Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

FAB1

3) They have managed to produce a 'new' system where no-one is completely clear what the new 'rules' are regarding priority boarding, people in hotels, people travelling a long way as 700 posts on here testify.

Whilst I agree there seems to be some confusion about priority boarding I am not sure there are any special rules about people staying in hotels or travelling long way. they surely don't have any priority over locals.

Whilst I agree there seems to be some confusion about priority boarding I am not sure there are any special rules about people staying in hotels or travelling long way. they surely don't have any priority over locals.

Sorry I didn't explain that too well. I didn't mean that they should have any priority - I was meaning that a lot of different groups of people on this thread don't seem to know how the new system works as it has not been well publicised by P&O. My original point was that they have complicated a simple process.

Edited by bee-ess

Florry - I cannot swear to it as I do not have a previous eticket to confirm it but I am fairly sure that the wording on the latest eticket has changed.

davecttr - "Because they can" - quite.

For those who would like P&O to do as other cruiselines do, would they also like 15% to be added to bar prices, heftier suggested tip amounts and US$ accounts instead of Sterling. I don't really need an answer.

Well according to my spreadsheet you do need an answer and that, as far as my pricing experience on Celebrity goes. is that I would very much like P&O to switch all the above.

Of course I can only compare launch prices on both as we need an accessible cabin and therefore need to book early, as a consequence our P&O price is always a Select fare. However the pppd price for all our Southampton cruises shows Celebrity is by far the cheapest.

Their cabin prices are nearly always 10% below P&O, and the OBC we receive is significantly higher, and this despite us having Carnival shareholder benefits.

Tips are higher but on our last 2 cruises, and the next one, these were included in the deal.

Celebrity on Eclipse, like P&O, do not add any gratuity onto the drink price as listed, but thats because both have already added it onto the price.

The end result is that all our final on board invoices have been lower on Celebrity than on P&O, possibly because Celebrity do price in dollars currently at $1.53/£.

My experience as above is IMO why P&O offer far more and much lower saver deals than Celebrity, they need to because savvy early bookers have opted for the far cheaper deals elsewhere, leaving P&O with more unsold cabins.

Edited by terrierjohn

I can't agree or see how you can reasonably defend this change

1) P&O now board later than they did and take longer.

2) Celebrity, RCI and Princess all board quicker as I can testify.

3) They have managed to produce a 'new' system where no-one is completely clear what the new 'rules' are regarding priority boarding, people in hotels, people travelling a long way as 700 posts on here testify.

I am very clear and have posted so. P&O board sooner than they did only 8/9 years ago. The 12.00 boarding has not gone on for ever.

Well according to my spreadsheet you do need an answer and that, as far as my pricing experience on Celebrity goes. is that I would very much like P&O to switch all the above.

Of course I can only compare launch prices on both as we need an accessible cabin and therefore need to book early, as a consequence our P&O price is always a Select fare. However the pppd price for all our Southampton cruises shows Celebrity is by far the cheapest.

Their cabin prices are nearly always 10% below P&O, and the OBC we receive is significantly higher, and this despite us having Carnival shareholder benefits.

Tips are higher but on our last 2 cruises, and the next one, these were included in the deal.

Celebrity on Eclipse, like P&O, do not add any gratuity onto the drink price as listed, but thats because both have already added it onto the price.

The end result is that all our final on board invoices have been lower on Celebrity than on P&O, possibly because Celebrity do price in dollars currently at $1.53/£.

My experience as above is IMO why P&O offer far more and much lower saver deals than Celebrity, they need to because savvy early bookers have opted for the far cheaper deals elsewhere, leaving P&O with more unsold cabins.

I agree John, we have a 2 week Eastern Med cruise booked with Celebrity for next year inc flight. OBC, drinks package and tips for less than I could get it on P&O Select.

I am very clear and have posted so. P&O board sooner than they did only 8/9 years ago. The 12.00 boarding has not gone on for ever.

I know this, but shouldn't it being improved not reverting to the past. I can't see how boarding later then even last year is an improvement, when other lines are boarding earlier.

