

This is a lovely island with wonderful people. Please get off the ship & find out what this island has to offer"

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm getting very tired of answering these same questions over and over so I'm going to handle this right now. I'm trying very hard not to get upset with the constant sensationalizing and disparaging of my home.

Here's the deal, are you planning to buy any drugs while you are here? Perhaps an illegal firearm? Are you currently feuding with a rival gang in the housing projects?

I'm guessing none of the above apply to anyone on these forums, which means you will be absolutely FINE here!

We have gangs, drugs, and violence, like any other major american city. Avoid the areas where these things happen and you are perfectly safe!

I don't even lock the doors on my house, hell I don't even have a lock on my gate, that's how safe St. Croix is if you stay away from the projects.

Please come enjoy your visit and quit worrying about bogeymen in the news.

The St. Croix Source has never been a reputable source for anything, please try reading the VI Consortium before you speak badly of my home.