Late Night Room Service Fee?

cle-guy

When did X start charging a $3.95 fee for late night room service delivery?

From their website:

24-hour in-stateroom dining

Perhaps a day of kayaking, shopping or golfing has you feeling pleasantly languid. Or, was it the afternoon spent relaxing with a novel that has you so serene? Either way, when you're in the mood to relax and dine in the comfort of your stateroom, Celebrity offers 24-hour in-stateroom dining. The service is complimentary, except when ordered between 11 PM and 6 AM when there is a $3.95 fee per room service order.

This discussion came to light in a recent Room service tipping thread.

Hi Cle-guy,

As best as I can recall, the late night surcharge has been around for a while. FWIW, Royal Caribbean does the same, as do several other lines. I do not agree with it, especially with Cruise pricing at the highest level in years.

Cruise lines don't want a bad rap for Nickel and Diming. This type of stuff does not help their cause.

I learned about it a year or so ago, I believe. I felt it was inevitable, I imagine because deliverers would often get stiffed altogether - and they deserve something for working OT. Their hours are excruciating as it is, and I bet they give up on already precious little sleep to make an extra couple dollars.

I learned about it a year or so ago, I believe. I felt it was inevitable, I imagine because deliverers would often get stiffed altogether - and they deserve something for working OT. Their hours are excruciating as it is, and I bet they give up on already precious little sleep to make an extra couple dollars.

I often do late night room service.

I know i have not been charged ever, last summer I did 2 Bermuda cruises one inside and one AquaClass, and not billed. Most of mine are in suites, so can see how in a suite they may waive the late dining fee, but I know I had late nights in both my inside and AQ last summer.

Maybe it's a fee they can but don't charge like the fuel surcharge that never got billed?

As to working OT, many of the crew are hired specifically for overnights, so they are there anyway, it's not like someone is ringing them in their cabin at 3:15 am and saying, "hey Bob, we got another late night delivery, get dressed and get down to the galley would ya?!". Overnight the kitchens have to be humming baking breads and pastries for breakfast, cutting all the fruits needed for drinks garnishes, defrosting frozen meets and fishes, etc.

There is a person around who can deliver a Room Service tray.

I worked a midnight shift for a while, my shift differential was 50 cents per hour. But I chose to work the midnights and knew what I was getting into.

I know i have not been charged ever, last summer I did 2 Bermuda cruises one inside and one AquaClass, and not billed. Most of mine are in suites, so can see how in a suite they may waive the late dining fee.

My question to you is, while you have not been charged for late night room service, did you tip your delivery person when he brought your order?

In my view, I'm relieved to know that a late night room service order will incur an automatic charge, so I need not be concerned with scrambling around for cash to tip that wonderful person who brings to my cabin what I want to indulge in at 1:00 in the morning.

My question to you is, while you have not been charged for late night room service, did you tip your delivery person when he brought your order?

In my view, I'm relieved to know that a late night room service order will incur an automatic charge, so I need not be concerned with scrambling around for cash to tip that wonderful person who brings to my cabin what I want to indulge in at 1:00 in the morning.

How do you know the charge goes to the food runner? My guess is like a pizza delivery charge the fee goes to the house.

When in doubt I tip a little extra. I think of the great time I am having with my family while I know a lot of these guys have little ones at home in underdeveloped countries and have 6 months ahead of them before reuniting with their loved ones...whats a couple bucks if you are requesting a special service? I am just grateful I am able to cruise with my wife and babies!!!:)

I do not, but I happily pay my standard gratuities in advance and do not modify them. Included in those are all F&B staff and Cabin staff.

The $3.95 delivery fee is not going to their pockets I'm certain, it's likely just a charge. I think it work like Domino's pizza does, "the $2.95 delivery fee is not a tip paid to your driver". I also see similar language often on hotel room service hangers, that a delivery feel will be added and is not a tip to the wait staff.

Edited by cle-guy

We always tip a small amount for room service and never remove tips, if anything add extra for excellent service. Have not noticed an extra fee, but we don't usually order late at night. Room service is advertised as a perk and should not have any extra charge regardless of the time it is utilized. Charging for any room service is tacky, but is this really a policy? Celebrity, are you at the top of the heap or moving towards the bottom with more extra charges? We don't want to be nickeled and dimed to death.

I know i have not been charged ever, last summer I did 2 Bermuda cruises one inside and one AquaClass, and not billed. Most of mine are in suites, so can see how in a suite they may waive the late dining fee, but I know I had late nights in both my inside and AQ last summer.

Maybe it's a fee they can but don't charge like the fuel surcharge that never got billed?

As to working OT, many of the crew are hired specifically for overnights, so they are there anyway, it's not like someone is ringing them in their cabin at 3:15 am and saying, "hey Bob, we got another late night delivery, get dressed and get down to the galley would ya?!". Overnight the kitchens have to be humming baking breads and pastries for breakfast, cutting all the fruits needed for drinks garnishes, defrosting frozen meets and fishes, etc.

There is a person around who can deliver a Room Service tray.

I worked a midnight shift for a while, my shift differential was 50 cents per hour. But I chose to work the midnights and knew what I was getting into.

My waiter on the Eclipse in March was doing night time room service. He started work in the dining room for dinner and worked straight through till morning and then was off until dinner. He was pretty exhausted as it was hard for him to get any sleep during the day as his room mate would be coming and going and the daytime ship noises.

Just went to Celebrity website. Stated that there is a $3.95 charge for room service between 11 pm and 6 am. Room service seems to be free for all cat. for other times. How much revenue can this generate? Not a huge charge -just the idea of an extra charge added on. Celebrity, are you sure you want to do this? It's a real turnoff. What's next????

I just spent some time on the Celebrity website.

If you look up cabin categories and amenities every cabin category states "24 hour complimentary room service" .

If you look up restaurants and room service that's where the 11pm to 6 am charge is mentioned.

I know the site is notoriously bad but somebody really needs to make up their mind.

(And I agree that the charge really seems they've taken nickle and diming to a new level - even though we've never ordered room service between these hours - it still bothers me.)

It is so sad that the web site continues to be incorrect and inconsistent on the information provided....enough that it's really almost as useful as calling celebrity and asking a question because you never know if you got an answer, a guess, or someone who had no clue on the phone.

Certainly, you would have an interesting complaint to your CC company if you chose to contest the charge.....and I bet celebrity HQ would fight you tooth an nail for that $3.95.

It's a ridiculous fee that probably generates maybe $100 a cruise....but someone in HQ likely got an award or perhaps even promoted for making the suggestion on how to increase revenue.

On the other hand, I can't see this ever mattering to us....we actually sleep on the ship :)

On the other hand, I can't see this ever mattering to us....we actually sleep on the ship :)

Us too...and the few times I've been hungry enough to eat late in the evening we usually stop by and get a piece of pizza or other munchies in the buffet area which I believe still have food till 1AM......

Been a long long time since we ordered room service later than that and one of the reasons is because it always seemed to take a ridiculously long time to get the food, at which point one or both of us would be asleep.....we try to be smarter about food on cruises these days......

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6537

The fee was instituted fleet wide over the last few weeks.

No fee for Concierge, Aqua or Suites.

Not a big amount if we must eat "late night munchies" but it adds a tiny bit of motivation to stop eating at hours that under normal circumstances I wouldn't be eating (like at home I don't eat snacks that late).

I guess they did have to give back some "perk" for CC since most of the others have been discontinued like flowers, etc.

Like others, I've never used it but it seems pretty petty. Are there more than 10 people up after 11 pm on Celebrity ships anyway?