I think am going to bow out of this thread now as my views seem to be in a minority on this subject

Edited by bee-ess

I know this, but shouldn't it being improved not reverting to the past. I can't see how boarding later then even last year is an improvement, when other lines are boarding earlier.

I think am going to bow out of this thread now as my views seem to be in a minority on this subject

I have not said that it is a good system I only correct people when they get the facts wrong. Whereas, a small number of people just want to have a go at the company. I think that is what gets up people's nose.

Personally I have seen it all before, whatever P&O do someone will have a pop.

The system has not changed only now they are insisting that people will only be boarded as per their boarding time. Something that many people have said should happen for years.

Don't bow out. You have a very valid opinion. P&O are going in the opposite direction to the other cruise lines sailing from Southampton. As I have said before , we were onboard Anthem Of The Seas 4 weeks ago at 10.30, no loyalty benefit or cabin preference. A far bigger ship than any P&O vessel. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity use local port agents to arrange their boarding so it comes down to costing as to why P&O cannot manage flexible boarding with smaller ships than Royal. Clearly they don't want to pay the fees for more check in agents. Nothing about the changes is for the benefit of passengers. It is ALL about saving money.

While I mention it, why do Celebrity and P&O start disembarking at 6.30 at Southampton when P&O start (in our experience) at 8 am? Is this another cost issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

I have not said that it is a good system I only correct people when they get the facts wrong. Whereas, a small number of people just want to have a go at the company. I think that is what gets up people's nose.

Personally I have seen it all before, whatever P&O do someone will have a pop.

The system has not changed only now they are insisting that people will only be boarded as per their boarding time. Something that many people have said should happen for years.

Dai, who are the many people that have said should happen for years? P&O employees and stalwart P&O cruisers? It doesn't benefit any passenger so I'm not sure who would be in favour unless they are P&O staff. The US lines manage boarding at Southampton with fluidity so why can't P&O? In fact in our many sailings with P&O from Southampton previously boarding has been fluid and easy so what is the issue they have with it now? Unless they want to pay for less check in agents. Surely no one can say the changes are an improvement?

I'm not having a go at you but I cannot see why P&O cannot adhere to their existing process or why (unless it's cost based) there is a need to change it and upset so many other passengers. It's just another notch which makes us move away from P&O.

Edited by kevinyork

Dai, who are the many people that have said should happen for years? P&O employees and stalwart P&O cruisers? It doesn't benefit any passenger so I'm not sure who would be in favour unless they are P&O staff. The US lines manage boarding at Southampton with fluidity so why can't P&O? In fact in our many sailings with P&O from Southampton previously boarding has been fluid and easy so what is the issue they have with it now? Unless they want to pay for less check in agents. Surely no one can say the changes are an improvement?

All checkin desks were manned. So saving money is not a factor. I would have thought the change would have been cost neutral apart from people not spending money on board at 12.00. In Ocean they have put in more security machines, with the extra staff to work them so that is extra cost.

I am not sure that I would wish to disembark at 6.30 as mentioned above. If that is the time for the other lines then they can keep it.

The people who have said that the system they had before had been around for ever where those who were complaining about the new system.

I am sure I have read somewhere that there has been pressure by the Port of Southampton to regulate embarkation?

Am I imagining this?

That was being talked about in the winter of 13/14. RCI and Celebrity tried it in the May but there was total chaos and it was abandoned very soon after. There have also been whispers that if P&O can make it work then the others will follow. But as I said only a whisper.

We have sailed 4 times with Celebrity, Once with Royal Caribbean . Each time we have been onboard by 2pm We have also have sailed with P & O the last time was on the Britannia in July. Arrived by coach at 2pm didn't actually board the till 4pm, I found this rather a long wait, we even saw the "Anthem of the seas leaving at 4:30 and given that this ship carries far more passengers then the Britannia, why was it another hour before we set sail.

This seems to be the norm for P & O :mad:

Callyscally

Supposedly there has been discussion by parties in Southampton about staggering embarkation (I read it somewhere too) so possibly there has been a suggestion to stagger disembarkation also. As I have said earlier if there are problems for parties in Southampton (transport, traffic etc) perhaps they could do their bit in some way to ease the problem.

