Have you been denied boarding for no visa?

Looking at doing the Ovation in May 2016 from Dubai to Singapore.

The visa required is over £80 per person for the stop in India. As we are not really bothered about getting off the ship in India I am considering not getting visas.

Have you ever been denied boarding for not having a visa or is it just a case of you cannot leave the ship without a visa once arriving in India?

Thanks

Pete.

Well no I have not been denied Boarding for not having a visa, as I would never even consider not having the proper travel documentation for a trip.

To answer the question about being denied Boarding. Yes you would most likely be denied Boarding. Local authorities most of the times will not clear single passengers, but the entire ship. So they won´t clear the ship for anyone to go ashore unless the ship can provide proper documentation for every single passenger onboard.

Once a ship is cleared there is usually no further passport controll / Immigration. At that Point there´s only the usual seapass check at the Gangway and the ship has no means to stop you from going ashore.

The visa required is over £80 per person for the stop in India. As we are not really bothered about getting off the ship in India I am considering not getting visas.

Have you ever been denied boarding for not having a visa or is it just a case of you cannot leave the ship without a visa once arriving in India?

Thanks

Pete.

You will be denied boarding if you do not have an Indian visa. You are in Indian waters.

It states this on RCIs website: http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/visa-information/

India

UK and ROI passport holders require a visa to enter India. Currently Immigration in India is not allowing any group visas onboard or exceptions to this requirement and if you do not possess the correct visa for India you may be denied boarding so we strongly advise you to obtain an Indian visa. Please ensure you give full details of your total holiday itinerary including cruise, as this will determine the type of visa required.

As for being "not really bothered" to get off in India......really???:rolleyes:

Edited by little britain

You will be denied boarding if you do not have an Indian visa. You are in Indian waters.

It states this on RCIs website: http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/visa-information/

India

UK and ROI passport holders require a visa to enter India. Currently Immigration in India is not allowing any group visas onboard or exceptions to this requirement and if you do not possess the correct visa for India you may be denied boarding so we strongly advise you to obtain an Indian visa. Please ensure you give full details of your total holiday itinerary including cruise, as this will determine the type of visa required.

I read that on the website, I have also emailed RCI for clarification - it's the may be that interested me.

As for being "not really bothered" to get off in India......really???:rolleyes:

The Indian sub-continent and Africa are two places that I have never had any interest in visiting. The cruise looks good for a few days in Dubai before and an after cruise visit to Singapore and then onto Hong Kong.

I read that on the website, I have also emailed RCI for clarification - it's the may be that interested me.

That just seems like a poor word choice as the rest of the sentence basically says get a visa or you aren't going.

ps and I wouldn't depend on the word of a random RC rep who says otherwise.

Edited by marci22

Well no I have not been denied Boarding for not having a visa, as I would never even consider not having the proper travel documentation for a trip.

I have never in the past travelled without all of the proper documentation and insurance.

However, on a recent Suez cruise on the Rhapsody I was amazed how many people did not have a visa for Turkey. As the cruise finished at Istanbul a visa was necessary to leave the ship even if only going to the airport. These guests were not denied boarding but were told onboard they could not leave the ship without a visa.

Pete

However, on a recent Suez cruise on the Rhapsody I was amazed how many people did not have a visa for Turkey. As the cruise finished at Istanbul a visa was necessary to leave the ship even if only going to the airport. These guests were not denied boarding but were told onboard they could not leave the ship without a visa.

So what did they do.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1611817

NorbertsNiece (uk) was the last one to respond. She seems to have the most recent experience.

From TripAdvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k8397684-Do_I_need_an_Indian_visa_while_cruising-Cruises.html

Edited by marci22

Quote:

Originally Posted by marci22 viewpost.gif

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1611817

NorbertsNiece (uk) was the last one to respond. She seems to have the most recent experience.

NorbertsNiece was also on the Rhapsody Suez cruise with me - she also did the cruise prior to the Suez which went to India.

Her experience, and my BIL's experience of getting an Indian visa is what put me off getting one.

I will wait to hear back from Royal - if a visa is a must, I may just cancel and do something different. £160, having to send passport away and a whole lot of hassel just ain't worth it.

Pete

The Indian sub-continent and Africa are two places that I have never had any interest in visiting. The cruise looks good for a few days in Dubai before and an after cruise visit to Singapore and then onto Hong Kong.

Of course, Singapore has as much atmosphere and ambiance as an airport departure lounge, and India has......:rolleyes:

JMHO of course.

Edited by little britain

About 50 people were denied boarding in Port Canaveral for our Around the Horn cruise in 2009 as they did not have a visa for Brazil.

Royal did assist those who wanted to obtain a visa by helping them get to Miami & get an expedited visa. They then flew to St. Maarten to board the ship.

It was quite the talk of the ship!:D

Sherri:)

Thanks

Pete.

If you don't have a visa then a master card will also be fine![emoji23]

Thanks

Pete.

Have you considered the e-Tourist Visa? It's half the price you are quoting:

https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html