I keep saying I will not continue posting as the thread seems to be going round in circles but then I read the latest posts and get sucked in. My own fault I should give it a rest.

terrierjohn - we are fortunate that we do not (at present) need an accessible cabin and are able to book later when offers become available so our experience is quite different to yours. We have only ever had obc with P&O and not very much. I appreciate that we cannot have it both ways - cheaper prices (offers) and obc. We have always had 15% added to bar bills on Celebrity (not been on Eclipse), Princess, Cunard. Drinks and gratuities have been included on Azamara but their prices are generally higher - swings/roundabouts.

It's amazing how P&O cost cutting is blamed for this so-called chaos (that doesn't actually seem to be chaos). I wonder how many pax on board a given cruise actually paid a full (or close to full) price fare, rather than actively contributing to the cost cutting by buying cheap & last minute.

I appreciate that those who HAVE bought at full price fell aggrieved by this - and rightly so. Unfortunately the market is changing and P&O is targeting the traditional package holiday.

Last year I thought I had a bargain getting 14 nights at £999 pp. This year, you can get 14 nights at £799pp. One this is certain, whilst you can buy 14 nights for £799 instead of what was closer to £2k a few years ago, it is inevitable that costs are going to be cut. By building hotel barges that can accommodate 3000 pax P&O may well have shot themselves in the foot. Only time will tell.

Whenever I've arrived at Southampton, the longest queue has always been cars waiting to get to the terminal building. Clearly the port is not particularly well designed for these monster ships and enforcing staggered check in times will be as much about controlling traffic en-route to the terminal as it is about the boarding process.

In the meantime, arrive at your specified time (or if you have to arrive early due to travel/hotel), drop your luggage off at the hole in the wall and head back in to S'ton for some lunch/browsing/shopping).

Whenever I've arrived at Southampton, the longest queue has always been cars waiting to get to the terminal building. Clearly the port is not particularly well designed for these monster ships and enforcing staggered check in times will be as much about controlling traffic en-route to the terminal as it is about the boarding process.

In the meantime, arrive at your specified time (or if you have to arrive early due to travel/hotel), drop your luggage off at the hole in the wall and head back in to S'ton for some lunch/browsing/shopping).

This is exactly why it won't work as scheduled. As you and everyone else have noticed, you can be within sight of the dock gates and not be sure of getting to the ship in an hour. So people with a late booking will get their car to the car park before their scheduled time, no matter what. That's the point of the hypothetical shuttle back into Southampton, to drop off luggage and car and yet still not clutter up the terminal.

Supposedly there has been discussion by parties in Southampton about staggering embarkation (I read it somewhere too) so possibly there has been a suggestion to stagger disembarkation also. As I have said earlier if there are problems for parties in Southampton (transport, traffic etc) perhaps they could do their bit in some way to ease the problem.

I keep saying I will not continue posting as the thread seems to be going round in circles but then I read the latest posts and get sucked in. My own fault I should give it a rest.

terrierjohn - we are fortunate that we do not (at present) need an accessible cabin and are able to book later when offers become available so our experience is quite different to yours. We have only ever had obc with P&O and not very much. I appreciate that we cannot have it both ways - cheaper prices (offers) and obc. We have always had 15% added to bar bills on Celebrity (not been on Eclipse), Princess, Cunard. Drinks and gratuities have been included on Azamara but their prices are generally higher - swings/roundabouts.

So if as has been suggested its not totally P and O, but also the port of Southampton, and the city council who want to try and get all the ships to stagger all their boarding times and disembark times I wonder what other will say on the American ships when they suddenly find they are given a time they have to stick to.

It maybe that P and O were chosen to lead the way and if they can make it work, the others will follow.

I guess at the moment you could have an extra 2-3000 cars all trying to get into the port at round about the same time.

All checkin desks were manned. So saving money is not a factor. I would have thought the change would have been cost neutral apart from people not spending money on board at 12.00. In Ocean they have put in more security machines, with the extra staff to work them so that is extra cost.

I am not sure that I would wish to disembark at 6.30 as mentioned above. If that is the time for the other lines then they can keep it.

The people who have said that the system they had before had been around for ever where those who were complaining about the new system.

Dai, On Celebrity disembarkation is generally from 6:30 (self disembarkation with own luggage) up until about 9:00/9:30; and early in the cruise you can choose your preferred time, the MDR and buffet serve breakfast up to 8:30.

Personally I prefer to be off ship by about 8:30 because our journey home normally takes between 5 and 7 hours, dependant on traffic.

These times seem to satisfy most passengers, and of course it does mean that Celebrity are able to commence boarding by a scheduled 11:30, and quite often even earlier. Whoever manages their system seems to be much more flexible than those at P&O, which I have to admit suits me far better than the rigidity displayed by P&O.

But I am still happy to cruise with P&O, I just wish they were more like Celebrity.;)

This is exactly why it won't work as scheduled. As you and everyone else have noticed, you can be within sight of the dock gates and not be sure of getting to the ship in an hour. So people with a late booking will get their car to the car park before their scheduled time, no matter what. That's the point of the hypothetical shuttle back into Southampton, to drop off luggage and car and yet still not clutter up the terminal.

Only it is working. Those most upset are those who have said oh you can just turn up when you like. For everyoneelse it works.

We must not forget the Celebrity and RCI are both up to date and do on line check in, so everything is effectively done before you even arrive at the cruise terminal...we did Celebrity for the first time this year and were on board by 11.15 after arriving at 11.00... No pushing. No shoving. No moaning...we picked 8.00 am for disemarkation and were actually off at 7.45... Easy,no queues, no people blocking public areas and stairs etc...it was a very pleasant experience. I'm not sure where p&o get their ideas from but they are not appeasing a lot of their passengers at the moment.. We are next on board for the Aurora new year cruise.. We won't know our embarkation time until 5 weeks before but have said we will leave our home at the usual time and arrive when we arrive..if it is before our allotted time we are happy to sit and wait with our bottle of fizz (or 2)! i think our days of cruising with p&o from Southampton are coming to an end and we will be looking more at fly cruises...arrive at airport, when it's convenient for us, nice exec lounge to relax in and hopefully straight to the warm weather!

I do keep saying though that Cunard manage to have cabins ready and always have upon embarkation so have never understood why p&o have always found it so difficult!

I do keep saying though that Cunard manage to have cabins ready and always have upon embarkation so have never understood why p&o have always found it so difficult!

Could it be that perhaps P&O are at the bottom of the Carnival pecking order, and that Cunard, Princess, HAL etc, get the best staff and have bigger budgets to enable them to give a better service.

I still regret the P&O board decision to renege on the RCCL merger and grab Carnivals dollar instead, maybe if they had stayed with RCCL, P&O could now have Solstice class ships and Celebrity style service................then again both Carnival and RCCL only really wanted Princess, P&O was never the true prize.

for all the hot air on here, I was talking to our pcc today and asked if there had been any feedback from those that have cruised so far.

She said no one had come back to her and complained at all.

Is all the hot air here and not at the actual terminal.

Or do we have to wait for those whose posts have been the most anti to cruise ,for them to come back and report chaos chaos chaos

Could it be that perhaps P&O are at the bottom of the Carnival pecking order, and that Cunard, Princess, HAL etc, get the best staff and have bigger budgets to enable them to give a better service.

I still regret the P&O board decision to renege on the RCCL merger and grab Carnivals dollar instead, maybe if they had stayed with RCCL, P&O could now have Solstice class ships and Celebrity style service................then again both Carnival and RCCL only really wanted Princess, P&O was never the true prize.

We will probably never know unless someone leaks the profit margins of the various Carnival lines. I am getting a sort of vague impression that P&O might be the cash cow compared with the others.

What is obvious is these new arrangements are, despite what P&O say, not for the benefit of passengers. Previously they could service all the cabins by 2pm. If they boarding by deck they could re-allocate the stewards and have most of the decks ready by noon!. My 13 cruises from Southampton have all resulted in boarding by 1pm but if i have to wait until 3.30 i will not be a happy bunny, especially as i book a long time in advance and pay select fare, not through choice but necessity as i cruise solo.

ps - maybe the other lines have earlier disembarkment times because significant numbers of their passengers have flight connections to make?